1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Roses

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl

Members Roses 2024

I was many moons ago but I am retired now all the work I do on different Rose beds is all voluntary it keeps my mind and body actively engaged in something I love being associated with
    I was many moons ago but I am retired now all the work I do on different Rose beds is all voluntary it keeps my mind and body actively engaged in something I love being associated with
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. wiseowl
    Like x 8

Rose Of The Year 2024

They’re stopping those they don’t feel are robust enough for the changing climate/diseases (and in comparison to new cultivars, I guess). Tess d’Urberville and Munstead Wood have also gone. Must...
    They’re stopping those they don’t feel are robust enough for the changing climate/diseases (and in comparison to new cultivars, I guess). Tess d’Urberville and Munstead Wood have also gone. Must admit, although I love the colour and scent on MW, mine have never grown very strongly.
    They’re stopping those they don’t feel are robust enough for the changing climate/diseases (and in comparison to new cultivars, I guess). Tess d’Urberville and Munstead Wood have also gone. Must admit, although I love the colour and scent on MW,...
    They’re stopping those they don’t feel are robust enough for the changing climate/diseases (and in comparison to new cultivars, I guess). Tess d’Urberville and Munstead Wood have also gone. Must...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. wiseowl

ITS A GOOD TIME TO PRUNE YOUR ROSES

Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch above the bud, slanting away from the bud and I still teach my students that an angled cut allows...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch above the bud, slanting away from the bud and I...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Informative x 3

Propagating A Rose By Taking A Cutting

ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5 leaves,from the stock plant.Remove all except the top two leaf shoots but keep the buds.Cut the...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5 leaves,from the stock plant.Remove all except the...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5...
    P1340546.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky

Rose Replant Disease

Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose where one has been in the last 2 years? You could suffer from rose replant disease and the rose could...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose where one has been in the last 2 years? You could...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wiseowl
    Like x 11

The History Of The Peace Rose

Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking bottle of homemade perfume. Bless her, she always put on a surprised look ( as adults we now think it...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking bottle of homemade perfume. Bless her, she always...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky

Growing Roses In Pots/Containers

Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A young Rose can be started in container smaller than eventually necessary and repotted as it becomes...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A young Rose can be started in container smaller...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 3

The Seven Groups Of Roses

thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my climbers are a group in themselves and that a few other groups exist. Very new to roses so just having a...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my climbers are a group in themselves and that a few other...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Friendly x 3

ROSE PROBLEMS/BLACK SPOT/ Etc

CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects have no effect on your Rose they can be wiped off by hand or or dislodged with a jet of water from...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects have no effect on your Rose they can be wiped off by...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects...
    18cc0b5799bb2ccd75941b9f866888b0--trimming-roses-trim-roses.jpg 789-Rose-Pruning-Diagram.jpg Capture.JPG 74b6f1e8-5b17-11e5-91ef-1b38574a319f-316x316.jpg Sulphur.JPG cuckoo Spit.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Sandy Ground

Black Spot thoughts

Sounds lovely Sandy Ground, the scent of roses is so evocative of a Summer’s day, and I am an inveterate rose sniffer whenever I come across them.
    Sounds lovely Sandy Ground, the scent of roses is so evocative of a Summer’s day, and I am an inveterate rose sniffer whenever I come across them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. wiseowl
    Useful x 6

Pot Sizes

Thank you, That is going to be really helpful!
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. Jonn

Doomed rose?

Ah, the ancient ritual of biting the bucket....you've got to love the mixed metaphors:old:
    Ah, the ancient ritual of biting the bucket....you've got to love the mixed metaphors:old:
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. TheMadHedger

Which rose bushes have the strongest scents, & which online stores are the best places to buy roses?

I really dislike the scent of Gardenias and winter box, others love it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jacquiscrap

Finding a rose as a memorial

Meilland have a rose called Margaret Mae if that's of any use.This is a Dutch nursery, but they send roses to France as far as l can see. Margaret | Tuincentrum Lottum
    Meilland have a rose called Margaret Mae if that's of any use.This is a Dutch nursery, but they send roses to France as far as l can see. Margaret | Tuincentrum Lottum
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Mr Vine Eye
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. clanless

Control of rose black spot

I'm a big believer in plenty of mulch around Roses to smother any nasties getting splashed back up onto the plants:blue thumb:
    I'm a big believer in plenty of mulch around Roses to smother any nasties getting splashed back up onto the plants:blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. fumanchu

CLIMBERS

Thanks everybody, you lot are such a good help - I think I'll just haul it out and bin it. I got it in a hurry as it was a big fast-growing rose, to cover an ugly fence, but then we put up the...
    Thanks everybody, you lot are such a good help - I think I'll just haul it out and bin it. I got it in a hurry as it was a big fast-growing rose, to cover an ugly fence, but then we put up the trellis & don't need it now. And I'll read the bumf carefully when I replace it. But I could live with...
    Thanks everybody, you lot are such a good help - I think I'll just haul it out and bin it. I got it in a hurry as it was a big fast-growing rose, to cover an ugly fence, but then we put up the trellis & don't need it now. And I'll read the bumf...
    Thanks everybody, you lot are such a good help - I think I'll just haul it out and bin it. I got it in a hurry as it was a big fast-growing rose, to cover an ugly fence, but then we put up the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Butterfield

When to prune roses

Mine get shortened in Sept/Oct to reduce wind rock and then a proper prune between Dec and Mar on a dry, frost free and sunny day. Any later occurring frost/salt wind damage can be tidied up in...
    Mine get shortened in Sept/Oct to reduce wind rock and then a proper prune between Dec and Mar on a dry, frost free and sunny day. Any later occurring frost/salt wind damage can be tidied up in spring. Christmas day is a good one if conditions are right, I also tend to do the soft fruit at the...
    Mine get shortened in Sept/Oct to reduce wind rock and then a proper prune between Dec and Mar on a dry, frost free and sunny day. Any later occurring frost/salt wind damage can be tidied up in spring. Christmas day is a good one if conditions...
    Mine get shortened in Sept/Oct to reduce wind rock and then a proper prune between Dec and Mar on a dry, frost free and sunny day. Any later occurring frost/salt wind damage can be tidied up in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Marlton

Ambridge Rose

Good luck @Marlton with your search my friend I have exausted all my search contacts apart from USA/Australia/New Zealand
    Good luck @Marlton with your search my friend I have exausted all my search contacts apart from USA/Australia/New Zealand
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Bear1

Rose hip seeds from dog rose

If I remember correctly, rosa canina does come true, but there might be a slight bleaching of the flowers(more white than pink on some seedlings). Besides that, they're fairly easy.
    If I remember correctly, rosa canina does come true, but there might be a slight bleaching of the flowers(more white than pink on some seedlings). Besides that, they're fairly easy.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Jacquiec

Please help me with my brown thumb

Thanks a lot for your help; I'll repot it today
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Surfer

Pruning rose bush

Yes @infradig, you're right. I had my winter pruning hat on when I replied. :doh:
    Yes @infradig, you're right. I had my winter pruning hat on when I replied. :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. wiseowl
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. groundbeetle

Has anyone ever bought Poundland roses?

I purchased a total of 8 Poundland "roses",a few months ago.4 were no more than dead sticks,2 were suckers and only 2 authentic roses,although not as advertised. I informed Poundland about...
    I purchased a total of 8 Poundland "roses",a few months ago.4 were no more than dead sticks,2 were suckers and only 2 authentic roses,although not as advertised. I informed Poundland about this,but they did not seem interested in sorting out the poor supply source of these plants. I made sure I...
    I purchased a total of 8 Poundland "roses",a few months ago.4 were no more than dead sticks,2 were suckers and only 2 authentic roses,although not as advertised. I informed Poundland about this,but they did not seem interested in sorting out the...
    I purchased a total of 8 Poundland "roses",a few months ago.4 were no more than dead sticks,2 were suckers and only 2 authentic roses,although not as advertised. I informed Poundland about...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. Fof

Just a question.

No i haven't grown it but i know some hybrid teas are more vigorous than others.
    No i haven't grown it but i know some hybrid teas are more vigorous than others.
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. tricky4511

Rose advice needed

Hi, I moved into this property in December and am still sorting the very neglected garden out. I have bent a main stem over an arch. Q: It is bare in the middle will new shoots fill it in or am i...
    Hi, I moved into this property in December and am still sorting the very neglected garden out. I have bent a main stem over an arch. Q: It is bare in the middle will new shoots fill it in or am i better to use the new shoot and cut the old one away? The old has already been cut at the top left...
    Hi, I moved into this property in December and am still sorting the very neglected garden out. I have bent a main stem over an arch. Q: It is bare in the middle will new shoots fill it in or am i better to use the new shoot and cut the old one...
    Hi, I moved into this property in December and am still sorting the very neglected garden out. I have bent a main stem over an arch. Q: It is bare in the middle will new shoots fill it in or am i...
    IMG_20230729_175702.jpg IMG_20230729_175652.jpg IMG_20230729_175639.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. hydrogardener
    Like x 6

Patience

The taste is excellent and it weight 532 grams.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. SuziCul

New shoot or Rose rosette?

That’s what I thought… about 15 mins after we chopped them all off in a panicyeh it’s the most beautiful climber that I inherited with the house I bought 2 years ago.
    That’s what I thought… about 15 mins after we chopped them all off in a panicyeh it’s the most beautiful climber that I inherited with the house I bought 2 years ago.
    upload_2023-7-16_14-5-48.jpeg upload_2023-7-16_14-17-37.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. Drahcir

To propogate very old rose.

I've never tried to propagate a rose. I've divided pots of miniature roses on a couple of occasions with some success 7 I've grown one from seed. That now flowers every year & has beautiful butter...
    I've never tried to propagate a rose. I've divided pots of miniature roses on a couple of occasions with some success 7 I've grown one from seed. That now flowers every year & has beautiful butter gold single flowers every year at the end of April beginning of May. . . .
    I've never tried to propagate a rose. I've divided pots of miniature roses on a couple of occasions with some success 7 I've grown one from seed. That now flowers every year & has beautiful butter gold single flowers every year at the end of...
    I've never tried to propagate a rose. I've divided pots of miniature roses on a couple of occasions with some success 7 I've grown one from seed. That now flowers every year & has beautiful butter...
    P1080660.JPG P1080662.JPG P1080663.JPG P1080664.JPG P1080665.JPG Chinese rose just opened on balcony 30th April 2023 002 (Macro).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. groundbeetle

Why do roses droop like this?

I think our resident rose expert would agree with me when I say that Potassium will not help much, especially for the first round of blooms, as roses flower on the growth they make this year...
    I think our resident rose expert would agree with me when I say that Potassium will not help much, especially for the first round of blooms, as roses flower on the growth they make this year (well, the bush roses that most people have in their gardens do). Potash as it is also known by will help...
    I think our resident rose expert would agree with me when I say that Potassium will not help much, especially for the first round of blooms, as roses flower on the growth they make this year (well, the bush roses that most people have in their...
    I think our resident rose expert would agree with me when I say that Potassium will not help much, especially for the first round of blooms, as roses flower on the growth they make this year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Raymond Campbell

Rose ID help

Can anyone help to identify this rose from my grandmother's garden? It is around 25 years old, and I believe it is a hybrid tea, though the name itself is long lost to history for us. As pictures...
    Can anyone help to identify this rose from my grandmother's garden? It is around 25 years old, and I believe it is a hybrid tea, though the name itself is long lost to history for us. As pictures attached show, it has very large high centred blooms with gently curved edges, not the typical...
    Can anyone help to identify this rose from my grandmother's garden? It is around 25 years old, and I believe it is a hybrid tea, though the name itself is long lost to history for us. As pictures attached show, it has very large high centred...
    Can anyone help to identify this rose from my grandmother's garden? It is around 25 years old, and I believe it is a hybrid tea, though the name itself is long lost to history for us. As pictures...
    20210628_182515.jpg 20210702_171430.jpg 20210702_171438.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice