NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. lowrider69

winter pansies & violas

yea the petunias were really nice but its a lot of deadheading all the time lol,any winter flowers that are yearly blooms?
    yea the petunias were really nice but its a lot of deadheading all the time lol,any winter flowers that are yearly blooms?
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. David Kearley

Noob looking for a new plant :)

Thanks, all noted.
    Thanks, all noted.
    Thanks, all noted.
    Thanks, all noted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Pixel1982

Perennials

Please do, I love garden progress updates, especially when it's a pollinator-friendly garden! :blue thumb:Nick
    Please do, I love garden progress updates, especially when it's a pollinator-friendly garden! :blue thumb:Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Curo2002

Struggling beginner

Looking at your image the problem is clayey soil, to solve this you need to be adding an organic humus soil conditioner plus horticultural girt, or concreting sand, this helps to break it...
    Looking at your image the problem is clayey soil, to solve this you need to be adding an organic humus soil conditioner plus horticultural girt, or concreting sand, this helps to break it down.When your soil is clayey, most people think by forking and adding some sand will cure the problem are...
    Looking at your image the problem is clayey soil, to solve this you need to be adding an organic humus soil conditioner plus horticultural girt, or concreting sand, this helps to break it down.When your soil is clayey, most people think by...
    Looking at your image the problem is clayey soil, to solve this you need to be adding an organic humus soil conditioner plus horticultural girt, or concreting sand, this helps to break it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SianA

New Clematis : what do I do to it next.?

Will sead head tomorrow thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Mitch66

Strawberries in greenhouse

Thanks for the advice, Ok I will do that, I just wondered if they would survive frosts etc. they are in the greenhouse, they are in small 3 inch pots at the moment, would you suggest re-potting...
    Thanks for the advice, Ok I will do that, I just wondered if they would survive frosts etc. they are in the greenhouse, they are in small 3 inch pots at the moment, would you suggest re-potting to larger pots then just keep them moist
    Thanks for the advice, Ok I will do that, I just wondered if they would survive frosts etc. they are in the greenhouse, they are in small 3 inch pots at the moment, would you suggest re-potting to larger pots then just keep them moist
    Thanks for the advice, Ok I will do that, I just wondered if they would survive frosts etc. they are in the greenhouse, they are in small 3 inch pots at the moment, would you suggest re-potting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Lowey

Noob Gardener - Lawn Repair

Hi @Ali Naqvi , your lawn is in need of some tlc I can see quite a bit of coarse grass in it which is upto you if it bothers you are not .1. No scarifying or dethatching at the moment this job...
    Hi @Ali Naqvi , your lawn is in need of some tlc I can see quite a bit of coarse grass in it which is upto you if it bothers you are not .1. No scarifying or dethatching at the moment this job is done Spring or September / October , it will do to much damage to the lawn at this time of...
    Hi @Ali Naqvi , your lawn is in need of some tlc I can see quite a bit of coarse grass in it which is upto you if it bothers you are not .1. No scarifying or dethatching at the moment this job is done Spring or September / October , it will do...
    Hi @Ali Naqvi , your lawn is in need of some tlc I can see quite a bit of coarse grass in it which is upto you if it bothers you are not .1. No scarifying or dethatching at the moment this job...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Eltel

Acer sick.

Sorry not got back before wasn't sure how to navigate the pages. Thanks for the reply yes the tree is in the sun for at least half a day and is about 7 years of age maybe a little older. Your...
    Sorry not got back before wasn't sure how to navigate the pages. Thanks for the reply yes the tree is in the sun for at least half a day and is about 7 years of age maybe a little older. Your answer does make sense as we get a lot of rain here in Yorkshire
    Sorry not got back before wasn't sure how to navigate the pages. Thanks for the reply yes the tree is in the sun for at least half a day and is about 7 years of age maybe a little older. Your answer does make sense as we get a lot of rain here...
    Sorry not got back before wasn't sure how to navigate the pages. Thanks for the reply yes the tree is in the sun for at least half a day and is about 7 years of age maybe a little older. Your...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. 24Jude

Peony Bare Root

Thanks for your reply, whats the best to plant them in as I dont have a garden as such, planters & pots. Do they need to be left soaked in water for a few hours?
    Thanks for your reply, whats the best to plant them in as I dont have a garden as such, planters & pots. Do they need to be left soaked in water for a few hours?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. lowrider69

Clematis Plant Advise please

Cant remember what Clematis this is but it never flowers or very rarely get some little buds and a couple of tiny red flowers quite hard to see, anyone know which Clematis this is or why it never...
    Cant remember what Clematis this is but it never flowers or very rarely get some little buds and a couple of tiny red flowers quite hard to see, anyone know which Clematis this is or why it never flowers? . .
    Cant remember what Clematis this is but it never flowers or very rarely get some little buds and a couple of tiny red flowers quite hard to see, anyone know which Clematis this is or why it never flowers? . .
    Cant remember what Clematis this is but it never flowers or very rarely get some little buds and a couple of tiny red flowers quite hard to see, anyone know which Clematis this is or why it never...
    20210720_114155.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. T_i_m

Plant for electronics project recommendation please.

Hi,There are several types, but that probably is the Fibrous rooted type vs the Corms/Tubers, plus there are uprights and trailers and smaller bedding types etc.Yours looks very healthy so...
    Hi,There are several types, but that probably is the Fibrous rooted type vs the Corms/Tubers, plus there are uprights and trailers and smaller bedding types etc.Yours looks very healthy so hard to say what caused it rot off like that, could be over watering or some disease ?? As said we...
    Hi,There are several types, but that probably is the Fibrous rooted type vs the Corms/Tubers, plus there are uprights and trailers and smaller bedding types etc.Yours looks very healthy so hard to say what caused it rot off like that, could...
    Hi,There are several types, but that probably is the Fibrous rooted type vs the Corms/Tubers, plus there are uprights and trailers and smaller bedding types etc.Yours looks very healthy so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. tommymcg

Topiary lollipops

I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe...
    I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe topiary that has been carried out on the box?, the plant will have been quite large. To me the pot it...
    I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe topiary that has been carried out on the box?, the...
    I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. BrianA

Staking Saplings

My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good root hold.If you cut it back in spring for the first couple of years it will become more stable...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good root hold.If you cut it back in spring for the...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Dave1967

Newbie propagation

Hi,A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil. How to take rose cuttingsThey might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved...
    Hi,A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil. How to take rose cuttingsThey might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved around and repotted as you have to do with a propagator.Placing cuttings into a propagator this...
    Hi,A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil. How to take rose cuttingsThey might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved around and repotted as you have to do with a...
    Hi,A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil. How to take rose cuttingsThey might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. wren1

Pruning Hebes

Ah, thanks. I'd misunderstood what you meant there. I thought you meant to only cut the green bit of the stem when pruning, not as far as the brown bit. I see what you mean now!
    Ah, thanks. I'd misunderstood what you meant there. I thought you meant to only cut the green bit of the stem when pruning, not as far as the brown bit. I see what you mean now!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Joksi

Is my Kimko Clematis dying?

Seem more like the outer skin
    upload_2021-7-9_14-13-38.jpeg upload_2021-7-9_14-14-8.jpeg upload_2021-7-9_14-15-57.jpeg 3BF8C026-3D5C-45F9-A395-5952FB3B6D98.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. ScotchCorner

It's a pandemic in the garden! Snails and slugs

Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble for earthworms if too many are spread! Many websites are still going on about metaldehyde poisoning...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble for earthworms if too many are spread! Many...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Dais72

Plants for small pots

Thanks for the tip:). Don't seem to have them in local hardware store. Maybe try garden centre next time I'm down that way.
    Thanks for the tip:). Don't seem to have them in local hardware store. Maybe try garden centre next time I'm down that way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. portoman

Attack of the Lawn Toadstools!

Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sue1965

New plant given any ideas what it could be about 7ft tall

Ficus robusta, the common Rubber plant which is a house plant and can only be kept outside in the summer months, unless you are in the Mediterranean.
    Ficus robusta, the common Rubber plant which is a house plant and can only be kept outside in the summer months, unless you are in the Mediterranean.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice