1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. sheppy

Spongy, wet lawn

So far as I know, I believe a wet, soggy lawn to be indicative of moss and thatch - dead grass. So what your lawn needs is scarifying. Take a look at this site, it's a mine of good...
    So far as I know, I believe a wet, soggy lawn to be indicative of moss and thatch - dead grass. So what your lawn needs is scarifying. Take a look at this site, it's a mine of good tips. http://www.lawn-care-tips.co.uk/lawn-maintenance/index.htm
    So far as I know, I believe a wet, soggy lawn to be indicative of moss and thatch - dead grass. So what your lawn needs is scarifying. Take a look at this site, it's a mine of good tips. http://www.lawn-care-tips.co.uk/lawn-maintenance/index.htm
    So far as I know, I believe a wet, soggy lawn to be indicative of moss and thatch - dead grass. So what your lawn needs is scarifying. Take a look at this site, it's a mine of good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. olivetree

dead grass

I have an elderly friend and her dog piddles all over her lawn terrible mess. Can't you dog lovers train your doggies to wee in one area? Fence a bit off perhaps until it learns.
    I have an elderly friend and her dog piddles all over her lawn terrible mess. Can't you dog lovers train your doggies to wee in one area? Fence a bit off perhaps until it learns.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. laid2lawn

Yellow Lawn!!!!

I work full time on a clay soil and have now got the lawns, about 6 acres, pretty good, even the croquet area is as good as golf greens. The problem with clay soil is it retains moisture and...
    I work full time on a clay soil and have now got the lawns, about 6 acres, pretty good, even the croquet area is as good as golf greens. The problem with clay soil is it retains moisture and you get some areas that seem more quoggy than others, some simple tips to help, but not...
    I work full time on a clay soil and have now got the lawns, about 6 acres, pretty good, even the croquet area is as good as golf greens. The problem with clay soil is it retains moisture and you get some areas that seem more quoggy than...
    I work full time on a clay soil and have now got the lawns, about 6 acres, pretty good, even the croquet area is as good as golf greens. The problem with clay soil is it retains moisture and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. greencarpman

new lawn

the area is 110msq It has been raining lately and there has been puddles on the top left, but will the turf grow okay on top of the 50mm top soil. The clayish surface isn't completely compact...
    the area is 110msq It has been raining lately and there has been puddles on the top left, but will the turf grow okay on top of the 50mm top soil. The clayish surface isn't completely compact together.
    the area is 110msq It has been raining lately and there has been puddles on the top left, but will the turf grow okay on top of the 50mm top soil. The clayish surface isn't completely compact together.
    the area is 110msq It has been raining lately and there has been puddles on the top left, but will the turf grow okay on top of the 50mm top soil. The clayish surface isn't completely compact...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Pablo

Advice on how to level lawn appreciated...

If it is not a massive lawn you could use a straight edge. This could be a piece of timber, also knock in, as working, small pegs to give you a guide for leveling and filling in.
    If it is not a massive lawn you could use a straight edge. This could be a piece of timber, also knock in, as working, small pegs to give you a guide for leveling and filling in.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. arwyn

new lawn

This time of year you are looking around 4 to 6 weeks to start to knit and lay root in to the ground.One way to test to see what is going on, try the pull test. Find the edge of one of the turfs...
    This time of year you are looking around 4 to 6 weeks to start to knit and lay root in to the ground.One way to test to see what is going on, try the pull test. Find the edge of one of the turfs and give it a gentle pull, if it comes away easily you know it has not fused.As for cutting the...
    This time of year you are looking around 4 to 6 weeks to start to knit and lay root in to the ground.One way to test to see what is going on, try the pull test. Find the edge of one of the turfs and give it a gentle pull, if it comes away...
    This time of year you are looking around 4 to 6 weeks to start to knit and lay root in to the ground.One way to test to see what is going on, try the pull test. Find the edge of one of the turfs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. DavieM

Grass Garden ?

rhs site, with plant selector is probaly quickest option for specific answers. I love grasses, but haven't direct info on sizes, except that ophiopogon is lovely but small, and pampas grass is...
    rhs site, with plant selector is probaly quickest option for specific answers. I love grasses, but haven't direct info on sizes, except that ophiopogon is lovely but small, and pampas grass is probably a bit tall! I partic like festuca glauca, but again, maybe a bit small for you? Pennisetum...
    rhs site, with plant selector is probaly quickest option for specific answers. I love grasses, but haven't direct info on sizes, except that ophiopogon is lovely but small, and pampas grass is probably a bit tall! I partic like festuca glauca,...
    rhs site, with plant selector is probaly quickest option for specific answers. I love grasses, but haven't direct info on sizes, except that ophiopogon is lovely but small, and pampas grass is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. marge

Grass - do I cut it back?

Great - thanks - will get out there and do it as soon as the weather calms down a bit :rolleyes:
    Great - thanks - will get out there and do it as soon as the weather calms down a bit :rolleyes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Flashman

Turf on top of Turf

Sorry, late again. It's not best practice but can be done, saving time & money (who's paying?) :(
    Sorry, late again. It's not best practice but can be done, saving time & money (who's paying?) :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. lockall

Lawn problem

Liz and Nixonf23,many thanks for your comments. I will follow up 'Fasarium Patch' This does seem to be relevant to my problem
    Liz and Nixonf23,many thanks for your comments. I will follow up 'Fasarium Patch' This does seem to be relevant to my problem
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. lazy-gardener

where shall i put dug up turf?

Lazy-Gardiner, I put all my garden waste in black bin bags, with some water and a few holes, to compost. As you say you can lob them into odd corners and forget them.They are easy to handle,...
    Lazy-Gardiner, I put all my garden waste in black bin bags, with some water and a few holes, to compost. As you say you can lob them into odd corners and forget them.They are easy to handle, and you can have as many as you like. I thought of buying a cheap council Darlek, but the problem is...
    Lazy-Gardiner, I put all my garden waste in black bin bags, with some water and a few holes, to compost. As you say you can lob them into odd corners and forget them.They are easy to handle, and you can have as many as you like. I thought of...
    Lazy-Gardiner, I put all my garden waste in black bin bags, with some water and a few holes, to compost. As you say you can lob them into odd corners and forget them.They are easy to handle,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. LCH

Oval lawn

Back to school? Nothing could be that bad ;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. lisamoira

growing new grass

I used to live in a terrace of cottages with communal gravelled drives. We all got fed up with regravelling etc and left it. After 2 years the grass had spread all over it and with the aid of lawn...
    I used to live in a terrace of cottages with communal gravelled drives. We all got fed up with regravelling etc and left it. After 2 years the grass had spread all over it and with the aid of lawn weedkillers it looked quite good, and could safely be mowed without gravel spitting up.This was...
    I used to live in a terrace of cottages with communal gravelled drives. We all got fed up with regravelling etc and left it. After 2 years the grass had spread all over it and with the aid of lawn weedkillers it looked quite good, and could...
    I used to live in a terrace of cottages with communal gravelled drives. We all got fed up with regravelling etc and left it. After 2 years the grass had spread all over it and with the aid of lawn...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Don Johnson

Toplawn - BLUE weed and feed

Hi,Anyone know where this product - now discontinued :confused: by PBI (part of Bayer) - can be obtained, please?I found it so much beter than other products where I always left...
    Hi,Anyone know where this product - now discontinued :confused: by PBI (part of Bayer) - can be obtained, please?I found it so much beter than other products where I always left 'ungreened' lines on the lawn where I failed to cover completely. The blue marker prevents this, but...
    Hi,Anyone know where this product - now discontinued :confused: by PBI (part of Bayer) - can be obtained, please?I found it so much beter than other products where I always left 'ungreened' lines on the lawn where I failed to cover...
    Hi,Anyone know where this product - now discontinued :confused: by PBI (part of Bayer) - can be obtained, please?I found it so much beter than other products where I always left...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. sevenoaksgardener

Laying turf on rubble?

astroturf!!and plenty of ointment for junior's knees!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. susanbythesea

killing off turf!

If you use a product called ROUNDUP then you can replant as soon as the grass is dead. but it will need rotavating, etc.. as the others have said
    If you use a product called ROUNDUP then you can replant as soon as the grass is dead. but it will need rotavating, etc.. as the others have said
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. neilskeates

best grass seed

there are as many varieties of grass seed as you can imagine, if you want to fill in patches on a hard wearing lawn you mite go for a ryegrass mixture, which you can get in supermarkets as well as...
    there are as many varieties of grass seed as you can imagine, if you want to fill in patches on a hard wearing lawn you mite go for a ryegrass mixture, which you can get in supermarkets as well as garden centres etc, don t be tempted by the Canada Green tho, it is so lush it will show up...
    there are as many varieties of grass seed as you can imagine, if you want to fill in patches on a hard wearing lawn you mite go for a ryegrass mixture, which you can get in supermarkets as well as garden centres etc, don t be tempted by the...
    there are as many varieties of grass seed as you can imagine, if you want to fill in patches on a hard wearing lawn you mite go for a ryegrass mixture, which you can get in supermarkets as well as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. lazy-gardener

how wet is your lawn??

I spoke too soon about it being dry, last night it fell down all night, some of it was snow. Had a couple of inches of really heavy wet snow this morning, really has bent everything over, some...
    I spoke too soon about it being dry, last night it fell down all night, some of it was snow. Had a couple of inches of really heavy wet snow this morning, really has bent everything over, some are not going to recover, had some broken branches on shrubs.
    I spoke too soon about it being dry, last night it fell down all night, some of it was snow. Had a couple of inches of really heavy wet snow this morning, really has bent everything over, some are not going to recover, had some broken branches...
    I spoke too soon about it being dry, last night it fell down all night, some of it was snow. Had a couple of inches of really heavy wet snow this morning, really has bent everything over, some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. kosciosco

Feed and Weed Lawn - HELP!

its called hollow tine aeration, thats the technical term, lawn sand or a granular moss, weed feed appply ganules as the rain falls out of the sky!
    its called hollow tine aeration, thats the technical term, lawn sand or a granular moss, weed feed appply ganules as the rain falls out of the sky!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. daveyp

grass cutting time?

If you have a light-weight flymo type mower, you can do it sooner - I had to do it last week for one person, but I wouldn't use anything heavier, nad you have to have it relatively "un-squishy"...
    If you have a light-weight flymo type mower, you can do it sooner - I had to do it last week for one person, but I wouldn't use anything heavier, nad you have to have it relatively "un-squishy" underfoot! But, yes, it's frustrating! The grass IS growing, and by and large, we can't do anything...
    If you have a light-weight flymo type mower, you can do it sooner - I had to do it last week for one person, but I wouldn't use anything heavier, nad you have to have it relatively "un-squishy" underfoot! But, yes, it's frustrating! The grass...
    If you have a light-weight flymo type mower, you can do it sooner - I had to do it last week for one person, but I wouldn't use anything heavier, nad you have to have it relatively "un-squishy"...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice