1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Other Plants

Any Other Plants Not Covered In Other Areas, Including House Plants Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1. Auntpol

starting perennials early?

The way that I see it is that some things are fine started off early if they have certain characteristics. I've just started off Lobelia Queen Victoria - it has a basal growth habit (ie; new...
    The way that I see it is that some things are fine started off early if they have certain characteristics. I've just started off Lobelia Queen Victoria - it has a basal growth habit (ie; new shoots develop from the root stock) so although it could get leggy what I do is to cut the top off at...
    The way that I see it is that some things are fine started off early if they have certain characteristics. I've just started off Lobelia Queen Victoria - it has a basal growth habit (ie; new shoots develop from the root stock) so although it...
    The way that I see it is that some things are fine started off early if they have certain characteristics. I've just started off Lobelia Queen Victoria - it has a basal growth habit (ie; new...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sal73

Eden Project poisonous seed bracelet

Now how am I going to explain this to the mother-in-law! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Now how am I going to explain this to the mother-in-law! :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. **Yvonne**

Salvia?

It is nice, isn't it. If you kept in the greenhouse in the winter you might be able to get it to survive, then you could take cuttings next spring. I bought a similar but much taller and lankier...
    It is nice, isn't it. If you kept in the greenhouse in the winter you might be able to get it to survive, then you could take cuttings next spring. I bought a similar but much taller and lankier plant a few weeks ago, that one's definitely a salvia but the leaves, flowers and overall shape are...
    It is nice, isn't it. If you kept in the greenhouse in the winter you might be able to get it to survive, then you could take cuttings next spring. I bought a similar but much taller and lankier plant a few weeks ago, that one's definitely a...
    It is nice, isn't it. If you kept in the greenhouse in the winter you might be able to get it to survive, then you could take cuttings next spring. I bought a similar but much taller and lankier...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Chiaroscuro

Lavatera Question

Thanks both. :) Pete - yes, I'm not sure how the Ceonothus will react to being cut right back, it's the evergreen variety and I read beforehand that they don't really need pruning at all. ...
    Thanks both. :) Pete - yes, I'm not sure how the Ceonothus will react to being cut right back, it's the evergreen variety and I read beforehand that they don't really need pruning at all. Unfortunately it was attracting loads of flies and as it was right outside the kitchen window every time we...
    Thanks both. :) Pete - yes, I'm not sure how the Ceonothus will react to being cut right back, it's the evergreen variety and I read beforehand that they don't really need pruning at all. Unfortunately it was attracting loads of flies and as it...
    Thanks both. :) Pete - yes, I'm not sure how the Ceonothus will react to being cut right back, it's the evergreen variety and I read beforehand that they don't really need pruning at all. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. goldy66

Yukka thing?

If you like Phormiums there are many coloured varieties, red, Yellow, purple etc, some are a lot smaller than yours and may suit the area better.
    If you like Phormiums there are many coloured varieties, red, Yellow, purple etc, some are a lot smaller than yours and may suit the area better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. raebhoop

Wintering Gunnera

Lucky you...I'd have chickens too but the cost of securing the garden would be too much.
    Lucky you...I'd have chickens too but the cost of securing the garden would be too much.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Sirius

What species of Bamboo do you have?

Growers in India and China etc use hormones to make the Bamboo flower and they get the seeds from that.
    Growers in India and China etc use hormones to make the Bamboo flower and they get the seeds from that.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Fat Controller

Cheese plant question

Thanks Daisees - I'll chop them off over the weekend.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. SAsplin

Marigold?

The future's bright....apparently.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. liliana

Pink perennial shrub

Thanks, I now have made further checks with your link. I have found it is called Eupatorium purpureum or Joe Pye Weed. Thanks for your help.
    Thanks, I now have made further checks with your link. I have found it is called Eupatorium purpureum or Joe Pye Weed. Thanks for your help.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Bilbo675
    Like x 3

Impatiens Lovers......

Cover your butt and take cuttings from each - they strike super easily.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Verdun

Agastaches

I got Agastache aurantiaca, but they where seeds, which mixed colours of peach, pink and blues. They are really striking. I don't think they are invasive, but they do have a spreading rootstock....
    I got Agastache aurantiaca, but they where seeds, which mixed colours of peach, pink and blues. They are really striking. I don't think they are invasive, but they do have a spreading rootstock. They are native to semi desert areas, but don't see a huge amount of cold.. these are hardy to about...
    I got Agastache aurantiaca, but they where seeds, which mixed colours of peach, pink and blues. They are really striking. I don't think they are invasive, but they do have a spreading rootstock. They are native to semi desert areas, but don't see...
    I got Agastache aurantiaca, but they where seeds, which mixed colours of peach, pink and blues. They are really striking. I don't think they are invasive, but they do have a spreading rootstock....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Kristen

Dahlias - possible cuttings-swap Spring 2013?

I have loads of Dahlias. I went to Crews Hill Gardeners Club in April, and they were flogging them - £1 a tuber. Needless to say I went overboard!
    I have loads of Dahlias. I went to Crews Hill Gardeners Club in April, and they were flogging them - £1 a tuber. Needless to say I went overboard!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ennnceee

Thunbergia (BES) more than one year?

I agree with you Harry they are touch tender - best treated as an annual as the new plants are always better than the saved thunbergia plants. However if grown in a pot they do need to be...
    I agree with you Harry they are touch tender - best treated as an annual as the new plants are always better than the saved thunbergia plants. However if grown in a pot they do need to be overwintered indoors. A friend grew them up a trellis and did cut them back, covered them overwinter and...
    I agree with you Harry they are touch tender - best treated as an annual as the new plants are always better than the saved thunbergia plants. However if grown in a pot they do need to be overwintered indoors. A friend grew them up a trellis and...
    I agree with you Harry they are touch tender - best treated as an annual as the new plants are always better than the saved thunbergia plants. However if grown in a pot they do need to be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Sussexgardener

A question about perennials

I'll keep an eye out next Spring and see what emerges...then get dividing. Thanks for the advice
    I'll keep an eye out next Spring and see what emerges...then get dividing. Thanks for the advice
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Verdun

Echinaceas

Hi Verdun, I'm envious of other members gardens believe me!!! Some of the gardens displayed in the pics are tremendous and show a lot of devotion and passion. I'm afraid I just bumble along and...
    Hi Verdun, I'm envious of other members gardens believe me!!! Some of the gardens displayed in the pics are tremendous and show a lot of devotion and passion. I'm afraid I just bumble along and keep packing plants in the borders and try to grow anything I see and like: I...
    Hi Verdun, I'm envious of other members gardens believe me!!! Some of the gardens displayed in the pics are tremendous and show a lot of devotion and passion. I'm afraid I just bumble along and keep packing plants in the borders and try to grow...
    Hi Verdun, I'm envious of other members gardens believe me!!! Some of the gardens displayed in the pics are tremendous and show a lot of devotion and passion. I'm afraid I just bumble along and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. SimonZ

Transplanting Sedum telephium

Love reading Christopher Lloyd
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. wiseowl

Geraniums/Cranesbill

I feel a bit of fence-sitting coming on! If you're taking cuttings from existing plants in your garden, then yes, you don't need to moly-coddle them too much. Snip, re-home, and walk away, quite...
    I feel a bit of fence-sitting coming on! If you're taking cuttings from existing plants in your garden, then yes, you don't need to moly-coddle them too much. Snip, re-home, and walk away, quite happy in the knowledge that you almost certainly have a new addition to your family. :-) However,...
    I feel a bit of fence-sitting coming on! If you're taking cuttings from existing plants in your garden, then yes, you don't need to moly-coddle them too much. Snip, re-home, and walk away, quite happy in the knowledge that you almost certainly...
    I feel a bit of fence-sitting coming on! If you're taking cuttings from existing plants in your garden, then yes, you don't need to moly-coddle them too much. Snip, re-home, and walk away, quite...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Leepen

Help with Stephanotis

stephanotis doesn't seem to like the dry air in heated rooms, had the same problem, put it in less heated room and problem disappeared tricky is to find a less heated room which is not too cold,...
    stephanotis doesn't seem to like the dry air in heated rooms, had the same problem, put it in less heated room and problem disappeared tricky is to find a less heated room which is not too cold, though the other way is to do sth to increase the humidity in the air, but occasional spraying is...
    stephanotis doesn't seem to like the dry air in heated rooms, had the same problem, put it in less heated room and problem disappeared tricky is to find a less heated room which is not too cold, though the other way is to do sth to increase the...
    stephanotis doesn't seem to like the dry air in heated rooms, had the same problem, put it in less heated room and problem disappeared tricky is to find a less heated room which is not too cold,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jim Macdonald

Winter Garden - Cornus alba sibirica Westonbirt

I cut my Cornus plants down (to stool them) in the Spring and use them as "pea sticks" in the vegetable patch ... and most of them root!
    I cut my Cornus plants down (to stool them) in the Spring and use them as "pea sticks" in the vegetable patch ... and most of them root!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice