NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Badboybubba

Hi I'm not sure what this is, if anyone can help it would appreciated. I'm new to this!

A neighbour of mine thinks it could be 'sedum Purple Emperor ' but thanks to all who replied! [emoji5]Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
    A neighbour of mine thinks it could be 'sedum Purple Emperor ' but thanks to all who replied! [emoji5]Sent from my C1905 using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. lizzerti

What on earth is it?

Come on John , lets have the naughty names ! We are all over 18 .:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Granty

Berberis stenophylla lost its flowers, hasn't flowered since

Yes there are.
    Yes there are.
    Yes there are.
    Yes there are.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Hadron

Can anyone recommend a good electric saw?

Knew that they'd come up with good advice Hadron. Such a great bunch of members here on GC .... :dbgrtmb:, Jenny namaste
    Knew that they'd come up with good advice Hadron. Such a great bunch of members here on GC .... :dbgrtmb:, Jenny namaste
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Bricor

Potting Softwood Cuttings in wicking beds

I have stuck laurel, forest flame,privet and rhododendrum cuttings and am about to put them into 13cm/1 litre pots. Can I set pots into a trough with a little water in it and leave the pots to...
    I have stuck laurel, forest flame,privet and rhododendrum cuttings and am about to put them into 13cm/1 litre pots. Can I set pots into a trough with a little water in it and leave the pots to wick or do I continue misting them.
    I have stuck laurel, forest flame,privet and rhododendrum cuttings and am about to put them into 13cm/1 litre pots. Can I set pots into a trough with a little water in it and leave the pots to wick or do I continue misting them.
    I have stuck laurel, forest flame,privet and rhododendrum cuttings and am about to put them into 13cm/1 litre pots. Can I set pots into a trough with a little water in it and leave the pots to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Lone Northern Lass

Complete newbie with wild overgrown lawns - help!

Like @JWK said: I have meadow grass in areas here, I cut it once a month or two with a tractor topping-mower (bit like taking a short hay crop :) ). Anyways, when we decide we want a path, or an...
    Like @JWK said: I have meadow grass in areas here, I cut it once a month or two with a tractor topping-mower (bit like taking a short hay crop :) ). Anyways, when we decide we want a path, or an area of mowed grass, we just cut that rough grass regularly and within a season, or less, it has...
    Like @JWK said: I have meadow grass in areas here, I cut it once a month or two with a tractor topping-mower (bit like taking a short hay crop :) ). Anyways, when we decide we want a path, or an area of mowed grass, we just cut that rough grass...
    Like @JWK said: I have meadow grass in areas here, I cut it once a month or two with a tractor topping-mower (bit like taking a short hay crop :) ). Anyways, when we decide we want a path, or an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Stevesouthern

How to kill off ivy but not grass.

Yes you could re-seed the lawn after. Glyphosate neutralises on contact with the soil.
    Yes you could re-seed the lawn after. Glyphosate neutralises on contact with the soil.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Nash

Ornamental Sage

Unfair! Prats like me frequent it too!!!!!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. miraflores

Still new to gardening...

Wotcha Java,Nice to see you back :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. lee12345

help with grass growing

Hi, we had a problem with patchy areas after a bonfire got a bit out of hand (we wont go there haha!!) - all we did was stab the area with a garden fork, used the cheap grass seed you can pick up...
    Hi, we had a problem with patchy areas after a bonfire got a bit out of hand (we wont go there haha!!) - all we did was stab the area with a garden fork, used the cheap grass seed you can pick up in any gardening store, sprinkled liberally then made a tepee out of bamboo cane and garden mesh to...
    Hi, we had a problem with patchy areas after a bonfire got a bit out of hand (we wont go there haha!!) - all we did was stab the area with a garden fork, used the cheap grass seed you can pick up in any gardening store, sprinkled liberally then...
    Hi, we had a problem with patchy areas after a bonfire got a bit out of hand (we wont go there haha!!) - all we did was stab the area with a garden fork, used the cheap grass seed you can pick up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Lisa Cousins

Trellis over fence advice please

You can attach 3' trellis to the top of the fence [I have done it.]. You will some 1" x 2" wood lengths to attach the trellis to the fence..........but you can only do that if the fence belongs...
    You can attach 3' trellis to the top of the fence [I have done it.]. You will some 1" x 2" wood lengths to attach the trellis to the fence..........but you can only do that if the fence belongs to you and not your neighbour.:dunno::coffee::snork:
    You can attach 3' trellis to the top of the fence [I have done it.]. You will some 1" x 2" wood lengths to attach the trellis to the fence..........but you can only do that if the fence belongs to you and not your neighbour.:dunno::coffee::snork:
    You can attach 3' trellis to the top of the fence [I have done it.]. You will some 1" x 2" wood lengths to attach the trellis to the fence..........but you can only do that if the fence belongs...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Ellie Jones

Clay Soil, what can I plant

Well I've completed the most important part, digging in well rotted manure, not the easiest task, didn't quite get a proper double dig on it, but wasn't far off though.So now off to the...
    Well I've completed the most important part, digging in well rotted manure, not the easiest task, didn't quite get a proper double dig on it, but wasn't far off though.So now off to the garden center (different one) to see if I can gleam any idea's....
    Well I've completed the most important part, digging in well rotted manure, not the easiest task, didn't quite get a proper double dig on it, but wasn't far off though.So now off to the garden center (different one) to see if I can gleam any...
    Well I've completed the most important part, digging in well rotted manure, not the easiest task, didn't quite get a proper double dig on it, but wasn't far off though.So now off to the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Jon Dymond

Rampant Creepers

Thanks all. There appear to be a few different plants in there, but the Virginia Creeper looks right. There is another climber and some hops too! I shall do as you say, particularly the...
    Thanks all. There appear to be a few different plants in there, but the Virginia Creeper looks right. There is another climber and some hops too! I shall do as you say, particularly the trailers-from-main-trunk idea. I have ladders etc so will get up there (when this thunderstorm passes!) and...
    Thanks all. There appear to be a few different plants in there, but the Virginia Creeper looks right. There is another climber and some hops too! I shall do as you say, particularly the trailers-from-main-trunk idea. I have ladders etc so will...
    Thanks all. There appear to be a few different plants in there, but the Virginia Creeper looks right. There is another climber and some hops too! I shall do as you say, particularly the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Luke1989

Help me please

Interesting stuff about it here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. mommaperidot

Jemma's stupid question thread!

P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a...
    P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a specific question :)
    P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a specific question :)
    P.S. Suggest you start a new thread for each question, otherwise replies to various questions overlap each other and get confusing :) Also helps other folk who come along later haveing Googled a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. "M"

Roofs and water collection query.

Let's look at this from a different angle if you'll excuse the pun! :) If the shed in question was going in my garden I'd let the site of where it would be make the decision on what type of roof. If...
    Let's look at this from a different angle if you'll excuse the pun! :) If the shed in question was going in my garden I'd let the site of where it would be make the decision on what type of roof. If the shed is going to be sheltered by perhaps trees it's not going to make any difference how that...
    Let's look at this from a different angle if you'll excuse the pun! :) If the shed in question was going in my garden I'd let the site of where it would be make the decision on what type of roof. If the shed is going to be sheltered by perhaps...
    Let's look at this from a different angle if you'll excuse the pun! :) If the shed in question was going in my garden I'd let the site of where it would be make the decision on what type of roof. If...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. claypit

Essential Tools for the Beginner Gardener?

A Halfmoon Lawn Edger, a genuine great all-rounder in the garden environment.:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. jrd1111

Best trees from throwing seeds

When I bought our house the garden was just bare clay soil put there by the builders but by the time we could move in and I could mow it (about a year and a half later) weeds had grown to waist...
    When I bought our house the garden was just bare clay soil put there by the builders but by the time we could move in and I could mow it (about a year and a half later) weeds had grown to waist height. As I was cutting them down I noticed some stems with broad leaves, so I thought, ah ha! Trees!...
    When I bought our house the garden was just bare clay soil put there by the builders but by the time we could move in and I could mow it (about a year and a half later) weeds had grown to waist height. As I was cutting them down I noticed some...
    When I bought our house the garden was just bare clay soil put there by the builders but by the time we could move in and I could mow it (about a year and a half later) weeds had grown to waist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. jojos

My wasteland, what do?

Go to war on that now. Weedkiller first and then blood, sweat and tears digging it out. You may be able to identify the Raspberry roots and runners and pot these up temporarily.Dig them out....
    Go to war on that now. Weedkiller first and then blood, sweat and tears digging it out. You may be able to identify the Raspberry roots and runners and pot these up temporarily.Dig them out. They ain't got much going for them and do spread.Ultimately I think that you need to look to an...
    Go to war on that now. Weedkiller first and then blood, sweat and tears digging it out. You may be able to identify the Raspberry roots and runners and pot these up temporarily.Dig them out. They ain't got much going for them and do...
    Go to war on that now. Weedkiller first and then blood, sweat and tears digging it out. You may be able to identify the Raspberry roots and runners and pot these up temporarily.Dig them out....
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Ping

Completely new to gardening! What to do with my garden?! (Help and ideas needed)

Because you want to maximise the grass and to plant screening plants, you might find it a lot easier not having a border at all.The no border method means any border appears naturally as the...
    Because you want to maximise the grass and to plant screening plants, you might find it a lot easier not having a border at all.The no border method means any border appears naturally as the plants grow.Dig a big hole depending on the plant (up to 2 x 2 x 2 ft or more for tree saplings)....
    Because you want to maximise the grass and to plant screening plants, you might find it a lot easier not having a border at all.The no border method means any border appears naturally as the plants grow.Dig a big hole depending on the plant...
    Because you want to maximise the grass and to plant screening plants, you might find it a lot easier not having a border at all.The no border method means any border appears naturally as the...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice