Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. T_i_m

Plant for electronics project recommendation please.

Hi,There are several types, but that probably is the Fibrous rooted type vs the Corms/Tubers, plus there are uprights and trailers and smaller bedding types etc.Yours looks very healthy so...
    Hi,There are several types, but that probably is the Fibrous rooted type vs the Corms/Tubers, plus there are uprights and trailers and smaller bedding types etc.Yours looks very healthy so hard to say what caused it rot off like that, could be over watering or some disease ?? As said we...
    Hi,There are several types, but that probably is the Fibrous rooted type vs the Corms/Tubers, plus there are uprights and trailers and smaller bedding types etc.Yours looks very healthy so hard to say what caused it rot off like that, could...
    Hi,There are several types, but that probably is the Fibrous rooted type vs the Corms/Tubers, plus there are uprights and trailers and smaller bedding types etc.Yours looks very healthy so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. tommymcg

Topiary lollipops

I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe...
    I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe topiary that has been carried out on the box?, the plant will have been quite large. To me the pot it...
    I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe topiary that has been carried out on the box?, the...
    I am afraid I agree with JWK. Scratch a little bit of the main stem. If it is still green then you have a chance but I doubt the leaves will return to being green. Prior to the fairly severe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. BrianA

Staking Saplings

My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good root hold.If you cut it back in spring for the first couple of years it will become more stable...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good root hold.If you cut it back in spring for the...
    My usual approach to Eucalyptus is to cut it back, because I want to keep it smaller and cant cope with a large tree. But I believe this is also good practice when it comes to establishing a good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Dave1967

Newbie propagation

Hi,A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil. How to take rose cuttingsThey might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved...
    Hi,A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil. How to take rose cuttingsThey might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved around and repotted as you have to do with a propagator.Placing cuttings into a propagator this...
    Hi,A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil. How to take rose cuttingsThey might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved around and repotted as you have to do with a...
    Hi,A more common method for Roses and Laurel is to put the cuttings straight into garden soil. How to take rose cuttingsThey might take a bit longer to root, but they will not need to be moved...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wren1

Pruning Hebes

Ah, thanks. I'd misunderstood what you meant there. I thought you meant to only cut the green bit of the stem when pruning, not as far as the brown bit. I see what you mean now!
    Ah, thanks. I'd misunderstood what you meant there. I thought you meant to only cut the green bit of the stem when pruning, not as far as the brown bit. I see what you mean now!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Joksi

Is my Kimko Clematis dying?

Seem more like the outer skin
    upload_2021-7-9_14-13-38.jpeg upload_2021-7-9_14-14-8.jpeg upload_2021-7-9_14-15-57.jpeg 3BF8C026-3D5C-45F9-A395-5952FB3B6D98.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. ScotchCorner

It's a pandemic in the garden! Snails and slugs

Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble for earthworms if too many are spread! Many websites are still going on about metaldehyde poisoning...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble for earthworms if too many are spread! Many...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Dais72

Plants for small pots

Thanks for the tip:). Don't seem to have them in local hardware store. Maybe try garden centre next time I'm down that way.
    Thanks for the tip:). Don't seem to have them in local hardware store. Maybe try garden centre next time I'm down that way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. portoman

Attack of the Lawn Toadstools!

Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Sue1965

New plant given any ideas what it could be about 7ft tall

Ficus robusta, the common Rubber plant which is a house plant and can only be kept outside in the summer months, unless you are in the Mediterranean.
    Ficus robusta, the common Rubber plant which is a house plant and can only be kept outside in the summer months, unless you are in the Mediterranean.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. EmFlu

New Gardener - Overwhelmed! (Photos)

Hello EmFlu, welcome to GC. I'm an old gardener and trust me, we never stop learning and facing 'interesting' challenges :-) Don't panic, and don't be discouraged. Plants need light, warmth, ...
    Hello EmFlu, welcome to GC. I'm an old gardener and trust me, we never stop learning and facing 'interesting' challenges :-) Don't panic, and don't be discouraged. Plants need light, warmth, air, water and food just like humans, but in the right quantities. A lot of plants for sale have been...
    Hello EmFlu, welcome to GC. I'm an old gardener and trust me, we never stop learning and facing 'interesting' challenges :-) Don't panic, and don't be discouraged. Plants need light, warmth, air, water and food just like humans, but in the...
    Hello EmFlu, welcome to GC. I'm an old gardener and trust me, we never stop learning and facing 'interesting' challenges :-) Don't panic, and don't be discouraged. Plants need light, warmth, ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. gooseygoo
    Like x 3

Not a great start

Hi John. Thanks again. I have decided not to have a lawn in the new garden, but this means that I can get on with planting stuff straight away, which is really exciting! Best, Rob
    Hi John. Thanks again. I have decided not to have a lawn in the new garden, but this means that I can get on with planting stuff straight away, which is really exciting! Best, Rob
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. portoman

Straggly Conifers - any ideas?

Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them,...
    Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them, avoiding piling soil or mulch around the trunk itself. When you water them, trickle water slowly into the...
    Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them, avoiding piling soil or mulch around the trunk itself. ...
    Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. lowrider69
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Adam1303

Predominently Clematis garden project!

That's just the start! You wait until you stop going on holiday in summer because you might miss something.....;) :biggrin:
    That's just the start! You wait until you stop going on holiday in summer because you might miss something.....;) :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. xxxDawnxxx

Climbing plant/shrub for partial shaded

Thanks black dog I’m currently trying to rid my garden of ivy growing across the ground, hate the stuff. But I’ll look into your other suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to reply
    Thanks black dog I’m currently trying to rid my garden of ivy growing across the ground, hate the stuff. But I’ll look into your other suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to reply
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. lowrider69

DIY houseplant potting mix

Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot...
    Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot weather or they can dry out too fast !Much better if you can say what plants you are growing and what...
    Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot weather or they can dry out too fast !Much better if...
    Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jo Williams

Amelanchia. Prince William

We planted our Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" for the exact purpose of being eaten by birds. They ARE edible for humans as well and you can make jam out of them, but for us they serve as a kind of...
    We planted our Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" for the exact purpose of being eaten by birds. They ARE edible for humans as well and you can make jam out of them, but for us they serve as a kind of decoy to keep the birds busy and away from our more precious plants.
    We planted our Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" for the exact purpose of being eaten by birds. They ARE edible for humans as well and you can make jam out of them, but for us they serve as a kind of decoy to keep the birds busy and away from our...
    We planted our Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" for the exact purpose of being eaten by birds. They ARE edible for humans as well and you can make jam out of them, but for us they serve as a kind of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mbbx5va2

Azalea japonica not growing right

I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants...
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants seem pretty dormant and easy to move in the winter.
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants seem pretty dormant and easy to move in the winter.
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. GaGa73

General advice for new gardener

Hello again, I have a question about the new topsoil I put in our veg patch, it has only been a couple weeks since I had it delivered and it is already full of weeds, is this normal? I assumed...
    Hello again, I have a question about the new topsoil I put in our veg patch, it has only been a couple weeks since I had it delivered and it is already full of weeds, is this normal? I assumed there wouldn't be anything growing until I'd planted stuff, the sub soil was well prepared and free of...
    Hello again, I have a question about the new topsoil I put in our veg patch, it has only been a couple weeks since I had it delivered and it is already full of weeds, is this normal? I assumed there wouldn't be anything growing until I'd planted...
    Hello again, I have a question about the new topsoil I put in our veg patch, it has only been a couple weeks since I had it delivered and it is already full of weeds, is this normal? I assumed...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice