1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. toppington

Advice on weeding patio please!

Hi toppington, I doubt that putting sand in the cracks will stop weeds, unless it's mixed with a granular weedkiller that stops seeds germinating. Just the opposite....they'll have more to root...
    Hi toppington, I doubt that putting sand in the cracks will stop weeds, unless it's mixed with a granular weedkiller that stops seeds germinating. Just the opposite....they'll have more to root into! If they are just annual weeds, the salt'n'vinegar thing should work, but not sure that they'll...
    Hi toppington, I doubt that putting sand in the cracks will stop weeds, unless it's mixed with a granular weedkiller that stops seeds germinating. Just the opposite....they'll have more to root into! If they are just annual weeds, the...
    Hi toppington, I doubt that putting sand in the cracks will stop weeds, unless it's mixed with a granular weedkiller that stops seeds germinating. Just the opposite....they'll have more to root...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Feets

Window box style ideas

@Feets Begonias are tubers and need to be taken out of the compost when the stems are dead in autumn, cut the stems off and then store the tubers in a protective place like in a shed or garage...
    @Feets Begonias are tubers and need to be taken out of the compost when the stems are dead in autumn, cut the stems off and then store the tubers in a protective place like in a shed or garage for winter and then in spring, pot them up until it's warm enough to plant out. They are an easy...
    @Feets Begonias are tubers and need to be taken out of the compost when the stems are dead in autumn, cut the stems off and then store the tubers in a protective place like in a shed or garage for winter and then in spring, pot them up until...
    @Feets Begonias are tubers and need to be taken out of the compost when the stems are dead in autumn, cut the stems off and then store the tubers in a protective place like in a shed or garage...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. leeski

New greenhouse

Thanks for advice much appreciated :-) Im lucky as I have a south facing conservatory and greenhouse so hopefully weather will improve soon
    Thanks for advice much appreciated :-) Im lucky as I have a south facing conservatory and greenhouse so hopefully weather will improve soon
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Rhiannon
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. cathymoon

Pepper plants problems

Two of them actually have a 2nd true leave growing. Here's a picture.
    1460889801179-1658664743.jpg 1460891160438-196613399.jpg 1460904603781-1658664743.jpg 14616235965291568863477.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. David E Peacock

1ST Time taking Chrysanthemum Cuttings

It's as the title says, and I am following the 'book' . . . Took the cuttings 3 weeks back, 4 cuttings to each 3" pot and pots placed in a propagator (electric with bottom heat). All looks well...
    It's as the title says, and I am following the 'book' . . . Took the cuttings 3 weeks back, 4 cuttings to each 3" pot and pots placed in a propagator (electric with bottom heat). All looks well and I took one pot at the week-end to pot them on to find only one had some root. The others showed...
    It's as the title says, and I am following the 'book' . . . Took the cuttings 3 weeks back, 4 cuttings to each 3" pot and pots placed in a propagator (electric with bottom heat). All looks well and I took one pot at the week-end to pot them on...
    It's as the title says, and I am following the 'book' . . . Took the cuttings 3 weeks back, 4 cuttings to each 3" pot and pots placed in a propagator (electric with bottom heat). All looks well...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. paul-kent

Is this okay

Just dont think parsnips are suited to container growing. But never tried myself, so just guessing. As far as I know there are no varieties of parsnip intended for container growing as such,...
    Just dont think parsnips are suited to container growing. But never tried myself, so just guessing. As far as I know there are no varieties of parsnip intended for container growing as such, unlike carrots.
    Just dont think parsnips are suited to container growing. But never tried myself, so just guessing. As far as I know there are no varieties of parsnip intended for container growing as such, unlike carrots.
    Just dont think parsnips are suited to container growing. But never tried myself, so just guessing. As far as I know there are no varieties of parsnip intended for container growing as such,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Dave-Hyatt

Lawn issues

Brilliant, thanks for the reply :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. DanMcLiv

Seeds planted too close, now what?

Depends on the plant, with salad leaf crops like Rocket I keep them in the same pot they germinate in, then transplant straight into the soil when they are big enough (and "hardened off").You'll...
    Depends on the plant, with salad leaf crops like Rocket I keep them in the same pot they germinate in, then transplant straight into the soil when they are big enough (and "hardened off").You'll easily get a dozen or so plants in a pot your size."Hardening off" is transitioning the seedlings...
    Depends on the plant, with salad leaf crops like Rocket I keep them in the same pot they germinate in, then transplant straight into the soil when they are big enough (and "hardened off").You'll easily get a dozen or so plants in a pot your...
    Depends on the plant, with salad leaf crops like Rocket I keep them in the same pot they germinate in, then transplant straight into the soil when they are big enough (and "hardened off").You'll...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. cathymoon

Can I still save these?

Hello! The optimum temperature for the growth of lettuce is 60-65 F. They might stand a temperature in the range of 80-85 F, but not for too long and it is very important that the nights have to...
    Hello! The optimum temperature for the growth of lettuce is 60-65 F. They might stand a temperature in the range of 80-85 F, but not for too long and it is very important that the nights have to be cold (something that you cannot control). But, keeping the temperatures low would be good for the...
    Hello! The optimum temperature for the growth of lettuce is 60-65 F. They might stand a temperature in the range of 80-85 F, but not for too long and it is very important that the nights have to be cold (something that you cannot control). But,...
    Hello! The optimum temperature for the growth of lettuce is 60-65 F. They might stand a temperature in the range of 80-85 F, but not for too long and it is very important that the nights have to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. AndyW72

Spiniach and rocket in containers

Last year I planted a strip of "Perpetual Spinach" in a piece of guttering which I attached to my fence in the shadiest part of my garden (no direct sunlight, at all!) Here is a photo taken 25...
    Last year I planted a strip of "Perpetual Spinach" in a piece of guttering which I attached to my fence in the shadiest part of my garden (no direct sunlight, at all!) Here is a photo taken 25 June 2015 when it was just beginning to show signs of life (please ignore the bunch of coriander at...
    Last year I planted a strip of "Perpetual Spinach" in a piece of guttering which I attached to my fence in the shadiest part of my garden (no direct sunlight, at all!) Here is a photo taken 25 June 2015 when it was just beginning to show signs...
    Last year I planted a strip of "Perpetual Spinach" in a piece of guttering which I attached to my fence in the shadiest part of my garden (no direct sunlight, at all!) Here is a photo taken 25...
    CIMG0009 (1024x768).jpg CIMG0096 (600x800).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. wren1

Are these weeds?

Thank you so much everyone. I can't wait to get out there and carry on pulling the weeds out, safe in the knowledge I am doing the right thing!
    Thank you so much everyone. I can't wait to get out there and carry on pulling the weeds out, safe in the knowledge I am doing the right thing!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Smudgedhorizon

Weird garden water

Yes, but i've found gas pipes at 2 inches deep, a main elecey cable 11,000 volt only 3inches deep which i went through will the digger (this is why my hair is always sticking up:snorky:) so you never know...
    Yes, but i've found gas pipes at 2 inches deep, a main elecey cable 11,000 volt only 3inches deep which i went through will the digger (this is why my hair is always sticking up:snorky:) so you never know whats down there, also i went through another elecey cable which i got the MEB out to find (which...
    Yes, but i've found gas pipes at 2 inches deep, a main elecey cable 11,000 volt only 3inches deep which i went through will the digger (this is why my hair is always sticking up:snorky:) so you never know whats down there, also i went through another...
    Yes, but i've found gas pipes at 2 inches deep, a main elecey cable 11,000 volt only 3inches deep which i went through will the digger (this is why my hair is always sticking up:snorky:) so you never know...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. paul-kent

What to put where

Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough rinsing), before drilling drainage holes into them and then filling up for growing in. I use them for...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough rinsing), before drilling drainage holes into them and...
    Find your local bus garage and ask them if you can have their spent shampoo barrels - they are plastic nowadays, and can easily be cut in half and then washed out (they need a really thorough...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Tingting44

1 year old turf....overseed/weed & feed?....

Hi there everyone, well spring is here and cant wait to get fully into the swing of gardening again :DMy turf is one year old now, and it has some wear from over the winter, i was thinking of...
    Hi there everyone, well spring is here and cant wait to get fully into the swing of gardening again :DMy turf is one year old now, and it has some wear from over the winter, i was thinking of over seeding next week along with putting down some weed and feed for the lawn at the same time, now...
    Hi there everyone, well spring is here and cant wait to get fully into the swing of gardening again :DMy turf is one year old now, and it has some wear from over the winter, i was thinking of over seeding next week along with putting down some...
    Hi there everyone, well spring is here and cant wait to get fully into the swing of gardening again :DMy turf is one year old now, and it has some wear from over the winter, i was thinking of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. mickmick9

First time home owner, want to fix lawn

I am hoping it knits together over time but just a new lawn I wouldn't think I would face this problem.
    I am hoping it knits together over time but just a new lawn I wouldn't think I would face this problem.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Galaxy

Where to buy hedging online?

The ebay seller does but I don't know about the other one. I think I just paid by credit card with Buckingham.
    The ebay seller does but I don't know about the other one. I think I just paid by credit card with Buckingham.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Elliewc
    Like x 3

Hello from London, UK

Love your cat picture! we love our cats too in my family....
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. cathymoon

Dividing my gardening/growing space

I'm in Germany.I will be planting some flowers in another patch, closer to our padio (patio?). I'll will also be growing leeks. But for this year I'm starting cheap, I already have some...
    I'm in Germany.I will be planting some flowers in another patch, closer to our padio (patio?). I'll will also be growing leeks. But for this year I'm starting cheap, I already have some potato. And have started some leek seeds indoors.But the thing is. The soil is really heavy. If it...
    I'm in Germany.I will be planting some flowers in another patch, closer to our padio (patio?). I'll will also be growing leeks. But for this year I'm starting cheap, I already have some potato. And have started some leek seeds indoors.But...
    I'm in Germany.I will be planting some flowers in another patch, closer to our padio (patio?). I'll will also be growing leeks. But for this year I'm starting cheap, I already have some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. toppington

Clematis and climbing

From looking at M's lovely photos I realise now that I'm going to be needing much larger pots too :snorky:
    From looking at M's lovely photos I realise now that I'm going to be needing much larger pots too :snorky:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice