1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawns

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. slimzee

Aeriate my lawn when wet

So long as there isn't standing water, and your boots aren't squelching into the surface, I would have thought anytime, rain or shine, is good with a fork. If you were using a hollow-tined tool...
    So long as there isn't standing water, and your boots aren't squelching into the surface, I would have thought anytime, rain or shine, is good with a fork. If you were using a hollow-tined tool to aerate them then sticky soil, when wet, would probably be more inclined to clog it up
    So long as there isn't standing water, and your boots aren't squelching into the surface, I would have thought anytime, rain or shine, is good with a fork. If you were using a hollow-tined tool to aerate them then sticky soil, when wet, would...
    So long as there isn't standing water, and your boots aren't squelching into the surface, I would have thought anytime, rain or shine, is good with a fork. If you were using a hollow-tined tool...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Epsom Paul

Lawns on chalky soil

Who is laying the lawn? They can advise on the type, mostly it depends on how much shade the lawn gets - that might be the problem with the old one getting full of moss. The main thing with a new...
    Who is laying the lawn? They can advise on the type, mostly it depends on how much shade the lawn gets - that might be the problem with the old one getting full of moss. The main thing with a new turf lawn is to water it a lot, your chalky soil will dry out very quickly so you need to keep...
    Who is laying the lawn? They can advise on the type, mostly it depends on how much shade the lawn gets - that might be the problem with the old one getting full of moss. The main thing with a new turf lawn is to water it a lot, your chalky soil...
    Who is laying the lawn? They can advise on the type, mostly it depends on how much shade the lawn gets - that might be the problem with the old one getting full of moss. The main thing with a new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. r2oo

Boggy Lawn

Your idea may work, but not if the water table is high anyway. What I'd do is dig a small test hole and see if it fills with water. Doing a test hole over winter is a good time to see what...
    Your idea may work, but not if the water table is high anyway. What I'd do is dig a small test hole and see if it fills with water. Doing a test hole over winter is a good time to see what happens. If you have a high water table then a soak away won't really help, you will need to drain it off...
    Your idea may work, but not if the water table is high anyway. What I'd do is dig a small test hole and see if it fills with water. Doing a test hole over winter is a good time to see what happens. If you have a high water table then a soak away...
    Your idea may work, but not if the water table is high anyway. What I'd do is dig a small test hole and see if it fills with water. Doing a test hole over winter is a good time to see what...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. keithhampson

re-grassing fire damaged lawn area

you could turf that area .... and it can still be done now or you could wait till spring and seed the area what I have found in cases like these, is that the new grass planted in the area...
    you could turf that area .... and it can still be done now or you could wait till spring and seed the area what I have found in cases like these, is that the new grass planted in the area where the bonfire was, will be a lot greener than the rest of the grass (for a long time) .... i.e. you...
    you could turf that area .... and it can still be done now or you could wait till spring and seed the area what I have found in cases like these, is that the new grass planted in the area where the bonfire was, will be a lot greener than the...
    you could turf that area .... and it can still be done now or you could wait till spring and seed the area what I have found in cases like these, is that the new grass planted in the area...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. jakeyseven

bad lawn

use one of these after it has rained and the ground is soft: Spear and Jackson Garden Aerator - Elements Range - 4063NB# then add some Phostrogen slow release fertilizer granules: Bayer Garden ...
    use one of these after it has rained and the ground is soft: Spear and Jackson Garden Aerator - Elements Range - 4063NB# then add some Phostrogen slow release fertilizer granules: Bayer Garden alternatively, you can use scotts autumn lawn builder in a few weeks time, then use the phostrogen...
    use one of these after it has rained and the ground is soft: Spear and Jackson Garden Aerator - Elements Range - 4063NB# then add some Phostrogen slow release fertilizer granules: Bayer Garden alternatively, you can use scotts autumn lawn...
    use one of these after it has rained and the ground is soft: Spear and Jackson Garden Aerator - Elements Range - 4063NB# then add some Phostrogen slow release fertilizer granules: Bayer Garden ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. soots

lawn lawn

only way that you can sort the bald patches is to re-seed as you mentioned, and make sure that the seeds are covered with a thin layer of topsoil, and water once or twice a week if it does not...
    only way that you can sort the bald patches is to re-seed as you mentioned, and make sure that the seeds are covered with a thin layer of topsoil, and water once or twice a week if it does not rain also, don't mow too short yet (I would leave the grass to grow 3 inches tall before mowing,...
    only way that you can sort the bald patches is to re-seed as you mentioned, and make sure that the seeds are covered with a thin layer of topsoil, and water once or twice a week if it does not rain also, don't mow too short yet (I would leave...
    only way that you can sort the bald patches is to re-seed as you mentioned, and make sure that the seeds are covered with a thin layer of topsoil, and water once or twice a week if it does not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. d4gl15h

What is the best turf you can get ????

I am a newbie too I am afraid, but the best TURF would depend on what it is you wanted it for Kids playing on, crown green bowls, 18th hole on the course, family drying green, Can you chuck some...
    I am a newbie too I am afraid, but the best TURF would depend on what it is you wanted it for Kids playing on, crown green bowls, 18th hole on the course, family drying green, Can you chuck some more info on what you want out of it please Jack McHammocklashing
    I am a newbie too I am afraid, but the best TURF would depend on what it is you wanted it for Kids playing on, crown green bowls, 18th hole on the course, family drying green, Can you chuck some more info on what you want out of it please Jack...
    I am a newbie too I am afraid, but the best TURF would depend on what it is you wanted it for Kids playing on, crown green bowls, 18th hole on the course, family drying green, Can you chuck some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. RJFindlay

Receding grass

Hi RJHad a look at your link I think you captured everything.You have answered your own question , food and water is your main problem. most places it hasnt rained for at least 6 weeks as...
    Hi RJHad a look at your link I think you captured everything.You have answered your own question , food and water is your main problem. most places it hasnt rained for at least 6 weeks as well, plus using a rake to cut the lawn instead of a lawn mowere hasnt helped, you have probably...
    Hi RJHad a look at your link I think you captured everything.You have answered your own question , food and water is your main problem. most places it hasnt rained for at least 6 weeks as well, plus using a rake to cut the lawn instead...
    Hi RJHad a look at your link I think you captured everything.You have answered your own question , food and water is your main problem. most places it hasnt rained for at least 6 weeks as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. peacemakerukuk

Lumpy bumpy bald lawn

It would help if you could take a picture or two so we can see what we and you are dealing with. Sometimes it's difficult to guess at the answer otherwise.:)
    It would help if you could take a picture or two so we can see what we and you are dealing with. Sometimes it's difficult to guess at the answer otherwise.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. smoo

Shady lawn...wildflower lawn?

Look for woodland and woodland edge species.Campions spring to mind for one, and they are happy to share their space with grass, although being much taller than grass, it would be game over for...
    Look for woodland and woodland edge species.Campions spring to mind for one, and they are happy to share their space with grass, although being much taller than grass, it would be game over for them if you get the lawnmower out.There's a little blue flower that grows in the shady parts of my...
    Look for woodland and woodland edge species.Campions spring to mind for one, and they are happy to share their space with grass, although being much taller than grass, it would be game over for them if you get the lawnmower out.There's a...
    Look for woodland and woodland edge species.Campions spring to mind for one, and they are happy to share their space with grass, although being much taller than grass, it would be game over for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. clueless1

Sowing a new lawn

No I wouldn't do that, the grass will not benefit and may even get its young roots scorched.I like clover in the lawn, it's not everyones taste, but as you know it's roots convert nitrogen in...
    No I wouldn't do that, the grass will not benefit and may even get its young roots scorched.I like clover in the lawn, it's not everyones taste, but as you know it's roots convert nitrogen in air into a form that benefits grass, hence your lawn will be greener without needing to use...
    No I wouldn't do that, the grass will not benefit and may even get its young roots scorched.I like clover in the lawn, it's not everyones taste, but as you know it's roots convert nitrogen in air into a form that benefits grass, hence your...
    No I wouldn't do that, the grass will not benefit and may even get its young roots scorched.I like clover in the lawn, it's not everyones taste, but as you know it's roots convert nitrogen in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. woody

grass reinforcement

Not tried it on dogs, but it works with chickens, who I consider to cause a lot more damage, able to turn a lawn to a mud bath within a week or so. It allows the grass to grow through the gaps,...
    Not tried it on dogs, but it works with chickens, who I consider to cause a lot more damage, able to turn a lawn to a mud bath within a week or so. It allows the grass to grow through the gaps, but the root system remains unharmed from digging and scratching.
    Not tried it on dogs, but it works with chickens, who I consider to cause a lot more damage, able to turn a lawn to a mud bath within a week or so. It allows the grass to grow through the gaps, but the root system remains unharmed from digging...
    Not tried it on dogs, but it works with chickens, who I consider to cause a lot more damage, able to turn a lawn to a mud bath within a week or so. It allows the grass to grow through the gaps,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. HarryG1

What can be the cost of new lawn?

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but turf normally costs between £2 and £3 per sq metre. Then you have the labour of preparing the ground which depends on what is there already and how...
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but turf normally costs between £2 and £3 per sq metre. Then you have the labour of preparing the ground which depends on what is there already and how much levelling is necessary.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but turf normally costs between £2 and £3 per sq metre. Then you have the labour of preparing the ground which depends on what is there already and how much levelling is necessary.
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but turf normally costs between £2 and £3 per sq metre. Then you have the labour of preparing the ground which depends on what is there already and how...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Griff100

Turf replacement

You can patch areas with turf. I did a complete run down the border of both my gardens as I was sick of moss re-appearing each year despite getting the proper treatment. It cured the problem and...
    You can patch areas with turf. I did a complete run down the border of both my gardens as I was sick of moss re-appearing each year despite getting the proper treatment. It cured the problem and after four weeks you couldn't tell where it was laid. This isn't always the cae as sometimes the...
    You can patch areas with turf. I did a complete run down the border of both my gardens as I was sick of moss re-appearing each year despite getting the proper treatment. It cured the problem and after four weeks you couldn't tell where it was...
    You can patch areas with turf. I did a complete run down the border of both my gardens as I was sick of moss re-appearing each year despite getting the proper treatment. It cured the problem and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. stephatj

something on with my new turf

Without seeing it it's difficult to say but it's usually a sign of the opposite, i.e the lawn requires more water.Is there anything different about the half of the lawn with colouring? Was all...
    Without seeing it it's difficult to say but it's usually a sign of the opposite, i.e the lawn requires more water.Is there anything different about the half of the lawn with colouring? Was all the ground prepared in the same manner? Is there a tree or any plant which could be taking moisture?
    Without seeing it it's difficult to say but it's usually a sign of the opposite, i.e the lawn requires more water.Is there anything different about the half of the lawn with colouring? Was all the ground prepared in the same manner? Is there...
    Without seeing it it's difficult to say but it's usually a sign of the opposite, i.e the lawn requires more water.Is there anything different about the half of the lawn with colouring? Was all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. raymond-s

Long coarse grass (weed?) in lawn.

Hi RaymondAre you sure it's a grass? Check out this thread, just in case it's the dreaded horsestailAssuming it is a grass, however, your best bet is to keep the lawn mown short (but...
    Hi RaymondAre you sure it's a grass? Check out this thread, just in case it's the dreaded horsestailAssuming it is a grass, however, your best bet is to keep the lawn mown short (but not too short in hot dry weather) to stop it seeding and to dig out the worst clumps by hand....
    Hi RaymondAre you sure it's a grass? Check out this thread, just in case it's the dreaded horsestailAssuming it is a grass, however, your best bet is to keep the lawn mown short (but not too short in hot dry weather) to stop it seeding...
    Hi RaymondAre you sure it's a grass? Check out this thread, just in case it's the dreaded horsestailAssuming it is a grass, however, your best bet is to keep the lawn mown short (but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. hannahm2010

Reseeded bare patches - now they look different!

Hi HannahYou could just wait until next season to see how the different grasses merge with each other over time.But if the new patches look really out of place and are bothering you, I'd...
    Hi HannahYou could just wait until next season to see how the different grasses merge with each other over time.But if the new patches look really out of place and are bothering you, I'd advise digging them out and replacing them with turf (assuming the patches aren't huge). A roll of...
    Hi HannahYou could just wait until next season to see how the different grasses merge with each other over time.But if the new patches look really out of place and are bothering you, I'd advise digging them out and replacing them with...
    Hi HannahYou could just wait until next season to see how the different grasses merge with each other over time.But if the new patches look really out of place and are bothering you, I'd...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Azza3100

Plan for putting new lawn down after previous tenants

Hi AzzaI sympathise with your problem - you've been left with a right mess.But.....you're going to hate this.....I think you ought to get rid of all that sand. I know, I know, it'll be a...
    Hi AzzaI sympathise with your problem - you've been left with a right mess.But.....you're going to hate this.....I think you ought to get rid of all that sand. I know, I know, it'll be a lot of work but I doubt your neglected soil is so rich that it could stand being mixed with so much...
    Hi AzzaI sympathise with your problem - you've been left with a right mess.But.....you're going to hate this.....I think you ought to get rid of all that sand. I know, I know, it'll be a lot of work but I doubt your neglected soil is so...
    Hi AzzaI sympathise with your problem - you've been left with a right mess.But.....you're going to hate this.....I think you ought to get rid of all that sand. I know, I know, it'll be a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mspotty

Replacing pea shingle with turf advice

Hi mspottyIn order to grow well, turf needs about 150 - 200mm of reasonable soil below it. It'll grow in less depth but will brown off in the summer much quicker.Remove as many stones...
    Hi mspottyIn order to grow well, turf needs about 150 - 200mm of reasonable soil below it. It'll grow in less depth but will brown off in the summer much quicker.Remove as many stones (about the size of a walnut and bigger) as you can. Trying to remove every last one is pointless...
    Hi mspottyIn order to grow well, turf needs about 150 - 200mm of reasonable soil below it. It'll grow in less depth but will brown off in the summer much quicker.Remove as many stones (about the size of a walnut and bigger) as you can. ...
    Hi mspottyIn order to grow well, turf needs about 150 - 200mm of reasonable soil below it. It'll grow in less depth but will brown off in the summer much quicker.Remove as many stones...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Omega

Starting the lawn again, but need to get rid of weeds first

Most weedkillers are inert in the soil Omega. They only act on green foliage. Read the labels and see what they say.
    Most weedkillers are inert in the soil Omega. They only act on green foliage. Read the labels and see what they say.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice