1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies ↓ Views
Last Message
  1. NorthantsGeezer

Help/ideas needed for pet tribute

:biggrin: No @Sheal , I have just had the whole house done recently. I do have an iron shaped mark in the lounge though. I missed the ironing board :sad:
    :biggrin: No @Sheal , I have just had the whole house done recently. I do have an iron shaped mark in the lounge though. I missed the ironing board :sad:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. DannyB

Desperately in of need help choosing plants for garden border

Just be aware with Lady's Mantle, that if you let it, it will seed everywhere! I have only ever bought one plant!
    Just be aware with Lady's Mantle, that if you let it, it will seed everywhere! I have only ever bought one plant!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. latimer

Topping up large container

Wow, thank you @flounder, that’s a very comprehensive collection! Have your Phyllostachys varieties in the ground remained well behaved or are you always on the alert to keep them under control?
    Wow, thank you @flounder, that’s a very comprehensive collection! Have your Phyllostachys varieties in the ground remained well behaved or are you always on the alert to keep them under control?
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. newgardner

Weak/Messy Cordyline Australis - HELP!

Hi @newgardner I have to Pieris starting to go a flaming red they stunning besides when they have the pearl drops on them :)I have two either side of my decking
    Hi @newgardner I have to Pieris starting to go a flaming red they stunning besides when they have the pearl drops on them :)I have two either side of my decking
    20180520_182930.jpg IMG_20180621_082138.jpg P1000634.JPG P1020360.JPG P1000561.JPG P1050225.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SteveHi

Drilling holes in pots

Thanks for the kind words.I'm sure your husband will be able to manage it.As I said just saw the panels in half parallel with the banister. He should then be able to wiggle the two halves out...
    Thanks for the kind words.I'm sure your husband will be able to manage it.As I said just saw the panels in half parallel with the banister. He should then be able to wiggle the two halves out of their grooves. the rest is plain sailing. The banister will not need any additional support....
    Thanks for the kind words.I'm sure your husband will be able to manage it.As I said just saw the panels in half parallel with the banister. He should then be able to wiggle the two halves out of their grooves. the rest is plain sailing. The...
    Thanks for the kind words.I'm sure your husband will be able to manage it.As I said just saw the panels in half parallel with the banister. He should then be able to wiggle the two halves out...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Ollie Scarth
    Like x 4

I will become greenfingered!

That's not been my experience, the Dogs only tinkle so they can mark multiple spots, and they rarely go on the lawn preferring a bush somewhere to the side, whereas the Bitches squat down and dump...
    That's not been my experience, the Dogs only tinkle so they can mark multiple spots, and they rarely go on the lawn preferring a bush somewhere to the side, whereas the Bitches squat down and dump their whole, concentrated, load in one spot ...I've heard about Dogrocks (or whatever they are...
    That's not been my experience, the Dogs only tinkle so they can mark multiple spots, and they rarely go on the lawn preferring a bush somewhere to the side, whereas the Bitches squat down and dump their whole, concentrated, load in one spot...
    That's not been my experience, the Dogs only tinkle so they can mark multiple spots, and they rarely go on the lawn preferring a bush somewhere to the side, whereas the Bitches squat down and dump...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. tricky4511

wild garden

It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used...
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used for unwanted vigorous plants with thorns such as wild roses (also called briar) and many others. :)
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used for unwanted vigorous plants with thorns such as...
    It is usually mostly used as the common name for wild blackberries and comes from Middle English from about 1,000 years ago. It tends to be mainly used for wild blackberries but it is also used...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. MatthewK

Property immediately at end of garden, advice on improving view?

Deciduous trees look beautiful in winter just from their shapes. They change with the seasons, and you can grow Cyclamen under them in their leaf mould, and crocuses.
    Deciduous trees look beautiful in winter just from their shapes. They change with the seasons, and you can grow Cyclamen under them in their leaf mould, and crocuses.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wren1

Bugs on lupins

I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her...
    I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her Buckingham Palace's roses. I've heard milk and water works as a natural fungicide for mildew.
    I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her Buckingham Palace's roses. I've heard milk and water...
    I'd try the cut back and garlic spray Wren, I'm going to try the same for aphids. Lots of pollinating bees near by that can be hit by the insecticides. The Queens gardeners' swear by it for her...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. stevo19901

Looking for easy pretty flowers for 1st time gardener

If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's...
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's come up lovely again this year, colour most of the year too!
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's come up lovely again this year, colour most of the...
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. SandyNI
    Like x 10

Spot the mistake!

As suspected, the Chionodoxa have been and gone.... and now the tulips have popped out. Still stunning though!
    As suspected, the Chionodoxa have been and gone.... and now the tulips have popped out. Still stunning though!
    tulips.jpg Chiastophyllum Oppositifolium (1).JPG tulips.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Caelius

Plants to avoid:

Fully hardy and very well behaved. Another unusual Digitalis that may fit in is Digitalis laevigata............. Digitalis laevigata by longk48, on FlickrIt grows to about 1.2 metres and also...
    Fully hardy and very well behaved. Another unusual Digitalis that may fit in is Digitalis laevigata............. Digitalis laevigata by longk48, on FlickrIt grows to about 1.2 metres and also fully hardy and well behaved.
    Fully hardy and very well behaved. Another unusual Digitalis that may fit in is Digitalis laevigata............. Digitalis laevigata by longk48, on FlickrIt grows to about 1.2 metres and also fully hardy and well behaved.
    Fully hardy and very well behaved. Another unusual Digitalis that may fit in is Digitalis laevigata............. Digitalis laevigata by longk48, on FlickrIt grows to about 1.2 metres and also...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Adams6

IS IT WORTH STARTING A VEG PATCH IN SHADE?

I do well with all of those and my plot is shaded by a girt ash tree most of the day :)
    I do well with all of those and my plot is shaded by a girt ash tree most of the day :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. DK MacPhee

First ever greenhouse

Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer in the the Glasgow area. The names we've been given so far are all in the east but would prefer...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer in the the Glasgow area. The names we've been...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Sally Parker

Very Quick Draining, But Poor Nutrient Dry Soil....How to Improve???

I am in South Somerset.I used some well rotted horse manure for the first time this year, back in early spring and will try to do so again in autumn.
    I am in South Somerset.I used some well rotted horse manure for the first time this year, back in early spring and will try to do so again in autumn.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. NEL

Planting bulbs

bunch of bulbs, that drift each year.
    20170307_110239.jpg 20170307_110318.jpg springf-1-1.JPG 12984012_10209606859632154_2396301735581284956_o.jpg 903695_10201025466542690_713070195_o.jpg 1399228_10203812459895782_6942046555075270148_o.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Cardia

Coleus canina issue

I've never been one to mess around with things like this, if you harden off plants correctly and plant at the right time it's not necessary. As for winter, just no point, if a plant is not hardy...
    I've never been one to mess around with things like this, if you harden off plants correctly and plant at the right time it's not necessary. As for winter, just no point, if a plant is not hardy a bottle won't save it.
    I've never been one to mess around with things like this, if you harden off plants correctly and plant at the right time it's not necessary. As for winter, just no point, if a plant is not hardy a bottle won't save it.
    I've never been one to mess around with things like this, if you harden off plants correctly and plant at the right time it's not necessary. As for winter, just no point, if a plant is not hardy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Starzy84

Mushrooms?

As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do...
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do when I see them.
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do when I see them.
    As a small kid, I clearly remember tucking into Yew berries from the Yew in the local graveyard. I must have instinctivly known not to eat the seed, just the aril, as I'm still here. I still do...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. joh98.mac

Chilis are a Disaster Every Year :-(

I won't give up yet. I only want 2 anyway, but my wife's cousin and a couple of people at work are interested in growing there own, so I said I would sow some and any left they can have. I usually...
    I won't give up yet. I only want 2 anyway, but my wife's cousin and a couple of people at work are interested in growing there own, so I said I would sow some and any left they can have. I usually just buy the plants. I have done the same with toms as well, which have germinated really well.Rusty
    I won't give up yet. I only want 2 anyway, but my wife's cousin and a couple of people at work are interested in growing there own, so I said I would sow some and any left they can have. I usually just buy the plants. I have done the same with...
    I won't give up yet. I only want 2 anyway, but my wife's cousin and a couple of people at work are interested in growing there own, so I said I would sow some and any left they can have. I usually...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Outlander

Osteospermum

Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks...
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks for the advice though, will look for a better position before planting.
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks for the advice though, will look for a better...
    Yes I think you might be right there His are on a retaining wall of about four feet at the front of his house. I think the amount of sun is probably the same but drainage probably better.Thanks...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice