NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Turlough O'Hagan

A good reliable garden pea variety

Kelvedon Wonder does well for me as does Early Onward. Alderman is a tall growing good cropping old fashioned variety with long pods and a good flavour.
    Kelvedon Wonder does well for me as does Early Onward. Alderman is a tall growing good cropping old fashioned variety with long pods and a good flavour.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. MissAgapanthus

Digging up and replanting daffodile, iris and tulip bulbs

Ok. That's two for leaving them for now. So that's what I will do. I could Gove the seaweed a try. And I'll look for species bulbs next year.
    Ok. That's two for leaving them for now. So that's what I will do. I could Gove the seaweed a try. And I'll look for species bulbs next year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Tilly37

Help...Roof Terrace & gardening novice!

I'm cracking on great guns today! Have emptied all pots & realised there are ready made holes already in position you just have to drill through them so have done half already...also rather...
    I'm cracking on great guns today! Have emptied all pots & realised there are ready made holes already in position you just have to drill through them so have done half already...also rather helpfully it says on the bottom the size of the pot & the size saucer/tray thingy you'll need! I'm off to...
    I'm cracking on great guns today! Have emptied all pots & realised there are ready made holes already in position you just have to drill through them so have done half already...also rather helpfully it says on the bottom the size of the pot &...
    I'm cracking on great guns today! Have emptied all pots & realised there are ready made holes already in position you just have to drill through them so have done half already...also rather...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. lizzerti

Hope it's a great 2015 for one & all :)

Help! I've asked for plant identification just now. Unsure where or how to post on here so apologies posted in wrong section
    Help! I've asked for plant identification just now. Unsure where or how to post on here so apologies posted in wrong section
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. EdenG

Help with this plant please.

It looks like a Japanese Anenome EdenG...Just cut back the brown stems to the base and I'm sure it will shoot up new stems when it's ready to flower again:blue thumb:
    It looks like a Japanese Anenome EdenG...Just cut back the brown stems to the base and I'm sure it will shoot up new stems when it's ready to flower again:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Slerski

Problem with moss on my lawn

Once the moss has been killed off you need to 'kick start' the grass growth in that area so a feed would be a good idea now. The grass will grow a lot quicker over the next few weeks which means...
    Once the moss has been killed off you need to 'kick start' the grass growth in that area so a feed would be a good idea now. The grass will grow a lot quicker over the next few weeks which means more mowing. Once it settles down if you still have patches then that will be the time to over...
    Once the moss has been killed off you need to 'kick start' the grass growth in that area so a feed would be a good idea now. The grass will grow a lot quicker over the next few weeks which means more mowing. Once it settles down if you still have...
    Once the moss has been killed off you need to 'kick start' the grass growth in that area so a feed would be a good idea now. The grass will grow a lot quicker over the next few weeks which means...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. fiwen30

Is it possible to move a Lilac?

Great - so sunny spot with room to grow, could prune this year after flowering or next year when more established in new spot. Prune a third back each year and can therefore prevent getting too...
    Great - so sunny spot with room to grow, could prune this year after flowering or next year when more established in new spot. Prune a third back each year and can therefore prevent getting too big.Off work tomorrow, so will take a look to see where it can go. Not too many choices as I have...
    Great - so sunny spot with room to grow, could prune this year after flowering or next year when more established in new spot. Prune a third back each year and can therefore prevent getting too big.Off work tomorrow, so will take a look to see...
    Great - so sunny spot with room to grow, could prune this year after flowering or next year when more established in new spot. Prune a third back each year and can therefore prevent getting too...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fyfy K

Hoping to grow Delphiniums

Oh gosh Spruce now I'm even more intrigued. Are the cuttings easy to propagate? They now need to germinate for me. Should I feed them. Everything else in the gh is on blood, fish and bone. They...
    Oh gosh Spruce now I'm even more intrigued. Are the cuttings easy to propagate? They now need to germinate for me. Should I feed them. Everything else in the gh is on blood, fish and bone. They are potted in seed compost with vermiculite and would expect to pot up a size with some top soil....
    Oh gosh Spruce now I'm even more intrigued. Are the cuttings easy to propagate? They now need to germinate for me. Should I feed them. Everything else in the gh is on blood, fish and bone. They are potted in seed compost with vermiculite and...
    Oh gosh Spruce now I'm even more intrigued. Are the cuttings easy to propagate? They now need to germinate for me. Should I feed them. Everything else in the gh is on blood, fish and bone. They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. DannyB

What flowers to plant around hybrid tea rose trees?

A mass of Calendula would look rather nice:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. froot

Senetti info please!

It died back over the winter months so frost wasn't really a problem Froot. However, the islands winter temperatures rarely drop into minus figures. :)
    It died back over the winter months so frost wasn't really a problem Froot. However, the islands winter temperatures rarely drop into minus figures. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. lazyman

where to start?!

Hi Lazyman, saw your message and thought you might appreciate hearing what I've just done with one my two flowerbeds, as i'm a newbie gardener who felt totally overwhelmed by it all too. I found a...
    Hi Lazyman, saw your message and thought you might appreciate hearing what I've just done with one my two flowerbeds, as i'm a newbie gardener who felt totally overwhelmed by it all too. I found a website called garden on a roll, which is basically a service that chooses all the plants for you...
    Hi Lazyman, saw your message and thought you might appreciate hearing what I've just done with one my two flowerbeds, as i'm a newbie gardener who felt totally overwhelmed by it all too. I found a website called garden on a roll, which is...
    Hi Lazyman, saw your message and thought you might appreciate hearing what I've just done with one my two flowerbeds, as i'm a newbie gardener who felt totally overwhelmed by it all too. I found a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. bigbore

which climber

I would plumb for jasmine. But the climbing roses from David Austin are very scented, and beautiful to boot.
    I would plumb for jasmine. But the climbing roses from David Austin are very scented, and beautiful to boot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. GYO newbie

Dirty Hands

I don't seem to have the problems that all of you do. :scratch:I never do any work in the garden without gloves. For all things (except working in spikey, prickly, sap producing jobs) I wear cotton...
    I don't seem to have the problems that all of you do. :scratch:I never do any work in the garden without gloves. For all things (except working in spikey, prickly, sap producing jobs) I wear cotton gloves and buy them in bulk (less than £1 per pair). For those other jobs I have a very tough pair of...
    I don't seem to have the problems that all of you do. :scratch:I never do any work in the garden without gloves. For all things (except working in spikey, prickly, sap producing jobs) I wear cotton gloves and buy them in bulk (less than £1 per pair). ...
    I don't seem to have the problems that all of you do. :scratch:I never do any work in the garden without gloves. For all things (except working in spikey, prickly, sap producing jobs) I wear cotton...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. brae
    Like x 3

Welcome to the Growiary.

Hi brae.....welcome to GC :sign0016: :spinning:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Lloydarr

My lawn has suddenly started to turn brown colour

Hello Lloydarr the thread below may be useful to you . For the record I never use granular weed and feed only the liquid stuff dispensed with a watering can . I feel it gives better coverage with...
    Hello Lloydarr the thread below may be useful to you . For the record I never use granular weed and feed only the liquid stuff dispensed with a watering can . I feel it gives better coverage with minimal chance off burning. Evergreen used to do a very good one , but its not available now . I...
    Hello Lloydarr the thread below may be useful to you . For the record I never use granular weed and feed only the liquid stuff dispensed with a watering can . I feel it gives better coverage with minimal chance off burning. Evergreen used to do a...
    Hello Lloydarr the thread below may be useful to you . For the record I never use granular weed and feed only the liquid stuff dispensed with a watering can . I feel it gives better coverage with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. luciusmaximus

Advice for patio plant please

Russian vine is also known as 'mile-a-minute' Lucius. It is rampant and will take over the garden in a very short time, it will also need cutting back once a week when it's established.
    Russian vine is also known as 'mile-a-minute' Lucius. It is rampant and will take over the garden in a very short time, it will also need cutting back once a week when it's established.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Barders

New fence panels, do I really need to pre-treat?

Thank you for the welcome and advice, I am REALLY pleased I found you all :love30:
    Thank you for the welcome and advice, I am REALLY pleased I found you all :love30:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. wibblewobble

Another weed ID thread

Hah I certainly like the idea of giving it a good bash, I hunted along the hedge and ripped out everything I could and dug out the plants and roots where it was mostly set in. When it re-appears...
    Hah I certainly like the idea of giving it a good bash, I hunted along the hedge and ripped out everything I could and dug out the plants and roots where it was mostly set in. When it re-appears I will take much joy in bashing it before trying some poison.I'm thinking I'll plant up the...
    Hah I certainly like the idea of giving it a good bash, I hunted along the hedge and ripped out everything I could and dug out the plants and roots where it was mostly set in. When it re-appears I will take much joy in bashing it before trying...
    Hah I certainly like the idea of giving it a good bash, I hunted along the hedge and ripped out everything I could and dug out the plants and roots where it was mostly set in. When it re-appears...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. bigbore

borders with bulbs

I usually get two years from Tulips planted in deep pots but not as much luck in a border even when just as deep. Don't know why!
    I usually get two years from Tulips planted in deep pots but not as much luck in a border even when just as deep. Don't know why!
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. GaryBuseysTeeth

Suggestions for a dark, dank corner!

here are ---some---of my hosta's
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice