NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. weedaway
    Like x 4

Will they come back next year

There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with perfect results.:noidea:I trim mine all back by half, repot as all mine are in the borders, and place in my...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with perfect results.:noidea:I trim mine all back by half, repot...
    There are a couple ways with Pelargoniums, as you have rightly mentioned, personally speaking I'm unsuccessful with the dry method...don't know why as my Mum always adopted that method with...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. McTavish14

Help identify please

There's ivy behind the big leaves. There's never been white flowers. Would they be on Russian vine? Some leaves starting to turn red. Son in negotiations with neighbours re fence panels. Hoping to...
    There's ivy behind the big leaves. There's never been white flowers. Would they be on Russian vine? Some leaves starting to turn red. Son in negotiations with neighbours re fence panels. Hoping to replace them so will probably be starting fresh next year. Thank you for your help
    There's ivy behind the big leaves. There's never been white flowers. Would they be on Russian vine? Some leaves starting to turn red. Son in negotiations with neighbours re fence panels. Hoping to replace them so will probably be starting fresh...
    There's ivy behind the big leaves. There's never been white flowers. Would they be on Russian vine? Some leaves starting to turn red. Son in negotiations with neighbours re fence panels. Hoping to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. xf8u39

Landscaping advice needed please

I wouldn't plant conifers within 40ft of any building or mains services Michael. Their roots are shallow and will spread over that distance, possibly damaging foundations and pipework in search of...
    I wouldn't plant conifers within 40ft of any building or mains services Michael. Their roots are shallow and will spread over that distance, possibly damaging foundations and pipework in search of water. They will also sap the soil of water and nutrients making it difficult to grow other plants....
    I wouldn't plant conifers within 40ft of any building or mains services Michael. Their roots are shallow and will spread over that distance, possibly damaging foundations and pipework in search of water. They will also sap the soil of water and...
    I wouldn't plant conifers within 40ft of any building or mains services Michael. Their roots are shallow and will spread over that distance, possibly damaging foundations and pipework in search of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Jkerr

Privacy trees suggestions

One Prunus lusitanica about two meters tall to start. Evergreen. Keep trimmed especially on neighbour's side so it does not invade. I had one in Buckinghamshire. Never seen one here in...
    One Prunus lusitanica about two meters tall to start. Evergreen. Keep trimmed especially on neighbour's side so it does not invade. I had one in Buckinghamshire. Never seen one here in Portugal. :heehee: Perhaps something climbing would be better to keep contained?
    One Prunus lusitanica about two meters tall to start. Evergreen. Keep trimmed especially on neighbour's side so it does not invade. I had one in Buckinghamshire. Never seen one here in Portugal. :heehee: Perhaps something climbing would be better...
    One Prunus lusitanica about two meters tall to start. Evergreen. Keep trimmed especially on neighbour's side so it does not invade. I had one in Buckinghamshire. Never seen one here in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. TimGrayling

ideas for maintaining space between plants

Thanks very much, I will take that advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. TimGrayling

tree roots

Ok, thanks for that. With a bit of luck they will be nothing to do with the tree.
    Ok, thanks for that. With a bit of luck they will be nothing to do with the tree.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. portoman

Wood Treatment for New Planters - Ideas please!

I'm the proud owner of a deep fat fryer, so I buy those 5 litre containers of sunflower oil to fill it up.
    I'm the proud owner of a deep fat fryer, so I buy those 5 litre containers of sunflower oil to fill it up.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. JimmyB

Taking down my raised beds…

Yeah - that looks effective but I lose the view of the wood which I'd prefer to keep: I'd make everything from wood if I could...love the textures and natural feel it brings, specially in a...
    Yeah - that looks effective but I lose the view of the wood which I'd prefer to keep: I'd make everything from wood if I could...love the textures and natural feel it brings, specially in a garden. (Hence the new green house which a mate, tongue in cheek, called L'Orangerie the other day... I...
    Yeah - that looks effective but I lose the view of the wood which I'd prefer to keep: I'd make everything from wood if I could...love the textures and natural feel it brings, specially in a garden. (Hence the new green house which a mate, tongue...
    Yeah - that looks effective but I lose the view of the wood which I'd prefer to keep: I'd make everything from wood if I could...love the textures and natural feel it brings, specially in a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. portoman

Soil Calculation for Planters - seems too much?

The B&Q 125l bag of multipurpose compost is extremely heavy.G.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. portoman

In a planter - should I cut holes above the drainage hole?

I use broken up polystyrene in the bottom of planters and big pots to aid drainage and in order to aid water retention in summer I mix in water retention granules with the compost.
    I use broken up polystyrene in the bottom of planters and big pots to aid drainage and in order to aid water retention in summer I mix in water retention granules with the compost.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Andrea Youll

Hypericum nummalarium

Yes I looked it up too I'll be over the moon if it looks as pretty as those images . Yeah the pot has drainage holes but I added some pebbles to the bottom before I potted it. I haven't watered...
    Yes I looked it up too I'll be over the moon if it looks as pretty as those images . Yeah the pot has drainage holes but I added some pebbles to the bottom before I potted it. I haven't watered it much either (mainly through forgetfulness) but it doesn't seem to mind, coming from the North...
    Yes I looked it up too I'll be over the moon if it looks as pretty as those images . Yeah the pot has drainage holes but I added some pebbles to the bottom before I potted it. I haven't watered it much either (mainly through forgetfulness) but...
    Yes I looked it up too I'll be over the moon if it looks as pretty as those images . Yeah the pot has drainage holes but I added some pebbles to the bottom before I potted it. I haven't watered...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. JimmyB

Shallots and garlic

I grow shallot Zebrune (same as pete above) - a packet of seed is a couple of quid which last me 2 or 3 years - growing around 50 plants/year. Sow in Jan/Feb in seed trays and aim to be hardening...
    I grow shallot Zebrune (same as pete above) - a packet of seed is a couple of quid which last me 2 or 3 years - growing around 50 plants/year. Sow in Jan/Feb in seed trays and aim to be hardening off and planting outside in March / April depending on weather conditions. Harvested in Sept and...
    I grow shallot Zebrune (same as pete above) - a packet of seed is a couple of quid which last me 2 or 3 years - growing around 50 plants/year. Sow in Jan/Feb in seed trays and aim to be hardening off and planting outside in March / April...
    I grow shallot Zebrune (same as pete above) - a packet of seed is a couple of quid which last me 2 or 3 years - growing around 50 plants/year. Sow in Jan/Feb in seed trays and aim to be hardening...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Vegasbaby

removing heavily weeded area

Some photos would be good. This doesn't sound like a one year fix to me, sort the fencing out by all means. Not quite understanding the part about culvert, drainage ditches?I'd remove all ivy...
    Some photos would be good. This doesn't sound like a one year fix to me, sort the fencing out by all means. Not quite understanding the part about culvert, drainage ditches?I'd remove all ivy by hand from around each tree to a circle of at least a couple if feet from the trunks. Don't...
    Some photos would be good. This doesn't sound like a one year fix to me, sort the fencing out by all means. Not quite understanding the part about culvert, drainage ditches?I'd remove all ivy by hand from around each tree to a circle of at...
    Some photos would be good. This doesn't sound like a one year fix to me, sort the fencing out by all means. Not quite understanding the part about culvert, drainage ditches?I'd remove all ivy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Rayla

Budding Honeysuckle

Great, thanks for the info
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Chris123

Bark treatment

Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a...
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a lovely tree.Lets hope nature sorts it.
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a lovely tree.Lets hope nature sorts it.
    Hi.. thanks for the reply.Hes managed to nibble id say the front half.. but as in the pics there is a fair bit left.I guess its just a case of seeing what happens.. could scream as its such a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. JordanCornish

Complete beginner here!

Hi Jordan welcome, I'm new here too but loving the advice. Look forward to seeing plants grow :)
    Hi Jordan welcome, I'm new here too but loving the advice. Look forward to seeing plants grow :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Genevieve75

Rhododendron - still a stem with leaves at the top after 3 years!

Thanks Pete. I'll follow your advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. PJA190
    Like x 6

New Gardener - Newbie advice welcome

You sound quite an expert already:)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Kelc

Help needed please

Thankyou I will certainly go look for that book now
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Kelc

New seeds

Aww love that
    Aww love that
    Aww love that
    Aww love that
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice