Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. learningardener

packira aquatica/money tree info no signs of growth??

Because of the climate where I live (Algarve), mine grows in a pot outside and has for years. Even here it drops it's leaves in Winter (and we don't have frost). Then it slowly grows it's...
    Because of the climate where I live (Algarve), mine grows in a pot outside and has for years. Even here it drops it's leaves in Winter (and we don't have frost). Then it slowly grows it's leaves. Perhaps it is the same with indoor growing? I don't know of anyone else here who has one to help...
    Because of the climate where I live (Algarve), mine grows in a pot outside and has for years. Even here it drops it's leaves in Winter (and we don't have frost). Then it slowly grows it's leaves. Perhaps it is the same with indoor growing? I...
    Because of the climate where I live (Algarve), mine grows in a pot outside and has for years. Even here it drops it's leaves in Winter (and we don't have frost). Then it slowly grows it's...
    Pachira 18 Jun.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Nicola123

Zero experience and have a really basic question about soil

Thanks so much. I’ve planted up now so I’ll post a photo soon. This forum has been so helpful and supportive. Xx
    Thanks so much. I’ve planted up now so I’ll post a photo soon. This forum has been so helpful and supportive. Xx
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Guy Greening

Whats the big obsession with Monstera Philodendron

It's not a hybrid, it's just not named correctly. You have either a monstera Or a philodendron. I love my houseplants, monsteras especially and I'd love to have a variegated monstera deliciosa or...
    It's not a hybrid, it's just not named correctly. You have either a monstera Or a philodendron. I love my houseplants, monsteras especially and I'd love to have a variegated monstera deliciosa or if I had endless money... The magnificent obliquaBack to the original point, the cutting would be...
    It's not a hybrid, it's just not named correctly. You have either a monstera Or a philodendron. I love my houseplants, monsteras especially and I'd love to have a variegated monstera deliciosa or if I had endless money... The magnificent...
    It's not a hybrid, it's just not named correctly. You have either a monstera Or a philodendron. I love my houseplants, monsteras especially and I'd love to have a variegated monstera deliciosa or...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Victoria Mitchell

Ceanothus help please

Yes, that's the one. Must be one of the very few occasions when a gardening-related product is cheaper here than there :biggrin: Or it would be if it wasn't for the new customs rules!
    Yes, that's the one. Must be one of the very few occasions when a gardening-related product is cheaper here than there :biggrin: Or it would be if it wasn't for the new customs rules!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. nilayshrugged

Sitting in an English garden / Waiting for the sun

Hi, that Acer is beautiful! And perfectly healthy. It looks like Acer palmatum Atropurpureum and the new leaves do droop. You should get fantastic autumn colour from it, too :)
    Hi, that Acer is beautiful! And perfectly healthy. It looks like Acer palmatum Atropurpureum and the new leaves do droop. You should get fantastic autumn colour from it, too :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. xf8u39

Japanese Maple

BINGO! Check this out. I left the zip lock bag in the fridge for a total of 3 months, took it out and two weeks later, on my south facing window sill a couple have germinated. It's a bit...
    BINGO! Check this out. I left the zip lock bag in the fridge for a total of 3 months, took it out and two weeks later, on my south facing window sill a couple have germinated. It's a bit difficult to see from the image but one is about 1" tall and the other about 2.Now, what do I do? Shall I...
    BINGO! Check this out. I left the zip lock bag in the fridge for a total of 3 months, took it out and two weeks later, on my south facing window sill a couple have germinated. It's a bit difficult to see from the image but one is about 1" tall...
    BINGO! Check this out. I left the zip lock bag in the fridge for a total of 3 months, took it out and two weeks later, on my south facing window sill a couple have germinated. It's a bit...
    IMG_0691.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. SandyNI
    Like x 10

Spot the mistake!

As suspected, the Chionodoxa have been and gone.... and now the tulips have popped out. Still stunning though!
    As suspected, the Chionodoxa have been and gone.... and now the tulips have popped out. Still stunning though!
    tulips.jpg Chiastophyllum Oppositifolium (1).JPG tulips.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. learningardener

Packira/money tree plant advice and care..

Thanks alot for info!! Im fetching some advice s well from those who gave one as well..its a very nice plant indeed
    Thanks alot for info!! Im fetching some advice s well from those who gave one as well..its a very nice plant indeed
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. pauli535

Advice on a Magnolia please

Thank you for your help. I wanted an evergreen Magnolia which is why I bought this one. On balance I think I will try Mister Q advice and leave it for a while to see how it grows. I have put the...
    Thank you for your help. I wanted an evergreen Magnolia which is why I bought this one. On balance I think I will try Mister Q advice and leave it for a while to see how it grows. I have put the most upright branches on a stake so fingers crossed it trains it a bit. Thanks again guys.
    Thank you for your help. I wanted an evergreen Magnolia which is why I bought this one. On balance I think I will try Mister Q advice and leave it for a while to see how it grows. I have put the most upright branches on a stake so fingers crossed...
    Thank you for your help. I wanted an evergreen Magnolia which is why I bought this one. On balance I think I will try Mister Q advice and leave it for a while to see how it grows. I have put the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. learningardener

Self watering pots! Any advice pls??

The system I have is really simple, just a reservoir at the bottom with a wick, the plants draw up water as they need so there isn't a mechanism to go wrong. It would only suit plants that like...
    The system I have is really simple, just a reservoir at the bottom with a wick, the plants draw up water as they need so there isn't a mechanism to go wrong. It would only suit plants that like being kept on the wet side. So slower growing plants could well suffer with root problems.What plant...
    The system I have is really simple, just a reservoir at the bottom with a wick, the plants draw up water as they need so there isn't a mechanism to go wrong. It would only suit plants that like being kept on the wet side. So slower growing plants...
    The system I have is really simple, just a reservoir at the bottom with a wick, the plants draw up water as they need so there isn't a mechanism to go wrong. It would only suit plants that like...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. sandhun

Growing from seed - advice please

Well, I've tried a different approach this year - which has so far been quite successful.Every morning I look at the surface of the compost - if it is dry - which is usually is - I use a sprayer...
    Well, I've tried a different approach this year - which has so far been quite successful.Every morning I look at the surface of the compost - if it is dry - which is usually is - I use a sprayer on the surface of the compost - to avoid disturbing the seedlings. Not much water, just enough to...
    Well, I've tried a different approach this year - which has so far been quite successful.Every morning I look at the surface of the compost - if it is dry - which is usually is - I use a sprayer on the surface of the compost - to avoid...
    Well, I've tried a different approach this year - which has so far been quite successful.Every morning I look at the surface of the compost - if it is dry - which is usually is - I use a sprayer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. PeterWestYorkshire

Help something seems to be slowly killing everything

Thanks Pete, I'll clear the ground around the bottom, its at the road end of our garden so historifcally Ive always just left whatever leaves fell in place and this is a second refence Ive...
    Thanks Pete, I'll clear the ground around the bottom, its at the road end of our garden so historifcally Ive always just left whatever leaves fell in place and this is a second refence Ive hadabout old leaves (I read that I shoudl burn them but that wont go down well with anyone I dont think!)...
    Thanks Pete, I'll clear the ground around the bottom, its at the road end of our garden so historifcally Ive always just left whatever leaves fell in place and this is a second refence Ive hadabout old leaves (I read that I shoudl burn them but...
    Thanks Pete, I'll clear the ground around the bottom, its at the road end of our garden so historifcally Ive always just left whatever leaves fell in place and this is a second refence Ive...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Lee Hughes

Wilted Acer

its the worse on line UK company I am not surprised now you have told us ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Lee Hughes

Can I chop it off!!

Ok thank you for your replys :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. jimi worrall

Help identify plant and tree

Hello! Perhaps the leaves mixed in with the bluebells is grass? You'll know if and when it 'flowers'. I'd guess that the tree is an old, badly-pruned apple.
    Hello! Perhaps the leaves mixed in with the bluebells is grass? You'll know if and when it 'flowers'. I'd guess that the tree is an old, badly-pruned apple.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Caecius

Windy Balcony in Tower Block – What to Grow?

Your situation and vision sound amazing. :)The upright plants in the photo seem to be bamboo. I have no experience with them at all. The search function on the site will probably bring up useful...
    Your situation and vision sound amazing. :)The upright plants in the photo seem to be bamboo. I have no experience with them at all. The search function on the site will probably bring up useful topics regarding suitable bamboos for containers. There are so many people with hands-on experience...
    Your situation and vision sound amazing. :)The upright plants in the photo seem to be bamboo. I have no experience with them at all. The search function on the site will probably bring up useful topics regarding suitable bamboos for containers....
    Your situation and vision sound amazing. :)The upright plants in the photo seem to be bamboo. I have no experience with them at all. The search function on the site will probably bring up useful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. SandyNI

Which to pinch and which to leave

Thank you @Purple Streaks
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. learningardener

Camellias suspect i over watered

Feeding time is best in very late Summer, when buds are forming... EPSOM SALTS in a weak solution is very effective and economical.
    Feeding time is best in very late Summer, when buds are forming... EPSOM SALTS in a weak solution is very effective and economical.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Lucya2108

Perennial plant suggestions

How about a four o'clock flower? They are bushy, fast growing and really nice to look at.Mirabilis jalapa - WikipediaOnly downside is, you need to dig them up for winter because they are not...
    How about a four o'clock flower? They are bushy, fast growing and really nice to look at.Mirabilis jalapa - WikipediaOnly downside is, you need to dig them up for winter because they are not completely resistant to cold weather.
    How about a four o'clock flower? They are bushy, fast growing and really nice to look at.Mirabilis jalapa - WikipediaOnly downside is, you need to dig them up for winter because they are not completely resistant to cold weather.
    How about a four o'clock flower? They are bushy, fast growing and really nice to look at.Mirabilis jalapa - WikipediaOnly downside is, you need to dig them up for winter because they are not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. learningardener

Fertilizing too much

I think you will find @learningardener is in Malta.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice