1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Identification Area

Have you seen any Pests, Diseases or even any Plants which you cannot work out, what they are ..... Ask in here ..

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Zigs
    Like x 5

Native Trees and Shrubs reference

It appears there's more than one variety of Bullace, inluding Golden (AKA 'White'), that grows hereabouts (although most people have never seen it), and there's also 'Black' Bullace which could be...
    It appears there's more than one variety of Bullace, inluding Golden (AKA 'White'), that grows hereabouts (although most people have never seen it), and there's also 'Black' Bullace which could be the one in your image. And there's others, including some hybrids, and it's not help by locals who...
    It appears there's more than one variety of Bullace, inluding Golden (AKA 'White'), that grows hereabouts (although most people have never seen it), and there's also 'Black' Bullace which could be the one in your image. And there's others,...
    It appears there's more than one variety of Bullace, inluding Golden (AKA 'White'), that grows hereabouts (although most people have never seen it), and there's also 'Black' Bullace which could be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Zigs

Poisonous Plants - A summary

Excellent words of wisdom our mandy :thumbsup: if only teenage boys were told the same :rasp:And not so teenage boys too I'd imagine :watching:
    Excellent words of wisdom our mandy :thumbsup: if only teenage boys were told the same :rasp:And not so teenage boys too I'd imagine :watching:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky
    Useful x 8

Weed Identification..

Sometimes it can be very confusing trying to decide whether some plants are plants we want to keep, or weeds that we don't want.. This thread might help, it was first posted in another forum by...
    Sometimes it can be very confusing trying to decide whether some plants are plants we want to keep, or weeds that we don't want.. This thread might help, it was first posted in another forum by HarrySKnow Your Weeds..Just click the link.. :SUNsmile:
    Sometimes it can be very confusing trying to decide whether some plants are plants we want to keep, or weeds that we don't want.. This thread might help, it was first posted in another forum by HarrySKnow Your Weeds..Just click the link.. :SUNsmile:
    Sometimes it can be very confusing trying to decide whether some plants are plants we want to keep, or weeds that we don't want.. This thread might help, it was first posted in another forum by...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Zigs
    Like x 19

Important Notice, Please Read

check it with me first:biggrin: the nasty one is pretty easy to spot, doesn't have the pure white flesh as it sets spores early on. Giant Puffball is one of my favorites, never fry it in oil though,...
    check it with me first:biggrin: the nasty one is pretty easy to spot, doesn't have the pure white flesh as it sets spores early on. Giant Puffball is one of my favorites, never fry it in oil though, always butter & herbs. Oil makes it bitter. Had many a lovely meadow puffball too.
    check it with me first:biggrin: the nasty one is pretty easy to spot, doesn't have the pure white flesh as it sets spores early on. Giant Puffball is one of my favorites, never fry it in oil though, always butter & herbs. Oil makes it bitter. Had many a...
    check it with me first:biggrin: the nasty one is pretty easy to spot, doesn't have the pure white flesh as it sets spores early on. Giant Puffball is one of my favorites, never fry it in oil though,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Sonya

Not sure what these are

Lavatera is one of my favourites - in fact, I am a sucker for any of the mallows really. At the moment, I have a good few of the annuals and a perennial that came back from just a root, all...
    Lavatera is one of my favourites - in fact, I am a sucker for any of the mallows really. At the moment, I have a good few of the annuals and a perennial that came back from just a root, all blooming away. Thank goodness, because a lot of stuff has been a bit of a disaster really.
    Lavatera is one of my favourites - in fact, I am a sucker for any of the mallows really. At the moment, I have a good few of the annuals and a perennial that came back from just a root, all blooming away. Thank goodness, because a lot of stuff...
    Lavatera is one of my favourites - in fact, I am a sucker for any of the mallows really. At the moment, I have a good few of the annuals and a perennial that came back from just a root, all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 3

This looks very pretty

Further to Caroline's suggestion, I grew Livingstone daisies from seed this year, really easily. Chucked the seeds in a topsoil and potting compost mix in a large pot and kept it in a sunny spot,...
    Further to Caroline's suggestion, I grew Livingstone daisies from seed this year, really easily. Chucked the seeds in a topsoil and potting compost mix in a large pot and kept it in a sunny spot, watered regularly, sometimes with Tomorite. They came up a treat. Just now I have a mass of...
    Further to Caroline's suggestion, I grew Livingstone daisies from seed this year, really easily. Chucked the seeds in a topsoil and potting compost mix in a large pot and kept it in a sunny spot, watered regularly, sometimes with Tomorite. They...
    Further to Caroline's suggestion, I grew Livingstone daisies from seed this year, really easily. Chucked the seeds in a topsoil and potting compost mix in a large pot and kept it in a sunny spot,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. martyn bromley

Green slime

@martyn bromley I think it could be Nostoc algae.. It is harmless and pops up all over the place and is one of the original life forms.. It appears when the weather is wet and warm which we have...
    @martyn bromley I think it could be Nostoc algae.. It is harmless and pops up all over the place and is one of the original life forms.. It appears when the weather is wet and warm which we have been experiencing lately.. When it is wet on the ground it forms a colony, not often seen, but after...
    @martyn bromley I think it could be Nostoc algae.. It is harmless and pops up all over the place and is one of the original life forms.. It appears when the weather is wet and warm which we have been experiencing lately.. When it is wet on the...
    @martyn bromley I think it could be Nostoc algae.. It is harmless and pops up all over the place and is one of the original life forms.. It appears when the weather is wet and warm which we have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jack Sparrow
    Like x 7

A local treasure.

That's something we have heard often enough up there - if you go to a beach with anyone else on it, just go to the next. That way you could have your private beach. And what's more - Tiree has an...
    That's something we have heard often enough up there - if you go to a beach with anyone else on it, just go to the next. That way you could have your private beach. And what's more - Tiree has an airfield, so you could even fly there :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    That's something we have heard often enough up there - if you go to a beach with anyone else on it, just go to the next. That way you could have your private beach. And what's more - Tiree has an airfield, so you could even fly there :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    That's something we have heard often enough up there - if you go to a beach with anyone else on it, just go to the next. That way you could have your private beach. And what's more - Tiree has an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. CROF

Identify these 2 flowers/plants?

The first one is a tuberous begonia, CROF, but the second, well it's difficult to say until it flowers! It could be a wallflower or something else in the cruciferae family.:scratch:
    The first one is a tuberous begonia, CROF, but the second, well it's difficult to say until it flowers! It could be a wallflower or something else in the cruciferae family.:scratch:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jack Sparrow

Crocosmia?

I grow Garnet as it is about the hardiest Penstemon you can grow which is important from the point of view of where I live (in Scotland) It's not nearly as showy as Lucifer or as tall. If you...
    I grow Garnet as it is about the hardiest Penstemon you can grow which is important from the point of view of where I live (in Scotland) It's not nearly as showy as Lucifer or as tall. If you wanted to grow a showy penstemon of similar colour to Lucifer then something like King George. This...
    I grow Garnet as it is about the hardiest Penstemon you can grow which is important from the point of view of where I live (in Scotland) It's not nearly as showy as Lucifer or as tall. If you wanted to grow a showy penstemon of similar colour to...
    I grow Garnet as it is about the hardiest Penstemon you can grow which is important from the point of view of where I live (in Scotland) It's not nearly as showy as Lucifer or as tall. If you...
    image.jpeg 024.JPG image.jpeg image.jpeg GladBy280.jpg penstemon-king-george.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Ariadae

A poo problem! ( with pic)

Looks like fox to me too, but not expert on these things.. :heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Chiaroscuro

This Has Sprouted...

Quite right Redwing :) Not likely that they carry coconuts either :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. ellabella

What on earth is this?

Slime mold, that's definitely it! :ideaIPB: Never heard of it before. Sounds revolting and looks even worse..... dog's vomit describes it perfectly :frown:! I read Sonya's link, really weird stuff. I had to...
    Slime mold, that's definitely it! :ideaIPB: Never heard of it before. Sounds revolting and looks even worse..... dog's vomit describes it perfectly :frown:! I read Sonya's link, really weird stuff. I had to rush out just now to check it's progress, in case it had walked off somewhere. It still looks...
    Slime mold, that's definitely it! :ideaIPB: Never heard of it before. Sounds revolting and looks even worse..... dog's vomit describes it perfectly :frown:! I read Sonya's link, really weird stuff. I had to rush out just now to check it's progress, in case...
    Slime mold, that's definitely it! :ideaIPB: Never heard of it before. Sounds revolting and looks even worse..... dog's vomit describes it perfectly :frown:! I read Sonya's link, really weird stuff. I had to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sally Parker

What are these Roses Please?

I wasn't very clear - RNRS is royal national rose society, HQ is in an area of St Albans whose name I can't remember, I'm afraid. When I worked as a volunteer there, they frequently got ID...
    I wasn't very clear - RNRS is royal national rose society, HQ is in an area of St Albans whose name I can't remember, I'm afraid. When I worked as a volunteer there, they frequently got ID requests. The flower would help immensely though!Whoops - just googled them - apparently gone into...
    I wasn't very clear - RNRS is royal national rose society, HQ is in an area of St Albans whose name I can't remember, I'm afraid. When I worked as a volunteer there, they frequently got ID requests. The flower would help immensely though!Whoops...
    I wasn't very clear - RNRS is royal national rose society, HQ is in an area of St Albans whose name I can't remember, I'm afraid. When I worked as a volunteer there, they frequently got ID...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. HarryS

Cartmel Plants ID

@shiney , great display - I'll have some next year !
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Scrungee
    Like x 3

Fungi on a tree stump? - Identified as Silky Rosegill

Sulphur Surprise – Chicken of the Woods
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Sonya

ID NEEDED PLEASE

Thanks peeps, been looking on t'internet for ages but couldn't find anything. Just looked at RHS site and they reckon it's best in loam or sand so I'm surprised it's growing in the garden it...
    Thanks peeps, been looking on t'internet for ages but couldn't find anything. Just looked at RHS site and they reckon it's best in loam or sand so I'm surprised it's growing in the garden it being clay :scratch: :hapflowers2::thanks:
    Thanks peeps, been looking on t'internet for ages but couldn't find anything. Just looked at RHS site and they reckon it's best in loam or sand so I'm surprised it's growing in the garden it being clay :scratch: :hapflowers2::thanks:
    Thanks peeps, been looking on t'internet for ages but couldn't find anything. Just looked at RHS site and they reckon it's best in loam or sand so I'm surprised it's growing in the garden it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Zander

Inherited plant

No thanks to all for the replies as this is all new to me first year of this gardening very steep learning curve and expensive too, just doing lots of reading and trying to figure what goes with...
    No thanks to all for the replies as this is all new to me first year of this gardening very steep learning curve and expensive too, just doing lots of reading and trying to figure what goes with each other etc thanks all above
    No thanks to all for the replies as this is all new to me first year of this gardening very steep learning curve and expensive too, just doing lots of reading and trying to figure what goes with each other etc thanks all above
    No thanks to all for the replies as this is all new to me first year of this gardening very steep learning curve and expensive too, just doing lots of reading and trying to figure what goes with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. martin-f

ID Please

Its ideal for what I want Palustris, it can spread were it wants on the gravel area it will make nice ground cover :).
    Its ideal for what I want Palustris, it can spread were it wants on the gravel area it will make nice ground cover :).
    dddddddffffffffffffffffffffffff.PNG IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0093.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Victoria Plum

Would love some help identifying these beautiful flowers

Couple of persicarias here with agastaches,,heleniums, anemones
    IMG_8828.JPG IMG_8839.JPG IMG_8842.JPG IMG_8841.JPG IMG_8840.JPG IMG_8843.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. 2nd_bassoon

Mystery plant

Hi 2nd-bassoon ,It's a Plumbago ( common name Leadwort ) . Probably P. Auriculata .
    Hi 2nd-bassoon ,It's a Plumbago ( common name Leadwort ) . Probably P. Auriculata .
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. martin-f

ID Please

Wow! I echo M's words wholeheartedly. Lovely job!
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. HarryS

Fatsia Type ID ?

Hi @HarryS - sorry, by 'seen it done' I mean on Youtube :snorky:. Many years ago, when I used to watch 'Groundforce', Charlie Dimmock always used fibreglass fatsia leaf fountains. They don't seem to make...
    Hi @HarryS - sorry, by 'seen it done' I mean on Youtube :snorky:. Many years ago, when I used to watch 'Groundforce', Charlie Dimmock always used fibreglass fatsia leaf fountains. They don't seem to make those now (shame) but there are plenty of people doing it with cement. And T Rex leaves are...
    Hi @HarryS - sorry, by 'seen it done' I mean on Youtube :snorky:. Many years ago, when I used to watch 'Groundforce', Charlie Dimmock always used fibreglass fatsia leaf fountains. They don't seem to make those now (shame) but there are plenty of people...
    Hi @HarryS - sorry, by 'seen it done' I mean on Youtube :snorky:. Many years ago, when I used to watch 'Groundforce', Charlie Dimmock always used fibreglass fatsia leaf fountains. They don't seem to make...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Mowerman

ID Much Appreciated

You probably aren't eating enough of it.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options