1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. BillyG

Complete Newbie - where to start

I know its no help :) but the journey starts with "but a single step" :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sunflower50

Uneven and overgrown garden advice needed

If choosing the curvy bark path route and using cheap timber edgings such as slats from pallets, making vertical saw cuts on the inside face of the curve will really help them bend.
    If choosing the curvy bark path route and using cheap timber edgings such as slats from pallets, making vertical saw cuts on the inside face of the curve will really help them bend.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Clueless76

Help designing new garden...please!!

Make a thread of your progress in the garden project section. I'm sure all of us will be keen to see it take shape.
    Make a thread of your progress in the garden project section. I'm sure all of us will be keen to see it take shape.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Deeks

Advice on a small and unruly garden

Fair enough! "A weed is a plant in the wrong place" :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Treguard

Newbie to gardening

Thinking .. I would want a deposit on my house plus plant's for £300..:whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. butchpt6

A brand new garden... Help needed

Aye, get the spade. Nowt like a bit of hard work in the sunshine to make you feel good.
    Aye, get the spade. Nowt like a bit of hard work in the sunshine to make you feel good.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Rhea Babla

Gardening Newbie

Welcome to GC :sign0016: As they are in containers, have you changed the compost/re-potted them or even fed them at any point? It looks (to my highly untrained and novice eye) that the compost is a...
    Welcome to GC :sign0016: As they are in containers, have you changed the compost/re-potted them or even fed them at any point? It looks (to my highly untrained and novice eye) that the compost is a little mouldy and compacted. Might be worth while re-potting them and giving them a good feed - but...
    Welcome to GC :sign0016: As they are in containers, have you changed the compost/re-potted them or even fed them at any point? It looks (to my highly untrained and novice eye) that the compost is a little mouldy and compacted. Might be worth while...
    Welcome to GC :sign0016: As they are in containers, have you changed the compost/re-potted them or even fed them at any point? It looks (to my highly untrained and novice eye) that the compost is a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Sydney Carton

Seriously overgrown area of garden

Thanks, Madahhlia. Yes, on the basis on what you have all advised, I think a plain lawn is the best idea, so that's what I'll go for. Cheers.
    Thanks, Madahhlia. Yes, on the basis on what you have all advised, I think a plain lawn is the best idea, so that's what I'll go for. Cheers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. sumbody

Help for a neighbour please

You are absolutely right Clueless - checked the bottle and it's called Resolva not Roundup :doh: S
    You are absolutely right Clueless - checked the bottle and it's called Resolva not Roundup :doh: S
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. geriali

New House - inherited a lovely garden - need help! part 1 for photos

Thank you so much Silver surfer! they seem to be the right match:blue thumb: I will take a close up of the 3rd one but it does really look like a Cytisus scoparius Lena, Its a tree around 5ft, well it seems...
    Thank you so much Silver surfer! they seem to be the right match:blue thumb: I will take a close up of the 3rd one but it does really look like a Cytisus scoparius Lena, Its a tree around 5ft, well it seems 'like' a tree but could be a shrub! will get back to you
    Thank you so much Silver surfer! they seem to be the right match:blue thumb: I will take a close up of the 3rd one but it does really look like a Cytisus scoparius Lena, Its a tree around 5ft, well it seems 'like' a tree but could be a shrub! will get back...
    Thank you so much Silver surfer! they seem to be the right match:blue thumb: I will take a close up of the 3rd one but it does really look like a Cytisus scoparius Lena, Its a tree around 5ft, well it seems...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. geriali

New House - inherited a lovely garden - need help! part 2 for photos

Again, thank you very much for all your help. So helpful to know the names of all the plants now. Makes me feel like our new garden is really ours! :autlvs:
    Again, thank you very much for all your help. So helpful to know the names of all the plants now. Makes me feel like our new garden is really ours! :autlvs:
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. ColinD67

New to everything !!!

cheers guys for the feedback, much appreciated :) friendly bunch you gardening lot !! thanks again
    cheers guys for the feedback, much appreciated :) friendly bunch you gardening lot !! thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Diwrnach

Really need some advice please :)

On the contrary, my understanding was that it is safe to compost dead weeds after treating them with Roundup because it doesn't persist (unlike Aminopyralid and Clopyralid) I asked because I...
    On the contrary, my understanding was that it is safe to compost dead weeds after treating them with Roundup because it doesn't persist (unlike Aminopyralid and Clopyralid) I asked because I thought you might have a different reason - e.g. seeds on the (killed) weeds, or parts of roots, that...
    On the contrary, my understanding was that it is safe to compost dead weeds after treating them with Roundup because it doesn't persist (unlike Aminopyralid and Clopyralid) I asked because I thought you might have a different reason - e.g....
    On the contrary, my understanding was that it is safe to compost dead weeds after treating them with Roundup because it doesn't persist (unlike Aminopyralid and Clopyralid) I asked because I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Patricia2k

New to gardening

What variety of tomatoes are they? In any case, I don't think I'd be worried yet. Its still only June (just), and in my limited experience toms aren't ready til at least late summer.
    What variety of tomatoes are they? In any case, I don't think I'd be worried yet. Its still only June (just), and in my limited experience toms aren't ready til at least late summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. keen-to-learn

Hi! I'm new and keen to learn! Shady area help

Wow thanks for all the ideas! I really like the Rhodo idea and will look into the other ideas too, love the coloured pots at different heights to create interest! I repainted the fence last...
    Wow thanks for all the ideas! I really like the Rhodo idea and will look into the other ideas too, love the coloured pots at different heights to create interest! I repainted the fence last weekend in a chalky white and it looks a lot brighter, I've got 2 weeks off coming up and it's my birthday...
    Wow thanks for all the ideas! I really like the Rhodo idea and will look into the other ideas too, love the coloured pots at different heights to create interest! I repainted the fence last weekend in a chalky white and it looks a lot brighter,...
    Wow thanks for all the ideas! I really like the Rhodo idea and will look into the other ideas too, love the coloured pots at different heights to create interest! I repainted the fence last...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Matthew Perrett

Kinda newbie garden help

:sign0016:Matthew you've done a good job on the pond! Keep persevering and in time the rest will fall into place!
    :sign0016:Matthew you've done a good job on the pond! Keep persevering and in time the rest will fall into place!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gaz Eaves

New to gardening

The evergreens list should have my favourite trio on it. Rosemary, Sage and Thyme:)
    The evergreens list should have my favourite trio on it. Rosemary, Sage and Thyme:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Newbiegareth

Starting from scratch

It's looking good.....I think. The picture's upside down! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. SarahT

Advice please

Clueless, Thankfully we've got enough lawn out the front for footie or other games. Hubby is joking about floodlights, well pretty certain he is!It's going to be a slow process but I think...
    Clueless, Thankfully we've got enough lawn out the front for footie or other games. Hubby is joking about floodlights, well pretty certain he is!It's going to be a slow process but I think gardens are always are a work in progress.
    Clueless, Thankfully we've got enough lawn out the front for footie or other games. Hubby is joking about floodlights, well pretty certain he is!It's going to be a slow process but I think gardens are always are a work in progress.
    Clueless, Thankfully we've got enough lawn out the front for footie or other games. Hubby is joking about floodlights, well pretty certain he is!It's going to be a slow process but I think...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. WozzaB84

New member, new Garden!

I can recommend a good book on the subject. I've got this one:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice