Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
  2. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Manufactured top soil. noisette47, Nov 18, 2020
  3. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: One year on....and beyond Sheal, Nov 29, 2020 at 9:47 PM
  4. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Long handled leaf grabber Liz the pot, Dec 3, 2020 at 6:17 AM
  5. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
  6. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
    Latest: coir for compost Mike Allen, Jun 15, 2020
  7. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

New Photo Comp.!

:spinning: Hi everyone I just wanted to tell you about our new photo Comp... Please look here to enter........ :spinning: 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE..! (JUNE)
    :spinning: Hi everyone I just wanted to tell you about our new photo Comp... Please look here to enter........ :spinning: 30 DAY PHOTO CHALLENGE..! (JUNE)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3.   » Normal Threads
  4. Spruce

Black Friday Bargains only gardening

I bought zero gardening stuff, or anything else . Worst BF/CM ever.But I posted a non-gardening deal on another forum that saved several people up to £400 each, so was happy about that, even...
    I bought zero gardening stuff, or anything else . Worst BF/CM ever.But I posted a non-gardening deal on another forum that saved several people up to £400 each, so was happy about that, even though I didn't need it myself.
    I bought zero gardening stuff, or anything else . Worst BF/CM ever.But I posted a non-gardening deal on another forum that saved several people up to £400 each, so was happy about that, even though I didn't need it myself.
    I bought zero gardening stuff, or anything else . Worst BF/CM ever.But I posted a non-gardening deal on another forum that saved several people up to £400 each, so was happy about that, even...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Mike Allen

Why don't members give some indication of their gardening qualificatons.

I'm qualified, but to be honest, experience is, in most cases, better. Where qualification helps, and is specifically designed to help in achieving work in horticulture, whether that be...
    I'm qualified, but to be honest, experience is, in most cases, better. Where qualification helps, and is specifically designed to help in achieving work in horticulture, whether that be self-employed or under an employer. It doesn't necessarily demonstrate knowledge - besides no one can know...
    I'm qualified, but to be honest, experience is, in most cases, better. Where qualification helps, and is specifically designed to help in achieving work in horticulture, whether that be self-employed or under an employer. It doesn't necessarily...
    I'm qualified, but to be honest, experience is, in most cases, better. Where qualification helps, and is specifically designed to help in achieving work in horticulture, whether that be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Upsydaisy
    Like x 5

Lazy Labellers Anonymous!

:roflol:.....a total mystery...they and only they know their true meaning @flounder . :dunno:
    :roflol:.....a total mystery...they and only they know their true meaning @flounder . :dunno:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. mazambo

Overwintered Brugmansia

Yep, got some in jars now, the riper the wood the more chance of rooting I find.
    Yep, got some in jars now, the riper the wood the more chance of rooting I find.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Mike Allen
    Friendly x 3

WHY?

Out of interest when we began growing our own we decided that it would be wise to keep a record. So we set up a theoretical account. Anything bought for use in the garden from big things like a...
    Out of interest when we began growing our own we decided that it would be wise to keep a record. So we set up a theoretical account. Anything bought for use in the garden from big things like a greenhouse down to packets of seeds were entered as Debits. Anything brought into the house from the...
    Out of interest when we began growing our own we decided that it would be wise to keep a record. So we set up a theoretical account. Anything bought for use in the garden from big things like a greenhouse down to packets of seeds were entered as...
    Out of interest when we began growing our own we decided that it would be wise to keep a record. So we set up a theoretical account. Anything bought for use in the garden from big things like a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. KittyHound
    Like x 6

My Garden Evolution

Thanks Freddy! When I first joined and saw that smiley I have to confess I was a little confused as to why I was getting replies with a 'man' holding a candle! Since inserting some smileys...
    Thanks Freddy! When I first joined and saw that smiley I have to confess I was a little confused as to why I was getting replies with a 'man' holding a candle! Since inserting some smileys myself I now understand! :loll: Senior moment!
    Thanks Freddy! When I first joined and saw that smiley I have to confess I was a little confused as to why I was getting replies with a 'man' holding a candle! Since inserting some smileys myself I now understand! :loll: Senior moment!
    Thanks Freddy! When I first joined and saw that smiley I have to confess I was a little confused as to why I was getting replies with a 'man' holding a candle! Since inserting some smileys...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. felicty28

How bad would these trees be at blocking out the sun?

Welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:As you may have guessed you would, you've ended up with yes's and no's!I have lots of trees in my garden and the one thing that happens is that they grow :rolleyespink:. Looking at your...
    Welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:As you may have guessed you would, you've ended up with yes's and no's!I have lots of trees in my garden and the one thing that happens is that they grow :rolleyespink:. Looking at your photos (not necessarily good enough to see properly) I would be inclined to say don't buy it.I'm only...
    Welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:As you may have guessed you would, you've ended up with yes's and no's!I have lots of trees in my garden and the one thing that happens is that they grow :rolleyespink:. Looking at your photos (not necessarily good enough to see properly) I...
    Welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:As you may have guessed you would, you've ended up with yes's and no's!I have lots of trees in my garden and the one thing that happens is that they grow :rolleyespink:. Looking at your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Purple Streaks

Azaleas

Does it not say the NPK Ratio on the back?
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. SimonZ

Late season Hydrangea macrophylla?

Thanks for sharing. All of my mophead blooms have browned out on this side of the pond :o( so it is nice to see blooms still going strong. Oddly, the foliage on the picture indicates that the...
    Thanks for sharing. All of my mophead blooms have browned out on this side of the pond :o( so it is nice to see blooms still going strong. Oddly, the foliage on the picture indicates that the plant is starting to go dormant but all my hydrangeas still have dark green foliage. But the trees...
    Thanks for sharing. All of my mophead blooms have browned out on this side of the pond :o( so it is nice to see blooms still going strong. Oddly, the foliage on the picture indicates that the plant is starting to go dormant but all my...
    Thanks for sharing. All of my mophead blooms have browned out on this side of the pond :o( so it is nice to see blooms still going strong. Oddly, the foliage on the picture indicates that the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. craigm111189

help with turf for a complete beginner

Looks tidy. As much as I like lawns, that little patch was going to be awkward. I think you've made the right choice. Now time to think about pots.
    Looks tidy. As much as I like lawns, that little patch was going to be awkward. I think you've made the right choice. Now time to think about pots.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Engelbert

Old Red Sandstone - soil for growing veg in South West Wales

I'd love to have soil that deep I generally hit rock between 15 and 45cm.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. felicty28

Outside Heater - options

I think I might get one of those, just for interest value, save me messing around with all those bricks:biggrin:
    I think I might get one of those, just for interest value, save me messing around with all those bricks:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Upsydaisy

Dahlias ...when to lift!

Yep, I didn't have a windowed shed or greenhouse in the last garden and the basement there was reliably cool and dry, so I chanced it and never found it to be an issue; I usually bought them out...
    Yep, I didn't have a windowed shed or greenhouse in the last garden and the basement there was reliably cool and dry, so I chanced it and never found it to be an issue; I usually bought them out in late March/early April and potted them up in the coldframe for a few weeks before planting out. ...
    Yep, I didn't have a windowed shed or greenhouse in the last garden and the basement there was reliably cool and dry, so I chanced it and never found it to be an issue; I usually bought them out in late March/early April and potted them up in the...
    Yep, I didn't have a windowed shed or greenhouse in the last garden and the basement there was reliably cool and dry, so I chanced it and never found it to be an issue; I usually bought them out...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Luke Underwood

Recommendations for empty border

Cue howls of disapproval (:whistle:), but what about investing in a roll of geotextile before planting through it? No weeding required afterwards, cuts down on watering, and happy plants soon grow to...
    Cue howls of disapproval (:whistle:), but what about investing in a roll of geotextile before planting through it? No weeding required afterwards, cuts down on watering, and happy plants soon grow to disguise it.
    Cue howls of disapproval (:whistle:), but what about investing in a roll of geotextile before planting through it? No weeding required afterwards, cuts down on watering, and happy plants soon grow to disguise it.
    Cue howls of disapproval (:whistle:), but what about investing in a roll of geotextile before planting through it? No weeding required afterwards, cuts down on watering, and happy plants soon grow to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Paul K Kirkwood

Kniphofia Uvaria

@Paul K Kirkwood I have several different kniphofias only the mini "popsicle" variety would fit into the space you have. The others have all clumped up and are 3ft or so across. I remove dead...
    @Paul K Kirkwood I have several different kniphofias only the mini "popsicle" variety would fit into the space you have. The others have all clumped up and are 3ft or so across. I remove dead leaves, but don't touch the healthy ones. I see K uvaria can put up a 5ft plus flower stalk, so I think...
    @Paul K Kirkwood I have several different kniphofias only the mini "popsicle" variety would fit into the space you have. The others have all clumped up and are 3ft or so across. I remove dead leaves, but don't touch the healthy ones. I see K...
    @Paul K Kirkwood I have several different kniphofias only the mini "popsicle" variety would fit into the space you have. The others have all clumped up and are 3ft or so across. I remove dead...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. welshone

Flowering Orange Blossom

Usually you should cut back hard old stems after flowering, as I remember they flower on the previous years growth so any cutting back now will lose next year's flowers.
    Usually you should cut back hard old stems after flowering, as I remember they flower on the previous years growth so any cutting back now will lose next year's flowers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ArdySan

Potted Olive Tree - Help Needed

Not out of the woods yet, HOWEVER, getting a powerful artificial blue/purple light and having it on for a few hours every day seems to have done the trick. Looks much healthier and leaves are not...
    Not out of the woods yet, HOWEVER, getting a powerful artificial blue/purple light and having it on for a few hours every day seems to have done the trick. Looks much healthier and leaves are not dropping nearly that often, and there is new growth as well!Thank you everyone for your help!
    Not out of the woods yet, HOWEVER, getting a powerful artificial blue/purple light and having it on for a few hours every day seems to have done the trick. Looks much healthier and leaves are not dropping nearly that often, and there is new...
    Not out of the woods yet, HOWEVER, getting a powerful artificial blue/purple light and having it on for a few hours every day seems to have done the trick. Looks much healthier and leaves are not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. welshone

Overwintering Canna's

I'll dig up the two that are in the ground and leave them in the garage to dry and cut the dead leaves off in Feb, same with the ones in pots. If they need dividing I will do that at the end of...
    I'll dig up the two that are in the ground and leave them in the garage to dry and cut the dead leaves off in Feb, same with the ones in pots. If they need dividing I will do that at the end of Feb /early March and repot.
    I'll dig up the two that are in the ground and leave them in the garage to dry and cut the dead leaves off in Feb, same with the ones in pots. If they need dividing I will do that at the end of Feb /early March and repot.
    I'll dig up the two that are in the ground and leave them in the garage to dry and cut the dead leaves off in Feb, same with the ones in pots. If they need dividing I will do that at the end of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. alana

Iris Questio

Hi alana, unfortunately, usually only those rhizomes with leaf will grow.:dunno::doh:
    Hi alana, unfortunately, usually only those rhizomes with leaf will grow.:dunno::doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Engelbert

Topsoil from an aggregate supplier - what should it feel like? (For a Polytunnel)

Hi, Sorry - post removed - wrong forum!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice