1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Anth

Black lace sambucus dead?

Sambucus is hardy and will stand temperatures of -15 to -20 however, like Acers I've discovered it doesn't like a windy site, the leaves burn off.
    Sambucus is hardy and will stand temperatures of -15 to -20 however, like Acers I've discovered it doesn't like a windy site, the leaves burn off.
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. StudentGardener

Fuzzy "cobwebs" growing on soil?

Sounds like Damping off fungus. Usually occurs with seedlings indoors in the winter.You could try a copper based fungicide and you're right about the humidity, has the propogator got a vent?
    Sounds like Damping off fungus. Usually occurs with seedlings indoors in the winter.You could try a copper based fungicide and you're right about the humidity, has the propogator got a vent?
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. "M"

Numpty Turnip paving question ...

Depending on the paving you can make it even easier by cementing in those concrete path edges to the set width of the area you want in accordance to the size of the paving you are using to save...
    Depending on the paving you can make it even easier by cementing in those concrete path edges to the set width of the area you want in accordance to the size of the paving you are using to save any cutting of slabs:blue thumb:
    Depending on the paving you can make it even easier by cementing in those concrete path edges to the set width of the area you want in accordance to the size of the paving you are using to save any cutting of slabs:blue thumb:
    Depending on the paving you can make it even easier by cementing in those concrete path edges to the set width of the area you want in accordance to the size of the paving you are using to save...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. SharonL

Best animal-friendly weed killer?

Neat vinegar has worked for us in the past. For larger areas we have started sheet mulching, not only does it kill the weeds but it's supposed to improve the soil and it's very cheap and...
    Neat vinegar has worked for us in the past. For larger areas we have started sheet mulching, not only does it kill the weeds but it's supposed to improve the soil and it's very cheap and environmentally friendly - so they say.
    Neat vinegar has worked for us in the past. For larger areas we have started sheet mulching, not only does it kill the weeds but it's supposed to improve the soil and it's very cheap and environmentally friendly - so they say.
    Neat vinegar has worked for us in the past. For larger areas we have started sheet mulching, not only does it kill the weeds but it's supposed to improve the soil and it's very cheap and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. EdenG

Newbie just inherited a garden & clueless :(!

Thank you all SO much for the help, I can't thank you all enough! I will get on with tidying them all up & get some closer shots taken. Thanks again, I've learnt so much already!
    Thank you all SO much for the help, I can't thank you all enough! I will get on with tidying them all up & get some closer shots taken. Thanks again, I've learnt so much already!
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Hayley1983
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Anth

Will my seedlings survive the winter?

Don't worry as one of my shallow trays looked like there wasn't anything in it but then the other day they started to shows the first leaf.The seeds are coated with a substance that can delay...
    Don't worry as one of my shallow trays looked like there wasn't anything in it but then the other day they started to shows the first leaf.The seeds are coated with a substance that can delay germination hence the washing of the seeds and also I found out the seeds don't like to be exposed to...
    Don't worry as one of my shallow trays looked like there wasn't anything in it but then the other day they started to shows the first leaf.The seeds are coated with a substance that can delay germination hence the washing of the seeds and also I...
    Don't worry as one of my shallow trays looked like there wasn't anything in it but then the other day they started to shows the first leaf.The seeds are coated with a substance that can delay...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. David_S

Advice needed for novice on new container garden!

Great advice. Ill consider the kitchen waste. The council takes it away... Should be okay though (apart from avocado stones. They suck.)@M (woof!) shade planting sounds perfect. I just want the...
    Great advice. Ill consider the kitchen waste. The council takes it away... Should be okay though (apart from avocado stones. They suck.)@M (woof!) shade planting sounds perfect. I just want the plants to be happy and work with what I've got.
    Great advice. Ill consider the kitchen waste. The council takes it away... Should be okay though (apart from avocado stones. They suck.)@M (woof!) shade planting sounds perfect. I just want the plants to be happy and work with what I've got.
    Great advice. Ill consider the kitchen waste. The council takes it away... Should be okay though (apart from avocado stones. They suck.)@M (woof!) shade planting sounds perfect. I just want the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wildsam

Messy tall bush

Looks a bit like an overgrown privet hedge to me. If it is you can cut it hard back, but it will not look good until next summer.
    Looks a bit like an overgrown privet hedge to me. If it is you can cut it hard back, but it will not look good until next summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. "M"

I've got an itch and don't know how to scratch it!

love all the ideas :) you lot are very clever:) i have been thinking along those sort of lines @Lolimac for an area of mine :) i love the trough by the way x
    love all the ideas :) you lot are very clever:) i have been thinking along those sort of lines @Lolimac for an area of mine :) i love the trough by the way x
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. StudentGardener
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Emma Craik-Horan

HELP! my new garden is a jungle mess!!

I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives...
    I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives you time to work on applying weed killer onto any new leaves that come through.During the growing...
    I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives you time to work on applying weed killer onto any...
    I have brought the bindweed under control by gathering the shoots of each plant together and gently pulling directly upwards. This will remove about 6" of root at the same time. Then it gives...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. "M"

Questions on this geranium plant.

Thank you @davygfuchsia that helps enormously :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Hurfs
    Like x 6

The Garden......

Well done to you :dbgrtmb:I have a spot in my diary should you require assistance ... but you will have to bag me quick as I am in much demand these days :whistle:
    Well done to you :dbgrtmb:I have a spot in my diary should you require assistance ... but you will have to bag me quick as I am in much demand these days :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. chippy

dahlia

Frosting will also induce dormancy :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Lucie

Wisteria

Wisteria can be hard-pruned, but beware that it may be several years before it resumes flowering "fit to bust". I would make sure to water in Summer, if there is no ran, as that is when flower...
    Wisteria can be hard-pruned, but beware that it may be several years before it resumes flowering "fit to bust". I would make sure to water in Summer, if there is no ran, as that is when flower buds are formed, and that might encourage it to produce some/many! whilst "recovering".Additionally...
    Wisteria can be hard-pruned, but beware that it may be several years before it resumes flowering "fit to bust". I would make sure to water in Summer, if there is no ran, as that is when flower buds are formed, and that might encourage it to...
    Wisteria can be hard-pruned, but beware that it may be several years before it resumes flowering "fit to bust". I would make sure to water in Summer, if there is no ran, as that is when flower...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. lizzerti

Plant ID please

[emoji106] [emoji258] [emoji258]
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Marie Kelly

Help please! How do I plant Jasmine & Honeysuckle plugs in planters?

I got this deal too. I have potted mine in individual small pots and have in a sheltered area. I know they are climbers and I have no clue what to do so I put a small stick in each pot in case...
    I got this deal too. I have potted mine in individual small pots and have in a sheltered area. I know they are climbers and I have no clue what to do so I put a small stick in each pot in case they start needing something to grow on until they get bigger and I plant them out.
    I got this deal too. I have potted mine in individual small pots and have in a sheltered area. I know they are climbers and I have no clue what to do so I put a small stick in each pot in case they start needing something to grow on until they...
    I got this deal too. I have potted mine in individual small pots and have in a sheltered area. I know they are climbers and I have no clue what to do so I put a small stick in each pot in case...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Graeme Samuels

Formal garden questions

P.S. Buying a plant for cuttings is unlikely to work, as I doubt there will be enough "material" for many cuttings, hence getting some off a mate who already has a plant would be a better plan I...
    P.S. Buying a plant for cuttings is unlikely to work, as I doubt there will be enough "material" for many cuttings, hence getting some off a mate who already has a plant would be a better plan I think.
    P.S. Buying a plant for cuttings is unlikely to work, as I doubt there will be enough "material" for many cuttings, hence getting some off a mate who already has a plant would be a better plan I think.
    P.S. Buying a plant for cuttings is unlikely to work, as I doubt there will be enough "material" for many cuttings, hence getting some off a mate who already has a plant would be a better plan I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Hurfs

Help Cutting back.

If you can, you could put wires along the wall and tie in the growth from the shrubs so that they make narrow plants rather than wipe spreading ones. We have a Chaenomeles which is treated like...
    If you can, you could put wires along the wall and tie in the growth from the shrubs so that they make narrow plants rather than wipe spreading ones. We have a Chaenomeles which is treated like that. Any growths which come out forwards are cut off and sideways growing ones are tied in to the...
    If you can, you could put wires along the wall and tie in the growth from the shrubs so that they make narrow plants rather than wipe spreading ones. We have a Chaenomeles which is treated like that. Any growths which come out forwards are cut...
    If you can, you could put wires along the wall and tie in the growth from the shrubs so that they make narrow plants rather than wipe spreading ones. We have a Chaenomeles which is treated like...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice