1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Dark Knight

Shrub / Flower planning on borders - Any website out there ?

Hi there,I've lived in my home for over 10 years but never really made an attempt at making a positive change to the garden. Every year it's more or less fire fighting of weeds and the mowing...
    Hi there,I've lived in my home for over 10 years but never really made an attempt at making a positive change to the garden. Every year it's more or less fire fighting of weeds and the mowing the lawn.So call it 'mid life crisis' but I've really take to gardening over the past few weeks...
    Hi there,I've lived in my home for over 10 years but never really made an attempt at making a positive change to the garden. Every year it's more or less fire fighting of weeds and the mowing the lawn.So call it 'mid life crisis' but I've...
    Hi there,I've lived in my home for over 10 years but never really made an attempt at making a positive change to the garden. Every year it's more or less fire fighting of weeds and the mowing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. bigbore

Top soil

I would go for the gravel for the first 200mm, that should get the cost down a bit.
    I would go for the gravel for the first 200mm, that should get the cost down a bit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Barders

Do I need to add anything to the soil?

Thanks Spruce, white would be nice, I can feel a trip to the garden center next weekend coming on!Thanks again. :dbgrtmb:
    Thanks Spruce, white would be nice, I can feel a trip to the garden center next weekend coming on!Thanks again. :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Sixtie7

Bonemeal?

im due to be planting up (and building!) my raised border beds in a week or so they're going to be dug low, covered with a thick weed proof membrane (recommended by garden centre - it's like a...
    im due to be planting up (and building!) my raised border beds in a week or so they're going to be dug low, covered with a thick weed proof membrane (recommended by garden centre - it's like a woven pvc type stuff) and filled with top soil, miracle grow compost and ordinary compost so in all the...
    im due to be planting up (and building!) my raised border beds in a week or so they're going to be dug low, covered with a thick weed proof membrane (recommended by garden centre - it's like a woven pvc type stuff) and filled with top soil,...
    im due to be planting up (and building!) my raised border beds in a week or so they're going to be dug low, covered with a thick weed proof membrane (recommended by garden centre - it's like a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Badflaw

First time buyer. My first Garden.Needs modernising.Where to start!:-)

Hi, i'm a fellow gardening newbie also attempting to spruce up a garden. I was really intimidated at first due to knowing so little (and my garden is much smaller than yours!) so I decided to just...
    Hi, i'm a fellow gardening newbie also attempting to spruce up a garden. I was really intimidated at first due to knowing so little (and my garden is much smaller than yours!) so I decided to just keep things neat and tidy until I felt confident enough to get going (about 6 months later). In...
    Hi, i'm a fellow gardening newbie also attempting to spruce up a garden. I was really intimidated at first due to knowing so little (and my garden is much smaller than yours!) so I decided to just keep things neat and tidy until I felt confident...
    Hi, i'm a fellow gardening newbie also attempting to spruce up a garden. I was really intimidated at first due to knowing so little (and my garden is much smaller than yours!) so I decided to just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Sixtie7

Bamboo

The date palm will not survive a winter outside if planted in the ground. Might be ok to plant it in a pot and then move to a sheltered position in winter. I'd leave all your plants in the pots...
    The date palm will not survive a winter outside if planted in the ground. Might be ok to plant it in a pot and then move to a sheltered position in winter. I'd leave all your plants in the pots till your bed is ready.
    The date palm will not survive a winter outside if planted in the ground. Might be ok to plant it in a pot and then move to a sheltered position in winter. I'd leave all your plants in the pots till your bed is ready.
    The date palm will not survive a winter outside if planted in the ground. Might be ok to plant it in a pot and then move to a sheltered position in winter. I'd leave all your plants in the pots...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Ellenwarren321

Weed or plant please help

Brilliant thank you
    Brilliant thank you
    Brilliant thank you
    Brilliant thank you
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Barders

Is there still life?

Thanks Spruce, that is a great idea, I will talk to some of the my neighbours and see if we can plant something like that to make it beautiful again.I think one of us, possibly me, is going to...
    Thanks Spruce, that is a great idea, I will talk to some of the my neighbours and see if we can plant something like that to make it beautiful again.I think one of us, possibly me, is going to have to speak with them personally, it just seems so odd, we wonder if there is something going on,...
    Thanks Spruce, that is a great idea, I will talk to some of the my neighbours and see if we can plant something like that to make it beautiful again.I think one of us, possibly me, is going to have to speak with them personally, it just seems...
    Thanks Spruce, that is a great idea, I will talk to some of the my neighbours and see if we can plant something like that to make it beautiful again.I think one of us, possibly me, is going to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Sixtie7

taking cuttings from a woody shrub

It all depends on what shrub you have.Many will take if you look for the new growth, snip some tips so that you have pieces 5 or 6 inches long, remove the bottom leaves keeping at least 4 and...
    It all depends on what shrub you have.Many will take if you look for the new growth, snip some tips so that you have pieces 5 or 6 inches long, remove the bottom leaves keeping at least 4 and then put them into pots of moist compost. Put something longer into the pot so that you can cover...
    It all depends on what shrub you have.Many will take if you look for the new growth, snip some tips so that you have pieces 5 or 6 inches long, remove the bottom leaves keeping at least 4 and then put them into pots of moist compost. Put...
    It all depends on what shrub you have.Many will take if you look for the new growth, snip some tips so that you have pieces 5 or 6 inches long, remove the bottom leaves keeping at least 4 and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. MissAgapanthus
    Like x 4

Rental Garden in London Town

Starting a new garden is so exciting but so is the developing and changing. Keep up the good work, it's looking good. Maybe once he's tasted "just out of the garden" your boyfriend will get to...
    Starting a new garden is so exciting but so is the developing and changing. Keep up the good work, it's looking good. Maybe once he's tasted "just out of the garden" your boyfriend will get to enjoy vegetables too.
    Starting a new garden is so exciting but so is the developing and changing. Keep up the good work, it's looking good. Maybe once he's tasted "just out of the garden" your boyfriend will get to enjoy vegetables too.
    Starting a new garden is so exciting but so is the developing and changing. Keep up the good work, it's looking good. Maybe once he's tasted "just out of the garden" your boyfriend will get to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. MissAgapanthus

Japanese Knotweed. Maybe. What do I do?

Sadly it does look like japanese knotweed to me. It is a bit of a ****er to get rid of. The shoots are so strong they can break through patio's, drains etc so you do need to try to get on top of...
    Sadly it does look like japanese knotweed to me. It is a bit of a ****er to get rid of. The shoots are so strong they can break through patio's, drains etc so you do need to try to get on top of it. Your landlord could be held liable (I think) if the knotweed escapes from their property and...
    Sadly it does look like japanese knotweed to me. It is a bit of a ****er to get rid of. The shoots are so strong they can break through patio's, drains etc so you do need to try to get on top of it. Your landlord could be held liable (I think)...
    Sadly it does look like japanese knotweed to me. It is a bit of a ****er to get rid of. The shoots are so strong they can break through patio's, drains etc so you do need to try to get on top of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Debra

Planter dilemma!!

How about a Sarcococca, it's a glossy dark evergreen shrub, pretty indestructible, thrives in shade, has the most wonderful scent all winter and black berries in spring. For added prettiness in...
    How about a Sarcococca, it's a glossy dark evergreen shrub, pretty indestructible, thrives in shade, has the most wonderful scent all winter and black berries in spring. For added prettiness in summer how about some solar fairy lights or simply plant a couple of annual climbers in spring to wind...
    How about a Sarcococca, it's a glossy dark evergreen shrub, pretty indestructible, thrives in shade, has the most wonderful scent all winter and black berries in spring. For added prettiness in summer how about some solar fairy lights or simply...
    How about a Sarcococca, it's a glossy dark evergreen shrub, pretty indestructible, thrives in shade, has the most wonderful scent all winter and black berries in spring. For added prettiness in...
    sarcococca close up flower (2).JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Gareth Hughes

Planting summer flowering bulbs.

Thanks a lot. I'll start from tomorrow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. bigbore

Aubrieta

PS.... All the growth overhanging the wall will be cut off with shears level with the top of the wall to grow back during the summer.
    PS.... All the growth overhanging the wall will be cut off with shears level with the top of the wall to grow back during the summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. jay22

Pruning?

look fine to me, I would leave them on as its making food for the plant
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. camchesie

Hi. Newbie requires help!!

Peony,and a nice one too.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Diane Davies

Rhubarb

Rhubarb seems to do that every so often - even without unusual conditions. Definitely remove it and follow Zigs instructions.
    Rhubarb seems to do that every so often - even without unusual conditions. Definitely remove it and follow Zigs instructions.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fyfy K

Can you plant things under a leylandii hedge?

Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does well under it but needs some light from one side, which is what it should be getting if it's a...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does well under it but needs some light from one side,...
    Yes, you can grow things under Leylandii. :blue thumb: A lot of plants won't be happy as the soil will be dry and depleted of nutrients.Ivy would love it but I wouldn't recommend it.Periwinkle does...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Diane Davies

Daffs

Thank you so much for all your great advise. So glad I joined this very friendly group.
    Thank you so much for all your great advise. So glad I joined this very friendly group.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Scoffy

Cardboard in compost

I use lots of cardboard in my compost heaps, in layers along with plenty of green stuff.
    I use lots of cardboard in my compost heaps, in layers along with plenty of green stuff.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice