NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Nomi

Help with dying seedlings

In my experience that is down to soil being too damp.I should have said that the covers are used after pricking out for a few days only.
    In my experience that is down to soil being too damp.I should have said that the covers are used after pricking out for a few days only.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. BabyBee

Should I cover the roots of my roses?

Thanks for your advice! I'll check them tomorrow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JenAdams

What are the lumps in the roots or this plant?

Just be careful planting this in the yard. Very invasive. Still have plants coming up from past owners.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just be careful planting this in the yard. Very invasive. Still have plants coming up from past owners.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. "M"

Crocus problem

A month makes all the difference in a garden that faces north! I'm getting lots more sunshine now too. :hapydancsmil:
    A month makes all the difference in a garden that faces north! I'm getting lots more sunshine now too. :hapydancsmil:
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Sarah Giles

Was I too early?

It's probably a lack of light coupled with relatively high temperatures during the day. I'd sow again late April/early May, direct in the ground.
    It's probably a lack of light coupled with relatively high temperatures during the day. I'd sow again late April/early May, direct in the ground.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Katiet79

Planter question!

Thank you Spruce, again really helpful and informative info x
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Sardo Numspa

Water butt mains backup connection

I need loads of stuff, still in the design phase at the moment = )Useful link.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Sarah Giles

Are these beyond saving?

I love gooseberries, they do need to be picked ripe but gently poached with plenty of sugar and an almond frangipan topping they are superb!
    I love gooseberries, they do need to be picked ripe but gently poached with plenty of sugar and an almond frangipan topping they are superb!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Slerski

Is this manure well rotted?

I didn't know fresh manure would be bad for plants, good to know it's best to leave it for a bit.
    I didn't know fresh manure would be bad for plants, good to know it's best to leave it for a bit.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. McTavish14

can i transplant Pieris

Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub...
    Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub and a fair doze for the other 2. Having gone to the effort of moving the shrubs it's worth a few...
    Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub and a fair doze for the other 2. Having gone to...
    Any growing medium which suits Heathers will be fine for the Pieris. I'd be generous with improving the soil in the planting holes. A good 20 odd ltrs of peat/ericaceous compost for the big shrub...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Tattianna
    Like x 5

Novice gardener in need of some inspiration please

Yes, the hydrangea. You'll need to move it in the next week (or two, but no longer) because it is now coming out of its dormant season. If you cannot do it now, then leave it until November. :)
    Yes, the hydrangea. You'll need to move it in the next week (or two, but no longer) because it is now coming out of its dormant season. If you cannot do it now, then leave it until November. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. SK175

Help pls to a very new gardener

Many people will be there to suggest you which flowers or which strains of orchids will look good whether you do indoor gardening or outdoor. But the main thing of gardening is to take care of...
    Many people will be there to suggest you which flowers or which strains of orchids will look good whether you do indoor gardening or outdoor. But the main thing of gardening is to take care of your plants what you choose to grow.The most essential part of growing your plant is the pot. The pot...
    Many people will be there to suggest you which flowers or which strains of orchids will look good whether you do indoor gardening or outdoor. But the main thing of gardening is to take care of your plants what you choose to grow.The most...
    Many people will be there to suggest you which flowers or which strains of orchids will look good whether you do indoor gardening or outdoor. But the main thing of gardening is to take care of...
    dipstick diagram-200x200.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Sarah Giles

Butts

Plastic cover tied round the top of the butt, weighted down with a stone in the middle with a small hole in it.You'll get the frost/condensation as well as the rain.
    Plastic cover tied round the top of the butt, weighted down with a stone in the middle with a small hole in it.You'll get the frost/condensation as well as the rain.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Sarah Giles

Help! My cucumbers are miserable

Happy to report that most of my cucumber seedlings are now slowly starting to recover. One looks like it's beyond help but I'm going to keep them indoors now and see what happens with them. Can...
    Happy to report that most of my cucumber seedlings are now slowly starting to recover. One looks like it's beyond help but I'm going to keep them indoors now and see what happens with them. Can see me putting up some shelves in my store room!
    Happy to report that most of my cucumber seedlings are now slowly starting to recover. One looks like it's beyond help but I'm going to keep them indoors now and see what happens with them. Can see me putting up some shelves in my store room!
    Happy to report that most of my cucumber seedlings are now slowly starting to recover. One looks like it's beyond help but I'm going to keep them indoors now and see what happens with them. Can...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Barriejames81

Front garden beds

They look lovely @redstar :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Brenners

Cotoneaster pollard?

I stand corrected and have learnt something new. :) I didn't realise how big some could grow.
    I stand corrected and have learnt something new. :) I didn't realise how big some could grow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. luciusmaximus

Spring Bulbs

Wishing you success with them Beckie - sounds very colourful :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. NorthantsGeezer

Hydrangea care / pruning

I have a couple of mop-heads and a lace-cap in pots, Just like you guys each spring I snip off the old flowerheads being careful not to damage the buds underneath them (these will become the new...
    I have a couple of mop-heads and a lace-cap in pots, Just like you guys each spring I snip off the old flowerheads being careful not to damage the buds underneath them (these will become the new flowers) but when we had a big one in the ground I would also have a little rummage around in there...
    I have a couple of mop-heads and a lace-cap in pots, Just like you guys each spring I snip off the old flowerheads being careful not to damage the buds underneath them (these will become the new flowers) but when we had a big one in the ground I...
    I have a couple of mop-heads and a lace-cap in pots, Just like you guys each spring I snip off the old flowerheads being careful not to damage the buds underneath them (these will become the new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Andrew lace

Apple trees

I am looking to plant some fruit trees a long side my decking as espaliers how many can I plant size is 3639l by 3650wStaff Edit - This post merged in from another with the same content.
    I am looking to plant some fruit trees a long side my decking as espaliers how many can I plant size is 3639l by 3650wStaff Edit - This post merged in from another with the same content.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423496055.984183.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423496086.417216.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423496101.535665.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423496124.402436.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423666210.114917.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423666595.125561.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. LyndaG
    Like x 3

Hydrangea/Begonia

Same LyndaG I love buying reduced plants in Tesco and nurturing them back to health. Hope they stay healthy Good luck
    Same LyndaG I love buying reduced plants in Tesco and nurturing them back to health. Hope they stay healthy Good luck
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice