1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse Growing

Sort By:
Title ↓
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. mazambo

Cell growing?

I use cells for virtually everything, either sowing directly into them (especially larger seeds) or pricking out seedlings into them and, rather than using pots or seed tray, I sow seeds for...
    I use cells for virtually everything, either sowing directly into them (especially larger seeds) or pricking out seedlings into them and, rather than using pots or seed tray, I sow seeds for pricking out in individual/strips/blocks of cells from 40x, 24x & 15x trays, then I can snip off...
    I use cells for virtually everything, either sowing directly into them (especially larger seeds) or pricking out seedlings into them and, rather than using pots or seed tray, I sow seeds for pricking out in individual/strips/blocks of cells from...
    I use cells for virtually everything, either sowing directly into them (especially larger seeds) or pricking out seedlings into them and, rather than using pots or seed tray, I sow seeds for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Jaxom

Carnivorous Plants for the Greenhouse

Dont think carnivorous plants can really be considered as a way of keeping down greenhouse pests Jaxom, although they are pretty interesting plants to grow. For a cold greenhouse you could try...
    Dont think carnivorous plants can really be considered as a way of keeping down greenhouse pests Jaxom, although they are pretty interesting plants to grow. For a cold greenhouse you could try sarracenia, most are hardy, I grow mine outside, but they are better under glass. Also some of the...
    Dont think carnivorous plants can really be considered as a way of keeping down greenhouse pests Jaxom, although they are pretty interesting plants to grow. For a cold greenhouse you could try sarracenia, most are hardy, I grow mine outside, but...
    Dont think carnivorous plants can really be considered as a way of keeping down greenhouse pests Jaxom, although they are pretty interesting plants to grow. For a cold greenhouse you could try...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. quba

capilliary matting

Cor, that's a good idea, Peter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Snorky85

Capillary Matting

Hi @shiney - thanks for the offer - but don't worry about a picture. Its all water under the bridge now.I did try to Google the history of capilliary matting, but found nothing. Though I did...
    Hi @shiney - thanks for the offer - but don't worry about a picture. Its all water under the bridge now.I did try to Google the history of capilliary matting, but found nothing. Though I did find one company that sells matting made from recycled cotton and wool. That surprised me. I think it...
    Hi @shiney - thanks for the offer - but don't worry about a picture. Its all water under the bridge now.I did try to Google the history of capilliary matting, but found nothing. Though I did find one company that sells matting made from...
    Hi @shiney - thanks for the offer - but don't worry about a picture. Its all water under the bridge now.I did try to Google the history of capilliary matting, but found nothing. Though I did...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. treeplanter

Capillary Matting

One point about using capilliary matting. Its easy to get the matting wet and to put pots on it. But you have to be sure that the soil in the pot is in contact with the wet matting. You either...
    One point about using capilliary matting. Its easy to get the matting wet and to put pots on it. But you have to be sure that the soil in the pot is in contact with the wet matting. You either need flat bottomed pots, or a thick matting so that the pot can sink into it - preferably both. If you...
    One point about using capilliary matting. Its easy to get the matting wet and to put pots on it. But you have to be sure that the soil in the pot is in contact with the wet matting. You either need flat bottomed pots, or a thick matting so that...
    One point about using capilliary matting. Its easy to get the matting wet and to put pots on it. But you have to be sure that the soil in the pot is in contact with the wet matting. You either...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Kathy535

Cape gooseberry - too bushy for a greenhouse?

They can be a bit slow early on if grown from seed in the current year. I tend to overwinter a plant, in the greenhouse. I get a lot of self sown ones every year, so I pot one up in july for the...
    They can be a bit slow early on if grown from seed in the current year. I tend to overwinter a plant, in the greenhouse. I get a lot of self sown ones every year, so I pot one up in july for the next year. They like sunshine, so if its a bit shady where your growing them, you could try...
    They can be a bit slow early on if grown from seed in the current year. I tend to overwinter a plant, in the greenhouse. I get a lot of self sown ones every year, so I pot one up in july for the next year. They like sunshine, so if its a bit...
    They can be a bit slow early on if grown from seed in the current year. I tend to overwinter a plant, in the greenhouse. I get a lot of self sown ones every year, so I pot one up in july for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Caveman

Can you over winter Gerainiums in an unheated greenhouse?

The zonal variety can withstand fairly low temperatures but need shelter from hoar frost. We used to keep ours outside for a fair few years from the late 90s to 2008 by growing against a sheltered...
    The zonal variety can withstand fairly low temperatures but need shelter from hoar frost. We used to keep ours outside for a fair few years from the late 90s to 2008 by growing against a sheltered wall but they were killed in 2009. This winter many gardeners around here successfully...
    The zonal variety can withstand fairly low temperatures but need shelter from hoar frost. We used to keep ours outside for a fair few years from the late 90s to 2008 by growing against a sheltered wall but they were killed in 2009. This winter...
    The zonal variety can withstand fairly low temperatures but need shelter from hoar frost. We used to keep ours outside for a fair few years from the late 90s to 2008 by growing against a sheltered...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. clum111

Can you grow...

Depends what the plants are, if they are tender you'll need to cover with fleece on cold nights or bring them indoors if it gets frosty.
    Depends what the plants are, if they are tender you'll need to cover with fleece on cold nights or bring them indoors if it gets frosty.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. UJH

Cacti in Greenhouse

My son bought the pineapple from Homebase but when he read the tag it said the plant could be poisonous. He has 2 cats that he adores and decided to give it to us rather than take it home. I...
    My son bought the pineapple from Homebase but when he read the tag it said the plant could be poisonous. He has 2 cats that he adores and decided to give it to us rather than take it home. I can't imagine it will grow into a pineapple that can be eaten - but who knows ???Hey- I don't think...
    My son bought the pineapple from Homebase but when he read the tag it said the plant could be poisonous. He has 2 cats that he adores and decided to give it to us rather than take it home. I can't imagine it will grow into a pineapple that can...
    My son bought the pineapple from Homebase but when he read the tag it said the plant could be poisonous. He has 2 cats that he adores and decided to give it to us rather than take it home. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Black Dog

Buying or building a greenhouse?

Why worry about the small stuff when Fukushima's going to poison the planet anyway ? Sad but true :ouch1:
    Why worry about the small stuff when Fukushima's going to poison the planet anyway ? Sad but true :ouch1:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Anzia

Buying a second hand greenhouse

It's going very well, thanks! Slowly... The greenhouse is now on a proper base - mortar, paving slab edge and middle path, gravel strips to the inner sides - and fully assembled on it with half...
    It's going very well, thanks! Slowly... The greenhouse is now on a proper base - mortar, paving slab edge and middle path, gravel strips to the inner sides - and fully assembled on it with half the glass in. I ran out of glazing strip and have had to order more for it to be finished!I'd...
    It's going very well, thanks! Slowly... The greenhouse is now on a proper base - mortar, paving slab edge and middle path, gravel strips to the inner sides - and fully assembled on it with half the glass in. I ran out of glazing strip and have...
    It's going very well, thanks! Slowly... The greenhouse is now on a proper base - mortar, paving slab edge and middle path, gravel strips to the inner sides - and fully assembled on it with half...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Gardencat994

Buying a greenhouse

Hi,As that space is 3mts + wide you could fit one , two or even three 8 or 10ft long greenhouses in an East to West orientation to gain maximum sunlight. If looking for something wider and...
    Hi,As that space is 3mts + wide you could fit one , two or even three 8 or 10ft long greenhouses in an East to West orientation to gain maximum sunlight. If looking for something wider and longer North to South will be needed, but don't forget most greenhouses have to be shaded during the...
    Hi,As that space is 3mts + wide you could fit one , two or even three 8 or 10ft long greenhouses in an East to West orientation to gain maximum sunlight. If looking for something wider and longer North to South will be needed, but don't forget...
    Hi,As that space is 3mts + wide you could fit one , two or even three 8 or 10ft long greenhouses in an East to West orientation to gain maximum sunlight. If looking for something wider and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. jddevel

Building a Greenhouse

That's saved me writing most of my answer, thanks John!Water butt at the front = need one either side of the door (but nearer the door to fill the can). At the back = one butt can collect both...
    That's saved me writing most of my answer, thanks John!Water butt at the front = need one either side of the door (but nearer the door to fill the can). At the back = one butt can collect both gutters. Slope the greenhouse slightly to whichever end the gutters should flow.I have grown in...
    That's saved me writing most of my answer, thanks John!Water butt at the front = need one either side of the door (but nearer the door to fill the can). At the back = one butt can collect both gutters. Slope the greenhouse slightly to...
    That's saved me writing most of my answer, thanks John!Water butt at the front = need one either side of the door (but nearer the door to fill the can). At the back = one butt can collect both...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. dalbuie

bugs in greenhouse

At least the ants have moved out,yipee!! :rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Tomhip

bubblewrap

Blimey Zigs that's a new one to me! So much more to consider now. Alex I take your advice on the compost. Thank you both I'm still learning even at my age. Tom
    Blimey Zigs that's a new one to me! So much more to consider now. Alex I take your advice on the compost. Thank you both I'm still learning even at my age. Tom
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Val..

Bubble wrapping the greenhouse.

Hello Gemini and all, I'm new to the forum, but I too am lining the Greenhouse with bubble wrap! Really trying to save more Cacti this year, the last 2-3 have been very bad. I Did it a few years...
    Hello Gemini and all, I'm new to the forum, but I too am lining the Greenhouse with bubble wrap! Really trying to save more Cacti this year, the last 2-3 have been very bad. I Did it a few years ago, but after 2 years or so if falls to pieces, as it is only cheap bubble wrap and not UV...
    Hello Gemini and all, I'm new to the forum, but I too am lining the Greenhouse with bubble wrap! Really trying to save more Cacti this year, the last 2-3 have been very bad. I Did it a few years ago, but after 2 years or so if falls to pieces, as...
    Hello Gemini and all, I'm new to the forum, but I too am lining the Greenhouse with bubble wrap! Really trying to save more Cacti this year, the last 2-3 have been very bad. I Did it a few years...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Resonate

Bubble wrap?

If you have electricity in the GH as you obviously have, then as John says it would be much (very much) more economical investing in a heated propagator. Apart from anything else if you buy/make...
    If you have electricity in the GH as you obviously have, then as John says it would be much (very much) more economical investing in a heated propagator. Apart from anything else if you buy/make one with good thermostatic control you'll get better better germination. Bubble wrap makes a vast...
    If you have electricity in the GH as you obviously have, then as John says it would be much (very much) more economical investing in a heated propagator. Apart from anything else if you buy/make one with good thermostatic control you'll get...
    If you have electricity in the GH as you obviously have, then as John says it would be much (very much) more economical investing in a heated propagator. Apart from anything else if you buy/make...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JWK

Bubble Wrap Insulation for greenhouse - where to buy?

I've never thought of using a fan:doh:....but i haven't suffered with mould or rot (touches wood)...My GH has a door at the front and the back and i just open those for some air....:dbgrtmb:
    I've never thought of using a fan:doh:....but i haven't suffered with mould or rot (touches wood)...My GH has a door at the front and the back and i just open those for some air....:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PeterS

Bubble wrap insulation

Sounds as if you're well prepared Peter. Will have to get a move on with sorting our greenhouse out! [ 23. November 2005, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: jjordie ]
    Sounds as if you're well prepared Peter. Will have to get a move on with sorting our greenhouse out! [ 23. November 2005, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: jjordie ]
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. cattwoman25

bubble wrap in greenhouse ?

Sorry governor it was a fair cop Helen.xxx.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice