Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What Jobs Are We Doing In The Garden Today 2020 Snorky85, Jul 12, 2020 at 10:48 PM
  2. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
  3. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: Caterpillar GardeningFin, Jul 10, 2020 at 4:23 PM
  4. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: What to do with this garden? Clare G, Jul 1, 2020
  5. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
  6. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Help plug plants Hobbynut, Jun 30, 2020
  7. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
    Latest: coir for compost Mike Allen, Jun 15, 2020
  8. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

New Photo Comp.!

:spinning: Hi everyone I just wanted to tell you about our new photo Comp... Please look here to enter........ :spinning: 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE..! (JUNE)
    :spinning: Hi everyone I just wanted to tell you about our new photo Comp... Please look here to enter........ :spinning: 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE..! (JUNE)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. RyanOtekki

Please help identify weed taking over lawn

Third pic looks like mallow to me. The leaves are more round than ground ivy.Malva - WikipediaI have problems with it too. The bad news is that it's got a big long taproot, and the plant can...
    Third pic looks like mallow to me. The leaves are more round than ground ivy.Malva - WikipediaI have problems with it too. The bad news is that it's got a big long taproot, and the plant can get fairly large if it gets the chance (at least a foot tall and 2' wide). The good news is that if...
    Third pic looks like mallow to me. The leaves are more round than ground ivy.Malva - WikipediaI have problems with it too. The bad news is that it's got a big long taproot, and the plant can get fairly large if it gets the chance (at least a...
    Third pic looks like mallow to me. The leaves are more round than ground ivy.Malva - WikipediaI have problems with it too. The bad news is that it's got a big long taproot, and the plant can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. mazambo

Brugmansia from seed?

Thanks for the input @pete I was going to wait until next year to start them off but I've soaked them for 24 hours and taken off the pods and planted 6 seeds today in 3" pots, 2 each in 3...
    Thanks for the input @pete I was going to wait until next year to start them off but I've soaked them for 24 hours and taken off the pods and planted 6 seeds today in 3" pots, 2 each in 3 different mixes, seed compost, coir & perlite and sand and peat, probably not necessary but put them on a...
    Thanks for the input @pete I was going to wait until next year to start them off but I've soaked them for 24 hours and taken off the pods and planted 6 seeds today in 3" pots, 2 each in 3 different mixes, seed compost, coir & perlite and sand and...
    Thanks for the input @pete I was going to wait until next year to start them off but I've soaked them for 24 hours and taken off the pods and planted 6 seeds today in 3" pots, 2 each in 3...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. SimonZ

Wildlife garden - best left wild?

Two weeks ago I strimmed the main wild area removing the tall grasses but left the cut long enough to leave the seeding cowslips and orchids etc. I do mow paths through it.The other not so...
    Two weeks ago I strimmed the main wild area removing the tall grasses but left the cut long enough to leave the seeding cowslips and orchids etc. I do mow paths through it.The other not so wild area with stachys, lychnis etc. doesn't get touched until everything has stopped flowering. The...
    Two weeks ago I strimmed the main wild area removing the tall grasses but left the cut long enough to leave the seeding cowslips and orchids etc. I do mow paths through it.The other not so wild area with stachys, lychnis etc. doesn't get...
    Two weeks ago I strimmed the main wild area removing the tall grasses but left the cut long enough to leave the seeding cowslips and orchids etc. I do mow paths through it.The other not so...
    DSCF1773.JPG P1480602.JPG P1480603.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Scotty2088

Garden bank covering

@Scotty2088 ,..you did a good job there and the entire view is easy on the eyes,..it would be a shame to grow anything tall to spoil the view.Pebbles would be better than Grit as the latter...
    @Scotty2088 ,..you did a good job there and the entire view is easy on the eyes,..it would be a shame to grow anything tall to spoil the view.Pebbles would be better than Grit as the latter would wash through,..so larger Pebbles would be ideal,..low growing plants would look great with your...
    @Scotty2088 ,..you did a good job there and the entire view is easy on the eyes,..it would be a shame to grow anything tall to spoil the view.Pebbles would be better than Grit as the latter would wash through,..so larger Pebbles would be...
    @Scotty2088 ,..you did a good job there and the entire view is easy on the eyes,..it would be a shame to grow anything tall to spoil the view.Pebbles would be better than Grit as the latter...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Engelbert

Should I use soil from under a huge beech tree in my veg plot?

The tree will have probably extracted most of the nutrients that have leeched into the soil, making the soil a no but the leaf litter would make an excellent soil conditioner.
    The tree will have probably extracted most of the nutrients that have leeched into the soil, making the soil a no but the leaf litter would make an excellent soil conditioner.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Cuttings

Identification game

Gosh @Cuttings - better performance than I ever saw
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Mishka Grizzly

Clematis Wilt in June

I've just googled and it says, if you have to cut it all back, it will regrow next season, the wilt doesn't effect the roots only the growing stems.
    I've just googled and it says, if you have to cut it all back, it will regrow next season, the wilt doesn't effect the roots only the growing stems.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Engelbert

Topsoil from an aggregate supplier - what should it feel like? (For a Polytunnel)

So how much should a good top soil cost? I see loads of adverts for top soil that is in the £60-£80 bracket and sometimes less.
    So how much should a good top soil cost? I see loads of adverts for top soil that is in the £60-£80 bracket and sometimes less.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Engelbert

Well rotted manure... Weeds started to grow on it... Should I use it?

We keep cows and have plenty of manure. We find it never gets hot enough to kill all the weed seeds even if we keep turning it. If we leave it then weeds grow - mostly grass and nettles and often...
    We keep cows and have plenty of manure. We find it never gets hot enough to kill all the weed seeds even if we keep turning it. If we leave it then weeds grow - mostly grass and nettles and often wheat and barley as well from the straw. We use it anyway because that's what we've got and our soil...
    We keep cows and have plenty of manure. We find it never gets hot enough to kill all the weed seeds even if we keep turning it. If we leave it then weeds grow - mostly grass and nettles and often wheat and barley as well from the straw. We use it...
    We keep cows and have plenty of manure. We find it never gets hot enough to kill all the weed seeds even if we keep turning it. If we leave it then weeds grow - mostly grass and nettles and often...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Joseph Waddison

Plant identification ?

Many thanks. I have discovered that it is the female spinach plant!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jasmine star

Sewn seeds from a F1 plant ?

@pete thanks. Anyone need any goat willow? I've got lots of seeds :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Hazel Twigg

Campanula persicifolia division

I have several Fairy Bells and one of the clumps has not flowered this year as it needs some division. I would like to divide now rather than wait till Autumn as I am working on a rockery and a...
    I have several Fairy Bells and one of the clumps has not flowered this year as it needs some division. I would like to divide now rather than wait till Autumn as I am working on a rockery and a piece of this would be ideal in a central position. Have heard this plant likes well drained soil so...
    I have several Fairy Bells and one of the clumps has not flowered this year as it needs some division. I would like to divide now rather than wait till Autumn as I am working on a rockery and a piece of this would be ideal in a central position....
    I have several Fairy Bells and one of the clumps has not flowered this year as it needs some division. I would like to divide now rather than wait till Autumn as I am working on a rockery and a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jaja

Neglected lavender.

Hi @Jaja and welcome. The problem with trimming lavender hard back is that it might not 'break' ie produce new young growths from the very old gnarled wood. That's why it is advised to give...
    Hi @Jaja and welcome. The problem with trimming lavender hard back is that it might not 'break' ie produce new young growths from the very old gnarled wood. That's why it is advised to give lavender a good trim after flowering every year so that it stays nice and bushy. I would chance it with a...
    Hi @Jaja and welcome. The problem with trimming lavender hard back is that it might not 'break' ie produce new young growths from the very old gnarled wood. That's why it is advised to give lavender a good trim after flowering every year so that...
    Hi @Jaja and welcome. The problem with trimming lavender hard back is that it might not 'break' ie produce new young growths from the very old gnarled wood. That's why it is advised to give...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Emjwil

Old rockery

Really informative post, thanks Nigel. I agree that a rockery starts with rocks not soil. I am now waiting for a cool day to start to take my own to pieces. Hoping there will be no solid rock...
    Really informative post, thanks Nigel. I agree that a rockery starts with rocks not soil. I am now waiting for a cool day to start to take my own to pieces. Hoping there will be no solid rock outcrop underneath just lots of large beach stones.
    Really informative post, thanks Nigel. I agree that a rockery starts with rocks not soil. I am now waiting for a cool day to start to take my own to pieces. Hoping there will be no solid rock outcrop underneath just lots of large beach stones.
    Really informative post, thanks Nigel. I agree that a rockery starts with rocks not soil. I am now waiting for a cool day to start to take my own to pieces. Hoping there will be no solid rock...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. kriss
    Like x 3

Cosmos again!

So the cosmos crop actually looks ok.... some really bush... some lanky but with a healthy number of buds that have been flowering.how long can I keep some of them in the larger pots? Should I...
    So the cosmos crop actually looks ok.... some really bush... some lanky but with a healthy number of buds that have been flowering.how long can I keep some of them in the larger pots? Should I really now aim to get them all planted?ideally I want to see which are the best before committing...
    So the cosmos crop actually looks ok.... some really bush... some lanky but with a healthy number of buds that have been flowering.how long can I keep some of them in the larger pots? Should I really now aim to get them all planted?ideally I...
    So the cosmos crop actually looks ok.... some really bush... some lanky but with a healthy number of buds that have been flowering.how long can I keep some of them in the larger pots? Should I...
    EBA1BEEE-8176-4B09-829D-C16CBB36FB55.jpeg 8C3C8E30-9DD9-44BB-8582-B25CA5D8DC6E.jpeg 9ED0051B-A7CF-40C6-A331-E82D8109C2A1.jpeg 53A80610-C0EC-4E2D-96C8-28B5AF69FAA4.jpeg 8C6D19B8-04FD-4CED-B246-84DB969BBB01.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Michael Foster

Oleander Toxic

If you have pets there is still very little chance that they will be affected. Cats seem to know what they shouldn't eat and dogs find Oleander an extremely unpleasant taste. :)
    If you have pets there is still very little chance that they will be affected. Cats seem to know what they shouldn't eat and dogs find Oleander an extremely unpleasant taste. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lee Savage

Best small trees/shrubs/plants for containers

Thank you for this really helpful. I haven’t gone specifically for a tropical look but it is leaning that way naturally. I’ve got a bamboo and a Japanese Acer along with a couple of fruit trees so...
    Thank you for this really helpful. I haven’t gone specifically for a tropical look but it is leaning that way naturally. I’ve got a bamboo and a Japanese Acer along with a couple of fruit trees so a decent variety. I will look at those posts and check your suggestions out. Really helpful
    Thank you for this really helpful. I haven’t gone specifically for a tropical look but it is leaning that way naturally. I’ve got a bamboo and a Japanese Acer along with a couple of fruit trees so a decent variety. I will look at those posts and...
    Thank you for this really helpful. I haven’t gone specifically for a tropical look but it is leaning that way naturally. I’ve got a bamboo and a Japanese Acer along with a couple of fruit trees so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. eddybaby

Could Ants be living in my Fruit Tree

good show.
    good show.
    good show.
    good show.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. KFF

Fuchsia Mail order suppliers

Nay worries, always there if thee want.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Lee Savage

Plant pots and planters

Hi all,not sure which bit this should be posted in or if it is even relevant for this forum.does anyone have any good websites or online shops for plant pots and planters that are reasonable....
    Hi all,not sure which bit this should be posted in or if it is even relevant for this forum.does anyone have any good websites or online shops for plant pots and planters that are reasonable. I need various plant pots from large ones for my Acer to trough like planters for under my...
    Hi all,not sure which bit this should be posted in or if it is even relevant for this forum.does anyone have any good websites or online shops for plant pots and planters that are reasonable. I need various plant pots from large ones for my...
    Hi all,not sure which bit this should be posted in or if it is even relevant for this forum.does anyone have any good websites or online shops for plant pots and planters that are reasonable....
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice