NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. c3k

azalea with yellow leaves due to lime

Thanks. I repotted them today in nice acidic soil but the roots were completely frozen in soil! Roll on springtime!
    Thanks. I repotted them today in nice acidic soil but the roots were completely frozen in soil! Roll on springtime!
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. TKB1943

A little advice for an all year round easy life :)

Thanks for the welcome! :)I have some photos, not great ones, so I photoed my doodle notes I made the other day. You'll have to forgive the mess you see in our currently neglected the garden (I'm...
    Thanks for the welcome! :)I have some photos, not great ones, so I photoed my doodle notes I made the other day. You'll have to forgive the mess you see in our currently neglected the garden (I'm embarressed to show these), and for the doodle which I hadn't planned to share originally. haIn...
    Thanks for the welcome! :)I have some photos, not great ones, so I photoed my doodle notes I made the other day. You'll have to forgive the mess you see in our currently neglected the garden (I'm embarressed to show these), and for the doodle...
    Thanks for the welcome! :)I have some photos, not great ones, so I photoed my doodle notes I made the other day. You'll have to forgive the mess you see in our currently neglected the garden (I'm...
    iPhoto 2015-01-23 17-31-47.png IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0558.JPG 2015-01-23 17-42-21.png 2015-01-23 17-43-56.png Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 17.49.53.png
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. luciusmaximus

Hydrangeas

Agree with Spruce :blue thumb:.I'm no expert but just have the experience of our hydrangeas. With the normal 'mop head' type we leave the old heads on until frost has gone. These are usually the woody...
    Agree with Spruce :blue thumb:.I'm no expert but just have the experience of our hydrangeas. With the normal 'mop head' type we leave the old heads on until frost has gone. These are usually the woody stem type.With the soft stem types (e.g. Annabelle) you cut back when flowers have gone over. These...
    Agree with Spruce :blue thumb:.I'm no expert but just have the experience of our hydrangeas. With the normal 'mop head' type we leave the old heads on until frost has gone. These are usually the woody stem type.With the soft stem types (e.g....
    Agree with Spruce :blue thumb:.I'm no expert but just have the experience of our hydrangeas. With the normal 'mop head' type we leave the old heads on until frost has gone. These are usually the woody...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Jeeves

Garden Hedges Advice Sought!

Hi KandyBeech doesn't like the wet growing conditions that why I recommended Hornbeam , with Jeeves having no gardening experience I thought I should point that out , hope you dont mindSpruce
    Hi KandyBeech doesn't like the wet growing conditions that why I recommended Hornbeam , with Jeeves having no gardening experience I thought I should point that out , hope you dont mindSpruce
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wildsam

New to gardening - weedy lawn

Hi @wildsamSome of those weeds look like daisy leaves to me. Are you sure you want rid of them all?Anyway, the easiest way I know to tackle the problem is to first get rid of the bulk of it...
    Hi @wildsamSome of those weeds look like daisy leaves to me. Are you sure you want rid of them all?Anyway, the easiest way I know to tackle the problem is to first get rid of the bulk of it manually, then just regularly mowing to give the grass chance to thicken up and take over.To...
    Hi @wildsamSome of those weeds look like daisy leaves to me. Are you sure you want rid of them all?Anyway, the easiest way I know to tackle the problem is to first get rid of the bulk of it manually, then just regularly mowing to give the...
    Hi @wildsamSome of those weeds look like daisy leaves to me. Are you sure you want rid of them all?Anyway, the easiest way I know to tackle the problem is to first get rid of the bulk of it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. savo318

poly tunnel

An alternative would be to add raking struts fixed with brackets to the hoops at the junction with the top horizontals, and on that size tunnel they are at quite a high level enabling timber...
    An alternative would be to add raking struts fixed with brackets to the hoops at the junction with the top horizontals, and on that size tunnel they are at quite a high level enabling timber members fixed to them to run the length of the tunnel either side of a central path, or fixed across the...
    An alternative would be to add raking struts fixed with brackets to the hoops at the junction with the top horizontals, and on that size tunnel they are at quite a high level enabling timber members fixed to them to run the length of the tunnel...
    An alternative would be to add raking struts fixed with brackets to the hoops at the junction with the top horizontals, and on that size tunnel they are at quite a high level enabling timber...
    pt fxg strut top.jpg pt rails.jpg pt edging and strap.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. smilingfish

Crab Apple alive! Advice?

I got a nasty feeling all the buds that have broken will be killed. Consequently the only new shoots next year will be from below ground, ie the rootstock which wont really be worth growing.
    I got a nasty feeling all the buds that have broken will be killed. Consequently the only new shoots next year will be from below ground, ie the rootstock which wont really be worth growing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JJ28

Ashes

My neighbour a senior citizen (well just a bit more senior than me;) had a bonfire every day for years and put all the ashes on his plot(a lot of ash) he grew the finest cabbages in the county
    My neighbour a senior citizen (well just a bit more senior than me;) had a bonfire every day for years and put all the ashes on his plot(a lot of ash) he grew the finest cabbages in the county
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JohnD

I can't read my soil !! :(

I would imagine if newly dug lawn will easily grow annuals certainty for next year without adding any fertilizer or you could easily top up with a watering can with feed mixed in if they are...
    I would imagine if newly dug lawn will easily grow annuals certainty for next year without adding any fertilizer or you could easily top up with a watering can with feed mixed in if they are looking un happy.I have gardened on heavy clay (the only time I could work the soil was late April...
    I would imagine if newly dug lawn will easily grow annuals certainty for next year without adding any fertilizer or you could easily top up with a watering can with feed mixed in if they are looking un happy.I have gardened on heavy clay (the...
    I would imagine if newly dug lawn will easily grow annuals certainty for next year without adding any fertilizer or you could easily top up with a watering can with feed mixed in if they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. "M"

A "living" Christmas tree

Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is...
    Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is important for an outdoor tree which is having an indoor holiday so a window position would be best but...
    Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is important for an outdoor tree which is having an indoor...
    Treat it as a bonsai but remember that it is an outdoor one. It won't like indoor heating or being dried out. Get it outside as soon as you can and give it a little water every day. Light is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. joh98.mac

Potash of Sulfate and Allotment Bags

Yes, everyear
    Yes, everyear
    Yes, everyear
    Yes, everyear
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Star Jasmine

Winter baskets and pots

good idea
    good idea
    good idea
    good idea
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. "M"

Standard Bay Tree: care instructions, please?

Happened to my large bay in a half barrel, but it re-sprouted and came back better than before, although some people lost theirs.
    Happened to my large bay in a half barrel, but it re-sprouted and came back better than before, although some people lost theirs.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. jane25

Is setting up hammocks on Asian garden good?

Nice hammock. But i am looking if this one will do. I hope it will fit to my asian inspired garden..
    Nice hammock. But i am looking if this one will do. I hope it will fit to my asian inspired garden..
    knhs02_12.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. luiza

new lawn first cutting in winter

I reckon luiza it's best to postpone cutting now we are starting to get frosts, I can't see it will grow much over the winter now. Wait till the spring @luiza :blue thumb:
    I reckon luiza it's best to postpone cutting now we are starting to get frosts, I can't see it will grow much over the winter now. Wait till the spring @luiza :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ubuuntu

Things baffling a newbie

A quick update regarding the first photo. I've found a few further (smaller) patches in this area of the garden. Over a period of several days, the colour of the substance darkens and the thing...
    A quick update regarding the first photo. I've found a few further (smaller) patches in this area of the garden. Over a period of several days, the colour of the substance darkens and the thing turns almost entirely black. Coinciding with this darkening, we had a wave of tiny flies - the ones...
    A quick update regarding the first photo. I've found a few further (smaller) patches in this area of the garden. Over a period of several days, the colour of the substance darkens and the thing turns almost entirely black. Coinciding with this...
    A quick update regarding the first photo. I've found a few further (smaller) patches in this area of the garden. Over a period of several days, the colour of the substance darkens and the thing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Anth

Black lace sambucus dead?

Sambucus is hardy and will stand temperatures of -15 to -20 however, like Acers I've discovered it doesn't like a windy site, the leaves burn off.
    Sambucus is hardy and will stand temperatures of -15 to -20 however, like Acers I've discovered it doesn't like a windy site, the leaves burn off.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. StudentGardener

Fuzzy "cobwebs" growing on soil?

Sounds like Damping off fungus. Usually occurs with seedlings indoors in the winter.You could try a copper based fungicide and you're right about the humidity, has the propogator got a vent?
    Sounds like Damping off fungus. Usually occurs with seedlings indoors in the winter.You could try a copper based fungicide and you're right about the humidity, has the propogator got a vent?
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. "M"

Numpty Turnip paving question ...

Depending on the paving you can make it even easier by cementing in those concrete path edges to the set width of the area you want in accordance to the size of the paving you are using to save...
    Depending on the paving you can make it even easier by cementing in those concrete path edges to the set width of the area you want in accordance to the size of the paving you are using to save any cutting of slabs:blue thumb:
    Depending on the paving you can make it even easier by cementing in those concrete path edges to the set width of the area you want in accordance to the size of the paving you are using to save any cutting of slabs:blue thumb:
    Depending on the paving you can make it even easier by cementing in those concrete path edges to the set width of the area you want in accordance to the size of the paving you are using to save...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. SharonL

Best animal-friendly weed killer?

Neat vinegar has worked for us in the past. For larger areas we have started sheet mulching, not only does it kill the weeds but it's supposed to improve the soil and it's very cheap and...
    Neat vinegar has worked for us in the past. For larger areas we have started sheet mulching, not only does it kill the weeds but it's supposed to improve the soil and it's very cheap and environmentally friendly - so they say.
    Neat vinegar has worked for us in the past. For larger areas we have started sheet mulching, not only does it kill the weeds but it's supposed to improve the soil and it's very cheap and environmentally friendly - so they say.
    Neat vinegar has worked for us in the past. For larger areas we have started sheet mulching, not only does it kill the weeds but it's supposed to improve the soil and it's very cheap and...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice