NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Choiseul

Struggling with a line of Box

Box naturally grows in chalky conditions I believe, Box Hill etc.I've got some box around the garden, grown from cuttings of wild trees. I think it grows a bit faster than the varieties you get...
    Box naturally grows in chalky conditions I believe, Box Hill etc.I've got some box around the garden, grown from cuttings of wild trees. I think it grows a bit faster than the varieties you get from garden centres. I also wonder if it is more pest and blight resistant as up to now I've never...
    Box naturally grows in chalky conditions I believe, Box Hill etc.I've got some box around the garden, grown from cuttings of wild trees. I think it grows a bit faster than the varieties you get from garden centres. I also wonder if it is more...
    Box naturally grows in chalky conditions I believe, Box Hill etc.I've got some box around the garden, grown from cuttings of wild trees. I think it grows a bit faster than the varieties you get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Rayla

Pruning Honeysuckle

Thanks so much for your reply. I think I'll do the same in the spring and hope for the best. :-)
    Thanks so much for your reply. I think I'll do the same in the spring and hope for the best. :-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Emma Hooker

Astilbe younique pink - is it meant to look like this

If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe...
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe dig it up improve the soil with compost, replant and hopefully in the Spring all will be fine.
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe dig it up improve the soil with compost, replant...
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Boltycr78

Struggling first timer

As above. A good lawn needs good initial preparation. Drainage particularly if it is in a low situation in relation to other gardens nearby. I would, as above, do a test dig. A new lawn will take...
    As above. A good lawn needs good initial preparation. Drainage particularly if it is in a low situation in relation to other gardens nearby. I would, as above, do a test dig. A new lawn will take a year or so to become tough enough for heavy traffic and even then only if it has been done...
    As above. A good lawn needs good initial preparation. Drainage particularly if it is in a low situation in relation to other gardens nearby. I would, as above, do a test dig. A new lawn will take a year or so to become tough enough for heavy...
    As above. A good lawn needs good initial preparation. Drainage particularly if it is in a low situation in relation to other gardens nearby. I would, as above, do a test dig. A new lawn will take...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Guy Greening

Any advice on growing in sand ?

Thanks @NigelJ i just brought some pots and fern trees off there
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Guy Greening

Any ideas about a palm tree and some frost

iv grown loads of them brown ones on the past few go yellow then brown trust me iv gota garden full of them if you want any let me no
    iv grown loads of them brown ones on the past few go yellow then brown trust me iv gota garden full of them if you want any let me no
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Appleblossom31

What to climb with my ivy on trees??

Thanks for the climber idea.. Something for me to think about
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. mogcat22

Yet another unknown bush!

Thank you so much - yes I think you are right! Found an image of Spirea Britannica and it looks just like that. Hope to now be able to give it some TLC.
    Thank you so much - yes I think you are right! Found an image of Spirea Britannica and it looks just like that. Hope to now be able to give it some TLC.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Rayla

Climbing Rose & Honeysuckle growing together

Thanks, I've got 3 to prune in total so I'll just cut them back in the winter months ready for next year.
    Thanks, I've got 3 to prune in total so I'll just cut them back in the winter months ready for next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Appleblossom31

A couple of questions

Just what I was needing luis, as Im a complete novice. Big big thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Hannah B

New Gardener Question About Mint

Welcome Hannah. Peobably snails have gorged themselves at your expence. Never mind. As other members have said, given time, all will come back. Please don't worry.Jenny. Naughty naughty. ...
    Welcome Hannah. Peobably snails have gorged themselves at your expence. Never mind. As other members have said, given time, all will come back. Please don't worry.Jenny. Naughty naughty. Thinking of your digestible delights again.xx
    Welcome Hannah. Peobably snails have gorged themselves at your expence. Never mind. As other members have said, given time, all will come back. Please don't worry.Jenny. Naughty naughty. Thinking of your digestible delights again.xx
    Welcome Hannah. Peobably snails have gorged themselves at your expence. Never mind. As other members have said, given time, all will come back. Please don't worry.Jenny. Naughty naughty. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. mogcat22

Mystery Plant - is it Camellia?

I agree with TBG Viburnum, the growth pattern is too compact for a Prunus, and the stems are the wrong colour
    I agree with TBG Viburnum, the growth pattern is too compact for a Prunus, and the stems are the wrong colour
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Sunny-Mac

Steep garden advice.

Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've prepared the soil thoroughly and then planted through membrane. Bark, though, will tend to travel...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've prepared the soil thoroughly and then planted...
    Hello Mark, welcome to GC :) Opinion is pretty divided on weed-suppressing membrane. I'm a big fan as my garden is on a hefty slope too, and by far the most successful borders are those where I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Texas Pete

White Fibres under soil

Asbestos fibres are so tiny that white blood cells can eat them whole (and that's where problems start).
    Asbestos fibres are so tiny that white blood cells can eat them whole (and that's where problems start).
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. BrisOxSophie

Balcony planting

Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a male one is local (that's a long shot on a balcony!)...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful and the female version produces red berries if a...
    Hi Sophie, welcome to GC. It's the 'all year round' factor that limits your choice. But I have had a varigated laurel (aucuba) in a large tub for around ten years. The leaves are always cheerful...
    DSC_0043.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Appleblossom31
    Like x 9

My garden was derelict at Easter

It looks lovely :) well done!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Appleblossom31

Im so so angry with myself!!!

I did and i remine the farmer as well :biggrin: when i see him :catapult:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. seantmurphy1

BLUE COLEUS

This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan....
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan. Back on topic i see that Thompson & Morgan are offering a blue poppy meconopsis 'Lingholm' which is...
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan. Back on topic i see that Thompson & Morgan are...
    This is consumerism at it's worst... A one 'size' fits all Donkey/ Llama / Alpaca to cover multi global holiday outlets. I bet they were produced in China and subbed out to a factory in Taiwan....
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Maxkolonko

Disease help

Thanks for that, I always try to water straight on soil rather overhead, but maybe I did overwater it, or rain did Thanks for help
    Thanks for that, I always try to water straight on soil rather overhead, but maybe I did overwater it, or rain did Thanks for help
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. mk2phil

New gardener - Japanese Cedar - need help!

@mk2phil I'd just keep an eye on them. I wouldn't feed them either.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice