1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. RDB85

Improve Grass. Must be Pet Friendly

I’ve just cut the grass yesterday and I’m looking for some advice on how to make it better. I was thinking of buying a scarifier from Screwfix for £70 as a start.The lawn itself if quite uneven...
    I’ve just cut the grass yesterday and I’m looking for some advice on how to make it better. I was thinking of buying a scarifier from Screwfix for £70 as a start.The lawn itself if quite uneven so it needs to be levelled in parts. I’m also looking for tools such as aerators and spreaders but...
    I’ve just cut the grass yesterday and I’m looking for some advice on how to make it better. I was thinking of buying a scarifier from Screwfix for £70 as a start.The lawn itself if quite uneven so it needs to be levelled in parts. I’m also...
    I’ve just cut the grass yesterday and I’m looking for some advice on how to make it better. I was thinking of buying a scarifier from Screwfix for £70 as a start.The lawn itself if quite uneven...
    IMG_8404.jpeg IMG_8403.jpeg IMG_8402.jpeg IMG_8400.jpeg IMG_8401.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. DaveMK

Lawn Weed with Lawn Feed

I never get too bothered about "grass", but if you want a perfect lawn then probably your old weed a feed will still work..They are banning weedkillers left right and centre so the modern stuff...
    I never get too bothered about "grass", but if you want a perfect lawn then probably your old weed a feed will still work..They are banning weedkillers left right and centre so the modern stuff is less likely to be effective.
    I never get too bothered about "grass", but if you want a perfect lawn then probably your old weed a feed will still work..They are banning weedkillers left right and centre so the modern stuff is less likely to be effective.
    I never get too bothered about "grass", but if you want a perfect lawn then probably your old weed a feed will still work..They are banning weedkillers left right and centre so the modern stuff...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ArcticFox1977

Clover lawn

Very interesting. I used to spend hours on hands and knees pulling out masses of clover. Now, being a lot older, the knees suffer, I can't really see the clover unless on top of it and from a...
    Very interesting. I used to spend hours on hands and knees pulling out masses of clover. Now, being a lot older, the knees suffer, I can't really see the clover unless on top of it and from a distance it looks to me like I have the best "lawn" in the world - another plus for old(er) age.
    Very interesting. I used to spend hours on hands and knees pulling out masses of clover. Now, being a lot older, the knees suffer, I can't really see the clover unless on top of it and from a distance it looks to me like I have the best "lawn" in...
    Very interesting. I used to spend hours on hands and knees pulling out masses of clover. Now, being a lot older, the knees suffer, I can't really see the clover unless on top of it and from a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Scotmac

Where to Start Improving Lawn

Just found it on ITV Player. Lucky the weather is forecast to be wet (as usual) - all the episodes look interesting.
    Just found it on ITV Player. Lucky the weather is forecast to be wet (as usual) - all the episodes look interesting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. LeadFarmer

Grass seed recommendation?

Not really from the dog, I had a new patio laid late last year and they repaired a part of the lawn that got damaged during the process by digging out and laying new turf, but some of that turf...
    Not really from the dog, I had a new patio laid late last year and they repaired a part of the lawn that got damaged during the process by digging out and laying new turf, but some of that turf didn't take and is now bare.
    Not really from the dog, I had a new patio laid late last year and they repaired a part of the lawn that got damaged during the process by digging out and laying new turf, but some of that turf didn't take and is now bare.
    Not really from the dog, I had a new patio laid late last year and they repaired a part of the lawn that got damaged during the process by digging out and laying new turf, but some of that turf...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mattyp

Lawn renovation and thatch issue

I once used a petrol Mantis to remove moss and thatch. Worked very well but it was odd as you have to walk backwards. Filled a dozen rubbish bags and yes the grass looked a bit bare but soon...
    I once used a petrol Mantis to remove moss and thatch. Worked very well but it was odd as you have to walk backwards. Filled a dozen rubbish bags and yes the grass looked a bit bare but soon recovered.
    I once used a petrol Mantis to remove moss and thatch. Worked very well but it was odd as you have to walk backwards. Filled a dozen rubbish bags and yes the grass looked a bit bare but soon recovered.
    I once used a petrol Mantis to remove moss and thatch. Worked very well but it was odd as you have to walk backwards. Filled a dozen rubbish bags and yes the grass looked a bit bare but soon...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. turfturfturf

Non-gardener, turf advice, recently flattened garden

I can only go by what I would do, or have done in the past @turfturfturf . There are lawn 'experts' who will no doubt disagree because they see it from a different point of view, and are used to...
    I can only go by what I would do, or have done in the past @turfturfturf . There are lawn 'experts' who will no doubt disagree because they see it from a different point of view, and are used to making and maintaining commercial turfed areas like sports pitches etc, but most gardeners just want...
    I can only go by what I would do, or have done in the past @turfturfturf . There are lawn 'experts' who will no doubt disagree because they see it from a different point of view, and are used to making and maintaining commercial turfed areas...
    I can only go by what I would do, or have done in the past @turfturfturf . There are lawn 'experts' who will no doubt disagree because they see it from a different point of view, and are used to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Temmy

New lawn - should I overseed?

Ox eye daisies don't mind richer soil - in fact, they love it, but they get bigger because of it.
    Ox eye daisies don't mind richer soil - in fact, they love it, but they get bigger because of it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Bear1

To scarify our not to scarify

It depends how you feel about it, and how big the area is. Many people will use a moss killer, sometimes with a feed, and then scarify once the moss has blackened. You can then re seed when...
    It depends how you feel about it, and how big the area is. Many people will use a moss killer, sometimes with a feed, and then scarify once the moss has blackened. You can then re seed when conditions are warm enough, or just feed and mow. It can be hard work [scarifying] doing it by hand if...
    It depends how you feel about it, and how big the area is. Many people will use a moss killer, sometimes with a feed, and then scarify once the moss has blackened. You can then re seed when conditions are warm enough, or just feed and mow. It...
    It depends how you feel about it, and how big the area is. Many people will use a moss killer, sometimes with a feed, and then scarify once the moss has blackened. You can then re seed when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Ghost

Help! Ants are ruining my life.

Yeah I've never really got the bother about flying ants either, they all appear from under the patio at ours, and it's not a massive patio, so we share. As long as they don't fall into my tea..
    Yeah I've never really got the bother about flying ants either, they all appear from under the patio at ours, and it's not a massive patio, so we share. As long as they don't fall into my tea..
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. MikeStockport

Problem with white daisy type floweres on lawn

A chance to revisit childhood How To Make A Daisy Chain | Appleyard blog :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Pete8

Moss - lots of it - anyone tried Viano MO Bacter Organic Lawn Fertiliser & Moss Killer

Cheers @ricky101 I don't want to use iron sulphate as I have a dog and would end up with black stains on the patio etc and as you say I'd need to rake it all out after treatment which I would...
    Cheers @ricky101 I don't want to use iron sulphate as I have a dog and would end up with black stains on the patio etc and as you say I'd need to rake it all out after treatment which I would struggle to do.I've taken the plunge and just ordered 20Kg Mo Bacter from amazon - at £50 it had...
    Cheers @ricky101 I don't want to use iron sulphate as I have a dog and would end up with black stains on the patio etc and as you say I'd need to rake it all out after treatment which I would struggle to do.I've taken the plunge and just...
    Cheers @ricky101 I don't want to use iron sulphate as I have a dog and would end up with black stains on the patio etc and as you say I'd need to rake it all out after treatment which I would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. DavidGarden

Why does my grass die?

If it is any consolation I have the same problem in exactly the same spot. Tried everything now I have planted grass seed in a large seed tray then I am going to dig it up put in some general...
    If it is any consolation I have the same problem in exactly the same spot. Tried everything now I have planted grass seed in a large seed tray then I am going to dig it up put in some general compost then replant. Fingers crossed.
    If it is any consolation I have the same problem in exactly the same spot. Tried everything now I have planted grass seed in a large seed tray then I am going to dig it up put in some general compost then replant. Fingers crossed.
    If it is any consolation I have the same problem in exactly the same spot. Tried everything now I have planted grass seed in a large seed tray then I am going to dig it up put in some general...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Meomye

Spring lawn care- what to do next

Well you could scarify it and maybe add some General purpose fertilizer after whilst waiting for the ground to warm up sufficiently to apply a grass re-seed :blue thumb:
    Well you could scarify it and maybe add some General purpose fertilizer after whilst waiting for the ground to warm up sufficiently to apply a grass re-seed :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Kevin Cowans

First Lawn Cut of the Year?

Ha! I could have written this! :biggrin: I don't mow any more as it is too much for my back. I have a strimmer and I wave this around when things get desperate, but mostly I just ignore it.
    Ha! I could have written this! :biggrin: I don't mow any more as it is too much for my back. I have a strimmer and I wave this around when things get desperate, but mostly I just ignore it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. welshone

Extreme rainfall - Lawn drainage holes

My concern would be that you'd create a series of sumps where the water would accumulate in wet weather and not really improve the rest of the lawn. You could put in proper land drains to take the...
    My concern would be that you'd create a series of sumps where the water would accumulate in wet weather and not really improve the rest of the lawn. You could put in proper land drains to take the water to a soak away at the low point of the garden. Either just trench and put drains in or strip...
    My concern would be that you'd create a series of sumps where the water would accumulate in wet weather and not really improve the rest of the lawn. You could put in proper land drains to take the water to a soak away at the low point of the...
    My concern would be that you'd create a series of sumps where the water would accumulate in wet weather and not really improve the rest of the lawn. You could put in proper land drains to take the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gareth71

Birds digging up new turf

Thanks for all your reply's, it's appreciated, I will look into getting netting put over areas that are needing replaced. Will look on amazon unless someone knows a better place to purchase.
    Thanks for all your reply's, it's appreciated, I will look into getting netting put over areas that are needing replaced. Will look on amazon unless someone knows a better place to purchase.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Clo_E

Have I killed my new lawn

Thank you so much!
    Thank you so much!
    Thank you so much!
    Thank you so much!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Nuno

Lawn is virtually all moss and weeds

Treat with ferric sulphate as Lawn sand before you scarify, otherwise you are distributing moss spores, which will spread the moss. Allow 14-21 days before raking. The moss will blacken. This does...
    Treat with ferric sulphate as Lawn sand before you scarify, otherwise you are distributing moss spores, which will spread the moss. Allow 14-21 days before raking. The moss will blacken. This does not leave a problem free area, because the conditions that allow moss persist. See above. Improve...
    Treat with ferric sulphate as Lawn sand before you scarify, otherwise you are distributing moss spores, which will spread the moss. Allow 14-21 days before raking. The moss will blacken. This does not leave a problem free area, because the...
    Treat with ferric sulphate as Lawn sand before you scarify, otherwise you are distributing moss spores, which will spread the moss. Allow 14-21 days before raking. The moss will blacken. This does...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. grooster

Help and advice needed with a lawn please

If the problem is leatherjackets; then there is a nematode treatment you can water on. Soil temperature needs to be high enough. There is a similar treatment for chafer beetle grubs.
    If the problem is leatherjackets; then there is a nematode treatment you can water on. Soil temperature needs to be high enough. There is a similar treatment for chafer beetle grubs.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice