Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Andy Sumner

Feeding roses

When I had th eroses in my old house I just gave them a dose of chicken manure pellets and a compost mulch and they seemed happy enough.Rusty
    When I had th eroses in my old house I just gave them a dose of chicken manure pellets and a compost mulch and they seemed happy enough.Rusty
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. mbbx5va2

Advice on where to grow these shrubs and plants in my garden. pics attached

Thanks have updated
    Thanks have updated
    Thanks have updated
    Thanks have updated
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Newbie garden guy

New gardener vegetables in containers.

Just seen the temperatures are going to plunge from weekend. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring my sutton drawf broadbeans ondoors inside my front porch overnight and back out in...
    Just seen the temperatures are going to plunge from weekend. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring my sutton drawf broadbeans ondoors inside my front porch overnight and back out in the day. Until this cold front passes?
    Just seen the temperatures are going to plunge from weekend. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring my sutton drawf broadbeans ondoors inside my front porch overnight and back out in the day. Until this cold front passes?
    Just seen the temperatures are going to plunge from weekend. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to bring my sutton drawf broadbeans ondoors inside my front porch overnight and back out in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Aidan123G

Help needed for raised beds plant choice.

This looks better than any part of my garden.... I think its perfect and i dont see any need to dig it through, although it wouldnt do any harm if you did. Maybe you could find a few earthworms...
    This looks better than any part of my garden.... I think its perfect and i dont see any need to dig it through, although it wouldnt do any harm if you did. Maybe you could find a few earthworms and relocate them to the raised beds. They will then help you with your work
    This looks better than any part of my garden.... I think its perfect and i dont see any need to dig it through, although it wouldnt do any harm if you did. Maybe you could find a few earthworms and relocate them to the raised beds. They will...
    This looks better than any part of my garden.... I think its perfect and i dont see any need to dig it through, although it wouldnt do any harm if you did. Maybe you could find a few earthworms...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. SandyNI

Seedlings are not happy!

Thank you all so much for your help. I'm learning so much from this forum. After only 4 days with light (set just above!) all 400 seedlings are looking heaps better and all are starting to get new...
    Thank you all so much for your help. I'm learning so much from this forum. After only 4 days with light (set just above!) all 400 seedlings are looking heaps better and all are starting to get new leaves.... it's dead exciting..... I'm like a mother hen with her babies!
    Thank you all so much for your help. I'm learning so much from this forum. After only 4 days with light (set just above!) all 400 seedlings are looking heaps better and all are starting to get new leaves.... it's dead exciting..... I'm like a...
    Thank you all so much for your help. I'm learning so much from this forum. After only 4 days with light (set just above!) all 400 seedlings are looking heaps better and all are starting to get new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. gaqayigi

Shade Plants

That’s true flounder, but they do get some sun, possibly not enough, but think a very hard frost one night did for them.I will allow them time to recover, but dig out and re plant if not.
    That’s true flounder, but they do get some sun, possibly not enough, but think a very hard frost one night did for them.I will allow them time to recover, but dig out and re plant if not.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Jack72

Conservatory Climbing Plants

All sorts of factors come into play, don't they, @pete? Jack72 mentioned that it's a large conservatory, so if he's got a decent support system in place, the sky (or roof) is the limit :biggrin: It would...
    All sorts of factors come into play, don't they, @pete? Jack72 mentioned that it's a large conservatory, so if he's got a decent support system in place, the sky (or roof) is the limit :biggrin: It would be a start to narrow down the flower colour choice, and whether he wants scent. Will he be growing...
    All sorts of factors come into play, don't they, @pete? Jack72 mentioned that it's a large conservatory, so if he's got a decent support system in place, the sky (or roof) is the limit :biggrin: It would be a start to narrow down the flower colour...
    All sorts of factors come into play, don't they, @pete? Jack72 mentioned that it's a large conservatory, so if he's got a decent support system in place, the sky (or roof) is the limit :biggrin: It would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Philbo

Suggestions for plants to provide privacy

Some pictures I took last yearThe colour they start offAnd as they are growingThe pollinators love themWhen the flower drops off the seed pod starts to formAnd ends up...
    Some pictures I took last yearThe colour they start offAnd as they are growingThe pollinators love themWhen the flower drops off the seed pod starts to formAnd ends up like thisUnfortunately they almost never produce viable seeds as they tend to get rot inside...
    Some pictures I took last yearThe colour they start offAnd as they are growingThe pollinators love themWhen the flower drops off the seed pod starts to formAnd ends up like thisUnfortunately they almost never...
    Some pictures I took last yearThe colour they start offAnd as they are growingThe pollinators love themWhen the flower drops off the seed pod starts to formAnd ends up...
    P1490675.JPG P1490679.JPG P1490957.JPG P1490592.JPG P1500231.JPG P1500226.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Stanley2

Planting Nerine Bowdenii

Been transplanting some of mine in the last week. Neck and shoulders of the bulb above ground and you're good to go
    Been transplanting some of mine in the last week. Neck and shoulders of the bulb above ground and you're good to go
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Tara Jane

What’s this bush?!

Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Karen1986

Diosma pink fountain

Thanks both for your replies. I’ll try leaving it and see how it gets on!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Kevin Cowans

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' issue

That sounds ideal, Kevin :) I hope it does come back, but if not, good luck with the replacement!
    That sounds ideal, Kevin :) I hope it does come back, but if not, good luck with the replacement!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. mopucimu

Pruning a transplanted Lorapetalum

That would depend on the look that you are trying to achieve and whether it is starting to actively grow/bloom now. I would plan a light pruning for spring after the plants have finished...
    That would depend on the look that you are trying to achieve and whether it is starting to actively grow/bloom now. I would plan a light pruning for spring after the plants have finished flowering, otherwise, you risk cutting off the 2020 summer flower buds (which the transplanting may have...
    That would depend on the look that you are trying to achieve and whether it is starting to actively grow/bloom now. I would plan a light pruning for spring after the plants have finished flowering, otherwise, you risk cutting off the 2020 summer...
    That would depend on the look that you are trying to achieve and whether it is starting to actively grow/bloom now. I would plan a light pruning for spring after the plants have finished...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Oakapple

What to plant in new small bed under lilac tree

Yes, thanks, I shall wait. I think I need to wait for hostas as well ( haven’t seen any as yet) and think two or three will look good in the shade of a small apple tree I have incorporated into...
    Yes, thanks, I shall wait. I think I need to wait for hostas as well ( haven’t seen any as yet) and think two or three will look good in the shade of a small apple tree I have incorporated into the bed. Any recommendations?Ideally evergreen, or are they all evergreen?:)
    Yes, thanks, I shall wait. I think I need to wait for hostas as well ( haven’t seen any as yet) and think two or three will look good in the shade of a small apple tree I have incorporated into the bed. Any recommendations?Ideally evergreen, or...
    Yes, thanks, I shall wait. I think I need to wait for hostas as well ( haven’t seen any as yet) and think two or three will look good in the shade of a small apple tree I have incorporated into...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Supaspurds

Solve drainage issues - full process of amending clay soil/moss problem

I posted a while ago regarding our new garden and it's drainage issues. We were originally looking into land drains but are now considering trying to work the clay soil to improve it this way...
    I posted a while ago regarding our new garden and it's drainage issues. We were originally looking into land drains but are now considering trying to work the clay soil to improve it this way instead. It's a large space approx 50m x 20m so I understand the amount of labour intensive work this...
    I posted a while ago regarding our new garden and it's drainage issues. We were originally looking into land drains but are now considering trying to work the clay soil to improve it this way instead. It's a large space approx 50m x 20m so I...
    I posted a while ago regarding our new garden and it's drainage issues. We were originally looking into land drains but are now considering trying to work the clay soil to improve it this way...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Joshmyers

Grass seed

@Joshmyers Yes I would expect the grass to be here for the summer. However it will be on the fragile side and easily damaged; so I think next year before the kids can play on it.
    @Joshmyers Yes I would expect the grass to be here for the summer. However it will be on the fragile side and easily damaged; so I think next year before the kids can play on it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Ken Abbott

Best veg for south facing garden

If you're including herbs, then rosemary, thyme and chives are pretty bomb-proof even if you forget to water them.Do not under any circumstances introduce fennel or lemon balm into your garden...
    If you're including herbs, then rosemary, thyme and chives are pretty bomb-proof even if you forget to water them.Do not under any circumstances introduce fennel or lemon balm into your garden though. They self-seed like weeds, worse than dandelions, and you'll never shift them. If you really...
    If you're including herbs, then rosemary, thyme and chives are pretty bomb-proof even if you forget to water them.Do not under any circumstances introduce fennel or lemon balm into your garden though. They self-seed like weeds, worse than...
    If you're including herbs, then rosemary, thyme and chives are pretty bomb-proof even if you forget to water them.Do not under any circumstances introduce fennel or lemon balm into your garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. DK MacPhee

First ever greenhouse

Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer in the the Glasgow area. The names we've been given so far are all in the east but would prefer...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer in the the Glasgow area. The names we've been...
    Took on board the great advice on here and expecting a Simplicity Shugborough 6x8 in a couple of weeks. However we don't trust ourselves to put it up properly so we're now looking for an installer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. vadiro

Powdery mildew on apple tree?

Thank you for the answer. It looks like I'm worried too much.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Niall

Clay Lawn fix

When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging it’s the soil under the turf that’s the issue and while you could hollow tine and add a soil sand...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging it’s the soil under the turf that’s the issue and...
    When the turf was laid was there a layer of sub soil removed and then replaced with top soil and is this the clay structure you mentioned? Normally if there’s a pooling or feeling of water logging...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice