1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Gardening Discussions

1. General Gardening Discussion

Discussions:
    Latest: Help! Frost has killed my dahlias Emerion, Apr 26, 2024 at 3:44 PM
  2. Gardening For People With Disabilities

Discussions:
    Latest: Arthritis and garden tools pete, Jan 10, 2024
  3. Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling

All Discussions Regarding Compost (ing), Fertilisers, soil conditioning, Recycling & Rain Water Harvesting can be found here.
    Discussions:
    Latest: Which soil improver? fairygirl, Apr 24, 2024 at 7:27 PM
  4. Pests, Diseases and Cures

Discussions:
  5. Garden Projects and DIY

What Projects Do You Have Going? Are you making something yourself ?Let us see what you've got going on.
    Discussions:
    Latest: My Little Haven Part 2 flounder, Apr 4, 2024
  6. Tools And Equipment

Any Tools Or Equipment That Can Be Used, Can Be Discussed/Rated Here
    Discussions:
    Latest: Compost roller and lawn leveler / lute Zola, Apr 26, 2024 at 1:45 PM
  7. Propagation This Month

What Should You Be Starting To Sow/Grow/Graft This Month
    Discussions:
    Latest: Cuttings that root in water flounder, Mar 31, 2024
  8. What To Do This Month

Wondering What You Can Do This Month ? Have a Look In & Add What You're Doing
    Discussions:
  9. Livestock

Discussions Relating To Any Livestock You May (or May Want To) Keep
    Discussions:
    Latest: Oh Dear! Goldenlily26, Apr 26, 2024 at 11:32 AM
Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Honey Bee

Frogspawn

Hi David H - and welcome!!!!!Already planned that one - it'll (hopefully) keep the little dalings occupied for a few hours each week.....All the taddies went into the pond from the...
    Hi David H - and welcome!!!!!Already planned that one - it'll (hopefully) keep the little dalings occupied for a few hours each week.....All the taddies went into the pond from the bucket, but have hidden themselves, so we don't know how many have survived.... especially as I saw one...
    Hi David H - and welcome!!!!!Already planned that one - it'll (hopefully) keep the little dalings occupied for a few hours each week.....All the taddies went into the pond from the bucket, but have hidden themselves, so we don't know...
    Hi David H - and welcome!!!!!Already planned that one - it'll (hopefully) keep the little dalings occupied for a few hours each week.....All the taddies went into the pond from the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Small orange giraffe

How to use an edging knife?

Step 1: sharpen it so's you can shave with it.Step 2: Keep it sharpDefine the line you wish to cut. Garden hose for sweeping curves or use either planks of wood or builder's line for straight...
    Step 1: sharpen it so's you can shave with it.Step 2: Keep it sharpDefine the line you wish to cut. Garden hose for sweeping curves or use either planks of wood or builder's line for straight edges. Circles are best marked with a central peg and lenth of twine tied to a nail to define the...
    Step 1: sharpen it so's you can shave with it.Step 2: Keep it sharpDefine the line you wish to cut. Garden hose for sweeping curves or use either planks of wood or builder's line for straight edges. Circles are best marked with a central peg...
    Step 1: sharpen it so's you can shave with it.Step 2: Keep it sharpDefine the line you wish to cut. Garden hose for sweeping curves or use either planks of wood or builder's line for straight...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. eddybaby

Clematis & Epsom Salts

Clematis often do look brown and tatty on their older foliage at this time of year esp after flowering eddybaby :)
    Clematis often do look brown and tatty on their older foliage at this time of year esp after flowering eddybaby :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. TheMadHedger

Blackthorn plants - best way to remove?

Thanks, my new boots have steel toe caps and extremely thick soles. I wear safety goggles too. :)
    Thanks, my new boots have steel toe caps and extremely thick soles. I wear safety goggles too. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. jewell
    Like x 3

Overgrown garden, I need help!

On your beds you can use sheets of newspaper topped with bark. It will decompose over time but by then it should be pretty easy to just pull the odd weed or two. Don't use the salt/vinegar except...
    On your beds you can use sheets of newspaper topped with bark. It will decompose over time but by then it should be pretty easy to just pull the odd weed or two. Don't use the salt/vinegar except where you don't want any plants!!
    On your beds you can use sheets of newspaper topped with bark. It will decompose over time but by then it should be pretty easy to just pull the odd weed or two. Don't use the salt/vinegar except where you don't want any plants!!
    On your beds you can use sheets of newspaper topped with bark. It will decompose over time but by then it should be pretty easy to just pull the odd weed or two. Don't use the salt/vinegar except...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. "M"
    Like x 17

Gardening with "M"

The spider is doing very well and having the time of his life. Although he did get a bit drunk on some of the Pimms that was going around when you were here! :rolleyespink:
    The spider is doing very well and having the time of his life. Although he did get a bit drunk on some of the Pimms that was going around when you were here! :rolleyespink:
    Hose.jpg Hose 2.jpg Hose 3.jpg DSCF6230 (640x613).jpg DSCF6233 (539x640).jpg DSCF6234 (530x640).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. lelly

can i take a cutting from....

The Russian Vine I'd be inclined to bid farewell and leave it behind :DHowever, if you must! Just snip a few growing tips and stick them in water, they'll take off!Same with the...
    The Russian Vine I'd be inclined to bid farewell and leave it behind :DHowever, if you must! Just snip a few growing tips and stick them in water, they'll take off!Same with the Honeysuckle. Very easy to root and the jam jar method works well though it will be a bit slower than the vine
    The Russian Vine I'd be inclined to bid farewell and leave it behind :DHowever, if you must! Just snip a few growing tips and stick them in water, they'll take off!Same with the Honeysuckle. Very easy to root and the jam jar method works...
    The Russian Vine I'd be inclined to bid farewell and leave it behind :DHowever, if you must! Just snip a few growing tips and stick them in water, they'll take off!Same with the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Peorthine

Where to get soil from?

Got a problem with soil still not able to supply what I want. They are not able to screen any topsoil at the moment as it is too wet. so have put back the delivery for a month, hope we get some...
    Got a problem with soil still not able to supply what I want. They are not able to screen any topsoil at the moment as it is too wet. so have put back the delivery for a month, hope we get some better weather so soil will dry out . Trevor
    Got a problem with soil still not able to supply what I want. They are not able to screen any topsoil at the moment as it is too wet. so have put back the delivery for a month, hope we get some better weather so soil will dry out . Trevor
    Got a problem with soil still not able to supply what I want. They are not able to screen any topsoil at the moment as it is too wet. so have put back the delivery for a month, hope we get some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Verdun
    Like x 3

Heatwave

Very calm day......bright, warm and sun is making an effort :)No damage damage done, surprisingly, in the garden from yesterday's stormGot more JI and horticultural grit to pot up new daphnes...
    Very calm day......bright, warm and sun is making an effort :)No damage damage done, surprisingly, in the garden from yesterday's stormGot more JI and horticultural grit to pot up new daphnes later. Rooted cuttings of daphne odora given me by a neighbour earlier in the year have made amazing...
    Very calm day......bright, warm and sun is making an effort :)No damage damage done, surprisingly, in the garden from yesterday's stormGot more JI and horticultural grit to pot up new daphnes later. Rooted cuttings of daphne odora given me by a...
    Very calm day......bright, warm and sun is making an effort :)No damage damage done, surprisingly, in the garden from yesterday's stormGot more JI and horticultural grit to pot up new daphnes...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. medindexer

vertical ceanothus - how to train it to climb in tiny garden

The pot is a little small medindexer......can you plant it in the garden soil there? :) Ceanothus are not really pot plants...they have vigorous spreading roots to support a fast growing...
    The pot is a little small medindexer......can you plant it in the garden soil there? :) Ceanothus are not really pot plants...they have vigorous spreading roots to support a fast growing system.The photo clarifies it now. I had envisioned a plant like Jack Sparrow has in his picture above. ...
    The pot is a little small medindexer......can you plant it in the garden soil there? :) Ceanothus are not really pot plants...they have vigorous spreading roots to support a fast growing system.The photo clarifies it now. I had envisioned a...
    The pot is a little small medindexer......can you plant it in the garden soil there? :) Ceanothus are not really pot plants...they have vigorous spreading roots to support a fast growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. deejonny

Clay soil in a new build and hard aggregate below the clay

It looks like that's going to be a sod. A rotavator will loosen things up to help you with the double-digging, but it's still going to be hard work. My first garden was worse than that though -...
    It looks like that's going to be a sod. A rotavator will loosen things up to help you with the double-digging, but it's still going to be hard work. My first garden was worse than that though - take your soil and then let it fester for 20 years, basically - and double-digging plus plenty of...
    It looks like that's going to be a sod. A rotavator will loosen things up to help you with the double-digging, but it's still going to be hard work. My first garden was worse than that though - take your soil and then let it fester for 20 years,...
    It looks like that's going to be a sod. A rotavator will loosen things up to help you with the double-digging, but it's still going to be hard work. My first garden was worse than that though -...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. David Cook

Greenhouse water collection

I recommend you correct most of that slant anyway. Greenhouses are not meant to be on an uneven base and are strongest when level. The difference that I added to the front to create a slope is a...
    I recommend you correct most of that slant anyway. Greenhouses are not meant to be on an uneven base and are strongest when level. The difference that I added to the front to create a slope is a shim of 1/4", about 6 millimeters, and that is enough to force the water to run to the back. And...
    I recommend you correct most of that slant anyway. Greenhouses are not meant to be on an uneven base and are strongest when level. The difference that I added to the front to create a slope is a shim of 1/4", about 6 millimeters, and that is...
    I recommend you correct most of that slant anyway. Greenhouses are not meant to be on an uneven base and are strongest when level. The difference that I added to the front to create a slope is a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Whiley

Highly scented indoor plants

now with this environmental friendly this and that, the air fresheners will soon disappear
    now with this environmental friendly this and that, the air fresheners will soon disappear
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. JenniferA
    Like x 3

How are your gardens coping with the dry weather?

That's the first I've heard of it @pete? I'll let you know if there is any, there are still a few patches left on the mountain tops from winter.
    That's the first I've heard of it @pete? I'll let you know if there is any, there are still a few patches left on the mountain tops from winter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Purple Streaks

Philip???? glengarry23

@Esoxlucius ,..now that is an eye opener,..i love big fish,..the Clown Loach really stand out with those colours of red black and yellow,..oh boy do they hide out at times,..ah yes the cost of...
    @Esoxlucius ,..now that is an eye opener,..i love big fish,..the Clown Loach really stand out with those colours of red black and yellow,..oh boy do they hide out at times,..ah yes the cost of light and filters not forgetting how fish food has increased in price of late,..yes a very impressive...
    @Esoxlucius ,..now that is an eye opener,..i love big fish,..the Clown Loach really stand out with those colours of red black and yellow,..oh boy do they hide out at times,..ah yes the cost of light and filters not forgetting how fish food has...
    @Esoxlucius ,..now that is an eye opener,..i love big fish,..the Clown Loach really stand out with those colours of red black and yellow,..oh boy do they hide out at times,..ah yes the cost of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. LauraS

suggestions welcome

All three look like Crassulas but variety names may vary, as with all succulents, water sparingly in Summer and hardly at all in Winter, they look fine in the pots they are in now.
    All three look like Crassulas but variety names may vary, as with all succulents, water sparingly in Summer and hardly at all in Winter, they look fine in the pots they are in now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. barneyb

Protecting potted plants from slugs and snails

I take the snails and slugs on a permanent holiday - anywhere up to a mile away!
    I take the snails and slugs on a permanent holiday - anywhere up to a mile away!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. windy miller

'Pinching out'

oh - ha ha ha strongy!!! we still have stocks in our village, more the shame people not stuck in them any more. THANKS for tip.
    oh - ha ha ha strongy!!! we still have stocks in our village, more the shame people not stuck in them any more. THANKS for tip.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kristen
    Like x 3

Plants for 2013 - Nicotiana

N. sylvestris, stunning. Love them....but after growing them for a few years instead of N. alatus, I realised how much I was missing the more understated alatus! Best for scent without a doubt and...
    N. sylvestris, stunning. Love them....but after growing them for a few years instead of N. alatus, I realised how much I was missing the more understated alatus! Best for scent without a doubt and can be squashed in somewhere or other in any garden.
    N. sylvestris, stunning. Love them....but after growing them for a few years instead of N. alatus, I realised how much I was missing the more understated alatus! Best for scent without a doubt and can be squashed in somewhere or other in any garden.
    N. sylvestris, stunning. Love them....but after growing them for a few years instead of N. alatus, I realised how much I was missing the more understated alatus! Best for scent without a doubt and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Deltech

How can I kill jasmine?

I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol. Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and...
    I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol. Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and downstairs wc built, so it had to go. The porch had a good metre deep foundations as agreed with the...
    I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol. Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and downstairs wc built, so it had to go. The porch had a...
    I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol. Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice