1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. brown4s

growing new lawn over wood chippings

Laurel contains some cyanide, but it dissipates once the wood and leaves are dead. I regularly put laurel prunings through the shredder. The product has a strong almondy smell, which I think is...
    Laurel contains some cyanide, but it dissipates once the wood and leaves are dead. I regularly put laurel prunings through the shredder. The product has a strong almondy smell, which I think is the cyanide. Once it has been composted for a few weeks the smell goes, and it rots down normally. So,...
    Laurel contains some cyanide, but it dissipates once the wood and leaves are dead. I regularly put laurel prunings through the shredder. The product has a strong almondy smell, which I think is the cyanide. Once it has been composted for a few...
    Laurel contains some cyanide, but it dissipates once the wood and leaves are dead. I regularly put laurel prunings through the shredder. The product has a strong almondy smell, which I think is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. giw12

New house...big lawn!

Thanks both of you for the info on ALS. Looks useful
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. shiney

Grass Is Really Growing Now

Shiney: With such a large amount of grass cuttings, any tips on how to compost it quickly and neatly?
    Shiney: With such a large amount of grass cuttings, any tips on how to compost it quickly and neatly?
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. greeners

Bare patches / thin grass coverage

I used some 'shady area' seed from B&Q autumn 2006 to fill in a patch where a stump had been removed. The seed took ages to germinate. There was little to see after 2 weeks, but it did eventually...
    I used some 'shady area' seed from B&Q autumn 2006 to fill in a patch where a stump had been removed. The seed took ages to germinate. There was little to see after 2 weeks, but it did eventually come through quite well.
    I used some 'shady area' seed from B&Q autumn 2006 to fill in a patch where a stump had been removed. The seed took ages to germinate. There was little to see after 2 weeks, but it did eventually come through quite well.
    I used some 'shady area' seed from B&Q autumn 2006 to fill in a patch where a stump had been removed. The seed took ages to germinate. There was little to see after 2 weeks, but it did eventually...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Loofah

Lawn treatment

Loofah, how have you got on? We moved into our house in January and I'm now looking at sorting out our garden. I've cut the grass a couple times and the weeds and moss are rife.
    Loofah, how have you got on? We moved into our house in January and I'm now looking at sorting out our garden. I've cut the grass a couple times and the weeds and moss are rife.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. clueless1

Mini meadow lawn

Sounds like a cool job! I mow the paths about once a week (with a pushmower)in the growing season and scythe half down at the end of August (or early Sept if I'm being especially lazy ). I...
    Sounds like a cool job! I mow the paths about once a week (with a pushmower)in the growing season and scythe half down at the end of August (or early Sept if I'm being especially lazy ). I know all the received wisdom is cutting twice a year, but mine seems to be doing ok on only one cut a...
    Sounds like a cool job! I mow the paths about once a week (with a pushmower)in the growing season and scythe half down at the end of August (or early Sept if I'm being especially lazy ). I know all the received wisdom is cutting twice a year,...
    Sounds like a cool job! I mow the paths about once a week (with a pushmower)in the growing season and scythe half down at the end of August (or early Sept if I'm being especially lazy ). I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. MPLB

My lawn is a disaster

Agree, totally.
    Agree, totally.
    Agree, totally.
    Agree, totally.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. jimbobly

Lawn Problem

Urm sounds interesting - special squirrel spray?
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Rosiemongrel

Crime and Criminal

Ah Rosie the joys of a dog run along the hedge been there, done that although truth be told we haven't got one now (a homemade dog run by the girls that is)our BIG Lad use to do it and to be...
    Ah Rosie the joys of a dog run along the hedge been there, done that although truth be told we haven't got one now (a homemade dog run by the girls that is)our BIG Lad use to do it and to be honest I wouldn't mind having to put up with his little run if I could wish him back.Our two old...
    Ah Rosie the joys of a dog run along the hedge been there, done that although truth be told we haven't got one now (a homemade dog run by the girls that is)our BIG Lad use to do it and to be honest I wouldn't mind having to put up with his little...
    Ah Rosie the joys of a dog run along the hedge been there, done that although truth be told we haven't got one now (a homemade dog run by the girls that is)our BIG Lad use to do it and to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Bashy

Lawn help

Thanks guys. Yeah, the decking's looking great. A job I should really have done last year but kept putting it off. Well it's done now and the wife is pleased with it, and that's all that matters....
    Thanks guys. Yeah, the decking's looking great. A job I should really have done last year but kept putting it off. Well it's done now and the wife is pleased with it, and that's all that matters. It keeps her happy :)
    Thanks guys. Yeah, the decking's looking great. A job I should really have done last year but kept putting it off. Well it's done now and the wife is pleased with it, and that's all that matters. It keeps her happy :)
    Thanks guys. Yeah, the decking's looking great. A job I should really have done last year but kept putting it off. Well it's done now and the wife is pleased with it, and that's all that matters....
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. colint

Seed or lawn after moss removal ?

Lots... less preparation with seed and cheaper than using turf, will also match in better.
    Lots... less preparation with seed and cheaper than using turf, will also match in better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. trying hard

Ideas to protect my front grass

Pete, I agree. I live in a cul de sac and sometimes we can have as many as 6 or 7 vans and pickups taking up the limited parking spaces.
    Pete, I agree. I live in a cul de sac and sometimes we can have as many as 6 or 7 vans and pickups taking up the limited parking spaces.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. SJ

Lawns

I also do not use granulated weed and feed .Not only is it easy to overaply and scortch it is also expensive and as a trade user bulky to transport.For weeds I treat with spearhead ( the...
    I also do not use granulated weed and feed .Not only is it easy to overaply and scortch it is also expensive and as a trade user bulky to transport.For weeds I treat with spearhead ( the comercial equivelant of verdone)For green up regular sparys of ferrous sulphate and the ocasional...
    I also do not use granulated weed and feed .Not only is it easy to overaply and scortch it is also expensive and as a trade user bulky to transport.For weeds I treat with spearhead ( the comercial equivelant of verdone)For green up regular...
    I also do not use granulated weed and feed .Not only is it easy to overaply and scortch it is also expensive and as a trade user bulky to transport.For weeds I treat with spearhead ( the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. j9xdr7

weeds in lawn

Verdone
    Verdone
    Verdone
    Verdone
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. mztrouble

new turf

Id avoid walking on it for a few more weeks if poss, cut it when the weathers a bit dier on a high cut.Gradually lower your cutting heigh each time till you get to the height you normally cut at.
    Id avoid walking on it for a few more weeks if poss, cut it when the weathers a bit dier on a high cut.Gradually lower your cutting heigh each time till you get to the height you normally cut at.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. denpot

X-Post - Help, i've killed my lawn..

My father in law wanted to use general purpose weedkiller on the area around the bottom of the garden by the fence. He mixed it in a watering can at the outside tap (top of garden)then walked...
    My father in law wanted to use general purpose weedkiller on the area around the bottom of the garden by the fence. He mixed it in a watering can at the outside tap (top of garden)then walked across the lawn to the back fence. He never thought to see if the watering can was leaking, which it...
    My father in law wanted to use general purpose weedkiller on the area around the bottom of the garden by the fence. He mixed it in a watering can at the outside tap (top of garden)then walked across the lawn to the back fence. He never thought to...
    My father in law wanted to use general purpose weedkiller on the area around the bottom of the garden by the fence. He mixed it in a watering can at the outside tap (top of garden)then walked...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. denpot

Help, i killed my lawn..

You should have used a selective turf weedkiller like verdone.Scratch up the areas with a rake, then overseed. Stick a mix in a few handfulls of compost in with the seed so as to help it stick.
    You should have used a selective turf weedkiller like verdone.Scratch up the areas with a rake, then overseed. Stick a mix in a few handfulls of compost in with the seed so as to help it stick.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Loofah

Lawn seed

Dwarf ryegrass preferably. Be aware that some of the cheaper grass mixtures contain nothing more than two agricultural, late heading grazing grasses in pretty boxes.
    Dwarf ryegrass preferably. Be aware that some of the cheaper grass mixtures contain nothing more than two agricultural, late heading grazing grasses in pretty boxes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. bluey

Grass Seed & treatment for semi shaded lawn areas

I am also in the real world of horticulture! I'm 47 and have been doing my garden for 23yrs last 8 or 9 being totally tropical.
    I am also in the real world of horticulture! I'm 47 and have been doing my garden for 23yrs last 8 or 9 being totally tropical.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. intermiplants

the last cut?

inter, I might think about swapping at some time but don't hold your breathe :D . I don't feed, rake, scarify or weedkill any of my lawns. The lawn in the picture takes something less than 30...
    inter, I might think about swapping at some time but don't hold your breathe :D . I don't feed, rake, scarify or weedkill any of my lawns. The lawn in the picture takes something less than 30 minutes. Apart from two very small lawns that take more time getting the mower to them and then...
    inter, I might think about swapping at some time but don't hold your breathe :D . I don't feed, rake, scarify or weedkill any of my lawns. The lawn in the picture takes something less than 30 minutes. Apart from two very small lawns that...
    inter, I might think about swapping at some time but don't hold your breathe :D . I don't feed, rake, scarify or weedkill any of my lawns. The lawn in the picture takes something less than 30...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice