NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. cylib

Identify plant

Yes, now I know. And much bigger from ones I got
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. "M"

Tulips and crocus bulbs

Either, it's up to you. Crocuses are grown a lot for indoors, then they"re planted out after the flowers have finished, I usually grow them on my kitchen window then when the leaves are starting...
    Either, it's up to you. Crocuses are grown a lot for indoors, then they"re planted out after the flowers have finished, I usually grow them on my kitchen window then when the leaves are starting to die off plant them out for next year.I think with the Tulips it depends on the type as some are...
    Either, it's up to you. Crocuses are grown a lot for indoors, then they"re planted out after the flowers have finished, I usually grow them on my kitchen window then when the leaves are starting to die off plant them out for next year.I think...
    Either, it's up to you. Crocuses are grown a lot for indoors, then they"re planted out after the flowers have finished, I usually grow them on my kitchen window then when the leaves are starting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. lowrider69

New Veg Patch Weeds

I disagree, when that small hoeing fetches them up to the surface to die, those in the photos are tiny so hoeing will finish them...any bigger and yes you spread them.Steve...:)
    I disagree, when that small hoeing fetches them up to the surface to die, those in the photos are tiny so hoeing will finish them...any bigger and yes you spread them.Steve...:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. PJ21

Advice On Preparing Ground Grass Seed

Thanks for all the previous advice on this, the seed has been down a few weeks now and the grass is coming through nicely in a lot of places.In places where it's a little slower coming through...
    Thanks for all the previous advice on this, the seed has been down a few weeks now and the grass is coming through nicely in a lot of places.In places where it's a little slower coming through or the seed looks sparse, would it be worthwhile throwing down a little more seed now or should I...
    Thanks for all the previous advice on this, the seed has been down a few weeks now and the grass is coming through nicely in a lot of places.In places where it's a little slower coming through or the seed looks sparse, would it be worthwhile...
    Thanks for all the previous advice on this, the seed has been down a few weeks now and the grass is coming through nicely in a lot of places.In places where it's a little slower coming through...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. larkstar
    Like x 4

Tree planting (4m spread after 20 years) - how close to fence?

@larkstar excellent thread ... Asking for info something we all need to do before planting Trees so hats off to you ....Hmmmm how many have made these innocent rooky planting mistakes ..more than...
    @larkstar excellent thread ... Asking for info something we all need to do before planting Trees so hats off to you ....Hmmmm how many have made these innocent rooky planting mistakes ..more than we can shake a stick:redx: at im sure :heehee: but very few will admit to it :whistle: but we all know it happens ;):goodpost: (s) ...
    @larkstar excellent thread ... Asking for info something we all need to do before planting Trees so hats off to you ....Hmmmm how many have made these innocent rooky planting mistakes ..more than we can shake a stick:redx: at im sure :heehee: but very few...
    @larkstar excellent thread ... Asking for info something we all need to do before planting Trees so hats off to you ....Hmmmm how many have made these innocent rooky planting mistakes ..more than...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. "M"

Hard/Soft Neck Garlic: difference please?

:youwelcome: Well me luvverly as it such a large cup ;) im sure you can keep some for next week :heehee: And as you can see your reet next to the Loch :dbgrtmb:
    :youwelcome: Well me luvverly as it such a large cup ;) im sure you can keep some for next week :heehee: And as you can see your reet next to the Loch :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. gaeilicgal

Overcut Avocado stem, help!

Just dragged this one in off the allotment, I grew it this spring. Looking closely at the lower stem just above the old stone I can see dormant buds. If yours has similar i think it will reshoot...
    Just dragged this one in off the allotment, I grew it this spring. Looking closely at the lower stem just above the old stone I can see dormant buds. If yours has similar i think it will reshoot and maybe become multistemmed as your Aunt suggests.Mine is just starting to form a bushy head...
    Just dragged this one in off the allotment, I grew it this spring. Looking closely at the lower stem just above the old stone I can see dormant buds. If yours has similar i think it will reshoot and maybe become multistemmed as your Aunt...
    Just dragged this one in off the allotment, I grew it this spring. Looking closely at the lower stem just above the old stone I can see dormant buds. If yours has similar i think it will reshoot...
    DSC_0242.JPG DSC_0246.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wren1

Lilac and what to do with it

I've got two lilacs I bought this year from a pound shop. They were around 10" tall. I did pot them into larger pots for a while as I thought they were bit small to put in ground. They grew very...
    I've got two lilacs I bought this year from a pound shop. They were around 10" tall. I did pot them into larger pots for a while as I thought they were bit small to put in ground. They grew very well and I planted them out end of May. Both have grown a little more, although they seem to be slow...
    I've got two lilacs I bought this year from a pound shop. They were around 10" tall. I did pot them into larger pots for a while as I thought they were bit small to put in ground. They grew very well and I planted them out end of May. Both have...
    I've got two lilacs I bought this year from a pound shop. They were around 10" tall. I did pot them into larger pots for a while as I thought they were bit small to put in ground. They grew very...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. zac123

should i trim back the leader now?

Yes indeed zac. Some will argue it is too late now but do it asap. :) Makes for greater density
    Yes indeed zac. Some will argue it is too late now but do it asap. :) Makes for greater density
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Sonya

Lavatera seeds

Sorry I didn't get this pic yesterday - I am having a bit of a flare up and not feeling to well this weekend.
    Sorry I didn't get this pic yesterday - I am having a bit of a flare up and not feeling to well this weekend.
    PSX_20171006_182157.jpg Peacock  feasting on Didicus _Blue Lace.jpg IMG_20170826_122149.jpg 0956ba95d1b15f6da5616e88958bd542--gardening-quotes-the-gardener.jpg IMAG0173.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Elina

What and when to plant for 365days of floral blossom

:goodpost:Yes @Clare G thats what makes gardening sooooo interesting everyone's individual tastes and likes :spinning:...no one answer is correct or fits all ;) Im always fascinated by other gardens and how folk came...
    :goodpost:Yes @Clare G thats what makes gardening sooooo interesting everyone's individual tastes and likes :spinning:...no one answer is correct or fits all ;) Im always fascinated by other gardens and how folk came to their final garden style- wish we had more telly programs on regular peoples gardens up and down...
    :goodpost:Yes @Clare G thats what makes gardening sooooo interesting everyone's individual tastes and likes :spinning:...no one answer is correct or fits all ;) Im always fascinated by other gardens and how folk came to their final garden style- wish we had more...
    :goodpost:Yes @Clare G thats what makes gardening sooooo interesting everyone's individual tastes and likes :spinning:...no one answer is correct or fits all ;) Im always fascinated by other gardens and how folk came...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. taurusmmuk

Winter flowers

You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This...
    You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This will enable the plants to concentrate on root growth. They will flower all the better for it albeit...
    You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This will enable the plants to concentrate on root...
    You dont say how big but I would pot them up and then plant out in a few weeks when bigger and recovered from being in transit One important thing to do is to remove any flowers and buds. This...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Phoozzle

Composting Advice!

Thanks for all the advice.The compost is a bit wet and sludgy at the moment but it has plenty of worms in and beetles and woodlice and a few slugs. I would take this to be a good sign?Another...
    Thanks for all the advice.The compost is a bit wet and sludgy at the moment but it has plenty of worms in and beetles and woodlice and a few slugs. I would take this to be a good sign?Another couple of questions if I may?Green Fingered Blogger - If the cardboard is wet going in does this...
    Thanks for all the advice.The compost is a bit wet and sludgy at the moment but it has plenty of worms in and beetles and woodlice and a few slugs. I would take this to be a good sign?Another couple of questions if I may?Green Fingered...
    Thanks for all the advice.The compost is a bit wet and sludgy at the moment but it has plenty of worms in and beetles and woodlice and a few slugs. I would take this to be a good sign?Another...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Steve R
    Like x 17

What to do in your garden right now..!

Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any advice re trimming as I've no experience with plants...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be seen, I'm sorry not to be able to give you any...
    Hi @LMcG1983 sorry but your trimming question seems to have been overlooked.:th scifD36: Perhaps i might suggest you put this question out on the main forum boards General Gardening Discussion so it will be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. peter121

garlic

thank you silu and carolineL was not sure you could use your home grown ones.regards peter.
    thank you silu and carolineL was not sure you could use your home grown ones.regards peter.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. xantia

Another "what's this"?

By doing what Sian suggests I did manage to get rid of a tiny patch at our previous house, but it was tiny and it took over 5 years of removing every shoot which appeared on a daily basis.
    By doing what Sian suggests I did manage to get rid of a tiny patch at our previous house, but it was tiny and it took over 5 years of removing every shoot which appeared on a daily basis.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Statesidemanc

Peas and Mildew

Mildew on peas is usually something that happens towards the end of the season, often a bit dry at the roots and lacking that spring flush of growth as the days shorten.Personally I'd eat all I...
    Mildew on peas is usually something that happens towards the end of the season, often a bit dry at the roots and lacking that spring flush of growth as the days shorten.Personally I'd eat all I could and just buy new seed next year, saving your own might work, but is it really worth it? Good...
    Mildew on peas is usually something that happens towards the end of the season, often a bit dry at the roots and lacking that spring flush of growth as the days shorten.Personally I'd eat all I could and just buy new seed next year, saving your...
    Mildew on peas is usually something that happens towards the end of the season, often a bit dry at the roots and lacking that spring flush of growth as the days shorten.Personally I'd eat all I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Faerie Gardener

New Gardener needs advise... East Facing Garden?

Think I would be tempted to have a bed by the garage wall for various veg and fruit. You can use the garage wall as a heat sink /reflector and a support for taller plants like blackberries,...
    Think I would be tempted to have a bed by the garage wall for various veg and fruit. You can use the garage wall as a heat sink /reflector and a support for taller plants like blackberries, raspberries, runner beans etc etc and space in front of them for the smaller crops like lettuce , beetroot...
    Think I would be tempted to have a bed by the garage wall for various veg and fruit. You can use the garage wall as a heat sink /reflector and a support for taller plants like blackberries, raspberries, runner beans etc etc and space in front of...
    Think I would be tempted to have a bed by the garage wall for various veg and fruit. You can use the garage wall as a heat sink /reflector and a support for taller plants like blackberries,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. hmltnangel

Soil, what to do with it

If it's going to be lawn then adding plenty of gravel would improve drainage rather than organic matter. The gravel would need working into the soil. The other thing is to aerate the soil, maybe...
    If it's going to be lawn then adding plenty of gravel would improve drainage rather than organic matter. The gravel would need working into the soil. The other thing is to aerate the soil, maybe it is compacted from the heavy equipment during the new build so you could try loosening it with a...
    If it's going to be lawn then adding plenty of gravel would improve drainage rather than organic matter. The gravel would need working into the soil. The other thing is to aerate the soil, maybe it is compacted from the heavy equipment during the...
    If it's going to be lawn then adding plenty of gravel would improve drainage rather than organic matter. The gravel would need working into the soil. The other thing is to aerate the soil, maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Sally Parker

Destroyed our Soil through Tilling?? How to get Rid of Weeds without Tilling????......

If digging over in the spring to the depth of one spit is considered tilling then I am guilty and have been for 45 years or so. I need to do it even more since I've been growing green manure over...
    If digging over in the spring to the depth of one spit is considered tilling then I am guilty and have been for 45 years or so. I need to do it even more since I've been growing green manure over winter, cant imagine trying to smother that with a top dressing, and planting in the winter...
    If digging over in the spring to the depth of one spit is considered tilling then I am guilty and have been for 45 years or so. I need to do it even more since I've been growing green manure over winter, cant imagine trying to smother that with...
    If digging over in the spring to the depth of one spit is considered tilling then I am guilty and have been for 45 years or so. I need to do it even more since I've been growing green manure over...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice