1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. bigbore

pruning

I was thinking about trimming my honeysuckle too but too hesitant as to when I should be doing it. Thank you for all your advice! :)
    I was thinking about trimming my honeysuckle too but too hesitant as to when I should be doing it. Thank you for all your advice! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. amatos

First garden and looking for advice

You've got a decent garden there for a first home!I moved into my first house in summer and the forum has been so helpful! "M"'s advice is good, but my garden is in the front (it's rare to even...
    You've got a decent garden there for a first home!I moved into my first house in summer and the forum has been so helpful! "M"'s advice is good, but my garden is in the front (it's rare to even have a garden in my type of house in my area - all terraces) so I felt I had to get stuck in...
    You've got a decent garden there for a first home!I moved into my first house in summer and the forum has been so helpful! "M"'s advice is good, but my garden is in the front (it's rare to even have a garden in my type of house in my area - all...
    You've got a decent garden there for a first home!I moved into my first house in summer and the forum has been so helpful! "M"'s advice is good, but my garden is in the front (it's rare to even...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. luciusmaximus

Advice for flowering climber please

We grow them anywhere - beds, pots, baskets etc. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Br4dz
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Nellybobs
    Like x 4

Newbie needing a new start..

That may work but the big problem Iv got is that the garden slopes away from the house and to lay turf I'm going to need to move a load of Earth from the rear of the garden and use it to level the...
    That may work but the big problem Iv got is that the garden slopes away from the house and to lay turf I'm going to need to move a load of Earth from the rear of the garden and use it to level the middle where I want to turf... Also earth will be moved from the front to the middle to even it...
    That may work but the big problem Iv got is that the garden slopes away from the house and to lay turf I'm going to need to move a load of Earth from the rear of the garden and use it to level the middle where I want to turf... Also earth will be...
    That may work but the big problem Iv got is that the garden slopes away from the house and to lay turf I'm going to need to move a load of Earth from the rear of the garden and use it to level the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. KyreCookie
    Like x 3

Wall baskets

Its a long time off planting a summer display Kyre Cookie . The time to plant up a basket outside is early May . Beckies suggestions above will be perfect . The garden centres and supermarkets...
    Its a long time off planting a summer display Kyre Cookie . The time to plant up a basket outside is early May . Beckies suggestions above will be perfect . The garden centres and supermarkets will be full of these in late April. As Wee Tam said use water crystals and slow release feed ( the...
    Its a long time off planting a summer display Kyre Cookie . The time to plant up a basket outside is early May . Beckies suggestions above will be perfect . The garden centres and supermarkets will be full of these in late April. As Wee Tam said...
    Its a long time off planting a summer display Kyre Cookie . The time to plant up a basket outside is early May . Beckies suggestions above will be perfect . The garden centres and supermarkets...
    20160213_133102.jpg Pansy-Delta-Mix-With-Blotch.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Morgan1979

Moss in a new/young lawn

When did you sow it? At this time of year, it should either be quite well underway (if sown by the start of last autumn) or not even started yet.Did you prepare the ground before sowing? if so,...
    When did you sow it? At this time of year, it should either be quite well underway (if sown by the start of last autumn) or not even started yet.Did you prepare the ground before sowing? if so, how? Is there anything casting shade on the lawn, such as large trees?All of these factors have an...
    When did you sow it? At this time of year, it should either be quite well underway (if sown by the start of last autumn) or not even started yet.Did you prepare the ground before sowing? if so, how? Is there anything casting shade on the lawn,...
    When did you sow it? At this time of year, it should either be quite well underway (if sown by the start of last autumn) or not even started yet.Did you prepare the ground before sowing? if so,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. "M"

Sweet Pea

Good evening @"M" my friend it sounds like a belt and braces deal to me my friend, plant some seeds, you can sow some now indoors just in case
    Good evening @"M" my friend it sounds like a belt and braces deal to me my friend, plant some seeds, you can sow some now indoors just in case
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. "M"

Nasturtium advice please

By the way, had so many in the above pots, had to break out a third to thin out the crowd
    By the way, had so many in the above pots, had to break out a third to thin out the crowd
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. AndyW72

A couple of questions

I'd take a chance and prune out the older canes, hopefully you can still see the remains of the flower bearing branches - the older canes will also be a darker colour.From the RHS:
    I'd take a chance and prune out the older canes, hopefully you can still see the remains of the flower bearing branches - the older canes will also be a darker colour.From the RHS:
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. JohnD

Can i use 100% vermicompost for seedlings

French Lavender grown from seed in a 8.5cm pot.I don't want to contradict the advice already given above because it is good general advice, however, it is possible to propagate plants from...
    French Lavender grown from seed in a 8.5cm pot.I don't want to contradict the advice already given above because it is good general advice, however, it is possible to propagate plants from seed sown directly into vermicompost (aka worm-made compost).I haven't tried it for lavender but it...
    French Lavender grown from seed in a 8.5cm pot.I don't want to contradict the advice already given above because it is good general advice, however, it is possible to propagate plants from seed sown directly into vermicompost (aka worm-made...
    French Lavender grown from seed in a 8.5cm pot.I don't want to contradict the advice already given above because it is good general advice, however, it is possible to propagate plants from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. The Early Bushman

Chili seedling leaves with brown tips and curling up

The average temp is 15 degrees celsius, on a south facing window sill so they get plenty of light. In regards to watering i have been spraying them with a mist keeping the soil moist really every...
    The average temp is 15 degrees celsius, on a south facing window sill so they get plenty of light. In regards to watering i have been spraying them with a mist keeping the soil moist really every 2 days. I think i might have the same problem then @Scrungee
    The average temp is 15 degrees celsius, on a south facing window sill so they get plenty of light. In regards to watering i have been spraying them with a mist keeping the soil moist really every 2 days. I think i might have the same problem then...
    The average temp is 15 degrees celsius, on a south facing window sill so they get plenty of light. In regards to watering i have been spraying them with a mist keeping the soil moist really every...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. wren1

Is ash good for soil?

I make my own comfrey liquid feed and I swap some of this for ashes from a wood burning stove with another plot holder, with this I make another liquid feed.Half fill a bucket with the wood ash,...
    I make my own comfrey liquid feed and I swap some of this for ashes from a wood burning stove with another plot holder, with this I make another liquid feed.Half fill a bucket with the wood ash, top up with water and leave for a few weeks. Drain off the liquid, allow to settle and bottle....
    I make my own comfrey liquid feed and I swap some of this for ashes from a wood burning stove with another plot holder, with this I make another liquid feed.Half fill a bucket with the wood ash, top up with water and leave for a few weeks....
    I make my own comfrey liquid feed and I swap some of this for ashes from a wood burning stove with another plot holder, with this I make another liquid feed.Half fill a bucket with the wood ash,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. freeflow

how can i make ossier willow cuttings grow more branches

I actually had great success with willow (Salix integra) rooting in just water on my kitchen windowsill! I eventually repotted into soil. They grew tall and straggly so I chopped a good 6+ inches...
    I actually had great success with willow (Salix integra) rooting in just water on my kitchen windowsill! I eventually repotted into soil. They grew tall and straggly so I chopped a good 6+ inches of growth off the top and they started branching out brilliantly.
    I actually had great success with willow (Salix integra) rooting in just water on my kitchen windowsill! I eventually repotted into soil. They grew tall and straggly so I chopped a good 6+ inches of growth off the top and they started branching...
    I actually had great success with willow (Salix integra) rooting in just water on my kitchen windowsill! I eventually repotted into soil. They grew tall and straggly so I chopped a good 6+ inches...
    image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. xf8u39

Advice needed with two of my plants

My big avocado it`s 5 years old , doing really well but not outside yet , they can only cope with -5c when big enough , male or female will not matter as they will not set fruit unless giving the...
    My big avocado it`s 5 years old , doing really well but not outside yet , they can only cope with -5c when big enough , male or female will not matter as they will not set fruit unless giving the right heat , but that is not impossible , giving 10/15 years in pot . The yucca rostrata , many of...
    My big avocado it`s 5 years old , doing really well but not outside yet , they can only cope with -5c when big enough , male or female will not matter as they will not set fruit unless giving the right heat , but that is not impossible , giving...
    My big avocado it`s 5 years old , doing really well but not outside yet , they can only cope with -5c when big enough , male or female will not matter as they will not set fruit unless giving the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Anth

Clematis Montana and Madeleine angevine grapes seeds.

Thanks will leave them where they are then cheers.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. CaptainBennett

Tips for a wet, soggy lawn

Ok, fair enough. Yes, it's a small area, but the garden itself is small. I live in a mid terrace, so hemmed in on either side by neighbouring gardens. Can't really do anything about that, apart...
    Ok, fair enough. Yes, it's a small area, but the garden itself is small. I live in a mid terrace, so hemmed in on either side by neighbouring gardens. Can't really do anything about that, apart from buying a new home!I'd prefer to have a nice-looking green grassy area than covering the whole...
    Ok, fair enough. Yes, it's a small area, but the garden itself is small. I live in a mid terrace, so hemmed in on either side by neighbouring gardens. Can't really do anything about that, apart from buying a new home!I'd prefer to have a...
    Ok, fair enough. Yes, it's a small area, but the garden itself is small. I live in a mid terrace, so hemmed in on either side by neighbouring gardens. Can't really do anything about that, apart...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. CaptainBennett

What's eating my plans?

Ha! Very true - I already have problems with my plans for the garden without slugs eating away at them too!
    Ha! Very true - I already have problems with my plans for the garden without slugs eating away at them too!
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. bigbore

acer tree prune

Crossing branches are those that overlap another one and those branches will eventually rub together creating damage. Think of it like crossing your fingers. :)
    Crossing branches are those that overlap another one and those branches will eventually rub together creating damage. Think of it like crossing your fingers. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. KyreCookie

ID Help

Thanks all for the advice, I have a narrow border down one side of the garden against the fence so the idea is to grow as many mixed climbers as I can once the spring arrives. Its maybe 10 inches...
    Thanks all for the advice, I have a narrow border down one side of the garden against the fence so the idea is to grow as many mixed climbers as I can once the spring arrives. Its maybe 10 inches wide so Im thinking up rather than out is the way to go there.The rate this is growing I dont...
    Thanks all for the advice, I have a narrow border down one side of the garden against the fence so the idea is to grow as many mixed climbers as I can once the spring arrives. Its maybe 10 inches wide so Im thinking up rather than out is the way...
    Thanks all for the advice, I have a narrow border down one side of the garden against the fence so the idea is to grow as many mixed climbers as I can once the spring arrives. Its maybe 10 inches...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice