1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Alan Cameron

Hydrangea Colouring

Just a random thought...Hydrangeas can be red, pink, blue, white, and variants of those colours.Blue hydrangeas will turn pink if the soil is alkaline. Hence the special feed to keep them...
    Just a random thought...Hydrangeas can be red, pink, blue, white, and variants of those colours.Blue hydrangeas will turn pink if the soil is alkaline. Hence the special feed to keep them 'true blue'. However, if you have a pink hydrangea, no amount of acidifying the soil will make it flower...
    Just a random thought...Hydrangeas can be red, pink, blue, white, and variants of those colours.Blue hydrangeas will turn pink if the soil is alkaline. Hence the special feed to keep them 'true blue'. However, if you have a pink hydrangea, no...
    Just a random thought...Hydrangeas can be red, pink, blue, white, and variants of those colours.Blue hydrangeas will turn pink if the soil is alkaline. Hence the special feed to keep them...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. aeinhardt

Guide for potted plants.

Hi aeinhardt hope these might help you..
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Slinky84

Lawn holding water

I think the problem is the water table is quite high, combined with clay. I do have an airator which I use on a regular bases but I think O need to actually raise the ground level slightly over time
    I think the problem is the water table is quite high, combined with clay. I do have an airator which I use on a regular bases but I think O need to actually raise the ground level slightly over time
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. wren1

What's this weird egg formation?!

Ah yes, I think I've seen them in the garden. Thanks!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. bigbore

Lawn laying

Within October as a rule of thumb, the sooner the better though. It will allow more time to become established before Xmas and you may be able to get a cut or two in before the end of the year....
    Within October as a rule of thumb, the sooner the better though. It will allow more time to become established before Xmas and you may be able to get a cut or two in before the end of the year. Your first cut should only be a very light trim and at least a minimum of 4-6 weeks after turfing.
    Within October as a rule of thumb, the sooner the better though. It will allow more time to become established before Xmas and you may be able to get a cut or two in before the end of the year. Your first cut should only be a very light trim and...
    Within October as a rule of thumb, the sooner the better though. It will allow more time to become established before Xmas and you may be able to get a cut or two in before the end of the year....
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Rapha

Star jasmine

Sorry Rapha, I think you may find it will struggle. They prefer full sun and a milder region as they are prone to frost damage.
    Sorry Rapha, I think you may find it will struggle. They prefer full sun and a milder region as they are prone to frost damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. gill75

Cleaning a polycarbonate greenhouse

Thanks so much .
    Thanks so much .
    Thanks so much .
    Thanks so much .
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. NewBhoy

Buddleja rescue mission advice

Excellent, thanks all.
    Excellent, thanks all.
    Excellent, thanks all.
    Excellent, thanks all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Scoffy

Shredded conifer as mulch

Anything laid over tender plants will help but I would be a bit loathe to lay conifer branches as they're fairly heavy and may damage them. If they're really tender plants then a better organised...
    Anything laid over tender plants will help but I would be a bit loathe to lay conifer branches as they're fairly heavy and may damage them. If they're really tender plants then a better organised arrangement should be made - fleece or other protection.
    Anything laid over tender plants will help but I would be a bit loathe to lay conifer branches as they're fairly heavy and may damage them. If they're really tender plants then a better organised arrangement should be made - fleece or other...
    Anything laid over tender plants will help but I would be a bit loathe to lay conifer branches as they're fairly heavy and may damage them. If they're really tender plants then a better organised...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. NewBhoy

Another rescue mission! Identification and advice.

Hi Anthony, yes there are a few new leaves that have a reddish tint to them. I had a google and a chat with the neighbour and I think you are right that it is a Forest Flame. It looks healthy in...
    Hi Anthony, yes there are a few new leaves that have a reddish tint to them. I had a google and a chat with the neighbour and I think you are right that it is a Forest Flame. It looks healthy in it's new spot, and as I say we got a really large part of the root so it should hopeful take well....
    Hi Anthony, yes there are a few new leaves that have a reddish tint to them. I had a google and a chat with the neighbour and I think you are right that it is a Forest Flame. It looks healthy in it's new spot, and as I say we got a really large...
    Hi Anthony, yes there are a few new leaves that have a reddish tint to them. I had a google and a chat with the neighbour and I think you are right that it is a Forest Flame. It looks healthy in...
    IMG_6863.JPG IMG_6864.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Scoffy

North facing wall

It was a while ago that I looked at climbers so my memory is a bit hazy but I *think* that ivy, Virginia creeper, honeysuckle and clematis were all ok for North facing walls/shade. I'm going to...
    It was a while ago that I looked at climbers so my memory is a bit hazy but I *think* that ivy, Virginia creeper, honeysuckle and clematis were all ok for North facing walls/shade. I'm going to need one on the side of the garage at some point!
    It was a while ago that I looked at climbers so my memory is a bit hazy but I *think* that ivy, Virginia creeper, honeysuckle and clematis were all ok for North facing walls/shade. I'm going to need one on the side of the garage at some point!
    It was a while ago that I looked at climbers so my memory is a bit hazy but I *think* that ivy, Virginia creeper, honeysuckle and clematis were all ok for North facing walls/shade. I'm going to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Scoffy

Wood ash

Hi Harry & :sign0016:,You could put it in the compost bins,& I believe if you put it around your fruit trees/bushes & plants it will help the fruit swell. You could also rotovate it into your land, I've...
    Hi Harry & :sign0016:,You could put it in the compost bins,& I believe if you put it around your fruit trees/bushes & plants it will help the fruit swell. You could also rotovate it into your land, I've put quite a lot on my veggie patch, we have clay soil which is obviously very heavy, an old man...
    Hi Harry & :sign0016:,You could put it in the compost bins,& I believe if you put it around your fruit trees/bushes & plants it will help the fruit swell. You could also rotovate it into your land, I've put quite a lot on my veggie patch, we have clay...
    Hi Harry & :sign0016:,You could put it in the compost bins,& I believe if you put it around your fruit trees/bushes & plants it will help the fruit swell. You could also rotovate it into your land, I've...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Rapha

Watering

Not all plants in pots like to sit in a saucer, but when growing actively in the summer it's a good idea for your choices. Take the saucer away over winter and raise the pot so the roots don't freeze.
    Not all plants in pots like to sit in a saucer, but when growing actively in the summer it's a good idea for your choices. Take the saucer away over winter and raise the pot so the roots don't freeze.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. nutz

oh dear grandson has flummoxed me

Purple Sprouting BroccoliMizuna :)
    DSCN1892.JPG DSCN1893.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Rapha

Where to put?

Leave them outside. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Daviemac

Help identify these plants

Picture 2 & 4 Chrysanthemums 1 & 3 either chrysanthemum or osteospermum I think. Hope this helps.
    Picture 2 & 4 Chrysanthemums 1 & 3 either chrysanthemum or osteospermum I think. Hope this helps.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Michael Dean

Books

Good bog reading that one :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Zola

Buidling a small walk way onto small front lawn.

Not quite the same, but last year I laid a slab path across the edge of a small lawn and also use it to get the mower on to the lawn.Instead of trying to make an edging to stop the slabs moving...
    Not quite the same, but last year I laid a slab path across the edge of a small lawn and also use it to get the mower on to the lawn.Instead of trying to make an edging to stop the slabs moving I used angle iron at the sides. I just cut the iron into 9" pieces and hammered them into the soil...
    Not quite the same, but last year I laid a slab path across the edge of a small lawn and also use it to get the mower on to the lawn.Instead of trying to make an edging to stop the slabs moving I used angle iron at the sides. I just cut the...
    Not quite the same, but last year I laid a slab path across the edge of a small lawn and also use it to get the mower on to the lawn.Instead of trying to make an edging to stop the slabs moving...
    1.jpg P1210862.JPG P1210863.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Rapha

Which type of pot?

Good morning @Rapha I'm not at all sure it could be a permanent fixture in a pot but this link might help you my friendStar jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) With its glossy evergreen...
    Good morning @Rapha I'm not at all sure it could be a permanent fixture in a pot but this link might help you my friendStar jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) With its glossy evergreen foliage and wonderfully sweet white flowers in summer, star jasmine deserves a spot in any garden...
    Good morning @Rapha I'm not at all sure it could be a permanent fixture in a pot but this link might help you my friendStar jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) With its glossy evergreen foliage and wonderfully sweet white flowers in...
    Good morning @Rapha I'm not at all sure it could be a permanent fixture in a pot but this link might help you my friendStar jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) With its glossy evergreen...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Gaby

Prunus planting :-)

Welcome to Gardeners Corner Gaby. :) There is no need for two stakes as it allows the tree some movement when it's windy. The stake is best close to the tree and on the side of the prevailing wind...
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Gaby. :) There is no need for two stakes as it allows the tree some movement when it's windy. The stake is best close to the tree and on the side of the prevailing wind which will allow it's trunk to move away from the stake and lessen any damage from rubbing. As you...
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Gaby. :) There is no need for two stakes as it allows the tree some movement when it's windy. The stake is best close to the tree and on the side of the prevailing wind which will allow it's trunk to move away from the...
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Gaby. :) There is no need for two stakes as it allows the tree some movement when it's windy. The stake is best close to the tree and on the side of the prevailing wind...
    119.JPG 087.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice