1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: Is this little blossom tree dead? fairygirl, Apr 26, 2024 at 8:20 AM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Which soil improver? fairygirl, Apr 24, 2024 at 7:27 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Best tool for trimming edges of lawn amancalledgeorge, Apr 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Oh Dear! Goldenlily26, Apr 25, 2024 at 8:39 AM
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. danielwilliams_2007

What shall i do (suggestians)

It looks like a garden with promise and flat too. Have a trip to the local library they will have books on garden design that you can get ideas from.
    It looks like a garden with promise and flat too. Have a trip to the local library they will have books on garden design that you can get ideas from.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Bunslip

Frosty

Geoff is absolutely right. In his last paragraph he talks about cold destroying the cell walls. This is exactly the same as in a car. Freezing water expands and can burst your engine block, in...
    Geoff is absolutely right. In his last paragraph he talks about cold destroying the cell walls. This is exactly the same as in a car. Freezing water expands and can burst your engine block, in the same way as it bursts water pipes in the house. The answer with a car is to use antifreeze, which...
    Geoff is absolutely right. In his last paragraph he talks about cold destroying the cell walls. This is exactly the same as in a car. Freezing water expands and can burst your engine block, in the same way as it bursts water pipes in the house....
    Geoff is absolutely right. In his last paragraph he talks about cold destroying the cell walls. This is exactly the same as in a car. Freezing water expands and can burst your engine block, in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sulia

Lugworms or just worms.

My husband started a wormery for his fishing a few years back, then neglected it, due to ill health, but the worms didn't mind, now they are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Good for the garden....
    My husband started a wormery for his fishing a few years back, then neglected it, due to ill health, but the worms didn't mind, now they are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Good for the garden. Have managed to get hold of some compost, bit of a struggle, need around 350 litres of the stuff,...
    My husband started a wormery for his fishing a few years back, then neglected it, due to ill health, but the worms didn't mind, now they are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Good for the garden. Have managed to get hold of some compost, bit of...
    My husband started a wormery for his fishing a few years back, then neglected it, due to ill health, but the worms didn't mind, now they are everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Good for the garden....
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Banana Man

BM's Night-time Activities

Husband not a pygmy BM :D I would be interested to know what it is too if you can find out. It would certainly look good in your garden, perhaps fill it completely! :D
    Husband not a pygmy BM :D I would be interested to know what it is too if you can find out. It would certainly look good in your garden, perhaps fill it completely! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. jennywren

Hacking back a hydrangea

Many thanks @wiseowl - tea first then a severe cutting it is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. stevo19901

Anyone have an idea as to what this plant is

Definately an Astilbe
    Definately an Astilbe
    Definately an Astilbe
    Definately an Astilbe
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Nishant

Discarding Air Layered Branch

@Nishant It will probably be alright, but it will always look a bit odd where it developed to produce roots.
    @Nishant It will probably be alright, but it will always look a bit odd where it developed to produce roots.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. dalbuie

Cristmas present finally arrives!

Now its funny you should say that ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. jennywren

Chilli Peppers and Swedes

Thanks for the information. The chillies started to ripen the minute I posted up about them not ripening! As they turn bright red I pick them but must admit I thought they would have more of a...
    Thanks for the information. The chillies started to ripen the minute I posted up about them not ripening! As they turn bright red I pick them but must admit I thought they would have more of a kick than they do.Neeps - well we had the first rain for months so they might get a move on. Oops...
    Thanks for the information. The chillies started to ripen the minute I posted up about them not ripening! As they turn bright red I pick them but must admit I thought they would have more of a kick than they do.Neeps - well we had the first...
    Thanks for the information. The chillies started to ripen the minute I posted up about them not ripening! As they turn bright red I pick them but must admit I thought they would have more of a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Purple Streaks
    Friendly x 5

Free to a good home

Yes that's a good idea too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Garden sponge

Help cos its a concrete base

Hi Gs The worms will be near the top of the heap, they need air to breathe. They work on the new stuff at the top as you put it in. You could make a base "tray" for the bins to stand on. Timber...
    Hi Gs The worms will be near the top of the heap, they need air to breathe. They work on the new stuff at the top as you put it in. You could make a base "tray" for the bins to stand on. Timber rails and heavy duty poly come to mind,or perhaps 18"x9" concrete walling blocks? With a gentle...
    Hi Gs The worms will be near the top of the heap, they need air to breathe. They work on the new stuff at the top as you put it in. You could make a base "tray" for the bins to stand on. Timber rails and heavy duty poly come to mind,or perhaps...
    Hi Gs The worms will be near the top of the heap, they need air to breathe. They work on the new stuff at the top as you put it in. You could make a base "tray" for the bins to stand on. Timber...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Scotkat

T/M order

very good scotkat it is always tough this time of year making choices and changes to your ideas ect.
    very good scotkat it is always tough this time of year making choices and changes to your ideas ect.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Hummingbird

Seasonal underplanting for Cotinus

Hi @Hummingbird I always think of cyclamen coum and hederifolium - they flower in autumn and spring, and give a nice interesting foliage background at low level. They are not really bulbs - more...
    Hi @Hummingbird I always think of cyclamen coum and hederifolium - they flower in autumn and spring, and give a nice interesting foliage background at low level. They are not really bulbs - more like tubers - I had them get to dinner plate size! They also self seed gently. Also dwarf daffodil...
    Hi @Hummingbird I always think of cyclamen coum and hederifolium - they flower in autumn and spring, and give a nice interesting foliage background at low level. They are not really bulbs - more like tubers - I had them get to dinner plate size!...
    Hi @Hummingbird I always think of cyclamen coum and hederifolium - they flower in autumn and spring, and give a nice interesting foliage background at low level. They are not really bulbs - more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Butterfly6

Agapanthus -best online supplier

No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with pelargoniums and osteospermums. The climate is pretty maritime down here. Even lobelia often survive in the...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with pelargoniums and osteospermums. The climate is pretty...
    No worries, I have an overhanging porch that keeps rain off my current agapanthus through the winter. If it got below 5 degrees, I could pop a Sea Breeze in the garage, as I do with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Jonathon Kelly

Camellia and Aza

Well, it is a dilemma all right; it is something that depends on how strong the sun is and how deep the shade is. Azaleas and camellias normally appreciate some sun in order to produce more flower...
    Well, it is a dilemma all right; it is something that depends on how strong the sun is and how deep the shade is. Azaleas and camellias normally appreciate some sun in order to produce more flower buds. But azaleas prefer dappled sun or morning sun only, much less sun exposure than camellia...
    Well, it is a dilemma all right; it is something that depends on how strong the sun is and how deep the shade is. Azaleas and camellias normally appreciate some sun in order to produce more flower buds. But azaleas prefer dappled sun or morning...
    Well, it is a dilemma all right; it is something that depends on how strong the sun is and how deep the shade is. Azaleas and camellias normally appreciate some sun in order to produce more flower...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. welshone

Banana Plant - problem

I,ve had a couple of these in posts for a few years and get the same problem, too many pups. I,ve got one planted out next to some m.basjoo which pretty much does nothing, slow to get going and...
    I,ve had a couple of these in posts for a few years and get the same problem, too many pups. I,ve got one planted out next to some m.basjoo which pretty much does nothing, slow to get going and probably a bit too dry.I m not sure about planting out and then lifting in autumn, only ever done...
    I,ve had a couple of these in posts for a few years and get the same problem, too many pups. I,ve got one planted out next to some m.basjoo which pretty much does nothing, slow to get going and probably a bit too dry.I m not sure about...
    I,ve had a couple of these in posts for a few years and get the same problem, too many pups. I,ve got one planted out next to some m.basjoo which pretty much does nothing, slow to get going and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Cuttings
    Friendly x 4

Happy new year

No apology needed :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Darrin

Plant id

Hi Darrin...this pic looks like yours and the pic's a common Ragweed :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Richard Hughes

New Greenhouse

Hello and welcome to the forum Richard.You don't need a concrete slab for a greenhouse. To get it level just dig into the slope at the higher end and use the spoil to build up at the other...
    Hello and welcome to the forum Richard.You don't need a concrete slab for a greenhouse. To get it level just dig into the slope at the higher end and use the spoil to build up at the other end.There are other considerations of course such as orientation to the sun and shading from trees.In...
    Hello and welcome to the forum Richard.You don't need a concrete slab for a greenhouse. To get it level just dig into the slope at the higher end and use the spoil to build up at the other end.There are other considerations of course such as...
    Hello and welcome to the forum Richard.You don't need a concrete slab for a greenhouse. To get it level just dig into the slope at the higher end and use the spoil to build up at the other...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Stuart Fawcett

Gardening Express - Hit and Miss experiences

Opinion always seems mixed here regarding Gardening Express, @Stuart Fawcett. :) That alone completely discourages me from wanting to order from them, I use about a dozen nurseries nowadays and...
    Opinion always seems mixed here regarding Gardening Express, @Stuart Fawcett. :) That alone completely discourages me from wanting to order from them, I use about a dozen nurseries nowadays and would much rather stick with them and have a worry-free experience. Why is it that these repeatedly...
    Opinion always seems mixed here regarding Gardening Express, @Stuart Fawcett. :) That alone completely discourages me from wanting to order from them, I use about a dozen nurseries nowadays and would much rather stick with them and have a...
    Opinion always seems mixed here regarding Gardening Express, @Stuart Fawcett. :) That alone completely discourages me from wanting to order from them, I use about a dozen nurseries nowadays and...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice