1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Greenhouse Growing

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. frogesque

Greenhouse

Thanks everyonemims:I've been wondering whether to secure it or not. The garden is reasonably sheltered and the split larch fence/panelling is to get replaced by a 4ft high spaced 4"...
    Thanks everyonemims:I've been wondering whether to secure it or not. The garden is reasonably sheltered and the split larch fence/panelling is to get replaced by a 4ft high spaced 4" batten fence running the whole garden length behind it. I deliberately left a 3ft gap for access. For a...
    Thanks everyonemims:I've been wondering whether to secure it or not. The garden is reasonably sheltered and the split larch fence/panelling is to get replaced by a 4ft high spaced 4" batten fence running the whole garden length behind...
    Thanks everyonemims:I've been wondering whether to secure it or not. The garden is reasonably sheltered and the split larch fence/panelling is to get replaced by a 4ft high spaced 4"...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Beefy

Double Glazed greenhouse

Will try to get some better pics next week.Just upgraded phone so got a new toy with 2 MP camera etc on it.But its a school so got to be carefull that no pupils or staff get in pics (child...
    Will try to get some better pics next week.Just upgraded phone so got a new toy with 2 MP camera etc on it.But its a school so got to be carefull that no pupils or staff get in pics (child protection ,privacy etc)
    Will try to get some better pics next week.Just upgraded phone so got a new toy with 2 MP camera etc on it.But its a school so got to be carefull that no pupils or staff get in pics (child protection ,privacy etc)
    Will try to get some better pics next week.Just upgraded phone so got a new toy with 2 MP camera etc on it.But its a school so got to be carefull that no pupils or staff get in pics (child...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. sharon

Greenhouse heater

Hi Sharon, I`m sure they know already :DYou`ll still have to figure out how many btu/hr (or kw equivilent)that parafin heater puts out ;)Btw, if you plan to add bubblewrap everywhere in the...
    Hi Sharon, I`m sure they know already :DYou`ll still have to figure out how many btu/hr (or kw equivilent)that parafin heater puts out ;)Btw, if you plan to add bubblewrap everywhere in the winter, you can make R=2 for your calculations which should help cut costs.
    Hi Sharon, I`m sure they know already :DYou`ll still have to figure out how many btu/hr (or kw equivilent)that parafin heater puts out ;)Btw, if you plan to add bubblewrap everywhere in the winter, you can make R=2 for your calculations...
    Hi Sharon, I`m sure they know already :DYou`ll still have to figure out how many btu/hr (or kw equivilent)that parafin heater puts out ;)Btw, if you plan to add bubblewrap everywhere in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. UsedtobeDendy

old greenhouse

Thanks both! Yes Frogesque, I think that's the flower all right. I had seen the thread, but had forgotten about it - probably onset of senile dementia!! :D I'd like to try the "easy...
    Thanks both! Yes Frogesque, I think that's the flower all right. I had seen the thread, but had forgotten about it - probably onset of senile dementia!! :D I'd like to try the "easy air-layering" technique, but I don't know how well it'll work when it's in someone else's garden, and I can't...
    Thanks both! Yes Frogesque, I think that's the flower all right. I had seen the thread, but had forgotten about it - probably onset of senile dementia!! :D I'd like to try the "easy air-layering" technique, but I don't know how well it'll work...
    Thanks both! Yes Frogesque, I think that's the flower all right. I had seen the thread, but had forgotten about it - probably onset of senile dementia!! :D I'd like to try the "easy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Stingo

Seeds in greenhouse

Yes Pete totally confused now!! ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Transkeisue

wooden greenhouses

So am I, hans. Would have loved a cedar one but couldn't afford even 6x8', and second-hand isn't an option as I can't manage that kind of DIY anymore
    So am I, hans. Would have loved a cedar one but couldn't afford even 6x8', and second-hand isn't an option as I can't manage that kind of DIY anymore
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Neil

Do I need a heated greenhouse?

Thanks for the advice Dave W.Much appriciated.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. cazza

Greenhouse Fruit and veg ideas

That takes us back to another thread - recycling!! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. cazza

greenhouse glass

re the books, CAzza - I was looking through mine, and I think the best one overall about propagating plants, whethre from seed or some other way, is Plant Propagation A-Z (Growing Plants for...
    re the books, CAzza - I was looking through mine, and I think the best one overall about propagating plants, whethre from seed or some other way, is Plant Propagation A-Z (Growing Plants for Free), ISBN 0715318268. I'm sure you could get it 2nd hand on Amazon used books. Good luck!
    re the books, CAzza - I was looking through mine, and I think the best one overall about propagating plants, whethre from seed or some other way, is Plant Propagation A-Z (Growing Plants for Free), ISBN 0715318268. I'm sure you could get it 2nd...
    re the books, CAzza - I was looking through mine, and I think the best one overall about propagating plants, whethre from seed or some other way, is Plant Propagation A-Z (Growing Plants for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. veglady

polycarbon greenhouse

Thank- have found it on the internet - fingers crossed that it works - will let you know
    Thank- have found it on the internet - fingers crossed that it works - will let you know
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. PeterS

Colder inside !!!

strongylodon - here are the spider plants in the greenhouse as promised!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. steveb1973

Timber greenhouses

i prefer diy so i know i can fix it if/when it breaks ;)Steve, Sounds like double glazing might be better for your location or perhaps twinwall polycarbonate if you don`t mind that opaque...
    i prefer diy so i know i can fix it if/when it breaks ;)Steve, Sounds like double glazing might be better for your location or perhaps twinwall polycarbonate if you don`t mind that opaque look. Perhaps they`ll give a discount if you buy it without the styrene..unlikely but might be worth a try.
    i prefer diy so i know i can fix it if/when it breaks ;)Steve, Sounds like double glazing might be better for your location or perhaps twinwall polycarbonate if you don`t mind that opaque look. Perhaps they`ll give a discount if you buy it...
    i prefer diy so i know i can fix it if/when it breaks ;)Steve, Sounds like double glazing might be better for your location or perhaps twinwall polycarbonate if you don`t mind that opaque...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. veglady

vents in a greenhouse

Nik If you blow air into the greenhouse via a filter screen,you can vent by overpressure. This pressurises the internal air and forces it out through the vents and those (unseen) gaps in the...
    Nik If you blow air into the greenhouse via a filter screen,you can vent by overpressure. This pressurises the internal air and forces it out through the vents and those (unseen) gaps in the greenhouse. It`s a good way to keep spores and small stuff out as it has to go against the airflow to get...
    Nik If you blow air into the greenhouse via a filter screen,you can vent by overpressure. This pressurises the internal air and forces it out through the vents and those (unseen) gaps in the greenhouse. It`s a good way to keep spores and small...
    Nik If you blow air into the greenhouse via a filter screen,you can vent by overpressure. This pressurises the internal air and forces it out through the vents and those (unseen) gaps in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PyesKathryn

greenhouse

Everything Fran says is spot on. Re putting in electricity - there is a thing called Armadillo - it's a way of putting in electricity yourself - the only one now that's allowed if you're not a...
    Everything Fran says is spot on. Re putting in electricity - there is a thing called Armadillo - it's a way of putting in electricity yourself - the only one now that's allowed if you're not a pro. Two Wests and Elliot have it. They have pretty much anything you need for a greenhouse - well...
    Everything Fran says is spot on. Re putting in electricity - there is a thing called Armadillo - it's a way of putting in electricity yourself - the only one now that's allowed if you're not a pro. Two Wests and Elliot have it. They have pretty...
    Everything Fran says is spot on. Re putting in electricity - there is a thing called Armadillo - it's a way of putting in electricity yourself - the only one now that's allowed if you're not a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. grinch

greenhouse heating

If your referring to those bedding plants bought from garden centres around now, Petunias, etc. then I would say a minimum of 50F, 10C, and as warm as it gets during the day, you dont want a check...
    If your referring to those bedding plants bought from garden centres around now, Petunias, etc. then I would say a minimum of 50F, 10C, and as warm as it gets during the day, you dont want a check in growth, also be careful about the watering. Low temps and too wet compost is not good.
    If your referring to those bedding plants bought from garden centres around now, Petunias, etc. then I would say a minimum of 50F, 10C, and as warm as it gets during the day, you dont want a check in growth, also be careful about the watering. ...
    If your referring to those bedding plants bought from garden centres around now, Petunias, etc. then I would say a minimum of 50F, 10C, and as warm as it gets during the day, you dont want a check...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. David G

Cold Greenhouse

tomatoes need artificial heat and constant heat plus lots of light, they could be started on kitchen window in april, but i recommend you also buy some plants in May .....
    tomatoes need artificial heat and constant heat plus lots of light, they could be started on kitchen window in april, but i recommend you also buy some plants in May .....
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gardening Newbie

Taping Bubble Plastic

Yes, it's sold as 'tunnel tape' or 'all weather tape' amonst other things. I think i've seen it in B&Q, it's usually clear with a green tint, expect to pay �£5 to �£10 a 4 inch wide roll. So...
    Yes, it's sold as 'tunnel tape' or 'all weather tape' amonst other things. I think i've seen it in B&Q, it's usually clear with a green tint, expect to pay �£5 to �£10 a 4 inch wide roll. So long as the polythene is dry & dust free then it makes a very strong join.
    Yes, it's sold as 'tunnel tape' or 'all weather tape' amonst other things. I think i've seen it in B&Q, it's usually clear with a green tint, expect to pay �£5 to �£10 a 4 inch wide roll. So long as the polythene is dry & dust free then it...
    Yes, it's sold as 'tunnel tape' or 'all weather tape' amonst other things. I think i've seen it in B&Q, it's usually clear with a green tint, expect to pay �£5 to �£10 a 4 inch wide roll. So...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Gardening Newbie

Do I need insulation?

I have used bubble wrap on two or three occasions before and you do end up with alot of condensation on the inside of the greenhouse.I havent used it this year, i have got a fan heater which has a...
    I have used bubble wrap on two or three occasions before and you do end up with alot of condensation on the inside of the greenhouse.I havent used it this year, i have got a fan heater which has a thermostat set to 3 or 4 degrees just to take the chill off.The bubble wrap is messy to put up and...
    I have used bubble wrap on two or three occasions before and you do end up with alot of condensation on the inside of the greenhouse.I havent used it this year, i have got a fan heater which has a thermostat set to 3 or 4 degrees just to take the...
    I have used bubble wrap on two or three occasions before and you do end up with alot of condensation on the inside of the greenhouse.I havent used it this year, i have got a fan heater which has a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. robbo

new greenhouse

You could just lay some sleepers on the ground and screw it to them. But you will have to watch the height. There is nothing to stop you digging down several inches inside the sleepers to give...
    You could just lay some sleepers on the ground and screw it to them. But you will have to watch the height. There is nothing to stop you digging down several inches inside the sleepers to give you more head room. Just make sure it is not in a place where it could fill up with water.
    You could just lay some sleepers on the ground and screw it to them. But you will have to watch the height. There is nothing to stop you digging down several inches inside the sleepers to give you more head room. Just make sure it is not in a...
    You could just lay some sleepers on the ground and screw it to them. But you will have to watch the height. There is nothing to stop you digging down several inches inside the sleepers to give...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. rudham1

maintaining wooden greenhouses

If they are old wooden houses then I'd continue with the linseed oil paint as the oil will have permeated the wood and it may react with more modern paints.If replacing rotten wood then I...
    If they are old wooden houses then I'd continue with the linseed oil paint as the oil will have permeated the wood and it may react with more modern paints.If replacing rotten wood then I personally use pressure treated preserved timber, paint it with 2 coats of International Bare Wood Primer...
    If they are old wooden houses then I'd continue with the linseed oil paint as the oil will have permeated the wood and it may react with more modern paints.If replacing rotten wood then I personally use pressure treated preserved timber, paint...
    If they are old wooden houses then I'd continue with the linseed oil paint as the oil will have permeated the wood and it may react with more modern paints.If replacing rotten wood then I...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice