1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: What's looking good APRIL 2024 Papi Jo, Apr 25, 2024 at 10:11 PM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Which soil improver? fairygirl, Apr 24, 2024 at 7:27 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best tool for trimming edges of lawn amancalledgeorge, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Oh Dear! Goldenlily26, Apr 25, 2024 at 8:39 AM
Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. welshone

Overwintering Canna's

I'll dig up the two that are in the ground and leave them in the garage to dry and cut the dead leaves off in Feb, same with the ones in pots. If they need dividing I will do that at the end of...
    I'll dig up the two that are in the ground and leave them in the garage to dry and cut the dead leaves off in Feb, same with the ones in pots. If they need dividing I will do that at the end of Feb /early March and repot.
    I'll dig up the two that are in the ground and leave them in the garage to dry and cut the dead leaves off in Feb, same with the ones in pots. If they need dividing I will do that at the end of Feb /early March and repot.
    I'll dig up the two that are in the ground and leave them in the garage to dry and cut the dead leaves off in Feb, same with the ones in pots. If they need dividing I will do that at the end of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Engelbert

Well rotted manure... Weeds started to grow on it... Should I use it?

We keep cows and have plenty of manure. We find it never gets hot enough to kill all the weed seeds even if we keep turning it. If we leave it then weeds grow - mostly grass and nettles and often...
    We keep cows and have plenty of manure. We find it never gets hot enough to kill all the weed seeds even if we keep turning it. If we leave it then weeds grow - mostly grass and nettles and often wheat and barley as well from the straw. We use it anyway because that's what we've got and our soil...
    We keep cows and have plenty of manure. We find it never gets hot enough to kill all the weed seeds even if we keep turning it. If we leave it then weeds grow - mostly grass and nettles and often wheat and barley as well from the straw. We use it...
    We keep cows and have plenty of manure. We find it never gets hot enough to kill all the weed seeds even if we keep turning it. If we leave it then weeds grow - mostly grass and nettles and often...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. LILY GALVIN

Red Robin Issues

Mike / Ricky many thanks for your help. Will trim and water the roots and do nothing else then for a while - a great help.
    Mike / Ricky many thanks for your help. Will trim and water the roots and do nothing else then for a while - a great help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. mazambo

Corkscrew hazel seedlings

Thanks @pete & @Palustris that's what I thought.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. TheMadHedger

Grass seedlings and frost

Another thought - I had intended to sow some more grass seeds tomorrow but the possible cold snap in a week's time has made me wonder if it's viable. Should I still go ahead and sow them tomorrow...
    Another thought - I had intended to sow some more grass seeds tomorrow but the possible cold snap in a week's time has made me wonder if it's viable. Should I still go ahead and sow them tomorrow or hang fire for a week or two? I ask because if I sow them today they will probably start to...
    Another thought - I had intended to sow some more grass seeds tomorrow but the possible cold snap in a week's time has made me wonder if it's viable. Should I still go ahead and sow them tomorrow or hang fire for a week or two? I ask because if I...
    Another thought - I had intended to sow some more grass seeds tomorrow but the possible cold snap in a week's time has made me wonder if it's viable. Should I still go ahead and sow them tomorrow...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Hummingbird

Drastic change in light

Thanks both for the feedback, and the fence is definitely on the list of things to do! :blue thumb:
    Thanks both for the feedback, and the fence is definitely on the list of things to do! :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. GardeningFin

Preparing hard clay seed bed for meadow mix

Be interesting to see some pics as your seeds get going and what its like when they have established in the bed.Was just out watering some plants and saw some viola flowers on the lawn, thought...
    Be interesting to see some pics as your seeds get going and what its like when they have established in the bed.Was just out watering some plants and saw some viola flowers on the lawn, thought they had been blown off from some nearby plants, but no, they were some self seeded plants , even...
    Be interesting to see some pics as your seeds get going and what its like when they have established in the bed.Was just out watering some plants and saw some viola flowers on the lawn, thought they had been blown off from some nearby plants,...
    Be interesting to see some pics as your seeds get going and what its like when they have established in the bed.Was just out watering some plants and saw some viola flowers on the lawn, thought...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Calum

Impatiens turning white?

Thank you both. As a complete novice I'm willing to guess it's the sun rather than mildew. Only reason is it is only effecting the south facing baskets. The ones on the other side of the house are...
    Thank you both. As a complete novice I'm willing to guess it's the sun rather than mildew. Only reason is it is only effecting the south facing baskets. The ones on the other side of the house are fine.I've moved them for now, but what might be a good substitute? I love lobelias and petunias...
    Thank you both. As a complete novice I'm willing to guess it's the sun rather than mildew. Only reason is it is only effecting the south facing baskets. The ones on the other side of the house are fine.I've moved them for now, but what might be...
    Thank you both. As a complete novice I'm willing to guess it's the sun rather than mildew. Only reason is it is only effecting the south facing baskets. The ones on the other side of the house are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Scotty2088

Supermarket Shrubs

I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in...
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in particular I would steer clear of fruit trees unless they specifically state the rootstock and variety....
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in particular I would steer clear of fruit trees unless...
    I have bought bedding plants from Morrisons and Lidl in the past, you just have to pick and chose as others have said. I have avoided any shrubs or trees as they are always poorly labelled, in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jannt86

Have I killed my fruit tree??

You may just have a high water table - so no amount of drainage is going to be effective - when it rains heavily, your soil will get a good soaking.A bit more info. Your dwarf M26 root stock...
    You may just have a high water table - so no amount of drainage is going to be effective - when it rains heavily, your soil will get a good soaking.A bit more info. Your dwarf M26 root stock apples will need to be permanently staked. They cannot develop a root system which will keep them...
    You may just have a high water table - so no amount of drainage is going to be effective - when it rains heavily, your soil will get a good soaking.A bit more info. Your dwarf M26 root stock apples will need to be permanently staked. They...
    You may just have a high water table - so no amount of drainage is going to be effective - when it rains heavily, your soil will get a good soaking.A bit more info. Your dwarf M26 root stock...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Darren2993

Dahlia Crown Gall??

@Darren2993That always seems to be the way, unfortunately. I don't think I would risk it the chance of spreading it would be too high. Dahlias are not that expensive to get new plants of and if...
    @Darren2993That always seems to be the way, unfortunately. I don't think I would risk it the chance of spreading it would be too high. Dahlias are not that expensive to get new plants of and if you want several then have a look at Dahlia Flower Plants and Tubers | Woolmans or Home - Halls of...
    @Darren2993That always seems to be the way, unfortunately. I don't think I would risk it the chance of spreading it would be too high. Dahlias are not that expensive to get new plants of and if you want several then have a look at Dahlia...
    @Darren2993That always seems to be the way, unfortunately. I don't think I would risk it the chance of spreading it would be too high. Dahlias are not that expensive to get new plants of and if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Mr.Bump

Potentilla Hedge Q'

Many thanks I'll do that, just seems very brutal to cut so much off..
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Reddwarf4ever

Need advice on how to restrict plant spreading

Doesn't look to me like a spider plant (=Chlorophytum, as in link above) but rather a Phalaris known as gardener's garters:I have it here growing in a lined tank filled mostly with gravel + a...
    Doesn't look to me like a spider plant (=Chlorophytum, as in link above) but rather a Phalaris known as gardener's garters:I have it here growing in a lined tank filled mostly with gravel + a bit of earth next to my garden pond, together with some ferns. It does spread rapidly so confining it...
    Doesn't look to me like a spider plant (=Chlorophytum, as in link above) but rather a Phalaris known as gardener's garters:I have it here growing in a lined tank filled mostly with gravel + a bit of earth next to my garden pond, together with...
    Doesn't look to me like a spider plant (=Chlorophytum, as in link above) but rather a Phalaris known as gardener's garters:I have it here growing in a lined tank filled mostly with gravel + a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Phil Clark

Flagging help

A neighbour has just had a large area flagged and from their prices , think @Jack Sparrows pricing its near the mark.However that all depends on the type and quality of flags you specify. Seems...
    A neighbour has just had a large area flagged and from their prices , think @Jack Sparrows pricing its near the mark.However that all depends on the type and quality of flags you specify. Seems the Indian Sandstone is both cheap and popular these days, comes in 15sq mtr packs from places like...
    A neighbour has just had a large area flagged and from their prices , think @Jack Sparrows pricing its near the mark.However that all depends on the type and quality of flags you specify. Seems the Indian Sandstone is both cheap and popular...
    A neighbour has just had a large area flagged and from their prices , think @Jack Sparrows pricing its near the mark.However that all depends on the type and quality of flags you specify. Seems...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Verdun

Protein rich tomato

I was already to say how we probably eat more protein than we should anyway thinking a new variety had been produced, but that was funny. Let us know if your tongue falls off :roflol:
    I was already to say how we probably eat more protein than we should anyway thinking a new variety had been produced, but that was funny. Let us know if your tongue falls off :roflol:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. McClements

Which Clematis flower

I would go for clematis Montana.....the variety Grandiflora which is nicely scented. Masses of flowers at this time of year on vigorous plants. Easily and quickly cover height and width...
    I would go for clematis Montana.....the variety Grandiflora which is nicely scented. Masses of flowers at this time of year on vigorous plants. Easily and quickly cover height and width required. I planted a couple of these clematis at my niece’s new build last autumn and they have flowered...
    I would go for clematis Montana.....the variety Grandiflora which is nicely scented. Masses of flowers at this time of year on vigorous plants. Easily and quickly cover height and width required. I planted a couple of these clematis at my...
    I would go for clematis Montana.....the variety Grandiflora which is nicely scented. Masses of flowers at this time of year on vigorous plants. Easily and quickly cover height and width...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. mazambo

Native bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta)

@pete & @Marley Farley, thanks, that's made my day (doesn't take much) just had a look at the photo on my phone again and think i can see a black seed pod still attached on the left hand side.
    @pete & @Marley Farley, thanks, that's made my day (doesn't take much) just had a look at the photo on my phone again and think i can see a black seed pod still attached on the left hand side.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Belto

Dying Geraniums

I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off. Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that...
    I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off. Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that are likely to spring back once things warm up properly.Just dont overwater.
    I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off. Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that are likely to spring back once things warm up...
    I agree, lots of plants are forced in absolute perfect growing conditions, they then get put in draughty shop fronts with no hardening off. Pelargoniums (geraniums) are one of those plants that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. lowrider69

irrigation systems?

Hi Lowrider, sorry missed your Feb post. I used the Hozelock Universal irrigation kit this uses the large 13mm bore pipe. They also do a Micro kit which is more suitable for baskets. To control...
    Hi Lowrider, sorry missed your Feb post. I used the Hozelock Universal irrigation kit this uses the large 13mm bore pipe. They also do a Micro kit which is more suitable for baskets. To control the water I use an Orbit timer. There are cheaper kits and timers available, if you look on Ebay...
    Hi Lowrider, sorry missed your Feb post. I used the Hozelock Universal irrigation kit this uses the large 13mm bore pipe. They also do a Micro kit which is more suitable for baskets. To control the water I use an Orbit timer. There are cheaper...
    Hi Lowrider, sorry missed your Feb post. I used the Hozelock Universal irrigation kit this uses the large 13mm bore pipe. They also do a Micro kit which is more suitable for baskets. To control...
    38152780_10210447487898052_3952318485912092672_n.jpg MicroKit-all.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. kriss

Salvia Strategy!

Nemorosa Sensation Blue Kriss.....nice hardy variety.:) Keep labels or write names in a notebook perhaps:)
    Nemorosa Sensation Blue Kriss.....nice hardy variety.:) Keep labels or write names in a notebook perhaps:)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice