1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Charlottes_Web

Are my tomato plants salvageable..?

Suggest you obtain some Epsom salts (£3 per 1 KG at Boots) Unscented is best. Add 1 teaspoon (5gms) to 1 litre of water, apply prior to feeding. This is magnesium sulphate which can correct...
    Suggest you obtain some Epsom salts (£3 per 1 KG at Boots) Unscented is best. Add 1 teaspoon (5gms) to 1 litre of water, apply prior to feeding. This is magnesium sulphate which can correct magnesium deficiency symptoms of which your plant is suggesting. One application should be adequate, but...
    Suggest you obtain some Epsom salts (£3 per 1 KG at Boots) Unscented is best. Add 1 teaspoon (5gms) to 1 litre of water, apply prior to feeding. This is magnesium sulphate which can correct magnesium deficiency symptoms of which your plant is...
    Suggest you obtain some Epsom salts (£3 per 1 KG at Boots) Unscented is best. Add 1 teaspoon (5gms) to 1 litre of water, apply prior to feeding. This is magnesium sulphate which can correct...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Barders

Cranesbill - clearing old stems please?

Brilliant @ricky101, thank you. I will clear them tomorrow, chop them up and add them to the new compost heap, they might act as ‘brown’ compost, which I need anyway.Thank you again
    Brilliant @ricky101, thank you. I will clear them tomorrow, chop them up and add them to the new compost heap, they might act as ‘brown’ compost, which I need anyway.Thank you again
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. GaGa73

What spray is best to use on tomato and cucumber plants?

That's great news, thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Danny30

Lawn and Climbers Advice

Here are the best three photos of couch that I can find on the 'net. If that's what it looks like, you could keep mowing it, but it will make a beeline for the borders.If it's not too...
    Here are the best three photos of couch that I can find on the 'net. If that's what it looks like, you could keep mowing it, but it will make a beeline for the borders.If it's not too widespread, you could try lifting a long length by inserting a sharp spade under it and stuff the stem into...
    Here are the best three photos of couch that I can find on the 'net. If that's what it looks like, you could keep mowing it, but it will make a beeline for the borders.If it's not too widespread, you could try lifting a long length by...
    Here are the best three photos of couch that I can find on the 'net. If that's what it looks like, you could keep mowing it, but it will make a beeline for the borders.If it's not too...
    IMG_20230503_183543529_HDR.jpg IMG_20230503_183538362.jpg IMG_20230503_183533524.jpg IMG_20230501_180916768.jpg IMG_20230501_180913648.jpg IMG_20230501_180906799.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. GaGa73

How far aprt should I plant these?

Hello again,I'm returning to this thread for further advice please.I planted out a few of the toms and cucumbers and kept the rest in the conservatory, here are some...
    Hello again,I'm returning to this thread for further advice please.I planted out a few of the toms and cucumbers and kept the rest in the conservatory, here are some pics:As you can see the inside plants have done a lot better than the outside ones but now the...
    Hello again,I'm returning to this thread for further advice please.I planted out a few of the toms and cucumbers and kept the rest in the conservatory, here are some pics:As you can see the inside plants have done...
    Hello again,I'm returning to this thread for further advice please.I planted out a few of the toms and cucumbers and kept the rest in the conservatory, here are some...
    PXL_20230521_111255622.jpg PXL_20230521_111259663.jpg PXL_20230521_111308069.jpg 1.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Ellie H

No clue where to start

Thank you, we get a lot of bees and butterflies so I am keen to keep these. I know the plants they like so can just replant these when I dig all the weeks out. Thank you for your suggestions for...
    Thank you, we get a lot of bees and butterflies so I am keen to keep these. I know the plants they like so can just replant these when I dig all the weeks out. Thank you for your suggestions for what to plant. I'm looking forward to getting started now :)
    Thank you, we get a lot of bees and butterflies so I am keen to keep these. I know the plants they like so can just replant these when I dig all the weeks out. Thank you for your suggestions for what to plant. I'm looking forward to getting...
    Thank you, we get a lot of bees and butterflies so I am keen to keep these. I know the plants they like so can just replant these when I dig all the weeks out. Thank you for your suggestions for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wanoennogs

What to get

Welcome to GC wanoennogs. :)I think perhaps it would be a good idea to work through your list first and establish what we should suggest.Many plants are just one colour. Would your mum be...
    Welcome to GC wanoennogs. :)I think perhaps it would be a good idea to work through your list first and establish what we should suggest.Many plants are just one colour. Would your mum be happy with mixing the same plant together in different colours? Or does she want different species...
    Welcome to GC wanoennogs. :)I think perhaps it would be a good idea to work through your list first and establish what we should suggest.Many plants are just one colour. Would your mum be happy with mixing the same plant together in different...
    Welcome to GC wanoennogs. :)I think perhaps it would be a good idea to work through your list first and establish what we should suggest.Many plants are just one colour. Would your mum be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Danny30

Plants For New Garden

Agree with Infradig, probably everything will be all right and the plant roots and worms will work their way through the different soils.The only issue would be if the planting holes were very...
    Agree with Infradig, probably everything will be all right and the plant roots and worms will work their way through the different soils.The only issue would be if the planting holes were very small and the clay soil around undug. Even then most plants should be ok. (I have that situation in...
    Agree with Infradig, probably everything will be all right and the plant roots and worms will work their way through the different soils.The only issue would be if the planting holes were very small and the clay soil around undug. Even then...
    Agree with Infradig, probably everything will be all right and the plant roots and worms will work their way through the different soils.The only issue would be if the planting holes were very...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. collinsc

Trough advice!

HiMy wife has decided what flowers she would like!She wants wildflowers - she likes the differing colours and varying heights around the side and back fence and we will go for a border.and...
    HiMy wife has decided what flowers she would like!She wants wildflowers - she likes the differing colours and varying heights around the side and back fence and we will go for a border.and then perhaps some more hardy evergreens next to the garage; perhaps in a planter.
    HiMy wife has decided what flowers she would like!She wants wildflowers - she likes the differing colours and varying heights around the side and back fence and we will go for a border.and then perhaps some more hardy evergreens next to the...
    HiMy wife has decided what flowers she would like!She wants wildflowers - she likes the differing colours and varying heights around the side and back fence and we will go for a border.and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Mitch66

Aloe Vera from seed

yeh, just annoyed, I wanted Aloe vera plants, nevermind I`ll get some from elsewhere, I will still see what they produce if anything
    yeh, just annoyed, I wanted Aloe vera plants, nevermind I`ll get some from elsewhere, I will still see what they produce if anything
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. GaGa73

Mould on lavender soil

Notice today that our main Asda store had nice looking 6 packs of garden ready Lavenders for just £5.
    Notice today that our main Asda store had nice looking 6 packs of garden ready Lavenders for just £5.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. GaGa73

Bonsai questions

Good afternoon @GaGa73'RULE OF THUMB' FOR SIZING UP YOUR BONSAI POT The basic principles for estimating your ideal pot size is relative to your bonsai tree, making it really easy to calculate....
    Good afternoon @GaGa73'RULE OF THUMB' FOR SIZING UP YOUR BONSAI POT The basic principles for estimating your ideal pot size is relative to your bonsai tree, making it really easy to calculate. The length of the pot is determined by the bonsai's height, the depth of the pot is determined by...
    Good afternoon @GaGa73'RULE OF THUMB' FOR SIZING UP YOUR BONSAI POT The basic principles for estimating your ideal pot size is relative to your bonsai tree, making it really easy to calculate. The length of the pot is determined by the...
    Good afternoon @GaGa73'RULE OF THUMB' FOR SIZING UP YOUR BONSAI POT The basic principles for estimating your ideal pot size is relative to your bonsai tree, making it really easy to calculate....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. James Sheffield

Snake Plant Soil

We might be :-) It's the Sansevieria Trifasciata if that makes any difference. Would that change the type of soil you use?
    We might be :-) It's the Sansevieria Trifasciata if that makes any difference. Would that change the type of soil you use?
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Niall

What weed is this?

I love dandelions.
    I love dandelions.
    I love dandelions.
    I love dandelions.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Drozich

Complete Novice - advice on weeds

Definitely sycamore seeds, they also root into decking and shed roof's, they get everywhere.
    Definitely sycamore seeds, they also root into decking and shed roof's, they get everywhere.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sue Sharples

Is my grevillia dead

Or maybe the temperatures were that bit lower nearer the ground. :dunno:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gn0me

Was I supposed to prune this plant before this year's new growth?

A hydrangea. Chop the old blooms off now and all will be well :)I should really go and do mine too :doh:
    A hydrangea. Chop the old blooms off now and all will be well :)I should really go and do mine too :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Victoria1981

Is this dying...what could I do to save it?! Thanks!

Unfortunately I've lost 3 about the same size plus 2 much bigger ones. As pete says there is a good chance they will throw out a new shoot from the roots. I'm waiting till mid summer before...
    Unfortunately I've lost 3 about the same size plus 2 much bigger ones. As pete says there is a good chance they will throw out a new shoot from the roots. I'm waiting till mid summer before deciding to cut it down.
    Unfortunately I've lost 3 about the same size plus 2 much bigger ones. As pete says there is a good chance they will throw out a new shoot from the roots. I'm waiting till mid summer before deciding to cut it down.
    Unfortunately I've lost 3 about the same size plus 2 much bigger ones. As pete says there is a good chance they will throw out a new shoot from the roots. I'm waiting till mid summer before...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Weedstoo

Wood chippings?

That's good.There's a growing number of scientists worrying about the health of the world of fungi. When people talk about biodiversity they are usually concerned with plants and animals, but...
    That's good.There's a growing number of scientists worrying about the health of the world of fungi. When people talk about biodiversity they are usually concerned with plants and animals, but there's a growing realisation that both groups depend heavily on a third, often overlooked group, the...
    That's good.There's a growing number of scientists worrying about the health of the world of fungi. When people talk about biodiversity they are usually concerned with plants and animals, but there's a growing realisation that both groups...
    That's good.There's a growing number of scientists worrying about the health of the world of fungi. When people talk about biodiversity they are usually concerned with plants and animals, but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Danny30

Puddling on Borders

We are on heavy clay (clay is excellent feed for plants) and in the early days accepted that there would be some puddling. Regular composting each year has been they way we went except for the...
    We are on heavy clay (clay is excellent feed for plants) and in the early days accepted that there would be some puddling. Regular composting each year has been they way we went except for the veg plot. With the veg plot it needed more drastic action to stop the veg getting flooded and we were...
    We are on heavy clay (clay is excellent feed for plants) and in the early days accepted that there would be some puddling. Regular composting each year has been they way we went except for the veg plot. With the veg plot it needed more drastic...
    We are on heavy clay (clay is excellent feed for plants) and in the early days accepted that there would be some puddling. Regular composting each year has been they way we went except for the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice