Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Ggg

Bareroot boxus hedge

The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted...
    The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted 100 at 5 plants per meter. I'm really pleased so far. I've pruned them so they get bushier. I'm...
    The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted 100 at 5 plants per meter. I'm really pleased so...
    The first year they looked rubbish. 2nd year they'd definitely grown. This year they've really filled in and grown loads. I only wanted a small height box border...about 25cm-30cm high. I planted...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. mogcat22

Frozen soil in plant pots in cold greenhouse

It wasn't duff information from you, I should have added that once thawed then some insulation would be a good idea. But as we both said moving to a frost free area would be the best thing to do.
    It wasn't duff information from you, I should have added that once thawed then some insulation would be a good idea. But as we both said moving to a frost free area would be the best thing to do.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Milto

Novice seeking help - Geraniums

P.s. for Pelargoniums, if you cannot tell the difference yet between, upright and trailing (ivy leaf), feel the leaf, if it feels soft and velvet like its an upright, if it feels thick and waxy...
    P.s. for Pelargoniums, if you cannot tell the difference yet between, upright and trailing (ivy leaf), feel the leaf, if it feels soft and velvet like its an upright, if it feels thick and waxy its a trailer, there are new types known as interspecific, which is a cross between the two, the...
    P.s. for Pelargoniums, if you cannot tell the difference yet between, upright and trailing (ivy leaf), feel the leaf, if it feels soft and velvet like its an upright, if it feels thick and waxy its a trailer, there are new types known as...
    P.s. for Pelargoniums, if you cannot tell the difference yet between, upright and trailing (ivy leaf), feel the leaf, if it feels soft and velvet like its an upright, if it feels thick and waxy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Max6389

Removing mint

Send for Amandii. He will do a quick reccy in his F35, give the odd nuke. Job done.:giggle:
    Send for Amandii. He will do a quick reccy in his F35, give the odd nuke. Job done.:giggle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sunny Sue

Which starter greenhouse please?

Gumtree,ebay or freecycle might get you the ideal one and for free ish . I got lucky with a free 8x8 Robinsons
    Gumtree,ebay or freecycle might get you the ideal one and for free ish . I got lucky with a free 8x8 Robinsons
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. frusabi

help with a swampy garden

Let us know how it goes please. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Sendme_sun

Osteospernum cuttings

Hello Noisette, The parent plants that I took the cutting from do seem to be healthier than the hardy ecklonis at the moment. Unfortunately the label doesn't say a type just that they are hardy...
    Hello Noisette, The parent plants that I took the cutting from do seem to be healthier than the hardy ecklonis at the moment. Unfortunately the label doesn't say a type just that they are hardy down to minus 5 which probably means in Scotland they won't survive. You never know though. It will be...
    Hello Noisette, The parent plants that I took the cutting from do seem to be healthier than the hardy ecklonis at the moment. Unfortunately the label doesn't say a type just that they are hardy down to minus 5 which probably means in Scotland...
    Hello Noisette, The parent plants that I took the cutting from do seem to be healthier than the hardy ecklonis at the moment. Unfortunately the label doesn't say a type just that they are hardy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Wildcat

Pruning Roses

You're more than welcome, Tony, and knowing that you will have a smile on your face when the Rose is looking good and flowering well next year is good enough for me.:love30::thumbsup::coffee:
    You're more than welcome, Tony, and knowing that you will have a smile on your face when the Rose is looking good and flowering well next year is good enough for me.:love30::thumbsup::coffee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Appleblossom31

Help with cyclamens please

Well one of my hederifolium is still going strong - it is a form with rather large flowers. And a cilicium seems to have started - which is a bit odd...
    Well one of my hederifolium is still going strong - it is a form with rather large flowers. And a cilicium seems to have started - which is a bit odd...
    20200827_075658.jpg 16049975317811839164176461464076.jpg 16049975698736962045193735247299.jpg CycCiliciumSm.jpg CycHederifoliumLargeSm.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Stuart Hurst

Bay Tree is having a bit of a hissy fit

Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with...
    Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with Pete the brown leaves meant it had dried out too much water the leaves go yellow ... is it in a sunny...
    Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with Pete the brown leaves meant it had dried out too...
    Hi bay trees are originally from the med , get the conditions right and they are easy to grow. Where about s are you in the uk as they do prefer the south rather than the north ... i agree with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. mbbx5va2

Pak Choi and Spring Onion Crop Protection

Thanks - will be growing for first time.Have been using beer cans for the slugs for other veg which is working well.the garden tunnel netting I have will hopefully protect against the birds
    Thanks - will be growing for first time.Have been using beer cans for the slugs for other veg which is working well.the garden tunnel netting I have will hopefully protect against the birds
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Choiseul

Struggling with a line of Box

Box naturally grows in chalky conditions I believe, Box Hill etc.I've got some box around the garden, grown from cuttings of wild trees. I think it grows a bit faster than the varieties you get...
    Box naturally grows in chalky conditions I believe, Box Hill etc.I've got some box around the garden, grown from cuttings of wild trees. I think it grows a bit faster than the varieties you get from garden centres. I also wonder if it is more pest and blight resistant as up to now I've never...
    Box naturally grows in chalky conditions I believe, Box Hill etc.I've got some box around the garden, grown from cuttings of wild trees. I think it grows a bit faster than the varieties you get from garden centres. I also wonder if it is more...
    Box naturally grows in chalky conditions I believe, Box Hill etc.I've got some box around the garden, grown from cuttings of wild trees. I think it grows a bit faster than the varieties you get...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Rayla

Pruning Honeysuckle

Thanks so much for your reply. I think I'll do the same in the spring and hope for the best. :-)
    Thanks so much for your reply. I think I'll do the same in the spring and hope for the best. :-)
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Emma Hooker

Astilbe younique pink - is it meant to look like this

If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe...
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe dig it up improve the soil with compost, replant and hopefully in the Spring all will be fine.
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe dig it up improve the soil with compost, replant...
    If you over water or have bad drainage the roots can rot. You could dig it up and examine the roots. I would have thought it would still have the lower leaves. Never grown these personally. Maybe...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Boltycr78

Struggling first timer

As above. A good lawn needs good initial preparation. Drainage particularly if it is in a low situation in relation to other gardens nearby. I would, as above, do a test dig. A new lawn will take...
    As above. A good lawn needs good initial preparation. Drainage particularly if it is in a low situation in relation to other gardens nearby. I would, as above, do a test dig. A new lawn will take a year or so to become tough enough for heavy traffic and even then only if it has been done...
    As above. A good lawn needs good initial preparation. Drainage particularly if it is in a low situation in relation to other gardens nearby. I would, as above, do a test dig. A new lawn will take a year or so to become tough enough for heavy...
    As above. A good lawn needs good initial preparation. Drainage particularly if it is in a low situation in relation to other gardens nearby. I would, as above, do a test dig. A new lawn will take...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Guy Greening

Any advice on growing in sand ?

Thanks @NigelJ i just brought some pots and fern trees off there
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Guy Greening

Any ideas about a palm tree and some frost

iv grown loads of them brown ones on the past few go yellow then brown trust me iv gota garden full of them if you want any let me no
    iv grown loads of them brown ones on the past few go yellow then brown trust me iv gota garden full of them if you want any let me no
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Appleblossom31

What to climb with my ivy on trees??

Thanks for the climber idea.. Something for me to think about
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. mogcat22

Yet another unknown bush!

Thank you so much - yes I think you are right! Found an image of Spirea Britannica and it looks just like that. Hope to now be able to give it some TLC.
    Thank you so much - yes I think you are right! Found an image of Spirea Britannica and it looks just like that. Hope to now be able to give it some TLC.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Rayla

Climbing Rose & Honeysuckle growing together

Thanks, I've got 3 to prune in total so I'll just cut them back in the winter months ready for next year.
    Thanks, I've got 3 to prune in total so I'll just cut them back in the winter months ready for next year.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice