Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best supplier of compost 2024 pete, May 9, 2024 at 9:01 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
    Latest: Garden Fly identification Pete8, May 10, 2024 at 1:49 PM
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 Valleysgirl, May 10, 2024 at 6:08 PM
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Moisture tester gks, May 6, 2024 at 4:53 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Seed sowing 2024 On the Levels, May 10, 2024 at 10:16 PM
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Oh Dear! Bluejayway, Apr 30, 2024
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Mike Allen

Digging. Rotavating. Cultavating. Ploughing

When we first moved in here the ground was solid clay. We improved it in a number of ways. Firstly we double dug it and dug in a lot of straw - taken from the field at the back before they burnt...
    When we first moved in here the ground was solid clay. We improved it in a number of ways. Firstly we double dug it and dug in a lot of straw - taken from the field at the back before they burnt it. This helped to keep the clay broken up and aerate the ground. We also dug in a lot of horse...
    When we first moved in here the ground was solid clay. We improved it in a number of ways. Firstly we double dug it and dug in a lot of straw - taken from the field at the back before they burnt it. This helped to keep the clay broken up and...
    When we first moved in here the ground was solid clay. We improved it in a number of ways. Firstly we double dug it and dug in a lot of straw - taken from the field at the back before they burnt...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Cuttings
    Informative x 8

Run of the mill seeds

We went there in its early days (must be about 20 years ago) and were quite impressed. :blue thumb:
    We went there in its early days (must be about 20 years ago) and were quite impressed. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. roders
    Funny x 7

Gardening is all about sex....apparently.

Just a bit of a break from the virus.Someone’s analogy of the sexual activity of our plants.Annuals live life in the fast lane ,with no time for decorum ,they want to find a mate in record...
    Just a bit of a break from the virus.Someone’s analogy of the sexual activity of our plants.Annuals live life in the fast lane ,with no time for decorum ,they want to find a mate in record time.Petals like gorgeously colourful party frocks ,are designed to get bees in a frenzy ,the brazen...
    Just a bit of a break from the virus.Someone’s analogy of the sexual activity of our plants.Annuals live life in the fast lane ,with no time for decorum ,they want to find a mate in record time.Petals like gorgeously colourful party frocks...
    Just a bit of a break from the virus.Someone’s analogy of the sexual activity of our plants.Annuals live life in the fast lane ,with no time for decorum ,they want to find a mate in record...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. NessaJ70

White hydrangea recommendations

Below is an example of the flopping problem with Strong Annabelle/Incredibelle. The first photo (the blooms are white) shows the new blooms and a plant of about 7 feet high or 2.1 meters. The...
    Below is an example of the flopping problem with Strong Annabelle/Incredibelle. The first photo (the blooms are white) shows the new blooms and a plant of about 7 feet high or 2.1 meters. The second photo was taken several months later. After going through several thunderstorms, the stems were...
    Below is an example of the flopping problem with Strong Annabelle/Incredibelle. The first photo (the blooms are white) shows the new blooms and a plant of about 7 feet high or 2.1 meters. The second photo was taken several months later. After...
    Below is an example of the flopping problem with Strong Annabelle/Incredibelle. The first photo (the blooms are white) shows the new blooms and a plant of about 7 feet high or 2.1 meters. The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Scotty2088

Supermarket Shrubs

I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in...
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in particular I would steer clear of fruit trees unless they specifically state the rootstock and variety....
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in particular I would steer clear of fruit trees unless...
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Cuttings
    Like x 9

Spring is here

With Valentine, dont over feed it, feed once a year after it finished flowering, and use a NPK 0-10-10, and dont let it get too wet.
    With Valentine, dont over feed it, feed once a year after it finished flowering, and use a NPK 0-10-10, and dont let it get too wet.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Ryn

Pussy willow Pruning info

...and here is the willow, after its initial prune.Once the branches have settled a bit, and my hands have recovered !! I will look to prune it for shape.
    ...and here is the willow, after its initial prune.Once the branches have settled a bit, and my hands have recovered !! I will look to prune it for shape.
    IMG_20200204_110538376.jpg IMG_20200204_110535340.jpg 271E6012-E758-4846-A143-11B3F642C3F0.jpeg IMG_20190526_115641321~3.jpg 8BE29F5E-954A-44E5-8D66-730B5135A91A.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Kyle zillion

please help me indentify these trees and plants

OK, 2nd guess is Quince (not Japonica). I've got one at my plot and will have a look tommorow.
    OK, 2nd guess is Quince (not Japonica). I've got one at my plot and will have a look tommorow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Katie.mac

Leylandii help

If you do as @andrews and @Cuttings suggest, sample trees from far apart. If they both show no new roots, then also inspect the soil. Is it soggy? Do other things grow well nearby? You need to...
    If you do as @andrews and @Cuttings suggest, sample trees from far apart. If they both show no new roots, then also inspect the soil. Is it soggy? Do other things grow well nearby? You need to know what caused the problems - were you just unlucky with our very wet winter?
    If you do as @andrews and @Cuttings suggest, sample trees from far apart. If they both show no new roots, then also inspect the soil. Is it soggy? Do other things grow well nearby? You need to know what caused the problems - were you just unlucky...
    If you do as @andrews and @Cuttings suggest, sample trees from far apart. If they both show no new roots, then also inspect the soil. Is it soggy? Do other things grow well nearby? You need to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. roders
    Like x 11

BBC Gardeners World returns.

We all can Jen just need to venture out to get the compost I knew I had forgotten something !!Spruce ...
    We all can Jen just need to venture out to get the compost I knew I had forgotten something !!Spruce ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. roders

Lead me not into temptation.....Garden open free.

I'm off to get a lottery ticket. Even if I won, I couldn't go anywhere but I'm not giving up my daydreams about all the good I could do :)
    I'm off to get a lottery ticket. Even if I won, I couldn't go anywhere but I'm not giving up my daydreams about all the good I could do :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. eddybaby

Home Remedies for a weeping grape vine

It will stop, eventually, but it does take energy out of the plant. Pruning is best done before the end of January at the latest.I'd be interested in the product you have found as I've never...
    It will stop, eventually, but it does take energy out of the plant. Pruning is best done before the end of January at the latest.I'd be interested in the product you have found as I've never managed to stop one weeping once it starts.
    It will stop, eventually, but it does take energy out of the plant. Pruning is best done before the end of January at the latest.I'd be interested in the product you have found as I've never managed to stop one weeping once it starts.
    It will stop, eventually, but it does take energy out of the plant. Pruning is best done before the end of January at the latest.I'd be interested in the product you have found as I've never...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. TheMadHedger

Ivy plants and other climbers - need some advice on what to buy

To continue this thread I've been doing a lot of thinking and have definitely decided to use Ivy. However I've been hunting around online but can't decide which one to go for.Main criteria:a)...
    To continue this thread I've been doing a lot of thinking and have definitely decided to use Ivy. However I've been hunting around online but can't decide which one to go for.Main criteria:a) Fast growing b) Dense foliage c) EvergreenAny more suggestions please based on the above? Thanks
    To continue this thread I've been doing a lot of thinking and have definitely decided to use Ivy. However I've been hunting around online but can't decide which one to go for.Main criteria:a) Fast growing b) Dense foliage c) EvergreenAny...
    To continue this thread I've been doing a lot of thinking and have definitely decided to use Ivy. However I've been hunting around online but can't decide which one to go for.Main criteria:a)...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. CLAYBUSTER

Monkey puzzle tree

thank you i will try it.
    thank you i will try it.
    thank you i will try it.
    thank you i will try it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Sheal

A question for Longk

Sorry about the mess I made of the thread :doh::)I did get one thing right though....you have or had Lewisia. :blue thumb:
    Sorry about the mess I made of the thread :doh::)I did get one thing right though....you have or had Lewisia. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. TheMadHedger

Honeysuckle - evergreen and hardy?

Thanks, looks nice.
    Thanks, looks nice.
    Thanks, looks nice.
    Thanks, looks nice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Dsahoo

Indoor plant

Thanks for your reply. It's not growing much also.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Janet mahay

Aloe vera

Update the aloeferox did die afterall i did save part of it to see if it would root but not banking on it i think most likely i have to buy a new plant
    Update the aloeferox did die afterall i did save part of it to see if it would root but not banking on it i think most likely i have to buy a new plant
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. kriss

Are these Cosmos seedlings ok?

need to be frost free, but that normally means "minimum 10C" because temperatures lower than that usually cause "stall" on plants, and they take ages to recover (ie.. they go into "shutdown" to...
    need to be frost free, but that normally means "minimum 10C" because temperatures lower than that usually cause "stall" on plants, and they take ages to recover (ie.. they go into "shutdown" to survive the cold, and assume more cold nights coming, so don't start up again until they are sure the...
    need to be frost free, but that normally means "minimum 10C" because temperatures lower than that usually cause "stall" on plants, and they take ages to recover (ie.. they go into "shutdown" to survive the cold, and assume more cold nights...
    need to be frost free, but that normally means "minimum 10C" because temperatures lower than that usually cause "stall" on plants, and they take ages to recover (ie.. they go into "shutdown" to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sulia

Lugworms or just worms.

My husband started a wormery for his fishing a few years back, then neglected it, due to ill health, but the worms didn't mind, now they are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Good for the garden....
    My husband started a wormery for his fishing a few years back, then neglected it, due to ill health, but the worms didn't mind, now they are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Good for the garden. Have managed to get hold of some compost, bit of a struggle, need around 350 litres of the stuff,...
    My husband started a wormery for his fishing a few years back, then neglected it, due to ill health, but the worms didn't mind, now they are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Good for the garden. Have managed to get hold of some compost, bit of...
    My husband started a wormery for his fishing a few years back, then neglected it, due to ill health, but the worms didn't mind, now they are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Good for the garden....
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice