1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. MrsK

plant spacing

Once sowed perp spinach in a 2' trough-type container by scattering seed over soil surface. Result: crowded plants all ready at the same time. Love greens but can't scoff that many @ one...
    Once sowed perp spinach in a 2' trough-type container by scattering seed over soil surface. Result: crowded plants all ready at the same time. Love greens but can't scoff that many @ one go.Continuing to sow basil on windowsill 5 seeds/station, 15-16 stations/container. This avoids the...
    Once sowed perp spinach in a 2' trough-type container by scattering seed over soil surface. Result: crowded plants all ready at the same time. Love greens but can't scoff that many @ one go.Continuing to sow basil on windowsill 5 seeds/station,...
    Once sowed perp spinach in a 2' trough-type container by scattering seed over soil surface. Result: crowded plants all ready at the same time. Love greens but can't scoff that many @ one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Neil B

My Veg Garden Diary - From Scratch

Blimey you've cracked on Neil,it's looking good and what a lucky 'find' with the GH:thumbsup: what are you planning to grow in it?...:dbgrtmb:
    Blimey you've cracked on Neil,it's looking good and what a lucky 'find' with the GH:thumbsup: what are you planning to grow in it?...:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Paul Sanderson

Quite a few questions!...

A progress report here and there would be welcome please Paul. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. kairos

How do I transfer my sun flowers to larger pots?

Hello and welcome:)The best way I've found to get young plants out of cells without damaging them (the plant) is this. Take a cheapo pen, and with the wrong end (ie not the pointy, writing end but...
    Hello and welcome:)The best way I've found to get young plants out of cells without damaging them (the plant) is this. Take a cheapo pen, and with the wrong end (ie not the pointy, writing end but the blunt end) push it into the drainage hole in the bottom of the cell. The whole thing then just...
    Hello and welcome:)The best way I've found to get young plants out of cells without damaging them (the plant) is this. Take a cheapo pen, and with the wrong end (ie not the pointy, writing end but the blunt end) push it into the drainage hole in...
    Hello and welcome:)The best way I've found to get young plants out of cells without damaging them (the plant) is this. Take a cheapo pen, and with the wrong end (ie not the pointy, writing end but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. MrsK

AGM = ?

Now "always" :th scifD36: Only when it's a GC Shed AGM ... I know what you lot are like :whistle: :doggieshmooze:
    Now "always" :th scifD36: Only when it's a GC Shed AGM ... I know what you lot are like :whistle: :doggieshmooze:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. parcheesy

Moving a hellebore ?

Thank you :-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Penfold

Looking for a smelly plant...

They don't bother me enough for any drastic action. Its just the occasional brief rest. I get more annoyed by incompetent car drivers visiting either the club next door, or the old lady next door...
    They don't bother me enough for any drastic action. Its just the occasional brief rest. I get more annoyed by incompetent car drivers visiting either the club next door, or the old lady next door the other way, who somehow managed to convince the DSA to give them a driving license despite the...
    They don't bother me enough for any drastic action. Its just the occasional brief rest. I get more annoyed by incompetent car drivers visiting either the club next door, or the old lady next door the other way, who somehow managed to convince the...
    They don't bother me enough for any drastic action. Its just the occasional brief rest. I get more annoyed by incompetent car drivers visiting either the club next door, or the old lady next door...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. stevo19901

Looking for easy pretty flowers for 1st time gardener

If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's...
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's come up lovely again this year, colour most of the year too!
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's come up lovely again this year, colour most of the...
    If that corner piece is pretty shady I would suggest an astilbe I have a hot pink one that really brightens up a corner and although it dies back in winter I haven't done anything to it and it's...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. 68blues

Lawn scarifier/ aerator

No I don't, I tried it and it didn't work.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. MrsK

African marigolds

These are just parked on a windowsill in trays that have clear lids and a bit of headroom. @Loofah, agree about mould -- that happened one year with these plantable pots, they get soggy. So: off...
    These are just parked on a windowsill in trays that have clear lids and a bit of headroom. @Loofah, agree about mould -- that happened one year with these plantable pots, they get soggy. So: off with the lids! :thumbsup:
    These are just parked on a windowsill in trays that have clear lids and a bit of headroom. @Loofah, agree about mould -- that happened one year with these plantable pots, they get soggy. So: off with the lids! :thumbsup:
    These are just parked on a windowsill in trays that have clear lids and a bit of headroom. @Loofah, agree about mould -- that happened one year with these plantable pots, they get soggy. So: off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. GloriaR

A few questions

You could leave the bulbs in but it would make it a bit awkward for planting so once they've died back lift them and remove excess soil and put them in a shed/garage to dry out then you can...
    You could leave the bulbs in but it would make it a bit awkward for planting so once they've died back lift them and remove excess soil and put them in a shed/garage to dry out then you can replant them in the Autumn:thumbsup:...The plants you suggested will grow there and I'd do as Jack advised and add a...
    You could leave the bulbs in but it would make it a bit awkward for planting so once they've died back lift them and remove excess soil and put them in a shed/garage to dry out then you can replant them in the Autumn:thumbsup:...The plants you suggested...
    You could leave the bulbs in but it would make it a bit awkward for planting so once they've died back lift them and remove excess soil and put them in a shed/garage to dry out then you can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. NorthantsGeezer

Roots. What do I do please?

Thanks for the reply dude. The lillies were like bulbs with a bud at the top. They are in a garden pot thingy. They have surfaced and look sweet so far (pic attached). It's the incarvillea I am...
    Thanks for the reply dude. The lillies were like bulbs with a bud at the top. They are in a garden pot thingy. They have surfaced and look sweet so far (pic attached). It's the incarvillea I am more concerned with. I will take a pic of one of those too :) the stick is pointing at it :)
    Thanks for the reply dude. The lillies were like bulbs with a bud at the top. They are in a garden pot thingy. They have surfaced and look sweet so far (pic attached). It's the incarvillea I am more concerned with. I will take a pic of one of...
    Thanks for the reply dude. The lillies were like bulbs with a bud at the top. They are in a garden pot thingy. They have surfaced and look sweet so far (pic attached). It's the incarvillea I am...
    IMG_00000035.jpg IMG_00000036.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. NorthantsGeezer

Geezers poker questions :)

Well I can certainly move it to a sunnier slab :) As for sticking it in the earth, Hmmm, I would need to find somewhere suitable. I will have to think. Thank you so much for the advice :)
    Well I can certainly move it to a sunnier slab :) As for sticking it in the earth, Hmmm, I would need to find somewhere suitable. I will have to think. Thank you so much for the advice :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Paul Sanderson

Plant ID please...

Yeah it's painful to see... Got a load of Hawthorne and blackthorn in between my garden and the hardstanding next to the house but it's growing painfully slow. Even the tough escallonias have...
    Yeah it's painful to see... Got a load of Hawthorne and blackthorn in between my garden and the hardstanding next to the house but it's growing painfully slow. Even the tough escallonias have Bern struggling today!Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Yeah it's painful to see... Got a load of Hawthorne and blackthorn in between my garden and the hardstanding next to the house but it's growing painfully slow. Even the tough escallonias have Bern struggling today!Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Yeah it's painful to see... Got a load of Hawthorne and blackthorn in between my garden and the hardstanding next to the house but it's growing painfully slow. Even the tough escallonias have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. NorthantsGeezer

What should I do with these please?

So, it now looks like this. Unforked and then forked over, prior to watering :)
    IMG_00000019.jpg IMG_00000032.jpg IMG_00000034.jpg IMG_00000037.jpg IMG_00000038.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. NorthantsGeezer

Hello Hello Hello. What's going on here then?

I think it may be lack of water, or those granules I put on to feed them. I will try water first :) So one basket too wet, one too dry. :rolleyespink: Thanks, as always :)
    I think it may be lack of water, or those granules I put on to feed them. I will try water first :) So one basket too wet, one too dry. :rolleyespink: Thanks, as always :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. CJBK

Vine question...

Better shot?
    Better shot?
    Better shot?
    Better shot?
    P1050636 (600 x 800).jpg P1050637 (450 x 600).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Stunning Peter

Pinching out

Hi HI dont like the (Million series) the colour is washed out , plus the newer varieties perform so much better
    Hi HI dont like the (Million series) the colour is washed out , plus the newer varieties perform so much better
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. MrsK

Planting out in the wet

Planted out runner beans yesterday in light rain, was surprised at how open and unclaggy the soil was. :thumbsup: Encouraged!
    Planted out runner beans yesterday in light rain, was surprised at how open and unclaggy the soil was. :thumbsup: Encouraged!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. "M"

Finding out soil properties before you can test it?

Thank you, John (the One Show may not have appreciated your worth: but *I* do!) :) I've only gardened on clay (so far) so wasn't too sure what I was letting myself in for (well, that's if we...
    Thank you, John (the One Show may not have appreciated your worth: but *I* do!) :) I've only gardened on clay (so far) so wasn't too sure what I was letting myself in for (well, that's if we *get* the property - contracts aren't exchanged yet :heehee: I'm ever the optimist .. which counterbalances...
    Thank you, John (the One Show may not have appreciated your worth: but *I* do!) :) I've only gardened on clay (so far) so wasn't too sure what I was letting myself in for (well, that's if we *get* the property - contracts aren't exchanged yet :heehee:...
    Thank you, John (the One Show may not have appreciated your worth: but *I* do!) :) I've only gardened on clay (so far) so wasn't too sure what I was letting myself in for (well, that's if we...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice