1. Photo Competition
    MAY'S PHOTO COMPETITION IS OPEN!

The theme this month is "Made it through the winter" so get your best falsetto voices ready and show us what has been Stayin' Alive

Please Click Here!

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message
  1. RDM0801

Laying Turf on New Build Top Soil...

I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel...
    I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel trenches for peace of mind) then that's what I'll do!To me, the topsoil just looks like soil with a few...
    I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel trenches for peace of mind) then that's what I'll...
    I'm not keen on applying anything to the soil I don't need to - added expense! If I can get away with just preparing the existing soil and laying the turf (with a couple of lengths of gravel...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Eric Lai

Can anyone help me to save my Cherry Laurel

Thanks a lot
    Thanks a lot
    Thanks a lot
    Thanks a lot
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Joe Bore

New Garden Advice!

Welcome to the forum @Joe Bore it's nice to see you have an interest in gardening, surprisingly not a lot of people do, i can tell you this from experience, if you enjoy it, however you start it's...
    Welcome to the forum @Joe Bore it's nice to see you have an interest in gardening, surprisingly not a lot of people do, i can tell you this from experience, if you enjoy it, however you start it's always a work in progress and there's always a lot of defining factors in that but you'll get the...
    Welcome to the forum @Joe Bore it's nice to see you have an interest in gardening, surprisingly not a lot of people do, i can tell you this from experience, if you enjoy it, however you start it's always a work in progress and there's always a...
    Welcome to the forum @Joe Bore it's nice to see you have an interest in gardening, surprisingly not a lot of people do, i can tell you this from experience, if you enjoy it, however you start it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. New2Gardening

Need help to identifying this fern and any hints/tips

If it was mine I'd cut off all the old fronds (being very careful not to cut the emerging shoots). I did this on all my ferns back in late March - both deciduous (Drypoteris cristata) and...
    If it was mine I'd cut off all the old fronds (being very careful not to cut the emerging shoots). I did this on all my ferns back in late March - both deciduous (Drypoteris cristata) and evergreen (Polystichum polyblepharum) and both have come up a treat, looking really lush and perky.
    If it was mine I'd cut off all the old fronds (being very careful not to cut the emerging shoots). I did this on all my ferns back in late March - both deciduous (Drypoteris cristata) and evergreen (Polystichum polyblepharum) and both have come...
    If it was mine I'd cut off all the old fronds (being very careful not to cut the emerging shoots). I did this on all my ferns back in late March - both deciduous (Drypoteris cristata) and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Bugachug

Agapanthus query

Hi I grow several agapanthus,If me I would dig up and put in a pot and give it some tlc in a warm spot in the garden or greenhouse it should re sprout ... it does look like the top gas been...
    Hi I grow several agapanthus,If me I would dig up and put in a pot and give it some tlc in a warm spot in the garden or greenhouse it should re sprout ... it does look like the top gas been cut or the new shoot has been snapped off by accident.I did have a dahlia once that grew no leaves...
    Hi I grow several agapanthus,If me I would dig up and put in a pot and give it some tlc in a warm spot in the garden or greenhouse it should re sprout ... it does look like the top gas been cut or the new shoot has been snapped off by...
    Hi I grow several agapanthus,If me I would dig up and put in a pot and give it some tlc in a warm spot in the garden or greenhouse it should re sprout ... it does look like the top gas been...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. steevjp

Where to start

Thanks for all the replies everyone, certainly some food for thought there. I hope to get some times to get involved with some of this over the coming month and we'll see where we can get
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, certainly some food for thought there. I hope to get some times to get involved with some of this over the coming month and we'll see where we can get
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Stu66

What plant is this?

Mine are more 'spanish looking' however they do have scent and have white varients amongst them which I like very much
    Mine are more 'spanish looking' however they do have scent and have white varients amongst them which I like very much
    20220423_191135[1964].jpg DSC_0051.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Lady Fanny

Is it ok to leave the lids open on my coldframe/small greenhouse

Thanks for all your replies. It's pretty much what I've been doing anyway but I've never been sure how hardy the plants I've ordered really are and how much protection I should be giving them. ...
    Thanks for all your replies. It's pretty much what I've been doing anyway but I've never been sure how hardy the plants I've ordered really are and how much protection I should be giving them. I generally plant them out into their final pots in May after I'm sure the night frosts have gone. ...
    Thanks for all your replies. It's pretty much what I've been doing anyway but I've never been sure how hardy the plants I've ordered really are and how much protection I should be giving them. I generally plant them out into their final pots...
    Thanks for all your replies. It's pretty much what I've been doing anyway but I've never been sure how hardy the plants I've ordered really are and how much protection I should be giving them. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Dean (Bucks)

Red Robin Photinia

Thank you Guys. I do think I'll probably have to replace them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. doubleudee

Chilli seedlngs or not?

Amazon reveals all....................
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Zangoose

Advice

Welcome to the forum.Something suggests to me that they may have come from a cosy glass hour and not been hardened off first. These chilly winds and cool nights aren't easy for newly planteds. ...
    Welcome to the forum.Something suggests to me that they may have come from a cosy glass hour and not been hardened off first. These chilly winds and cool nights aren't easy for newly planteds. With water and a bit of encouraging chat , they will get through it, Jenny namaste
    Welcome to the forum.Something suggests to me that they may have come from a cosy glass hour and not been hardened off first. These chilly winds and cool nights aren't easy for newly planteds. With water and a bit of encouraging chat , they...
    Welcome to the forum.Something suggests to me that they may have come from a cosy glass hour and not been hardened off first. These chilly winds and cool nights aren't easy for newly planteds. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. New2Gardening

Looking for advice/tips on Acers

Welcome to the forum. I love Acers. I planted one at the back end of the year. I saw it on the cover of a catalogue. "Taylor", my surname, so I just had to have it. Though rather small it survived...
    Welcome to the forum. I love Acers. I planted one at the back end of the year. I saw it on the cover of a catalogue. "Taylor", my surname, so I just had to have it. Though rather small it survived the winter. It is a very delicate looking thing. I planted another Acer a few weeks back. They were...
    Welcome to the forum. I love Acers. I planted one at the back end of the year. I saw it on the cover of a catalogue. "Taylor", my surname, so I just had to have it. Though rather small it survived the winter. It is a very delicate looking...
    Welcome to the forum. I love Acers. I planted one at the back end of the year. I saw it on the cover of a catalogue. "Taylor", my surname, so I just had to have it. Though rather small it survived...
    IMG_1062.jpg IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1061.jpg IMG_1060.jpg IMG_1059.jpg IMG_1058.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Fuzzybear888

Skimmia rubella flowers turning white

thanks. They look better just buds lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. hi2u_uk

what do plants grown in

thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is goingIve found the geotextile membrane...
    thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is goingIve found the geotextile membrane but would a woven one or non woven one be best to put on top of the rubble before putting soil down :gaah:
    thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is goingIve found the geotextile membrane but would a woven one or non woven one be best to...
    thanks im just going to hire 2 labourers and pay them daily at the end of the day. I will be buying everything else myself so i know where the money is goingIve found the geotextile membrane...
    20220412_152118.jpg 20220415_140337.jpg 20220412_152118.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Manny Genetics

Clemson's spineless Okra seedlings look sick

Thanks for your reply ☺️
    Thanks for your reply ☺️
    Thanks for your reply ☺️
    Thanks for your reply ☺️
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Ivo

Recently moved fatsia - is it dead, dying or napping?

Thanks @pete and @NigelJ - really appreciate all your advice. I'll try to just leave it alone for a while now and hope for the best. Really useful to understand this could take months before any...
    Thanks @pete and @NigelJ - really appreciate all your advice. I'll try to just leave it alone for a while now and hope for the best. Really useful to understand this could take months before any visible improvement.
    Thanks @pete and @NigelJ - really appreciate all your advice. I'll try to just leave it alone for a while now and hope for the best. Really useful to understand this could take months before any visible improvement.
    Thanks @pete and @NigelJ - really appreciate all your advice. I'll try to just leave it alone for a while now and hope for the best. Really useful to understand this could take months before any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. OneGreenFinger

First Time Lawn Care

I always use a liquid weedkiller. I have a watering can for that very purpose and a spray bar. There is no point in watering now as until things start growing, as Ricky says, it won't do much...
    I always use a liquid weedkiller. I have a watering can for that very purpose and a spray bar. There is no point in watering now as until things start growing, as Ricky says, it won't do much good. Come May you can start to weed kill and fertilise.
    I always use a liquid weedkiller. I have a watering can for that very purpose and a spray bar. There is no point in watering now as until things start growing, as Ricky says, it won't do much good. Come May you can start to weed kill and...
    I always use a liquid weedkiller. I have a watering can for that very purpose and a spray bar. There is no point in watering now as until things start growing, as Ricky says, it won't do much...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. raymond-s

Plant/ shrub recommendations please.

Thanks for the suggestions and now that I have names I can do some research then go visit the garden centre. I Have a Dobies and a Klondyke Strikes nearby.It is a Pyracantha to the right of the...
    Thanks for the suggestions and now that I have names I can do some research then go visit the garden centre. I Have a Dobies and a Klondyke Strikes nearby.It is a Pyracantha to the right of the cherry tree i think. (white flowers followed by red berries)We did like the cherry tree but...
    Thanks for the suggestions and now that I have names I can do some research then go visit the garden centre. I Have a Dobies and a Klondyke Strikes nearby.It is a Pyracantha to the right of the cherry tree i think. (white flowers followed by...
    Thanks for the suggestions and now that I have names I can do some research then go visit the garden centre. I Have a Dobies and a Klondyke Strikes nearby.It is a Pyracantha to the right of the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Lindsey244

Just planted a Photinia hedge

@pete Thank you for the reply. I will take your advice :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. SparkintheDark

Help with Fuchsia

The leaves on one of the snipped bits have all wilted, but the others are fine. :noidea:
    The leaves on one of the snipped bits have all wilted, but the others are fine. :noidea:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice