1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. DanDrage
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. hom

What to do?

Hello hom and welcome to GC. Your spiky-leaved plant is a palm tree. Probably Trachycarpus, which is fairly hardy in the UK, but he's not a happy bunny judging by the photo. I'll leave it to...
    Hello hom and welcome to GC. Your spiky-leaved plant is a palm tree. Probably Trachycarpus, which is fairly hardy in the UK, but he's not a happy bunny judging by the photo. I'll leave it to @Kristen to advise on his care! The second photo is Bergenia, or Elephant's Ears. They'd appreciate...
    Hello hom and welcome to GC. Your spiky-leaved plant is a palm tree. Probably Trachycarpus, which is fairly hardy in the UK, but he's not a happy bunny judging by the photo. I'll leave it to @Kristen to advise on his care! The second photo is...
    Hello hom and welcome to GC. Your spiky-leaved plant is a palm tree. Probably Trachycarpus, which is fairly hardy in the UK, but he's not a happy bunny judging by the photo. I'll leave it to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Anthony321

Need to correctly prepare garden to lay a new lawn

A good topsoil is what you need Anthony or a mix of that and compost. I bought Levingtons multi purpose compost last year that I used for mulching, it's quite a chunky mix and not as fine as you...
    A good topsoil is what you need Anthony or a mix of that and compost. I bought Levingtons multi purpose compost last year that I used for mulching, it's quite a chunky mix and not as fine as you would use for potting but would be ideal for under a lawn. :)
    A good topsoil is what you need Anthony or a mix of that and compost. I bought Levingtons multi purpose compost last year that I used for mulching, it's quite a chunky mix and not as fine as you would use for potting but would be ideal for under...
    A good topsoil is what you need Anthony or a mix of that and compost. I bought Levingtons multi purpose compost last year that I used for mulching, it's quite a chunky mix and not as fine as you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. failedcomic

Bulbs vs plug plants

As Pete and Spruce say above . I plant a few spring bulbs , mainly daffs , crocus and tulips - nothing very earth shattering ! For summer I do like a few trailing begonias , dahlias and cannas ...
    As Pete and Spruce say above . I plant a few spring bulbs , mainly daffs , crocus and tulips - nothing very earth shattering ! For summer I do like a few trailing begonias , dahlias and cannas from tubers corms or rhizomes ,whatever they are called . The rest are annuals from seed and bought...
    As Pete and Spruce say above . I plant a few spring bulbs , mainly daffs , crocus and tulips - nothing very earth shattering ! For summer I do like a few trailing begonias , dahlias and cannas from tubers corms or rhizomes ,whatever they are...
    As Pete and Spruce say above . I plant a few spring bulbs , mainly daffs , crocus and tulips - nothing very earth shattering ! For summer I do like a few trailing begonias , dahlias and cannas ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Eva Natty

Bed with varying light conditions - how to use shaded area

Oh dear! Thank you for the heads up! Yeah I suppose it's not really the best forest etiquette... :whistle:
    Oh dear! Thank you for the heads up! Yeah I suppose it's not really the best forest etiquette... :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Ted W Buckley

New Gardener Advice

Welcome to GC Ted:dbgrtmb:... Sarocococca is a nice evergreen shrub,small insignificant white flowers in the winter but the scent is amazing:thumbsup:
    Welcome to GC Ted:dbgrtmb:... Sarocococca is a nice evergreen shrub,small insignificant white flowers in the winter but the scent is amazing:thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Hairy Gardener

Problem with Geranium

I heard something similar with Yogurt?
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Phil1

Looking for Inspiration...

Agreed. Perhaps maybe dividing up the bare patch into terraces so the paths go from right to left rather than just straight up the to of garden.
    Agreed. Perhaps maybe dividing up the bare patch into terraces so the paths go from right to left rather than just straight up the to of garden.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Anthony321

Need to correctly prepare garden to lay a new lawn

Looks good, hope we get some pics of it's development as Sheal suggested.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Star Jasmine

Ideas for small patch at front of house

so pleased , I am confident you wont be disappointed so easy to grow and you can harvest the seed later in the year and resow in the spring
    so pleased , I am confident you wont be disappointed so easy to grow and you can harvest the seed later in the year and resow in the spring
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Grant1992

Trying to repair my grass

If its still that chilly, I'd hold off for now on any thoughts of over seeding, and probably also delay most other action until the grass is ready to start putting on new growth again.Grass...
    If its still that chilly, I'd hold off for now on any thoughts of over seeding, and probably also delay most other action until the grass is ready to start putting on new growth again.Grass seeds needs a temp of around 10 degrees C to germinate, so if you sow while its still averaging 4...
    If its still that chilly, I'd hold off for now on any thoughts of over seeding, and probably also delay most other action until the grass is ready to start putting on new growth again.Grass seeds needs a temp of around 10 degrees C to...
    If its still that chilly, I'd hold off for now on any thoughts of over seeding, and probably also delay most other action until the grass is ready to start putting on new growth again.Grass...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. dessie oconnor

Moss issue in lawn

Hi dessie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:My grass took a beating last year and through the winter (and wasn't all that great to begin with if truth be told), so I am pretty much going through the same...
    Hi dessie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:My grass took a beating last year and through the winter (and wasn't all that great to begin with if truth be told), so I am pretty much going through the same process you are.I treated myself to one of these wee fellows which seems to be that bit better at...
    Hi dessie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:My grass took a beating last year and through the winter (and wasn't all that great to begin with if truth be told), so I am pretty much going through the same process you are.I treated myself to one of these...
    Hi dessie, and welcome to GC :sign0016:My grass took a beating last year and through the winter (and wasn't all that great to begin with if truth be told), so I am pretty much going through the same...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jon20D

Garden - Need help!

Welcome to GC Jon:dbgrtmb:...You could go for the 'easier' option by having slightly raised borders,this would then involve less digging ,you'll need to add plenty of organic matter to get some goodness...
    Welcome to GC Jon:dbgrtmb:...You could go for the 'easier' option by having slightly raised borders,this would then involve less digging ,you'll need to add plenty of organic matter to get some goodness back into the soil but it would make lighter work than trying to remove all the builders rubble:phew:The...
    Welcome to GC Jon:dbgrtmb:...You could go for the 'easier' option by having slightly raised borders,this would then involve less digging ,you'll need to add plenty of organic matter to get some goodness back into the soil but it would make lighter work...
    Welcome to GC Jon:dbgrtmb:...You could go for the 'easier' option by having slightly raised borders,this would then involve less digging ,you'll need to add plenty of organic matter to get some goodness...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Noushynoo

Cuttings from last summer

These definitely have roots. I only repotted those that developed roots in to their own pots.The yew in the background has not developed roots. Itsodd that it lives still. I also did box hedge...
    These definitely have roots. I only repotted those that developed roots in to their own pots.The yew in the background has not developed roots. Itsodd that it lives still. I also did box hedge cuttings, months passed with no sign of roots. and I too had to chuck them away.
    These definitely have roots. I only repotted those that developed roots in to their own pots.The yew in the background has not developed roots. Itsodd that it lives still. I also did box hedge cuttings, months passed with no sign of roots. and...
    These definitely have roots. I only repotted those that developed roots in to their own pots.The yew in the background has not developed roots. Itsodd that it lives still. I also did box hedge...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Islandgirl

Rhododendron issue-wont flower

How big are they and how long since you planted them? If they've not been in too long, you might get away with digging them up, shaking off some of the soil from the roots, and replanting in acid...
    How big are they and how long since you planted them? If they've not been in too long, you might get away with digging them up, shaking off some of the soil from the roots, and replanting in acid soil. Are they in containers or open ground?
    How big are they and how long since you planted them? If they've not been in too long, you might get away with digging them up, shaking off some of the soil from the roots, and replanting in acid soil. Are they in containers or open ground?
    How big are they and how long since you planted them? If they've not been in too long, you might get away with digging them up, shaking off some of the soil from the roots, and replanting in acid...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Paul Sanderson

Moving Sycamore

Thanks!!Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Paul Sanderson

Helping to prevent transplant shock...

Cheers for the advice guys...Will try the bonemeal tomorrow These saplings do have a habit of finding themselves EVERYWHERE... Just not where I want them! Thankfully I have no neighbours to wind...
    Cheers for the advice guys...Will try the bonemeal tomorrow These saplings do have a habit of finding themselves EVERYWHERE... Just not where I want them! Thankfully I have no neighbours to wind up by the aerial bombardment of seeds!!Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Cheers for the advice guys...Will try the bonemeal tomorrow These saplings do have a habit of finding themselves EVERYWHERE... Just not where I want them! Thankfully I have no neighbours to wind up by the aerial bombardment of seeds!!Sent from...
    Cheers for the advice guys...Will try the bonemeal tomorrow These saplings do have a habit of finding themselves EVERYWHERE... Just not where I want them! Thankfully I have no neighbours to wind...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Grant1992

Pieris Forest Flame problem

Keen to see how this progresses as mine is doing just the same right now! Fingers crossed for you...Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Keen to see how this progresses as mine is doing just the same right now! Fingers crossed for you...Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Grant1992

Azalea dying?

Ha everything is fine im just a newbie wanting to learn anyway
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. "M"

How best to "move" plants at this time of year?

Nice one 'Mum' :fingers crossed: for the move:thumbsup:...Good luck:dbgrtmb:The larger shrubs and trees I would start watering now as Armandii says ,the Day lilies can be potted up and kept watered and I'd definitely try striking...
    Nice one 'Mum' :fingers crossed: for the move:thumbsup:...Good luck:dbgrtmb:The larger shrubs and trees I would start watering now as Armandii says ,the Day lilies can be potted up and kept watered and I'd definitely try striking a few cuttings ...With time being in short supply the watering is the main job for now until nearer...
    Nice one 'Mum' :fingers crossed: for the move:thumbsup:...Good luck:dbgrtmb:The larger shrubs and trees I would start watering now as Armandii says ,the Day lilies can be potted up and kept watered and I'd definitely try striking a few cuttings ...With time being in short supply...
    Nice one 'Mum' :fingers crossed: for the move:thumbsup:...Good luck:dbgrtmb:The larger shrubs and trees I would start watering now as Armandii says ,the Day lilies can be potted up and kept watered and I'd definitely try striking...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice