1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. paul-kent

New gardener, new garden.

Welcome to GC Paul. I'm not sure 6ft is going to be wide enough for the crown spread of fruit trees. You could try growing espaliers against either the building or opposite fence.There are...
    Welcome to GC Paul. I'm not sure 6ft is going to be wide enough for the crown spread of fruit trees. You could try growing espaliers against either the building or opposite fence.There are buildings going up behind, are they likely to shut out the sun?Obviously you will have to clear the...
    Welcome to GC Paul. I'm not sure 6ft is going to be wide enough for the crown spread of fruit trees. You could try growing espaliers against either the building or opposite fence.There are buildings going up behind, are they likely to shut out...
    Welcome to GC Paul. I'm not sure 6ft is going to be wide enough for the crown spread of fruit trees. You could try growing espaliers against either the building or opposite fence.There are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Ockbrook_85

Coreopsis Early Sunrise

Hello BeeHappy!Many thanks for your message and advise regarding the coreopsis (and apologies for the late reply!). As you suggested, I'm going to cut back half of the plants this weekend - it...
    Hello BeeHappy!Many thanks for your message and advise regarding the coreopsis (and apologies for the late reply!). As you suggested, I'm going to cut back half of the plants this weekend - it seems that we have some warmer weather on the way so perhaps a good time to do it. If the plants...
    Hello BeeHappy!Many thanks for your message and advise regarding the coreopsis (and apologies for the late reply!). As you suggested, I'm going to cut back half of the plants this weekend - it seems that we have some warmer weather on the way...
    Hello BeeHappy!Many thanks for your message and advise regarding the coreopsis (and apologies for the late reply!). As you suggested, I'm going to cut back half of the plants this weekend - it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Tattianna

Nandina domestica, good choice or not?

Thank you JWK & Trunky....I'm glad I asked now. Space is at a premium in my garden and there really isn't room for a thug, I think I'll put it in the ground. As I understand it my soil is pretty...
    Thank you JWK & Trunky....I'm glad I asked now. Space is at a premium in my garden and there really isn't room for a thug, I think I'll put it in the ground. As I understand it my soil is pretty neutral and the spot when I'd like it to go is part shade and the soil moist but doesn't get...
    Thank you JWK & Trunky....I'm glad I asked now. Space is at a premium in my garden and there really isn't room for a thug, I think I'll put it in the ground. As I understand it my soil is pretty neutral and the spot when I'd like it to go is part...
    Thank you JWK & Trunky....I'm glad I asked now. Space is at a premium in my garden and there really isn't room for a thug, I think I'll put it in the ground. As I understand it my soil is pretty...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. fiwen30

Starting to mow again?

Gave my lawn a trim about 10 days ago,Same with mine @HarryS I was very disconsolate at its condition :thud::help:
    Gave my lawn a trim about 10 days ago,Same with mine @HarryS I was very disconsolate at its condition :thud::help:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Labinopper

Home allotment help please?

There is no escaping it, it will at first need digging by hand but with a little thought and determination (and a little help) it will soon become much much easier.If I was starting this project...
    There is no escaping it, it will at first need digging by hand but with a little thought and determination (and a little help) it will soon become much much easier.If I was starting this project in the growing season I would glyphosate (weedkiller) the whole area, as it would appear you want...
    There is no escaping it, it will at first need digging by hand but with a little thought and determination (and a little help) it will soon become much much easier.If I was starting this project in the growing season I would glyphosate...
    There is no escaping it, it will at first need digging by hand but with a little thought and determination (and a little help) it will soon become much much easier.If I was starting this project...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Niall

Newbe Lawn Help

Moss ran riot at mine this winter so I will be giving it the sulphate of iron,leave 2 weeks then scarify. Will be needing to reseed then might give the weeds a bashing after a few weeks giving the...
    Moss ran riot at mine this winter so I will be giving it the sulphate of iron,leave 2 weeks then scarify. Will be needing to reseed then might give the weeds a bashing after a few weeks giving the new grass time to bed in.I`ll leave the clover and buttercup alone as the bees love it and it...
    Moss ran riot at mine this winter so I will be giving it the sulphate of iron,leave 2 weeks then scarify. Will be needing to reseed then might give the weeds a bashing after a few weeks giving the new grass time to bed in.I`ll leave the clover...
    Moss ran riot at mine this winter so I will be giving it the sulphate of iron,leave 2 weeks then scarify. Will be needing to reseed then might give the weeds a bashing after a few weeks giving the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Lucy.P

Home-Brewed Killer

Not unless they've changed it since I researched it. That was the one main exclusion. Don't use near water. It is harmful to aquatic life.
    Not unless they've changed it since I researched it. That was the one main exclusion. Don't use near water. It is harmful to aquatic life.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. tangham

Starting Dahlias

I have a five tied cold frame that I never use might give it a try.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wren1

Calathea leaves shrivelling

Thanks, I'll try it then.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Super Lucyjin

Crocosmia/Montbretia

Fortunately for us Croc fans :yay: some of the newer smaller flowering varieties are know to be less invasiveWhich ones to choose for your garden Early summerAurea with orange red flowers 'Mars'...
    Fortunately for us Croc fans :yay: some of the newer smaller flowering varieties are know to be less invasiveWhich ones to choose for your garden Early summerAurea with orange red flowers 'Mars' with reddish-toned flowers 'George Davison' with lovely warm orange tones 'Solfatare' with...
    Fortunately for us Croc fans :yay: some of the newer smaller flowering varieties are know to be less invasiveWhich ones to choose for your garden Early summerAurea with orange red flowers 'Mars' with reddish-toned flowers 'George Davison' with...
    Fortunately for us Croc fans :yay: some of the newer smaller flowering varieties are know to be less invasiveWhich ones to choose for your garden Early summerAurea with orange red flowers 'Mars'...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. wickerman999

New build garden ideas

Hi Wickerman,In the sunny spot you mentioned you could put some sun flowers, you could even let the kids plant them and watch them grow. Maybe put some trellis on the fence and grow some...
    Hi Wickerman,In the sunny spot you mentioned you could put some sun flowers, you could even let the kids plant them and watch them grow. Maybe put some trellis on the fence and grow some climbers up.Rusty
    Hi Wickerman,In the sunny spot you mentioned you could put some sun flowers, you could even let the kids plant them and watch them grow. Maybe put some trellis on the fence and grow some climbers up.Rusty
    Hi Wickerman,In the sunny spot you mentioned you could put some sun flowers, you could even let the kids plant them and watch them grow. Maybe put some trellis on the fence and grow some...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. cathymoon

Growing lights

Same with brassicas too, I started some Cabbages a month ago and they looked quite poorly under the lights. They have perked up a bit since I moved them into my unheated greenhouse.
    Same with brassicas too, I started some Cabbages a month ago and they looked quite poorly under the lights. They have perked up a bit since I moved them into my unheated greenhouse.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. AndyW72

Starting seeds...

Hi and :sign0016: @AndyW72here's two really good links - hope they prove useful as they have some excellent innovative money saving ideas too :)@"M" :goodpost:
    Hi and :sign0016: @AndyW72here's two really good links - hope they prove useful as they have some excellent innovative money saving ideas too :)@"M" :goodpost:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. PaulS

Flowers for a Wedding - plant in March, bloom for June

So glad you joined the discussion @CharlieBot - I recalled your thread last year but couldn't find it to link to: it was a very interesting one too :)I agree, but the OP wasn't asking just for cut...
    So glad you joined the discussion @CharlieBot - I recalled your thread last year but couldn't find it to link to: it was a very interesting one too :)I agree, but the OP wasn't asking just for cut flowers ... ... ... the petals from Oriental Poppies could be scattered, randomly, on the tables...
    So glad you joined the discussion @CharlieBot - I recalled your thread last year but couldn't find it to link to: it was a very interesting one too :)I agree, but the OP wasn't asking just for cut flowers ... ... ... the petals from Oriental...
    So glad you joined the discussion @CharlieBot - I recalled your thread last year but couldn't find it to link to: it was a very interesting one too :)I agree, but the OP wasn't asking just for cut...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. cathymoon

Lettuce seedlings

It's not unusual for them to sprout within a few days; that is why some varieties of lettuce are used for micro greens.During winter time when salads are expensive, have you thought of growing...
    It's not unusual for them to sprout within a few days; that is why some varieties of lettuce are used for micro greens.During winter time when salads are expensive, have you thought of growing sprouting seeds and micro greens? From seed to plate in days :blue thumb: (ok, maybe a week :heehee: ) There's an...
    It's not unusual for them to sprout within a few days; that is why some varieties of lettuce are used for micro greens.During winter time when salads are expensive, have you thought of growing sprouting seeds and micro greens? From seed to...
    It's not unusual for them to sprout within a few days; that is why some varieties of lettuce are used for micro greens.During winter time when salads are expensive, have you thought of growing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Smudgedhorizon

Heavy clay drainage help

Mattocks are brilliant. See if you can find an old one though. I think the newer ones are inferior in their design, if not their quality.
    Mattocks are brilliant. See if you can find an old one though. I think the newer ones are inferior in their design, if not their quality.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. PaulS

Gladiolus & Ranunculus in Early June

Sheal - thanks you so much for your reply, it is very useful.You mentioned growing from seed - are seed grown plants any more likely than bulbs to flower at the beginning of June?JazzSi - that...
    Sheal - thanks you so much for your reply, it is very useful.You mentioned growing from seed - are seed grown plants any more likely than bulbs to flower at the beginning of June?JazzSi - that might be, but presumably there is an optimum window (of weeks or months) that will give the best...
    Sheal - thanks you so much for your reply, it is very useful.You mentioned growing from seed - are seed grown plants any more likely than bulbs to flower at the beginning of June?JazzSi - that might be, but presumably there is an optimum...
    Sheal - thanks you so much for your reply, it is very useful.You mentioned growing from seed - are seed grown plants any more likely than bulbs to flower at the beginning of June?JazzSi - that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. cathymoon

Soil for regrowing leeks

Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. wren1

When to sow outside

It does rather depend on where in the country you are and what species of seed that you've bought.If they're happy they can spread but if they're not happy they will disappear without trace....
    It does rather depend on where in the country you are and what species of seed that you've bought.If they're happy they can spread but if they're not happy they will disappear without trace. They dislike very wet soils and soils that dry out quickly.
    It does rather depend on where in the country you are and what species of seed that you've bought.If they're happy they can spread but if they're not happy they will disappear without trace. They dislike very wet soils and soils that dry out...
    It does rather depend on where in the country you are and what species of seed that you've bought.If they're happy they can spread but if they're not happy they will disappear without trace....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. bigbore

pruning

I was thinking about trimming my honeysuckle too but too hesitant as to when I should be doing it. Thank you for all your advice! :)
    I was thinking about trimming my honeysuckle too but too hesitant as to when I should be doing it. Thank you for all your advice! :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice