1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Rocklandsboy

Growing lawn where paving used to be - do I have a problem?

Very well phrased there Shiney. I was a landscape gardener for over 30 yrs before retiring last year . I would always give a price for each job ,listing all work to be undertaken ,if you saw that...
    Very well phrased there Shiney. I was a landscape gardener for over 30 yrs before retiring last year . I would always give a price for each job ,listing all work to be undertaken ,if you saw that there was a possible problem area that may incur an extra cost this would be mentioned at the time...
    Very well phrased there Shiney. I was a landscape gardener for over 30 yrs before retiring last year . I would always give a price for each job ,listing all work to be undertaken ,if you saw that there was a possible problem area that may incur...
    Very well phrased there Shiney. I was a landscape gardener for over 30 yrs before retiring last year . I would always give a price for each job ,listing all work to be undertaken ,if you saw that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. stomach

Laying turf over an existing lawn?

although you can't see the effects of foundations of beautiful buildings...it doesn't mean they are pointless...*dreams about green lawns and pollen counting"
    although you can't see the effects of foundations of beautiful buildings...it doesn't mean they are pointless...*dreams about green lawns and pollen counting"
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Melannie

Bad neighbour not cutting grass :(

Melannie, sometimes we just have to accept that there are plonkers in this world and get on with our lives despite them! It's all a question of mind over matter - if you don't mind, then it...
    Melannie, sometimes we just have to accept that there are plonkers in this world and get on with our lives despite them! It's all a question of mind over matter - if you don't mind, then it doesn't matter! :heehee: Having given forth of that little bon mot of wisdom, I am therefore closing this...
    Melannie, sometimes we just have to accept that there are plonkers in this world and get on with our lives despite them! It's all a question of mind over matter - if you don't mind, then it doesn't matter! :heehee: Having given forth of that little...
    Melannie, sometimes we just have to accept that there are plonkers in this world and get on with our lives despite them! It's all a question of mind over matter - if you don't mind, then it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. paterson00

Can you scarify your lawn too much?

I do it in several directions, at least 4, if not more. Depends on how bad it is. If you want to give it a good blitz with the scarifying, either invest in a small electric scarifyer, or hire...
    I do it in several directions, at least 4, if not more. Depends on how bad it is. If you want to give it a good blitz with the scarifying, either invest in a small electric scarifyer, or hire one for a day/weekend, and then you'd only need to keep on top of it.For top dressing, have a look...
    I do it in several directions, at least 4, if not more. Depends on how bad it is. If you want to give it a good blitz with the scarifying, either invest in a small electric scarifyer, or hire one for a day/weekend, and then you'd only need to...
    I do it in several directions, at least 4, if not more. Depends on how bad it is. If you want to give it a good blitz with the scarifying, either invest in a small electric scarifyer, or hire...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. frustrated

lawn being dug up every night!

That sounds like you've got birds feeding on Chafer Grubs Steve. The bulk of the mess is made by the birds digging, but the grass dying off is due to the grubs eating away at the roots.Have a...
    That sounds like you've got birds feeding on Chafer Grubs Steve. The bulk of the mess is made by the birds digging, but the grass dying off is due to the grubs eating away at the roots.Have a look here and see if it looks like your problem - I've got no idea how well this stuff works, but...
    That sounds like you've got birds feeding on Chafer Grubs Steve. The bulk of the mess is made by the birds digging, but the grass dying off is due to the grubs eating away at the roots.Have a look here and see if it looks like your problem -...
    That sounds like you've got birds feeding on Chafer Grubs Steve. The bulk of the mess is made by the birds digging, but the grass dying off is due to the grubs eating away at the roots.Have a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. timcs

Problem with Petrol Mower - Mountfield SP414

All I have decided after all to get the mower serviced/repaired for around £50, so fingers crossed and thank you all for your help and input on this matter.ThanksTimCS
    All I have decided after all to get the mower serviced/repaired for around £50, so fingers crossed and thank you all for your help and input on this matter.ThanksTimCS
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Passport1

My new lawn turf is patchy in places - suggestions for how to restore it

It is important that when you water you water "plenty". The idea is to make the soil (below the grass/plant) wet, then you don't water for a bit, the surface dries out in the sun, but there is...
    It is important that when you water you water "plenty". The idea is to make the soil (below the grass/plant) wet, then you don't water for a bit, the surface dries out in the sun, but there is still water lower down. So the roots grow down, where there is water. Once they have done that they...
    It is important that when you water you water "plenty". The idea is to make the soil (below the grass/plant) wet, then you don't water for a bit, the surface dries out in the sun, but there is still water lower down. So the roots grow down,...
    It is important that when you water you water "plenty". The idea is to make the soil (below the grass/plant) wet, then you don't water for a bit, the surface dries out in the sun, but there is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Frankiep

Growmore for lawns

Earlier today talking to a neighbour from further up the road, I told him of continuous problems with my front lawn, despite my efforts doing all the things I know, read up on and searched on...
    Earlier today talking to a neighbour from further up the road, I told him of continuous problems with my front lawn, despite my efforts doing all the things I know, read up on and searched on websites and acting on the advice. To say nothing of the time & expense involved. It isn't an absolute...
    Earlier today talking to a neighbour from further up the road, I told him of continuous problems with my front lawn, despite my efforts doing all the things I know, read up on and searched on websites and acting on the advice. To say nothing of...
    Earlier today talking to a neighbour from further up the road, I told him of continuous problems with my front lawn, despite my efforts doing all the things I know, read up on and searched on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. drewster

I've mown through my lawn mower cable!

Part P does not apply and the moulded on plugs are hardly moisture proof as the motor industry discovered years ago. In fact moulding on unless there is actual fusing of the two materials (PVC...
    Part P does not apply and the moulded on plugs are hardly moisture proof as the motor industry discovered years ago. In fact moulding on unless there is actual fusing of the two materials (PVC cable to whatever material the plug is made of) make it probable that moisture will be drawn in by the...
    Part P does not apply and the moulded on plugs are hardly moisture proof as the motor industry discovered years ago. In fact moulding on unless there is actual fusing of the two materials (PVC cable to whatever material the plug is made of) make...
    Part P does not apply and the moulded on plugs are hardly moisture proof as the motor industry discovered years ago. In fact moulding on unless there is actual fusing of the two materials (PVC...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. cooperidol

RENEWING AN UNEVEN WEED INFESTED LAWN? HELP

What weeds are we talking about? I bet they're Dock (large leaves, very deep, thick tap root)?That being the case, I think there's very little point trying to dig them out. You won't get all the...
    What weeds are we talking about? I bet they're Dock (large leaves, very deep, thick tap root)?That being the case, I think there's very little point trying to dig them out. You won't get all the roots out and they'll just come back.Assuming there is still a lot of grass, and that grass is...
    What weeds are we talking about? I bet they're Dock (large leaves, very deep, thick tap root)?That being the case, I think there's very little point trying to dig them out. You won't get all the roots out and they'll just come back.Assuming...
    What weeds are we talking about? I bet they're Dock (large leaves, very deep, thick tap root)?That being the case, I think there's very little point trying to dig them out. You won't get all the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. HarryS

Scarifier Choice ?

Good find Mowgley :dbgrtmb: Looks like they must be stock of last years model , from the reviews - all in 2011.
    Good find Mowgley :dbgrtmb: Looks like they must be stock of last years model , from the reviews - all in 2011.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. saint_david

When to mow lawn after overseeding?

Hi HarryS, I stick a few spikes (broken canes about 6 ins long) under the plastic to lift it off the ground. A few round the sides to hold it down, acts like a greenhouse and raises the temp and...
    Hi HarryS, I stick a few spikes (broken canes about 6 ins long) under the plastic to lift it off the ground. A few round the sides to hold it down, acts like a greenhouse and raises the temp and humidity thus speeding germination.Another plus point is it keeps the birds off.
    Hi HarryS, I stick a few spikes (broken canes about 6 ins long) under the plastic to lift it off the ground. A few round the sides to hold it down, acts like a greenhouse and raises the temp and humidity thus speeding germination.Another plus...
    Hi HarryS, I stick a few spikes (broken canes about 6 ins long) under the plastic to lift it off the ground. A few round the sides to hold it down, acts like a greenhouse and raises the temp and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. richardm

New Turf Worries

Let's hope all this rain we are having is helping and when you eventually do decide to cut the grass, make sure you cut it at a really high setting so it's not actually that short.
    Let's hope all this rain we are having is helping and when you eventually do decide to cut the grass, make sure you cut it at a really high setting so it's not actually that short.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. russjet

brown patches on newly laid lawn

I doubt over watering will be the probem, it sounds more like the brown areas need more consolidation, idd lift a corner and have a look.If needs lift them, put some extra soil under and...
    I doubt over watering will be the probem, it sounds more like the brown areas need more consolidation, idd lift a corner and have a look.If needs lift them, put some extra soil under and consolidate.
    I doubt over watering will be the probem, it sounds more like the brown areas need more consolidation, idd lift a corner and have a look.If needs lift them, put some extra soil under and consolidate.
    I doubt over watering will be the probem, it sounds more like the brown areas need more consolidation, idd lift a corner and have a look.If needs lift them, put some extra soil under and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Dietspam

New build lawn soil like clay.

Thanks for the responses! Will take some pics tonight and share.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. cooperidol

Uneven, weedy lawn> weed membrane, new lawn?

I'm guessing you would only use it where special quality was need then and you had the time to give it attention. It makes sense about being harder to establish, less bulk less root more chance of...
    I'm guessing you would only use it where special quality was need then and you had the time to give it attention. It makes sense about being harder to establish, less bulk less root more chance of drying out.
    I'm guessing you would only use it where special quality was need then and you had the time to give it attention. It makes sense about being harder to establish, less bulk less root more chance of drying out.
    I'm guessing you would only use it where special quality was need then and you had the time to give it attention. It makes sense about being harder to establish, less bulk less root more chance of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. DenProject

Patchy lawn needs thickening. How? I'm new to gardening :)

I have four dogs and a small lawn, and on the front a shaded lawn which attracts moss, so they always need a bit of tlc in spring and autumn.First I scarify the lawn, then aerate it with a fork....
    I have four dogs and a small lawn, and on the front a shaded lawn which attracts moss, so they always need a bit of tlc in spring and autumn.First I scarify the lawn, then aerate it with a fork. Following that I top dress it with compost and then scatter lawn seed, rake it lightly and then...
    I have four dogs and a small lawn, and on the front a shaded lawn which attracts moss, so they always need a bit of tlc in spring and autumn.First I scarify the lawn, then aerate it with a fork. Following that I top dress it with compost and...
    I have four dogs and a small lawn, and on the front a shaded lawn which attracts moss, so they always need a bit of tlc in spring and autumn.First I scarify the lawn, then aerate it with a fork....
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Aaron Cabrele

New lawn + hosepipe ban = HELP!!

You'll need to ease-up during the 28 days, rather than just "stop" on day 28 (as the grass won't be acclimatised to "no water"!). I suggest that if the weather is not hot you delay the next...
    You'll need to ease-up during the 28 days, rather than just "stop" on day 28 (as the grass won't be acclimatised to "no water"!). I suggest that if the weather is not hot you delay the next drench. Maybe make a timetable so you are down to every 4 days by the end of 28 days. I think you will...
    You'll need to ease-up during the 28 days, rather than just "stop" on day 28 (as the grass won't be acclimatised to "no water"!). I suggest that if the weather is not hot you delay the next drench. Maybe make a timetable so you are down to...
    You'll need to ease-up during the 28 days, rather than just "stop" on day 28 (as the grass won't be acclimatised to "no water"!). I suggest that if the weather is not hot you delay the next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. BlueMango

Can I lay a new lawn directly over an existing one..

Thanks Sheal. Mmmm, food for thought...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. bungaro

no drainage in back garden

Thanks Kristen for the quick reply and good advice. I should have mentioned i plan on moving next year,this sound like a big job, i guess i will just have to make do for now and hope we get some...
    Thanks Kristen for the quick reply and good advice. I should have mentioned i plan on moving next year,this sound like a big job, i guess i will just have to make do for now and hope we get some good weather noth of the border this year.
    Thanks Kristen for the quick reply and good advice. I should have mentioned i plan on moving next year,this sound like a big job, i guess i will just have to make do for now and hope we get some good weather noth of the border this year.
    Thanks Kristen for the quick reply and good advice. I should have mentioned i plan on moving next year,this sound like a big job, i guess i will just have to make do for now and hope we get some...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice