Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl
    Like x 4

Rose ID Thread

? Mystery Rose. Rosa Sericea 'Pteracantha' comes to mind.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

MEMBERS ROSES - 2020

Good afternoon @Victoria my dear friend yes it has a wonderful very strong fragrance of Honey and Peach with a hint of oranges;)
    Good afternoon @Victoria my dear friend yes it has a wonderful very strong fragrance of Honey and Peach with a hint of oranges;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Mike Allen

The Rose Society UK

I agree about the gardens and historic houses. My problem now is. I am getting out and about less and less.
    I agree about the gardens and historic houses. My problem now is. I am getting out and about less and less.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wiseowl
    Like x 3

Christian Named Roses 2020

It sounds like a wonderful rose....My MiL loved roses, and loved the summertime. She passed away last autumn. I’m seriously thinking of trying to track this down as a tribute plant to her.
    It sounds like a wonderful rose....My MiL loved roses, and loved the summertime. She passed away last autumn. I’m seriously thinking of trying to track this down as a tribute plant to her.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl
    Like x 8

Rose Of The Year 2020

It looks like the romantic shape of rose, woo, that you would give to your Wife in a bouquet. I'd like to see it in real life to smell the scent and see it in true light.........a very nice rose.:love30::thumbsup:
    It looks like the romantic shape of rose, woo, that you would give to your Wife in a bouquet. I'd like to see it in real life to smell the scent and see it in true light.........a very nice rose.:love30::thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Sandy Ground

Black Spot thoughts

By all means @Mike Allen I will welcome any and all input.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Friendly x 3

ROSE PROBLEMS/BLACK SPOT/ Etc

Rose Replant DiseaseRose replant disease (sometimes called rose sickness) occurs when a new rose is bought to replace an old one and is planted in the same soil. It is generally considered that...
    Rose Replant DiseaseRose replant disease (sometimes called rose sickness) occurs when a new rose is bought to replace an old one and is planted in the same soil. It is generally considered that the cause is a combination of soil imbalance caused by the removal of trace elements from the soil...
    Rose Replant DiseaseRose replant disease (sometimes called rose sickness) occurs when a new rose is bought to replace an old one and is planted in the same soil. It is generally considered that the cause is a combination of soil imbalance...
    Rose Replant DiseaseRose replant disease (sometimes called rose sickness) occurs when a new rose is bought to replace an old one and is planted in the same soil. It is generally considered that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wiseowl

The Seven Groups Of Roses

Climbers and Rambler Roses A group of Roses which with support can be made to climb.Ramblers which have long pliable stems/canes with trusses of small flowers and only flower once. Climbers with...
    Climbers and Rambler Roses A group of Roses which with support can be made to climb.Ramblers which have long pliable stems/canes with trusses of small flowers and only flower once. Climbers with stiff canes and are repeat flowering with large flowers.Climber A good example of thisThe...
    Climbers and Rambler Roses A group of Roses which with support can be made to climb.Ramblers which have long pliable stems/canes with trusses of small flowers and only flower once. Climbers with stiff canes and are repeat flowering with large...
    Climbers and Rambler Roses A group of Roses which with support can be made to climb.Ramblers which have long pliable stems/canes with trusses of small flowers and only flower once. Climbers with...
    Warm Wishes.JPG upload_2018-6-21_10-35-47.png Vanessa Bell.JPG image.jpg Stars and stripes.JPG Scented Carpet.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wiseowl
    Useful x 4

Pot Sizes

Thank you, That is going to be really helpful!
    Replies:
    Views:
  11.   » Normal Threads
  12. Loofah

Rose remediation

Chopped!
    Chopped!
    Chopped!
    Chopped!
    IMAG5702.jpg IMAG5701.jpg IMAG5700.jpg IMAG5719.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Black Orchid
    Funny x 6

Has anybody tried to grow rose cuttings in potatoes?

I'm quite fortunate that cuttings from her favourite fucshia have taken, actually I've got about 20 pots now (taking no chances) As for the rose, that's much more sentimental, as it's a Woolies...
    I'm quite fortunate that cuttings from her favourite fucshia have taken, actually I've got about 20 pots now (taking no chances) As for the rose, that's much more sentimental, as it's a Woolies rose, she planted in the 60s and I remember that day vividly for some reason. She didn't like it to...
    I'm quite fortunate that cuttings from her favourite fucshia have taken, actually I've got about 20 pots now (taking no chances) As for the rose, that's much more sentimental, as it's a Woolies rose, she planted in the 60s and I remember that...
    I'm quite fortunate that cuttings from her favourite fucshia have taken, actually I've got about 20 pots now (taking no chances) As for the rose, that's much more sentimental, as it's a Woolies...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. weedaway

Help With Rose Problem

Hi Weedaway, well, perhaps for that particular Rose but I hope you can find space for in the garden somewhere as it will give you much more flowers and pleasure if it's happy where it is growing. ...
    Hi Weedaway, well, perhaps for that particular Rose but I hope you can find space for in the garden somewhere as it will give you much more flowers and pleasure if it's happy where it is growing. But, for other Roses, they can keep flowering sometimes up to December!!:dunno::hapydancsmil:
    Hi Weedaway, well, perhaps for that particular Rose but I hope you can find space for in the garden somewhere as it will give you much more flowers and pleasure if it's happy where it is growing. But, for other Roses, they can keep flowering...
    Hi Weedaway, well, perhaps for that particular Rose but I hope you can find space for in the garden somewhere as it will give you much more flowers and pleasure if it's happy where it is growing. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Selleri

Iceberg climbing over obelisk- training help please

Thanks everyone, I'll cut this shoot and try bending down the next one that is about to grow too tall. Then we'll see what works best for this particular plant. :)I'm a bit rose shy as there...
    Thanks everyone, I'll cut this shoot and try bending down the next one that is about to grow too tall. Then we'll see what works best for this particular plant. :)I'm a bit rose shy as there seems to be just one correct thing to do and everything else is doomed, but apparently roses are in real...
    Thanks everyone, I'll cut this shoot and try bending down the next one that is about to grow too tall. Then we'll see what works best for this particular plant. :)I'm a bit rose shy as there seems to be just one correct thing to do and...
    Thanks everyone, I'll cut this shoot and try bending down the next one that is about to grow too tall. Then we'll see what works best for this particular plant. :)I'm a bit rose shy as there...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Mike Allen

Browsing the Rose Catalogues.

If i ran a nursery I'd consider giving a 5 year warranty on the 15 ltr pots, but i wouldn't give any warranty on the actual plants. Some people would go home shoving their new purchase into a...
    If i ran a nursery I'd consider giving a 5 year warranty on the 15 ltr pots, but i wouldn't give any warranty on the actual plants. Some people would go home shoving their new purchase into a patch of virtual sub soil and then turn up six months later when the poor wretched plant/rose has given...
    If i ran a nursery I'd consider giving a 5 year warranty on the 15 ltr pots, but i wouldn't give any warranty on the actual plants. Some people would go home shoving their new purchase into a patch of virtual sub soil and then turn up six months...
    If i ran a nursery I'd consider giving a 5 year warranty on the 15 ltr pots, but i wouldn't give any warranty on the actual plants. Some people would go home shoving their new purchase into a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Black Orchid

Need advice for my new climbing roses

Thank you all for your recommendations. :yay:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Black Orchid

How to deal with rose sawflies?

Thank you. I will try to use your advice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Tabbee

Climbing Rose Not Flowering

I believe that Noisette's advice is spot on, Tabbee. Could I ask if you have been feeding the Rose at all:scratch: Roses are notoriously hungry feeders and will respond rapidly to a weekly feed of a...
    I believe that Noisette's advice is spot on, Tabbee. Could I ask if you have been feeding the Rose at all:scratch: Roses are notoriously hungry feeders and will respond rapidly to a weekly feed of a high Potash fertiliser, say, something like Tomato Feed. I have a 40 year old Rose "King's Ransom"...
    I believe that Noisette's advice is spot on, Tabbee. Could I ask if you have been feeding the Rose at all:scratch: Roses are notoriously hungry feeders and will respond rapidly to a weekly feed of a high Potash fertiliser, say, something like Tomato...
    I believe that Noisette's advice is spot on, Tabbee. Could I ask if you have been feeding the Rose at all:scratch: Roses are notoriously hungry feeders and will respond rapidly to a weekly feed of a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Black Orchid
    Like x 10

My roses from Manchester to brighten up your day

Thank you. More new roses for you to enjoy.
    IMG_20200805_202021.jpg IMG_20200805_203140.jpg IMG_20200805_202231.jpg IMG_20200805_203604.jpg IMG_20200805_212021.jpg IMG_20200801_204827.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. fred88

Pest or Disease?

Good morning @ricky101 my friend the only other time that I have seen this is with thrips, This damage is generally characterised by deformed buds that may only partially open, or even fall from...
    Good morning @ricky101 my friend the only other time that I have seen this is with thrips, This damage is generally characterised by deformed buds that may only partially open, or even fall from the plant before full bloom.ps.and this is another reason not to water from above as sometimes the...
    Good morning @ricky101 my friend the only other time that I have seen this is with thrips, This damage is generally characterised by deformed buds that may only partially open, or even fall from the plant before full bloom.ps.and this is...
    Good morning @ricky101 my friend the only other time that I have seen this is with thrips, This damage is generally characterised by deformed buds that may only partially open, or even fall from...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. MAJ

Rugosa prune

Thank you for this wisdom. Which allows the bush to fulfil its functions! There is a high thick hedge of rugosa along the lane by this dwelling; it has never been tended except maybe a chopping...
    Thank you for this wisdom. Which allows the bush to fulfil its functions! There is a high thick hedge of rugosa along the lane by this dwelling; it has never been tended except maybe a chopping where it obstructs the lane, and is now thick with hips. Which as you say are there for the birds and...
    Thank you for this wisdom. Which allows the bush to fulfil its functions! There is a high thick hedge of rugosa along the lane by this dwelling; it has never been tended except maybe a chopping where it obstructs the lane, and is now thick with...
    Thank you for this wisdom. Which allows the bush to fulfil its functions! There is a high thick hedge of rugosa along the lane by this dwelling; it has never been tended except maybe a chopping...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Using jars and plastic bags with cuttings

I've actually noticed a lot of pre packaged veg doesn't have holes in the bags anymore;) I know they used to. Got a feeling the plastic bags are filled with carbon dioxide.Sorry not trying to...
    I've actually noticed a lot of pre packaged veg doesn't have holes in the bags anymore;) I know they used to. Got a feeling the plastic bags are filled with carbon dioxide.Sorry not trying to cloud the issue and agree some ventilation of cuttings is normally required .
    I've actually noticed a lot of pre packaged veg doesn't have holes in the bags anymore;) I know they used to. Got a feeling the plastic bags are filled with carbon dioxide.Sorry not trying to cloud the issue and agree some ventilation of cuttings...
    I've actually noticed a lot of pre packaged veg doesn't have holes in the bags anymore;) I know they used to. Got a feeling the plastic bags are filled with carbon dioxide.Sorry not trying to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Wdyl

Cuttings... Is this this too good to be true?

No expert at all, like you I did some experimenting ..we have a very lovely small red rose near our greenhouse that I kept saying it was a shame not be in a more prominent place so I tried taking...
    No expert at all, like you I did some experimenting ..we have a very lovely small red rose near our greenhouse that I kept saying it was a shame not be in a more prominent place so I tried taking some cuttings. I had read somewhere that it was best to take longer cuttings, so mine were about 7-8...
    No expert at all, like you I did some experimenting ..we have a very lovely small red rose near our greenhouse that I kept saying it was a shame not be in a more prominent place so I tried taking some cuttings. I had read somewhere that it was...
    No expert at all, like you I did some experimenting ..we have a very lovely small red rose near our greenhouse that I kept saying it was a shame not be in a more prominent place so I tried taking...
    IMG_20200622_180753_burst_01.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Shyamalie Satkunanandan

Dying self-seeded baby climbing roses

Okay, thanks Pete, I'll try pruning them back.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Upsydaisy

Would this be OK??

Thanks will definitely try again next week, as I said on another thread it proved to be too bigger a job for such a hot day yesterday.
    Thanks will definitely try again next week, as I said on another thread it proved to be too bigger a job for such a hot day yesterday.
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Dpk

Help with elderly rose bush

As above also add some well rotted manure in the autumn/ spring. I put horse manure on mine simply because there was thinking years ago that this was the best stuff to use. Some of mine need a prune.
    As above also add some well rotted manure in the autumn/ spring. I put horse manure on mine simply because there was thinking years ago that this was the best stuff to use. Some of mine need a prune.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. Mike Allen

Roses. Why not,'Layer'?

I still cant see how it can be faster and definitely cant be cheaper, too much labour involved and labour is the biggest money problem these days. Add to that the annoyance of suckers which have...
    I still cant see how it can be faster and definitely cant be cheaper, too much labour involved and labour is the biggest money problem these days. Add to that the annoyance of suckers which have always happened when ever I have tried growing them and it doesn't make any sense to graft for any...
    I still cant see how it can be faster and definitely cant be cheaper, too much labour involved and labour is the biggest money problem these days. Add to that the annoyance of suckers which have always happened when ever I have tried growing...
    I still cant see how it can be faster and definitely cant be cheaper, too much labour involved and labour is the biggest money problem these days. Add to that the annoyance of suckers which have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. andrew smith

Frustrating Rose plant

It is. Botrytis can cause balling, so it might be difficult to tell whether you need to spray or not.Personally I would to be on the safe side, but it's really up to you. The more important...
    It is. Botrytis can cause balling, so it might be difficult to tell whether you need to spray or not.Personally I would to be on the safe side, but it's really up to you. The more important thing is what @KFF said - deadhead promptly, and keep them well-spaced and dry. That's good advice for...
    It is. Botrytis can cause balling, so it might be difficult to tell whether you need to spray or not.Personally I would to be on the safe side, but it's really up to you. The more important thing is what @KFF said - deadhead promptly, and keep...
    It is. Botrytis can cause balling, so it might be difficult to tell whether you need to spray or not.Personally I would to be on the safe side, but it's really up to you. The more important...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. 2nd_bassoon

Where am I going wrong with rose cuttings?

I have had more success with hard wood sticks over winter. Wait until leaves are about to fall, nine inch bits lopped off, inserted eight inches deep around outside of a deep enough pot in a sandy...
    I have had more success with hard wood sticks over winter. Wait until leaves are about to fall, nine inch bits lopped off, inserted eight inches deep around outside of a deep enough pot in a sandy gritty mix. Keep the pot tucked away somewhere and following September, pot up rooted ones. I've...
    I have had more success with hard wood sticks over winter. Wait until leaves are about to fall, nine inch bits lopped off, inserted eight inches deep around outside of a deep enough pot in a sandy gritty mix. Keep the pot tucked away somewhere...
    I have had more success with hard wood sticks over winter. Wait until leaves are about to fall, nine inch bits lopped off, inserted eight inches deep around outside of a deep enough pot in a sandy...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Amanda Phillips

Rose can't support its own weight?

I've got one rose bush and every year I have to support the flowers. I just think thats how some roses are, especially when it rains.
    I've got one rose bush and every year I have to support the flowers. I just think thats how some roses are, especially when it rains.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice