1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Lee Hughes

Acer advice

Yep will do thank you for the advice :ThankYou:
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Snowberry

Beginners tools recommendation

Free, if you can run fast enough? :runforhills:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Jowo

Acer/moving advice

Great advice.. Thank you Kristen
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Gizmo
    Like x 11

our garden

Lovely job you’ve done there. I especially like the pod and planters on different levels. Enjoy it!
    Lovely job you’ve done there. I especially like the pod and planters on different levels. Enjoy it!
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Emily Brookes

hydrangea Wilting and dying suddenly

The problem that happened two months ago was most likely caused by late frost damage: the plant breaks dormancy early, when it is not yet producing lots of green chlorophyll and the leaves turn...
    The problem that happened two months ago was most likely caused by late frost damage: the plant breaks dormancy early, when it is not yet producing lots of green chlorophyll and the leaves turn colors like reds or oranges due to pigments that are visible when the leaf injury occurs. When the...
    The problem that happened two months ago was most likely caused by late frost damage: the plant breaks dormancy early, when it is not yet producing lots of green chlorophyll and the leaves turn colors like reds or oranges due to pigments that are...
    The problem that happened two months ago was most likely caused by late frost damage: the plant breaks dormancy early, when it is not yet producing lots of green chlorophyll and the leaves turn...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. OLIVIA WILD

Evergreen Brushes Advise Please :)

Hi All, I have absolutely no knowledge of gardening, I would really appreciate some advise of someone in the know :) I would like some advise on the best evergreen brush options for a south facing...
    Hi All, I have absolutely no knowledge of gardening, I would really appreciate some advise of someone in the know :) I would like some advise on the best evergreen brush options for a south facing front garden (well not quite a garden, just a small patch). When I say evergreen, i really mean...
    Hi All, I have absolutely no knowledge of gardening, I would really appreciate some advise of someone in the know :) I would like some advise on the best evergreen brush options for a south facing front garden (well not quite a garden, just a...
    Hi All, I have absolutely no knowledge of gardening, I would really appreciate some advise of someone in the know :) I would like some advise on the best evergreen brush options for a south facing...
    GARDEN.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Chris20

Climber suggestions for a dark(ish), postage-stamp yard. And some progress updates on the redesign

Impatience has taken hold. I started rushing, and that rarely ends well, so I decided to have a relaxing wander around the garden centre.Armed with the earlier warningand the assistance of a...
    Impatience has taken hold. I started rushing, and that rarely ends well, so I decided to have a relaxing wander around the garden centre.Armed with the earlier warningand the assistance of a helpful & quite knowledgable sounding employee at the centre, I ended up getting some ivy after all....
    Impatience has taken hold. I started rushing, and that rarely ends well, so I decided to have a relaxing wander around the garden centre.Armed with the earlier warningand the assistance of a helpful & quite knowledgable sounding employee at...
    Impatience has taken hold. I started rushing, and that rarely ends well, so I decided to have a relaxing wander around the garden centre.Armed with the earlier warningand the assistance of a...
    100_2698 - Copy.JPG wally - Copy (2).png 100_2702.JPG 100_2720 - Copy.JPG 100_2778 - Copy - Copy.JPG 100_2780.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. GaGa73

General advice for new gardener

Hello again, I have a question about the new topsoil I put in our veg patch, it has only been a couple weeks since I had it delivered and it is already full of weeds, is this normal? I assumed...
    Hello again, I have a question about the new topsoil I put in our veg patch, it has only been a couple weeks since I had it delivered and it is already full of weeds, is this normal? I assumed there wouldn't be anything growing until I'd planted stuff, the sub soil was well prepared and free of...
    Hello again, I have a question about the new topsoil I put in our veg patch, it has only been a couple weeks since I had it delivered and it is already full of weeds, is this normal? I assumed there wouldn't be anything growing until I'd planted...
    Hello again, I have a question about the new topsoil I put in our veg patch, it has only been a couple weeks since I had it delivered and it is already full of weeds, is this normal? I assumed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. mbbx5va2

Azalea japonica not growing right

I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants...
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants seem pretty dormant and easy to move in the winter.
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants seem pretty dormant and easy to move in the winter.
    I have a similar orange plant, years of nursing it. I gave up last winter and moved it. It look much happier in a new location. Its now shaded from midday sun by a close-ish tree. Most plants...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jo Williams

Amelanchia. Prince William

We planted our Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" for the exact purpose of being eaten by birds. They ARE edible for humans as well and you can make jam out of them, but for us they serve as a kind of...
    We planted our Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" for the exact purpose of being eaten by birds. They ARE edible for humans as well and you can make jam out of them, but for us they serve as a kind of decoy to keep the birds busy and away from our more precious plants.
    We planted our Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" for the exact purpose of being eaten by birds. They ARE edible for humans as well and you can make jam out of them, but for us they serve as a kind of decoy to keep the birds busy and away from our...
    We planted our Amelanchier "Rainbow Pillar" for the exact purpose of being eaten by birds. They ARE edible for humans as well and you can make jam out of them, but for us they serve as a kind of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. lowrider69

DIY houseplant potting mix

Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot...
    Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot weather or they can dry out too fast !Much better if you can say what plants you are growing and what...
    Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot weather or they can dry out too fast !Much better if...
    Yes, sharp sand or Perlite mixed in at about 3 of compost to 1 of perlite or sand will make things much more free draining, but then you need to pay more attention to the plants in the hot...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. xxxDawnxxx

Climbing plant/shrub for partial shaded

Thanks black dog I’m currently trying to rid my garden of ivy growing across the ground, hate the stuff. But I’ll look into your other suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to reply
    Thanks black dog I’m currently trying to rid my garden of ivy growing across the ground, hate the stuff. But I’ll look into your other suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to reply
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Adam1303

Predominently Clematis garden project!

That's just the start! You wait until you stop going on holiday in summer because you might miss something.....;) :biggrin:
    That's just the start! You wait until you stop going on holiday in summer because you might miss something.....;) :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. lowrider69
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. portoman

Straggly Conifers - any ideas?

Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them,...
    Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them, avoiding piling soil or mulch around the trunk itself. When you water them, trickle water slowly into the...
    Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them, avoiding piling soil or mulch around the trunk itself. ...
    Hello portoman, are they planted so the top of the rootball is covered with soil? I can't tell from the photo, but if the roots are exposed then it might be a good idea to mulch over them,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. gooseygoo
    Like x 3

Not a great start

Hi John. Thanks again. I have decided not to have a lawn in the new garden, but this means that I can get on with planting stuff straight away, which is really exciting! Best, Rob
    Hi John. Thanks again. I have decided not to have a lawn in the new garden, but this means that I can get on with planting stuff straight away, which is really exciting! Best, Rob
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Sue1965

New plant given any ideas what it could be about 7ft tall

Ficus robusta, the common Rubber plant which is a house plant and can only be kept outside in the summer months, unless you are in the Mediterranean.
    Ficus robusta, the common Rubber plant which is a house plant and can only be kept outside in the summer months, unless you are in the Mediterranean.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. portoman

Attack of the Lawn Toadstools!

Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Too early for the magic ones, been there done that, 6 hour magical yet terrifying trip :oops:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Dais72

Plants for small pots

Thanks for the tip:). Don't seem to have them in local hardware store. Maybe try garden centre next time I'm down that way.
    Thanks for the tip:). Don't seem to have them in local hardware store. Maybe try garden centre next time I'm down that way.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ScotchCorner

It's a pandemic in the garden! Snails and slugs

Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble for earthworms if too many are spread! Many websites are still going on about metaldehyde poisoning...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble for earthworms if too many are spread! Many...
    Apparently the nasty metaldehyde pellets have not been allowed since March 2021 - the blue ones are now ferric phosphate which is not injurious to birds etc, but apparently can still cause trouble...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice