1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Retro_Popcorn

Ilex aquifolium Argentea Marginata

Looking good ... are you wanting a holly hedge ?
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Niall

Lawn help

Thanks all for the responses. I will be using evergreen autumn so I think it has 6% nitrogen. I will give it a go so fingers crossed!
    Thanks all for the responses. I will be using evergreen autumn so I think it has 6% nitrogen. I will give it a go so fingers crossed!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. PeteCrosby

Hello - help for a newbie?

Welcome. I have a couple of shrubs that have shed all their leaves already due to the summer we had.
    Welcome. I have a couple of shrubs that have shed all their leaves already due to the summer we had.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Klaus Ludwig

Treatment required?

My personal thoughts are, I'd get rid of it. I dont know why so many people grow bay trees, they are just down right boring.Other than cutting out the diseased parts I cant think of any other...
    My personal thoughts are, I'd get rid of it. I dont know why so many people grow bay trees, they are just down right boring.Other than cutting out the diseased parts I cant think of any other options
    My personal thoughts are, I'd get rid of it. I dont know why so many people grow bay trees, they are just down right boring.Other than cutting out the diseased parts I cant think of any other options
    My personal thoughts are, I'd get rid of it. I dont know why so many people grow bay trees, they are just down right boring.Other than cutting out the diseased parts I cant think of any other...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Retro_Popcorn

Ilex aquifolium Argentea Holly

Hi does anyone know how much mulch I should be putting around my holly as I have 5 and was wondering if a 60l bag is enoughThanks
    Hi does anyone know how much mulch I should be putting around my holly as I have 5 and was wondering if a 60l bag is enoughThanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. philupnorth

Advice on getting nutrients into flowerbed

I don't feed my flower beds as it can lead to lush leafy growth with fewer flowers. I would wait till the spring whem they emerge and use a high potash feed such as used for tomatoes to promote...
    I don't feed my flower beds as it can lead to lush leafy growth with fewer flowers. I would wait till the spring whem they emerge and use a high potash feed such as used for tomatoes to promote the flowers.
    I don't feed my flower beds as it can lead to lush leafy growth with fewer flowers. I would wait till the spring whem they emerge and use a high potash feed such as used for tomatoes to promote the flowers.
    I don't feed my flower beds as it can lead to lush leafy growth with fewer flowers. I would wait till the spring whem they emerge and use a high potash feed such as used for tomatoes to promote...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Retro_Popcorn

Silver ivy

Thinking about it you could be right , on the other hand if it gets to the top it will hang down. But ivy does spread sideways usually without too much encouragement. Something I've never tried,...
    Thinking about it you could be right , on the other hand if it gets to the top it will hang down. But ivy does spread sideways usually without too much encouragement. Something I've never tried, but it does smother most things quite well if not rapidly to start with.
    Thinking about it you could be right , on the other hand if it gets to the top it will hang down. But ivy does spread sideways usually without too much encouragement. Something I've never tried, but it does smother most things quite well if not...
    Thinking about it you could be right , on the other hand if it gets to the top it will hang down. But ivy does spread sideways usually without too much encouragement. Something I've never tried,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. ChrisWales

Advice on planter

It does have a high content of organic matter, probably green waste or household waste, explains the plastic. Nice planter though :blue thumb:
    It does have a high content of organic matter, probably green waste or household waste, explains the plastic. Nice planter though :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. EmFlu

Didn't tease potbound roots; should I repot a second time?

I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:Joking...
    I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:Joking aside though, except in very specific circumstances, I only really re pot when the plants are young,...
    I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:Joking aside though, except in very specific circumstances,...
    I always tease my pot plants. I leave them out in the sun with a full watering can next to them, then on an evening I walk up to them carrying a watering can, tip it up, but it's empty :heehee:Joking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. TinyLondonGarden

Hedge help!

I'd go for Pittosporum, but tenuifolium variegatum or one of it's hybrids. They withstand hot sun and even drought, and form an attractive cone-shaped shrub without any pruning.
    I'd go for Pittosporum, but tenuifolium variegatum or one of it's hybrids. They withstand hot sun and even drought, and form an attractive cone-shaped shrub without any pruning.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Weedstoo

Creating a "woodland meadow" in garden?

@Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help if you filled in your location on the Personal Details page as that gives people at least a general...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help if you filled in your location on the Personal...
    @Weedstoo Mine have gone in mainly as plants and bulbs, the primroses, Fritillaria, geraniums, Anemone and possibly crocuses self seed through the grass and moss without a problem. It would help...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. EmFlu

New Gardener - Overwhelmed! (Photos)

I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts...
    I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts looking so hard for a scientific explanation that they overlook the obvious. The kind of person that...
    I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts looking so hard for a scientific explanation that...
    I remember that. There were theories that the co2 and moisture in your breath helps them, and theories that the vibration somehow stimulates cell growth. To me it's a classic case of the experts...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Matthew Rosen-Marsh

What to do with old soil

I just tip mine on top of the borders. If space is an issue just be aware that adding kitchen remains will eventually just give you greater bulk to get rid of.
    I just tip mine on top of the borders. If space is an issue just be aware that adding kitchen remains will eventually just give you greater bulk to get rid of.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Jazzbal007

Identification of hedges/plants and how to tidy

This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next...
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next weekend and get going on it.Thanks again all
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next weekend and get going on it.Thanks again all
    This is amazing advice everyone. What has started out as just something I wanted to do for the kids may have turned into a hobbyPossibly more questions to come but plan to start on this next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Jordon

New Gardener - New House - Advice Needed

Hello and welcome to GC forums @Jordon
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. landimad

Holiday

In Yorkshire there is a saying.If er tha does ought for nought, alas do it for tha sen.Or in modern English, if ever you do anything for nothing, always do it for yourself.
    In Yorkshire there is a saying.If er tha does ought for nought, alas do it for tha sen.Or in modern English, if ever you do anything for nothing, always do it for yourself.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. EmilyT01

Creating a garden from scratch... Where to start?!

I made a passible lawn from an area like that just by constant mowing, a treatment with lawn weedkiller once it began to look passible and then cut beds out to my requirements.
    I made a passible lawn from an area like that just by constant mowing, a treatment with lawn weedkiller once it began to look passible and then cut beds out to my requirements.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HackettLad

How do I know I’m overwatering?

I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the spent flower spikes can remain for many months, looking greyer, but still lovely (especially with an...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the spent flower spikes can remain for many months,...
    I think the slightly greyer flower spikes (like the one bottom right of the photo) are actually finished flower heads. Lavender is normally photographed in the first flush of flowers, but the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. doubleudee

Can I use the ash left over from the barbie?

I used to put all barbeque ash in the compost bin. There was enough creepy crawlies going through that stuff to avoid a mass extinction event. Not so much nowadays.....have a gas bbq
    I used to put all barbeque ash in the compost bin. There was enough creepy crawlies going through that stuff to avoid a mass extinction event. Not so much nowadays.....have a gas bbq
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Longarmedmonkey

New home, many opportunities

Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to...
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to start with.Mowing regularly will control and eliminate many lawn weeds too.
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to start with.Mowing regularly will control and...
    Depending on the size of your lawn you can weed it by hand. Some lawn weeds can be controlled by severing the root with a knife, other like dandelions need a long tool, a screwdriver will do to...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice