1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Mike_T

Lawn treatment has stained my paving

I rang Scotts UK helpline and was instructed to treat them with a 50% solution of vinegar. Unfortunately this didn't have any noticeable effect on the stains but bleached the surrounding areas so...
    I rang Scotts UK helpline and was instructed to treat them with a 50% solution of vinegar. Unfortunately this didn't have any noticeable effect on the stains but bleached the surrounding areas so they now look worse than before.I think you're right - they'll just have to weather, but past...
    I rang Scotts UK helpline and was instructed to treat them with a 50% solution of vinegar. Unfortunately this didn't have any noticeable effect on the stains but bleached the surrounding areas so they now look worse than before.I think you're...
    I rang Scotts UK helpline and was instructed to treat them with a 50% solution of vinegar. Unfortunately this didn't have any noticeable effect on the stains but bleached the surrounding areas so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. DariusX

Lawn tufts - help needed

Hi Darius Could well indeed be the coarser grasses as Steve suggests but sounds like Couch grass to me, I have it in my garden, although considerably less than when I moved in - its a matter for...
    Hi Darius Could well indeed be the coarser grasses as Steve suggests but sounds like Couch grass to me, I have it in my garden, although considerably less than when I moved in - its a matter for perseverance :rolleyes: ! check out this link ...
    Hi Darius Could well indeed be the coarser grasses as Steve suggests but sounds like Couch grass to me, I have it in my garden, although considerably less than when I moved in - its a matter for perseverance :rolleyes: ! check out this link ...
    Hi Darius Could well indeed be the coarser grasses as Steve suggests but sounds like Couch grass to me, I have it in my garden, although considerably less than when I moved in - its a matter for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Mike Ross

New Lawn help

Hi Mike,How long since the turf was laid? If it's fairly new, you might consider giving it a bit longer to let the roots go deeper before you do anything. Established turf has an amazing...
    Hi Mike,How long since the turf was laid? If it's fairly new, you might consider giving it a bit longer to let the roots go deeper before you do anything. Established turf has an amazing capacity to firm soft ground, and once the roots develop further, you'll find that surplus water is removed...
    Hi Mike,How long since the turf was laid? If it's fairly new, you might consider giving it a bit longer to let the roots go deeper before you do anything. Established turf has an amazing capacity to firm soft ground, and once the roots develop...
    Hi Mike,How long since the turf was laid? If it's fairly new, you might consider giving it a bit longer to let the roots go deeper before you do anything. Established turf has an amazing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Justin

tired lawn

Hmm, sounds like Italian Ryegrass to me - not something you want to try and grow a lawn out of ;)Dwarf Ryegrass germinates quickly, and is very wear tolerant, but as its name suggests, it...
    Hmm, sounds like Italian Ryegrass to me - not something you want to try and grow a lawn out of ;)Dwarf Ryegrass germinates quickly, and is very wear tolerant, but as its name suggests, it doesn't grow like an agricultural crop.
    Hmm, sounds like Italian Ryegrass to me - not something you want to try and grow a lawn out of ;)Dwarf Ryegrass germinates quickly, and is very wear tolerant, but as its name suggests, it doesn't grow like an agricultural crop.
    Hmm, sounds like Italian Ryegrass to me - not something you want to try and grow a lawn out of ;)Dwarf Ryegrass germinates quickly, and is very wear tolerant, but as its name suggests, it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Helpless

Lawn

There isn't much you can do to 'treat' a soil before you lay turf, but you might want to apply some pre-seed fertiliser to the soil before you actually lay the turf - this makes sure that the...
    There isn't much you can do to 'treat' a soil before you lay turf, but you might want to apply some pre-seed fertiliser to the soil before you actually lay the turf - this makes sure that the nutrients move down into the native soil, as opposed to sitting in the half inch of soil that the turf...
    There isn't much you can do to 'treat' a soil before you lay turf, but you might want to apply some pre-seed fertiliser to the soil before you actually lay the turf - this makes sure that the nutrients move down into the native soil, as opposed...
    There isn't much you can do to 'treat' a soil before you lay turf, but you might want to apply some pre-seed fertiliser to the soil before you actually lay the turf - this makes sure that the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. lawnmowerman

Applying Fertiser to a lawn

Hi Lawnmowerman,Yes, you can add a granular fertiliser, but you're right, you ought to use a straight fertiliser without added selective weed killer.There's no need to wait before applying...
    Hi Lawnmowerman,Yes, you can add a granular fertiliser, but you're right, you ought to use a straight fertiliser without added selective weed killer.There's no need to wait before applying fertiliser - so go for it, but don't overdo it or you'll be mowing 5 times a week ;)
    Hi Lawnmowerman,Yes, you can add a granular fertiliser, but you're right, you ought to use a straight fertiliser without added selective weed killer.There's no need to wait before applying fertiliser - so go for it, but don't overdo it or...
    Hi Lawnmowerman,Yes, you can add a granular fertiliser, but you're right, you ought to use a straight fertiliser without added selective weed killer.There's no need to wait before applying...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. tosh496

GRASS SEEDS

Hi Bayleaf - I've given swompy a reply but I think that particular lawn might be beyond help - time to call in the astroturf!
    Hi Bayleaf - I've given swompy a reply but I think that particular lawn might be beyond help - time to call in the astroturf!
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Paladin

Borage in my lawn?

Borage it is then :DI haven't ever had to treat Borage so I don't know how effective a weed and feed would be. Personally I prefer to do the two things separately, using a broad spectrum...
    Borage it is then :DI haven't ever had to treat Borage so I don't know how effective a weed and feed would be. Personally I prefer to do the two things separately, using a broad spectrum selective weed killer. I wouldn't worry too much about the clover though - anything short of Agent Orange...
    Borage it is then :DI haven't ever had to treat Borage so I don't know how effective a weed and feed would be. Personally I prefer to do the two things separately, using a broad spectrum selective weed killer. I wouldn't worry too much about...
    Borage it is then :DI haven't ever had to treat Borage so I don't know how effective a weed and feed would be. Personally I prefer to do the two things separately, using a broad spectrum...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. MPLB

Spiders in the lawn

Why do you want to kill them, though? They are unlikely to be doing any significant harm [at least in my experience].Do you have any fruit trees or vines nearby? It seems to me to be more likely...
    Why do you want to kill them, though? They are unlikely to be doing any significant harm [at least in my experience].Do you have any fruit trees or vines nearby? It seems to me to be more likely that they are living there.
    Why do you want to kill them, though? They are unlikely to be doing any significant harm [at least in my experience].Do you have any fruit trees or vines nearby? It seems to me to be more likely that they are living there.
    Why do you want to kill them, though? They are unlikely to be doing any significant harm [at least in my experience].Do you have any fruit trees or vines nearby? It seems to me to be more likely...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. e17ab

lawn and garden being taken over!

Thanks for the pics e17ab.It looks to me as though this is Baby's Tears, also known as Angels Tears or Mind Your Own Business (Latin Soleirolia soleirolii) - if you run a google images search...
    Thanks for the pics e17ab.It looks to me as though this is Baby's Tears, also known as Angels Tears or Mind Your Own Business (Latin Soleirolia soleirolii) - if you run a google images search for that, you'll probably find a few more pictures to compare yours to.A broad leaf selective weed...
    Thanks for the pics e17ab.It looks to me as though this is Baby's Tears, also known as Angels Tears or Mind Your Own Business (Latin Soleirolia soleirolii) - if you run a google images search for that, you'll probably find a few more pictures...
    Thanks for the pics e17ab.It looks to me as though this is Baby's Tears, also known as Angels Tears or Mind Your Own Business (Latin Soleirolia soleirolii) - if you run a google images search...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. David Simpson

Lawn in Turkey

Thanks for the replies, it looks as though my choices are limited. I would happily bring in a company, as Will suggested, but most are little more than cowboys who might do more harm than good. I...
    Thanks for the replies, it looks as though my choices are limited. I would happily bring in a company, as Will suggested, but most are little more than cowboys who might do more harm than good. I can't really gravel the area because it's about 1200m2. I'll do as Fran suggested and look around at...
    Thanks for the replies, it looks as though my choices are limited. I would happily bring in a company, as Will suggested, but most are little more than cowboys who might do more harm than good. I can't really gravel the area because it's about...
    Thanks for the replies, it looks as though my choices are limited. I would happily bring in a company, as Will suggested, but most are little more than cowboys who might do more harm than good. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Malcolm

Lawns

I would do the following if you don't want to returf and that would be my way.Rake the lawn to remove the moss and the accumulated debris. Moss can be sign of compacted soil.Aereate - use a...
    I would do the following if you don't want to returf and that would be my way.Rake the lawn to remove the moss and the accumulated debris. Moss can be sign of compacted soil.Aereate - use a garden fork, and dig in, lever back a little, and add sharp sand to increase the drainage, then sow...
    I would do the following if you don't want to returf and that would be my way.Rake the lawn to remove the moss and the accumulated debris. Moss can be sign of compacted soil.Aereate - use a garden fork, and dig in, lever back a little, and...
    I would do the following if you don't want to returf and that would be my way.Rake the lawn to remove the moss and the accumulated debris. Moss can be sign of compacted soil.Aereate - use a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. dunkthehunk

novice lawngrower

thanks for the advice i,m sorry i took so long to reply but i had to go out, i,ll pass on the info thanks again Duncan
    thanks for the advice i,m sorry i took so long to reply but i had to go out, i,ll pass on the info thanks again Duncan
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. daveyp

new member,new lawn!

Just a tip on starting off a new lawn which I have done on previous occasion. I normally mix my grass seeds with a good multi purpose compost in a wheelbarrow. I leave it for about five days in...
    Just a tip on starting off a new lawn which I have done on previous occasion. I normally mix my grass seeds with a good multi purpose compost in a wheelbarrow. I leave it for about five days in the garden shed, turning it once a day, whereby it will start to sprout, I then sow it on the...
    Just a tip on starting off a new lawn which I have done on previous occasion. I normally mix my grass seeds with a good multi purpose compost in a wheelbarrow. I leave it for about five days in the garden shed, turning it once a day, whereby it...
    Just a tip on starting off a new lawn which I have done on previous occasion. I normally mix my grass seeds with a good multi purpose compost in a wheelbarrow. I leave it for about five days in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Not green fingered

Roots in lawn

Thank you both for your helpNGF
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. tinkerbell

Thick stalk like grass in my lawn.

It sounds as though the lawn is pretty well established, so just about any lawn food will do. I prefer the slow release ones, because they'll usually last a couple of months even if it pours with...
    It sounds as though the lawn is pretty well established, so just about any lawn food will do. I prefer the slow release ones, because they'll usually last a couple of months even if it pours with rain all summer - but they are more expensive.Go for a spring / summer NPK analysis, which means...
    It sounds as though the lawn is pretty well established, so just about any lawn food will do. I prefer the slow release ones, because they'll usually last a couple of months even if it pours with rain all summer - but they are more expensive.Go...
    It sounds as though the lawn is pretty well established, so just about any lawn food will do. I prefer the slow release ones, because they'll usually last a couple of months even if it pours with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. renfrew999

Soft spot for lawn

Remember the top can still look dry even if the real water problem is deep down. Only solution is to dig a pit to investigate. Check outfall from draiage system runs shortly after heavy rain.
    Remember the top can still look dry even if the real water problem is deep down. Only solution is to dig a pit to investigate. Check outfall from draiage system runs shortly after heavy rain.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Spendleb

New Lawn - Patchy??

I would add one point, have you had extremes of rain and dessicating dry winds (we have up here in East Scotland) This can cause problems with emerging seeds (encouraged to germinate by heavy rain...
    I would add one point, have you had extremes of rain and dessicating dry winds (we have up here in East Scotland) This can cause problems with emerging seeds (encouraged to germinate by heavy rain and then hammered by dessicating wind). This, alongside the spring weed flush, is why autumn takes...
    I would add one point, have you had extremes of rain and dessicating dry winds (we have up here in East Scotland) This can cause problems with emerging seeds (encouraged to germinate by heavy rain and then hammered by dessicating wind). This,...
    I would add one point, have you had extremes of rain and dessicating dry winds (we have up here in East Scotland) This can cause problems with emerging seeds (encouraged to germinate by heavy rain...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. lester

Dying lawn!

When you say it is clay, it may be the subsoil which the builders have generously given you. Not the best stuff to grow in. As I have said elsewhere there is no substitute to digging a pit for a...
    When you say it is clay, it may be the subsoil which the builders have generously given you. Not the best stuff to grow in. As I have said elsewhere there is no substitute to digging a pit for a look see. Sub-surface problems in new housing is very common. There are clay and sand soils in NE...
    When you say it is clay, it may be the subsoil which the builders have generously given you. Not the best stuff to grow in. As I have said elsewhere there is no substitute to digging a pit for a look see. Sub-surface problems in new housing is...
    When you say it is clay, it may be the subsoil which the builders have generously given you. Not the best stuff to grow in. As I have said elsewhere there is no substitute to digging a pit for a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. vijay

lawn preperation

That is right but check what percentage of "active ingredient" is included as some products are stronger than others
    That is right but check what percentage of "active ingredient" is included as some products are stronger than others
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice