1. Photo Competition
    MAY'S PHOTO COMPETITION IS OPEN!

The theme this month is "Made it through the winter" so get your best falsetto voices ready and show us what has been Stayin' Alive

Please Click Here!

Other Plants

Any Other Plants Not Covered In Other Areas, Including House Plants Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Barbara Green

How do I grow clematis?

There are some interesting articles on Clematis here:and this one on planting (which has a contrary view to the norm):
    There are some interesting articles on Clematis here:and this one on planting (which has a contrary view to the norm):
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. begoodian

What to do with Clematis

My back porch is practically a greenhouse so will keep in there til cold passes. Will stick it out in my border after about a week. From what i can read, they aren't too fussy about the type of soil?
    My back porch is practically a greenhouse so will keep in there til cold passes. Will stick it out in my border after about a week. From what i can read, they aren't too fussy about the type of soil?
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. HarryS

Hydrangea Non Flowering ?

pruning and feeding comes to mind as depending on the variety if he prunes too early he can cut all the blooms off for this year if its a early one , but what type is it ?? , if he has had it a...
    pruning and feeding comes to mind as depending on the variety if he prunes too early he can cut all the blooms off for this year if its a early one , but what type is it ?? , if he has had it a while ? what's changed , getting crowded out ? less sunshine ? Spruce
    pruning and feeding comes to mind as depending on the variety if he prunes too early he can cut all the blooms off for this year if its a early one , but what type is it ?? , if he has had it a while ? what's changed , getting crowded out ? less...
    pruning and feeding comes to mind as depending on the variety if he prunes too early he can cut all the blooms off for this year if its a early one , but what type is it ?? , if he has had it a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. sal73

Nephentes Linda

Sal, Wustaba's plants are a lot more than £2.50! But a lot of them are very rare in cultivation and you can't get them anywhere else.
    Sal, Wustaba's plants are a lot more than £2.50! But a lot of them are very rare in cultivation and you can't get them anywhere else.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Scorpio1968

Delphinium nudicaule "Fox"

I'm actually about to order these at last. If anyone has found this thread from page 1 of Google, don't buy them, or anything for that matter from Plants of Distinction. They don't send goods...
    I'm actually about to order these at last. If anyone has found this thread from page 1 of Google, don't buy them, or anything for that matter from Plants of Distinction. They don't send goods and then ignore you when you chase them up. Utterly appalling customer service.
    I'm actually about to order these at last. If anyone has found this thread from page 1 of Google, don't buy them, or anything for that matter from Plants of Distinction. They don't send goods and then ignore you when you chase them up. Utterly...
    I'm actually about to order these at last. If anyone has found this thread from page 1 of Google, don't buy them, or anything for that matter from Plants of Distinction. They don't send goods...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Lorea

Planting snowdrops in the green

Thanks Kristen. :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Herb

Late aconites

Thanks for the info Silu. Looking forward to this time next year!!!! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Jiffy

Mahonia

I took some cuttings a few years ago from my M. "charity". It needed cutting back so I used the prunings in April. I just cut the stem in sections each with a leaf joint, the buried the...
    I took some cuttings a few years ago from my M. "charity". It needed cutting back so I used the prunings in April. I just cut the stem in sections each with a leaf joint, the buried the piece,in pots, leaving the leaf protruding. They took about 3 months to show new shoots. The resulting...
    I took some cuttings a few years ago from my M. "charity". It needed cutting back so I used the prunings in April. I just cut the stem in sections each with a leaf joint, the buried the piece,in pots, leaving the leaf protruding. They took...
    I took some cuttings a few years ago from my M. "charity". It needed cutting back so I used the prunings in April. I just cut the stem in sections each with a leaf joint, the buried the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Peorthine

My lavender gone crazy...

I think: Too warm, not enough light. Put it outside during the day (unless it is Arctic!) . After a couple of weeks "hardening off" when it has acclimatised to being outside (leave it out for a...
    I think: Too warm, not enough light. Put it outside during the day (unless it is Arctic!) . After a couple of weeks "hardening off" when it has acclimatised to being outside (leave it out for a few nights that are forecast to be mild towards the end of the "hardening off" period) then plant...
    I think: Too warm, not enough light. Put it outside during the day (unless it is Arctic!) . After a couple of weeks "hardening off" when it has acclimatised to being outside (leave it out for a few nights that are forecast to be mild towards...
    I think: Too warm, not enough light. Put it outside during the day (unless it is Arctic!) . After a couple of weeks "hardening off" when it has acclimatised to being outside (leave it out for a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. merleworld

Dahlias

There is some difference of opinion on this. Scientifically its regarded as a bad idea. I can't quite bring myself (much like you I suppose) to bring myself to do/believe it though ... The...
    There is some difference of opinion on this. Scientifically its regarded as a bad idea. I can't quite bring myself (much like you I suppose) to bring myself to do/believe it though ... The theory is that water is not keen to transition from one substrate to another. So put a layer of, say,...
    There is some difference of opinion on this. Scientifically its regarded as a bad idea. I can't quite bring myself (much like you I suppose) to bring myself to do/believe it though ... The theory is that water is not keen to transition from...
    There is some difference of opinion on this. Scientifically its regarded as a bad idea. I can't quite bring myself (much like you I suppose) to bring myself to do/believe it though ... The...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Robajobs

Agapanthus care

I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you...
    I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you could plant out and give it some protection in the Winter with fleece or dead bracken. I have had A...
    I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you could plant out and give it some protection in the...
    I would leave it in it's pot this year and put outside about the end of April early May. Overwinter it in the greenhouse from November or later depending in the temperatures.The next year you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. dinp

Lonicera Tatarica Honeysuckle

Dinp, Russian Vine is the monster you have read about, otherwise known as 'Mile A Minute'. Prune it one day and it'll be back with a vengeance the next. :)
    Dinp, Russian Vine is the monster you have read about, otherwise known as 'Mile A Minute'. Prune it one day and it'll be back with a vengeance the next. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. silu

Hardiest Evergreen Ceanothus suggestions please.

Dunno if it would be tall enough, but I have a Ceanothus Victoria. Its in a fairly open spot (not against hedge or wall) and has been unphased by the last few Winters where we have had nights of...
    Dunno if it would be tall enough, but I have a Ceanothus Victoria. Its in a fairly open spot (not against hedge or wall) and has been unphased by the last few Winters where we have had nights of -10C - -16C :( Just looked on BBC site and it says 120CM tall. Mine's been in since March 2008 and...
    Dunno if it would be tall enough, but I have a Ceanothus Victoria. Its in a fairly open spot (not against hedge or wall) and has been unphased by the last few Winters where we have had nights of -10C - -16C :( Just looked on BBC site and it...
    Dunno if it would be tall enough, but I have a Ceanothus Victoria. Its in a fairly open spot (not against hedge or wall) and has been unphased by the last few Winters where we have had nights of...
    IMG_2621_CeanothusVictoria.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Dan Dollin

Lilac Tree - How hard can I prune?

I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom...
    I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom for that year but get big lush leaves instead. They tend to respond by throwing up a lot of shoots,...
    I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom for that year but get big lush leaves instead....
    I have three tree-sized lilacs along my fence. They have all had severe pruning down to the trunk and stumps of branches, i.e. no leaves, and survived. I do it in early spring so lose the blossom...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. AndyKiz

Chinese Moneyplant

I thought it was a bee-eater but looked wrong colours to me! Weve had loads of waxwings up here this year, i've even got waxwing poo on my car!! :yes:
    I thought it was a bee-eater but looked wrong colours to me! Weve had loads of waxwings up here this year, i've even got waxwing poo on my car!! :yes:
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. silu

Anybody know about Heleniums

That sounds good to me honeybunny. Tom thumb will give nice complimentary tone to heleniums and cover their foliage
    That sounds good to me honeybunny. Tom thumb will give nice complimentary tone to heleniums and cover their foliage
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Mr Grinch
    Like x 8

The Ultimate Hellebore Thread

I love this plant. Saw them in parent's neighbour's garden and got some of my own this autumn as plug plants. I planted them straight out, and so far apparently they are not to slugs taste ((cross...
    I love this plant. Saw them in parent's neighbour's garden and got some of my own this autumn as plug plants. I planted them straight out, and so far apparently they are not to slugs taste ((cross fingers). But will they flower this year? They haven't so far. I got a common variety, can't...
    I love this plant. Saw them in parent's neighbour's garden and got some of my own this autumn as plug plants. I planted them straight out, and so far apparently they are not to slugs taste ((cross fingers). But will they flower this year? They...
    I love this plant. Saw them in parent's neighbour's garden and got some of my own this autumn as plug plants. I planted them straight out, and so far apparently they are not to slugs taste ((cross...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Grib

Cordyline?

The trunk grows down as well as up so you may have to dig deep. A trick garden centers use to keep tall "cordys" in short pots is to saw the bottom of the trunk off, it doesn't seem to do them any...
    The trunk grows down as well as up so you may have to dig deep. A trick garden centers use to keep tall "cordys" in short pots is to saw the bottom of the trunk off, it doesn't seem to do them any harm. I did it with one of mine because my soil wasn't deep enough. It grew to 17' before the...
    The trunk grows down as well as up so you may have to dig deep. A trick garden centers use to keep tall "cordys" in short pots is to saw the bottom of the trunk off, it doesn't seem to do them any harm. I did it with one of mine because my soil...
    The trunk grows down as well as up so you may have to dig deep. A trick garden centers use to keep tall "cordys" in short pots is to saw the bottom of the trunk off, it doesn't seem to do them any...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. trogre

Geraniums

Grey mildew. It's all over some of the greenhouse plants at this time of year. They need some warm sunshine just as badly as I do. Geraniums always seem to fall prey and look exactly as you...
    Grey mildew. It's all over some of the greenhouse plants at this time of year. They need some warm sunshine just as badly as I do. Geraniums always seem to fall prey and look exactly as you describe. I have some of last year's plants left. They may just die, but I cut off the tops so there's...
    Grey mildew. It's all over some of the greenhouse plants at this time of year. They need some warm sunshine just as badly as I do. Geraniums always seem to fall prey and look exactly as you describe. I have some of last year's plants left....
    Grey mildew. It's all over some of the greenhouse plants at this time of year. They need some warm sunshine just as badly as I do. Geraniums always seem to fall prey and look exactly as you...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. joolz68

Evergreen perennials

I bought one from wilkinsons at christmas,its in the GH and still alive,all the established ones in gardens around here are still looking great after the snow :)
    I bought one from wilkinsons at christmas,its in the GH and still alive,all the established ones in gardens around here are still looking great after the snow :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice