1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Gardeners !

An area specifically designed for those that are new to gardening or growing.

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. bexy13

What do i do...My veg won't grow oh no!

This thread will explain things - if you can plough through all 18 pages. :) In the last few pages you'll also see pictures of some of the members. :)
    This thread will explain things - if you can plough through all 18 pages. :) In the last few pages you'll also see pictures of some of the members. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. budala15

How often should I water these new shrubs?

Apart from the first week or so, to keep it alive!, I disagree with frequent watering. I think that regular watering makes the plant dependent on that supply of water, and encourages roots at the...
    Apart from the first week or so, to keep it alive!, I disagree with frequent watering. I think that regular watering makes the plant dependent on that supply of water, and encourages roots at the surface (where the water is provided) rather than growing roots downwards - where there will always...
    Apart from the first week or so, to keep it alive!, I disagree with frequent watering. I think that regular watering makes the plant dependent on that supply of water, and encourages roots at the surface (where the water is provided) rather than...
    Apart from the first week or so, to keep it alive!, I disagree with frequent watering. I think that regular watering makes the plant dependent on that supply of water, and encourages roots at the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sarochka

Dwarf hedge

Fantastic, thank you so much for your help!
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Mike Smith

Mulch ?.

Good post.Anything that provides a protective top layer could be described as a mulch.Nobody has mentioned cardboard as a mulch - this can be a good, quick means of stopping or slowing weed...
    Good post.Anything that provides a protective top layer could be described as a mulch.Nobody has mentioned cardboard as a mulch - this can be a good, quick means of stopping or slowing weed growth and can be topped up with more cardboard when it starts to biodegrade.The allotment...
    Good post.Anything that provides a protective top layer could be described as a mulch.Nobody has mentioned cardboard as a mulch - this can be a good, quick means of stopping or slowing weed growth and can be topped up with more cardboard...
    Good post.Anything that provides a protective top layer could be described as a mulch.Nobody has mentioned cardboard as a mulch - this can be a good, quick means of stopping or slowing weed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. TerryTerryTerry

the first post from me...an easy one!!

Welcome Terry :) Just want to ask: when you say you have bought a house .. how recent it that? :noidea: The rule of thumb when buying a property is to wait out the first year... just to see what comes...
    Welcome Terry :) Just want to ask: when you say you have bought a house .. how recent it that? :noidea: The rule of thumb when buying a property is to wait out the first year... just to see what comes up and where and then ... what to keep/remove. For example: the rose - was it a bush, a climber,...
    Welcome Terry :) Just want to ask: when you say you have bought a house .. how recent it that? :noidea: The rule of thumb when buying a property is to wait out the first year... just to see what comes up and where and then ... what to keep/remove. ...
    Welcome Terry :) Just want to ask: when you say you have bought a house .. how recent it that? :noidea: The rule of thumb when buying a property is to wait out the first year... just to see what comes...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Rachel123

First Post....what to grow?!

Aye, its a bit of a culture shock. The centre is well worth a visit for all the touristy stuff, but out here in the suburbs its just traffic and buildings.
    Aye, its a bit of a culture shock. The centre is well worth a visit for all the touristy stuff, but out here in the suburbs its just traffic and buildings.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Dips

Whats going on with my Alliums?

Hee hee, that's what I was thinking when I read the problem. Waitrose problery did make a mistake (or whoever they buy them from)
    Hee hee, that's what I was thinking when I read the problem. Waitrose problery did make a mistake (or whoever they buy them from)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Sarochka

Creating a new border.

Beware that Shrubs take a while to grow. They aren't going to be "big bushy shrubs" for probably 5 years from planting ... OTOH they retain their height year-to-year, so are putting on a show from...
    Beware that Shrubs take a while to grow. They aren't going to be "big bushy shrubs" for probably 5 years from planting ... OTOH they retain their height year-to-year, so are putting on a show from the moment they come into leaf in the Spring (and of course you might choose something evergreen...
    Beware that Shrubs take a while to grow. They aren't going to be "big bushy shrubs" for probably 5 years from planting ... OTOH they retain their height year-to-year, so are putting on a show from the moment they come into leaf in the Spring (and...
    Beware that Shrubs take a while to grow. They aren't going to be "big bushy shrubs" for probably 5 years from planting ... OTOH they retain their height year-to-year, so are putting on a show from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. "M"

Idiots guide to fuchsia cuttings: please.

Here`s 10 I took today while cutting the lawn.. Shrimp Cocktail if I remember right.
    Here`s 10 I took today while cutting the lawn.. Shrimp Cocktail if I remember right.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. NorthantsGeezer

Destroyed :(

I'll need to look at the vids later - I am at work in a metal framed building with thick walls so my mobile signal isn't up to supporting videoSent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    I'll need to look at the vids later - I am at work in a metal framed building with thick walls so my mobile signal isn't up to supporting videoSent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. steve1978

South facing wall help pls?

Not really climb up it, it's not a strong fence so I'm thinking more shrub type of action!
    Not really climb up it, it's not a strong fence so I'm thinking more shrub type of action!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. steve1978

North facing wall climber.... Clay sub soil

Yes, Honeysuckle does very well here.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. steve1978

Moving a small oak tree

Right. Get your bulldozer crew to dig eight feet around it and ten feet down. Then get your helicopters to gently lift it to the new home. Have an even larger crater waiting for it which you have...
    Right. Get your bulldozer crew to dig eight feet around it and ten feet down. Then get your helicopters to gently lift it to the new home. Have an even larger crater waiting for it which you have nourished for three years with compost, leaf mold etc. Lower the tree in. Bulldozer team may have...
    Right. Get your bulldozer crew to dig eight feet around it and ten feet down. Then get your helicopters to gently lift it to the new home. Have an even larger crater waiting for it which you have nourished for three years with compost, leaf mold...
    Right. Get your bulldozer crew to dig eight feet around it and ten feet down. Then get your helicopters to gently lift it to the new home. Have an even larger crater waiting for it which you have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sparsons92287

Can anybody identify these vines?

I go with Campsis for the above pic No1. I thought one of the earlier ones with the heart shaped leaves might be Aristolochia.
    I go with Campsis for the above pic No1. I thought one of the earlier ones with the heart shaped leaves might be Aristolochia.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Paul Sanderson

To leave or not to leave...

Just a thought Paul. Do you really want to plant five trees that close together? You have to think about their overall mature height and spread as well as root cramping.
    Just a thought Paul. Do you really want to plant five trees that close together? You have to think about their overall mature height and spread as well as root cramping.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Smileville

UFO!

I was going on the basis that they were declared to be a garden plant.Malva leafMalva buds
    I was going on the basis that they were declared to be a garden plant.Malva leafMalva buds
    20140620_193759.jpg 20140620_193812.jpg Tansy.jpg Ragwort or not1.jpg malva buds 2.jpg malva leaf.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Star Jasmine

When will my phlox flower?

with the folliage being dark the flowers should be the same , new variety to me
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Paul Sanderson

A few questions - again...

Yes, if you are lucky. We have never managed to keep the original plant over winter, but cuttings do survive quite easily, in the same way as Pelargoniums do.
    Yes, if you are lucky. We have never managed to keep the original plant over winter, but cuttings do survive quite easily, in the same way as Pelargoniums do.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. NorthantsGeezer

Just a quickie!

It's all down to experience (or lack of) I guess :) Here is a before and after pic.
    It's all down to experience (or lack of) I guess :) Here is a before and after pic.
    IMG_00000021.jpg IMG_00000074.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Paul Sanderson

Weed control...

Ha thanks for the reply! Looks like the battle with the nettles will continue!!Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Ha thanks for the reply! Looks like the battle with the nettles will continue!!Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice