Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Scotmac

New Turf -Does This Look Right?

@LawnAndOrder yes, I’ve seen your other thread about replacing your lawn - what a job you have ahead. You’re not afraid of hard work!I’m not looking for perfection and will happily let you keep...
    @LawnAndOrder yes, I’ve seen your other thread about replacing your lawn - what a job you have ahead. You’re not afraid of hard work!I’m not looking for perfection and will happily let you keep Wimbledon, even if you don’t want it. I can hardly imagine the hassles of living nearby. I just...
    @LawnAndOrder yes, I’ve seen your other thread about replacing your lawn - what a job you have ahead. You’re not afraid of hard work!I’m not looking for perfection and will happily let you keep Wimbledon, even if you don’t want it. I can...
    @LawnAndOrder yes, I’ve seen your other thread about replacing your lawn - what a job you have ahead. You’re not afraid of hard work!I’m not looking for perfection and will happily let you keep...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. LawnAndOrder

So Many, But Which One?????

Good to know. Thank you.The gym is very much Mrs Lao's department; I know there are some around, but I’ve not seen them.Yes. Presumably, they should be deep enough not to interfere with...
    Good to know. Thank you.The gym is very much Mrs Lao's department; I know there are some around, but I’ve not seen them.Yes. Presumably, they should be deep enough not to interfere with the grass roots (10 to 15cm?); whenever I've had brown patches, it's either been stones, or grubs.
    Good to know. Thank you.The gym is very much Mrs Lao's department; I know there are some around, but I’ve not seen them.Yes. Presumably, they should be deep enough not to interfere with the grass roots (10 to 15cm?); whenever I've had...
    Good to know. Thank you.The gym is very much Mrs Lao's department; I know there are some around, but I’ve not seen them.Yes. Presumably, they should be deep enough not to interfere with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Meomye

Lawn looking very sad

Try Evergreen 4 in 1 @Meomye, read the instructions carefully beforehand and you should see improvements within a few days. It blackened the moss in my lawn overnight, I waited a couple of weeks...
    Try Evergreen 4 in 1 @Meomye, read the instructions carefully beforehand and you should see improvements within a few days. It blackened the moss in my lawn overnight, I waited a couple of weeks before scarifying again and then another 6 weeks before reseeding some bare patches.
    Try Evergreen 4 in 1 @Meomye, read the instructions carefully beforehand and you should see improvements within a few days. It blackened the moss in my lawn overnight, I waited a couple of weeks before scarifying again and then another 6 weeks...
    Try Evergreen 4 in 1 @Meomye, read the instructions carefully beforehand and you should see improvements within a few days. It blackened the moss in my lawn overnight, I waited a couple of weeks...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. drlabman

Year Old Lawn - Straw Coloured Stems

Might be worth considering changing the direction of cut; ie dont always cross in the same direction. Also try lifting the 'straws' by brushing with a medium stiff broom prior to mowing, then...
    Might be worth considering changing the direction of cut; ie dont always cross in the same direction. Also try lifting the 'straws' by brushing with a medium stiff broom prior to mowing, then reduce cutting height by one notch and mowing again in the contra direction. Best to do this immediately...
    Might be worth considering changing the direction of cut; ie dont always cross in the same direction. Also try lifting the 'straws' by brushing with a medium stiff broom prior to mowing, then reduce cutting height by one notch and mowing again in...
    Might be worth considering changing the direction of cut; ie dont always cross in the same direction. Also try lifting the 'straws' by brushing with a medium stiff broom prior to mowing, then...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. NoviceGardener2023

Growing grass in seed tray

What you could try that worked well for us is to pre-germinate the grass seed.Get a clear polythene sealable bag, add approx two parts, by volume, of compost or fine soil, with one part of...
    What you could try that worked well for us is to pre-germinate the grass seed.Get a clear polythene sealable bag, add approx two parts, by volume, of compost or fine soil, with one part of grass seed, mix well and the add just a little water to slightly moisten the mix. Leave it somewhere...
    What you could try that worked well for us is to pre-germinate the grass seed.Get a clear polythene sealable bag, add approx two parts, by volume, of compost or fine soil, with one part of grass seed, mix well and the add just a little water...
    What you could try that worked well for us is to pre-germinate the grass seed.Get a clear polythene sealable bag, add approx two parts, by volume, of compost or fine soil, with one part of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. NoviceGardener2023

Where to start with this site/plot?

Me being me, I would beg, buy,, borrow or steal from a skip, some heavy duty plastic sheeting to staple closely onto the boundary fencing where the spraying is done. However as a tenant, what you...
    Me being me, I would beg, buy,, borrow or steal from a skip, some heavy duty plastic sheeting to staple closely onto the boundary fencing where the spraying is done. However as a tenant, what you can do may not allow that. Do some research before spending money on plants as those that will grow...
    Me being me, I would beg, buy,, borrow or steal from a skip, some heavy duty plastic sheeting to staple closely onto the boundary fencing where the spraying is done. However as a tenant, what you can do may not allow that. Do some research before...
    Me being me, I would beg, buy,, borrow or steal from a skip, some heavy duty plastic sheeting to staple closely onto the boundary fencing where the spraying is done. However as a tenant, what you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. LawnAndOrder

Most reliable Grass Seeds

Thank you @LawnAndOrder, enjoy your garden:).
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. LawnAndOrder

NEMATODES - Are they for real?

With nematodes it's all down to timing. I've found the vine-weevil preparation to 100% effective if I follow the instructions - use on damp soil, in September and at temperatures above 10°C. I've...
    With nematodes it's all down to timing. I've found the vine-weevil preparation to 100% effective if I follow the instructions - use on damp soil, in September and at temperatures above 10°C. I've had a look and Nemasys specifically says the anti-chafer nematodes will be ineffective in spring...
    With nematodes it's all down to timing. I've found the vine-weevil preparation to 100% effective if I follow the instructions - use on damp soil, in September and at temperatures above 10°C. I've had a look and Nemasys specifically says the...
    With nematodes it's all down to timing. I've found the vine-weevil preparation to 100% effective if I follow the instructions - use on damp soil, in September and at temperatures above 10°C. I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. NoviceGardener2023

Improve section of lawn

Thank you, as helpful as always.Scarifying rake has finally arrived, so I may get to test it this weekend!When I say drainage is not great, it thankfully doesn’t seem to puddle at all, just...
    Thank you, as helpful as always.Scarifying rake has finally arrived, so I may get to test it this weekend!When I say drainage is not great, it thankfully doesn’t seem to puddle at all, just some parts stay softer/wetter for longer than other parts (they also happen to be in the shade) and...
    Thank you, as helpful as always.Scarifying rake has finally arrived, so I may get to test it this weekend!When I say drainage is not great, it thankfully doesn’t seem to puddle at all, just some parts stay softer/wetter for longer than other...
    Thank you, as helpful as always.Scarifying rake has finally arrived, so I may get to test it this weekend!When I say drainage is not great, it thankfully doesn’t seem to puddle at all, just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. welshone

Which compost should I use .....

Trial and error helps :) Use whatever suits your conditions best, grass seed is not very demanding, it's the lawn care afterwards that can be a struggle!
    Trial and error helps :) Use whatever suits your conditions best, grass seed is not very demanding, it's the lawn care afterwards that can be a struggle!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Neil1961

Light patches on new lawn

The only use for extending leads should be in a park or field for exercise if the dog will not recall reliablyNo dog is ever properly under control on an extending lead. There should be a...
    The only use for extending leads should be in a park or field for exercise if the dog will not recall reliablyNo dog is ever properly under control on an extending lead. There should be a maximum length for leads on dogs being exercised in public footpaths and alongside roads.I’ve seen a...
    The only use for extending leads should be in a park or field for exercise if the dog will not recall reliablyNo dog is ever properly under control on an extending lead. There should be a maximum length for leads on dogs being exercised in...
    The only use for extending leads should be in a park or field for exercise if the dog will not recall reliablyNo dog is ever properly under control on an extending lead. There should be a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Neil1961
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Pete8

Moss - lots of it - anyone tried Viano MO Bacter Organic Lawn Fertiliser & Moss Killer

We used Mo Bactor (always sounds like a Bond villain to me) on our lawn when we moved in and once a couple of years later. Worked a treat
    We used Mo Bactor (always sounds like a Bond villain to me) on our lawn when we moved in and once a couple of years later. Worked a treat
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Astraeus

New lawn - planting bulbs?

Just get bulbs in autumn, and make the holes then for planting them. No good supplier would be sending out spring bulbs at this time of year anyway. If you had some crocus or small daffs already...
    Just get bulbs in autumn, and make the holes then for planting them. No good supplier would be sending out spring bulbs at this time of year anyway. If you had some crocus or small daffs already [the most common bulbs for lawn planting] and could transplant them, it might be ok. Not something...
    Just get bulbs in autumn, and make the holes then for planting them. No good supplier would be sending out spring bulbs at this time of year anyway. If you had some crocus or small daffs already [the most common bulbs for lawn planting] and...
    Just get bulbs in autumn, and make the holes then for planting them. No good supplier would be sending out spring bulbs at this time of year anyway. If you had some crocus or small daffs already...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Nickoslesteros

Cordless mower

We bought a Flymo cordless last year and as long as you have spare charged batteries, it works very well
    We bought a Flymo cordless last year and as long as you have spare charged batteries, it works very well
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Dropmore

Lawn struggling

Thanks Pete8 Mo-Bacter sounds just the job I'll give that a go .
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. DD97

Lawn patches

I agree with what's been said re the grass being long and then being cut short. That can often be a problem, as th elight doesn't get into the lower parts of the grass, so that's exposed if it's...
    I agree with what's been said re the grass being long and then being cut short. That can often be a problem, as th elight doesn't get into the lower parts of the grass, so that's exposed if it's then cut too short. Grass needs to be cut little and often, so even if it's growing through winter,...
    I agree with what's been said re the grass being long and then being cut short. That can often be a problem, as th elight doesn't get into the lower parts of the grass, so that's exposed if it's then cut too short. Grass needs to be cut little...
    I agree with what's been said re the grass being long and then being cut short. That can often be a problem, as th elight doesn't get into the lower parts of the grass, so that's exposed if it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Tufty

What weed is this?

Thanks guys. Doesnt sound like its massively invasive, but Ill remove it anyway. Cheers!
    Thanks guys. Doesnt sound like its massively invasive, but Ill remove it anyway. Cheers!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. RDB85

Lawn Advice

Use a spring tine rake to remove the dead moss from the brown patches. Wait another six weeks as the herbicide in the 4 in 1 will still be active, then add a thin layer of topsoil (bought from a...
    Use a spring tine rake to remove the dead moss from the brown patches. Wait another six weeks as the herbicide in the 4 in 1 will still be active, then add a thin layer of topsoil (bought from a GC), spread grass seed on top then add another thin layer of topsoil on top to deter birds. Water...
    Use a spring tine rake to remove the dead moss from the brown patches. Wait another six weeks as the herbicide in the 4 in 1 will still be active, then add a thin layer of topsoil (bought from a GC), spread grass seed on top then add another thin...
    Use a spring tine rake to remove the dead moss from the brown patches. Wait another six weeks as the herbicide in the 4 in 1 will still be active, then add a thin layer of topsoil (bought from a...
    IMG_8522.jpeg DSC00707.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Vonsworld77

Renovating Old Lawn

HelloMy back garden lawn is quite small and in poor condition. During the winter it becomes very water logged causing a lot of the grass to die and become patchy.So my plan is rake out the...
    HelloMy back garden lawn is quite small and in poor condition. During the winter it becomes very water logged causing a lot of the grass to die and become patchy.So my plan is rake out the thatch, use a hollow tine aerator to take out cores and improve the drainage and then over...
    HelloMy back garden lawn is quite small and in poor condition. During the winter it becomes very water logged causing a lot of the grass to die and become patchy.So my plan is rake out the thatch, use a hollow tine aerator to take out cores...
    HelloMy back garden lawn is quite small and in poor condition. During the winter it becomes very water logged causing a lot of the grass to die and become patchy.So my plan is rake out the...
    20240510_103950.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice