Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
  2. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
  3. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: Pest Cocoon? atop a carrot? Green Knees, Sep 13, 2020 at 9:21 AM
  4. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
  5. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
  6. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
  7. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
    Latest: coir for compost Mike Allen, Jun 15, 2020
  8. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

New Photo Comp.!

:spinning: Hi everyone I just wanted to tell you about our new photo Comp... Please look here to enter........ :spinning: 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE..! (JUNE)
    :spinning: Hi everyone I just wanted to tell you about our new photo Comp... Please look here to enter........ :spinning: 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE..! (JUNE)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. weedaway

Have you seen this offer ?

Well, not so, it depends on the bulb quality and size, most of those bulbs and sizes you can get for £2 -£3 a pack, apart from the Camasia, which is where the value is, so by adding the postage,...
    Well, not so, it depends on the bulb quality and size, most of those bulbs and sizes you can get for £2 -£3 a pack, apart from the Camasia, which is where the value is, so by adding the postage, you would be better off buying the bulbs you wanted from a reputable nursery, and it would cost...
    Well, not so, it depends on the bulb quality and size, most of those bulbs and sizes you can get for £2 -£3 a pack, apart from the Camasia, which is where the value is, so by adding the postage, you would be better off buying the bulbs you wanted...
    Well, not so, it depends on the bulb quality and size, most of those bulbs and sizes you can get for £2 -£3 a pack, apart from the Camasia, which is where the value is, so by adding the postage,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. The Badger

Cutting back lavendar

It’s on the list for the weekend. Thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. SimonZ

Chinese lantern tips

Sorry, but I can't really help. Ours are in a very dry bed, against a wall and West facing. They grow like mad and spread like mad! We don't feed them and just put a little garden compost down...
    Sorry, but I can't really help. Ours are in a very dry bed, against a wall and West facing. They grow like mad and spread like mad! We don't feed them and just put a little garden compost down every five years or so - if we remember. The bed they're in is 25ft long and 4ft wide and they're...
    Sorry, but I can't really help. Ours are in a very dry bed, against a wall and West facing. They grow like mad and spread like mad! We don't feed them and just put a little garden compost down every five years or so - if we remember. The bed...
    Sorry, but I can't really help. Ours are in a very dry bed, against a wall and West facing. They grow like mad and spread like mad! We don't feed them and just put a little garden compost down...
    DSCF4552.JPG DSCF4553.JPG DSCF4687.JPG P1000044.JPG P1490683.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. weedaway

Green Fingers Propagate Red Plants

Yes.. I did grow that on my pergola years ago. Lovely in the Autumn but extremely robust and fast growing. I'd keep it well away from the house.. it's great in the 'right' place.
    Yes.. I did grow that on my pergola years ago. Lovely in the Autumn but extremely robust and fast growing. I'd keep it well away from the house.. it's great in the 'right' place.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. craigm111189

help with turf for a complete beginner

Is that the only piece of lawn you have at the front, or is the lawn next to it yours as well?Small patches of grass for me don't feel worth it. Especially since you're starting with such poor...
    Is that the only piece of lawn you have at the front, or is the lawn next to it yours as well?Small patches of grass for me don't feel worth it. Especially since you're starting with such poor quality soil which needs serious improvement.Have you considered covering it with a layer of...
    Is that the only piece of lawn you have at the front, or is the lawn next to it yours as well?Small patches of grass for me don't feel worth it. Especially since you're starting with such poor quality soil which needs serious improvement.Have...
    Is that the only piece of lawn you have at the front, or is the lawn next to it yours as well?Small patches of grass for me don't feel worth it. Especially since you're starting with such poor...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Pete8

Using flowers of sulphur to lower soil pH

Thanks all for your helpful replies. I haven't actually tested the soil, but wondered why the raspberries were looking unwell. I tracked down the spec of the topsoil I used and it's pH7.8...
    Thanks all for your helpful replies. I haven't actually tested the soil, but wondered why the raspberries were looking unwell. I tracked down the spec of the topsoil I used and it's pH7.8 (Generally my soil is slightly acidic clay). The raised beds were filled to a depth of about 2ft with it. I...
    Thanks all for your helpful replies. I haven't actually tested the soil, but wondered why the raspberries were looking unwell. I tracked down the spec of the topsoil I used and it's pH7.8 (Generally my soil is slightly acidic clay). The raised...
    Thanks all for your helpful replies. I haven't actually tested the soil, but wondered why the raspberries were looking unwell. I tracked down the spec of the topsoil I used and it's pH7.8...
    P1030900.JPG P1030896.JPG P1030897.JPG P1030899.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. bluemoon1502

DIY job AstroTurf removal and returf

No not really, you would need a lot when it looks like there's half and half i think, I'd do it a bit at a time. Or you could put a thick layer of grit and then mix the organic matter with the...
    No not really, you would need a lot when it looks like there's half and half i think, I'd do it a bit at a time. Or you could put a thick layer of grit and then mix the organic matter with the soil, it all depends on what you want to do with the ground.
    No not really, you would need a lot when it looks like there's half and half i think, I'd do it a bit at a time. Or you could put a thick layer of grit and then mix the organic matter with the soil, it all depends on what you want to do with the...
    No not really, you would need a lot when it looks like there's half and half i think, I'd do it a bit at a time. Or you could put a thick layer of grit and then mix the organic matter with the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. RaulDuke

Dying Christmas Tree

Garden Centre may be one way to go at least from there it would be properly rooted. I can't see why you could not bring it in for Christmas but keep it away from radiators.The one you have may...
    Garden Centre may be one way to go at least from there it would be properly rooted. I can't see why you could not bring it in for Christmas but keep it away from radiators.The one you have may not survive.
    Garden Centre may be one way to go at least from there it would be properly rooted. I can't see why you could not bring it in for Christmas but keep it away from radiators.The one you have may not survive.
    Garden Centre may be one way to go at least from there it would be properly rooted. I can't see why you could not bring it in for Christmas but keep it away from radiators.The one you have may...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Matt1180

Newts and weedkiller

I would wait till the weeds re-appear and treat with a herbicide containing 2,4-D which is less deadly to amphibians. You can spot treat using a polythene bag around each weed and spray into that,...
    I would wait till the weeds re-appear and treat with a herbicide containing 2,4-D which is less deadly to amphibians. You can spot treat using a polythene bag around each weed and spray into that, then tie the bag around the weed to maximise effect and avoid runoff into the pond.This treatment...
    I would wait till the weeds re-appear and treat with a herbicide containing 2,4-D which is less deadly to amphibians. You can spot treat using a polythene bag around each weed and spray into that, then tie the bag around the weed to maximise...
    I would wait till the weeds re-appear and treat with a herbicide containing 2,4-D which is less deadly to amphibians. You can spot treat using a polythene bag around each weed and spray into that,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. weedaway

Acer Care & Brown Leaves

Hi @weedaway could it be scorch? I thought acers preferred a bit of shade, and pale leaves like that are prone to being frazzled.
    Hi @weedaway could it be scorch? I thought acers preferred a bit of shade, and pale leaves like that are prone to being frazzled.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Daniel Andrew

Bushes and plants need rescuing

OK, sounds like a plan.
    OK, sounds like a plan.
    OK, sounds like a plan.
    OK, sounds like a plan.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. weedaway

Dreadful Neighbour Problems Involving Your Garden

You say that the neighbours registered childminders are not seen together now?I wonder if they are in a similar situation and one of them must always stay in the vicinity of their home ? Maybe...
    You say that the neighbours registered childminders are not seen together now?I wonder if they are in a similar situation and one of them must always stay in the vicinity of their home ? Maybe worth having a careful word with them .you need not say outright the problems you are having , you...
    You say that the neighbours registered childminders are not seen together now?I wonder if they are in a similar situation and one of them must always stay in the vicinity of their home ? Maybe worth having a careful word with them .you need...
    You say that the neighbours registered childminders are not seen together now?I wonder if they are in a similar situation and one of them must always stay in the vicinity of their home ? Maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Andy Franklin

Old Laurel Hedge

Might be worth a soak once a week if your in a dry area. A little feed may help too. Watch out for too much rock salt on the pavement this winter if its a harsh one and the council go nuts with...
    Might be worth a soak once a week if your in a dry area. A little feed may help too. Watch out for too much rock salt on the pavement this winter if its a harsh one and the council go nuts with the salt spreading. Really easy plant to take cuttings from btw so free replacements if yoj have a...
    Might be worth a soak once a week if your in a dry area. A little feed may help too. Watch out for too much rock salt on the pavement this winter if its a harsh one and the council go nuts with the salt spreading. Really easy plant to take...
    Might be worth a soak once a week if your in a dry area. A little feed may help too. Watch out for too much rock salt on the pavement this winter if its a harsh one and the council go nuts with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ijolly4

rhododendron - flowered then leaves turned brown

So glad you mentioned the pine needles Nigel. These really are so useful, especially on heavy soils and in container growing.
    So glad you mentioned the pine needles Nigel. These really are so useful, especially on heavy soils and in container growing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. ijolly4

Climbing rose - brown leaves ants and bugs

Hi I purchased a climbing rose and planted it in a rear garden border climbing a fence. The garden is East facing. After planting it looked to do well and flowered earlier in the year. After...
    Hi I purchased a climbing rose and planted it in a rear garden border climbing a fence. The garden is East facing. After planting it looked to do well and flowered earlier in the year. After flowering the leaves have slowly turned brown. There are small bugs on the stems and ants (I think they...
    Hi I purchased a climbing rose and planted it in a rear garden border climbing a fence. The garden is East facing. After planting it looked to do well and flowered earlier in the year. After flowering the leaves have slowly turned brown. There...
    Hi I purchased a climbing rose and planted it in a rear garden border climbing a fence. The garden is East facing. After planting it looked to do well and flowered earlier in the year. After...
    IMG_6046.JPG IMG_6045.JPG IMG_6042.JPG IMG_6041.JPG IMG_6040.JPG IMG_6039.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ric1982

How to use these large rocks

I too inherited loads of rocks with the house... and I mean loads. I used some to make a large rockery, The flattish ones were used in a dry stone wall and the rest were used as a border for my...
    I too inherited loads of rocks with the house... and I mean loads. I used some to make a large rockery, The flattish ones were used in a dry stone wall and the rest were used as a border for my newly dug flower beds (in the picture). It usually looks tidier than this and is in need of strimming...
    I too inherited loads of rocks with the house... and I mean loads. I used some to make a large rockery, The flattish ones were used in a dry stone wall and the rest were used as a border for my newly dug flower beds (in the picture). It usually...
    I too inherited loads of rocks with the house... and I mean loads. I used some to make a large rockery, The flattish ones were used in a dry stone wall and the rest were used as a border for my...
    rocks.jpg 034.JPG upload_2020-8-3_17-51-32.jpeg Rockery in March.jpg Rockery 25 Sep 07.jpg DSC00027.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Deltech

How can I kill jasmine?

I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol. Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and...
    I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol. Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and downstairs wc built, so it had to go. The porch had a good metre deep foundations as agreed with the...
    I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol. Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and downstairs wc built, so it had to go. The porch had a...
    I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol. Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Barders

Should these Alliums look like this please?

Thank you @daitheplant, I didn't know that, but I don't think I'll cook with them, my cooking skills are as good as my gardening skills :heehee:
    Thank you @daitheplant, I didn't know that, but I don't think I'll cook with them, my cooking skills are as good as my gardening skills :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. mazambo

Overwintered Brugmansia

So not really a fair comparison?
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. BML

What flowers to plant next year for hot weather?

A lot of the herbs would fit the bill. Sage has lovely foliage, there are various leaf variations, and it has the bonus of wildlife-friendly flowers. Savoury is a good do-er, and will readily...
    A lot of the herbs would fit the bill. Sage has lovely foliage, there are various leaf variations, and it has the bonus of wildlife-friendly flowers. Savoury is a good do-er, and will readily give good ground coverage. I find on my poor dry, sandy soil, it establishes and thrives more...
    A lot of the herbs would fit the bill. Sage has lovely foliage, there are various leaf variations, and it has the bonus of wildlife-friendly flowers. Savoury is a good do-er, and will readily give good ground coverage. I find on my poor dry,...
    A lot of the herbs would fit the bill. Sage has lovely foliage, there are various leaf variations, and it has the bonus of wildlife-friendly flowers. Savoury is a good do-er, and will readily...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice