1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Roses

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↑
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. wiseowl
    Useful x 7

Pot Sizes

Thank you, That is going to be really helpful!
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Sandy Ground

Black Spot thoughts

Sounds lovely Sandy Ground, the scent of roses is so evocative of a Summer’s day, and I am an inveterate rose sniffer whenever I come across them.
    Sounds lovely Sandy Ground, the scent of roses is so evocative of a Summer’s day, and I am an inveterate rose sniffer whenever I come across them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Friendly x 3

ROSE PROBLEMS/BLACK SPOT/ Etc

CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects have no effect on your Rose they can be wiped off by hand or or dislodged with a jet of water from...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects have no effect on your Rose they can be wiped off by...
    CUCKOO SPIT Cuckoo Spit to me caused by Spittlebugs common name Froghoppers each blob contains a creamy white insect nymph up to 4-6mm (¼in) longApart from producing the "Spit" these insects...
    18cc0b5799bb2ccd75941b9f866888b0--trimming-roses-trim-roses.jpg 789-Rose-Pruning-Diagram.jpg Capture.JPG 74b6f1e8-5b17-11e5-91ef-1b38574a319f-316x316.jpg Sulphur.JPG cuckoo Spit.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 3

The Seven Groups Of Roses

thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my climbers are a group in themselves and that a few other groups exist. Very new to roses so just having a...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my climbers are a group in themselves and that a few other...
    thanks for the info, I was reading about Hybrid Teas & Floribunda Roses, and started to try an work out what group my Climbing roses fell into , this thread has explained very easily that my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky

Growing Roses In Pots/Containers

Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A young Rose can be started in container smaller than eventually necessary and repotted as it becomes...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A young Rose can be started in container smaller...
    Growing Roses In Pots/ContainersRoses can be grown in any pot /Container which has sufficient soil to relate to their growth;the bigger the Rose is intended to be,then the larger the container.A...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. wiseowl
    Like x 11

The History Of The Peace Rose

Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking bottle of homemade perfume. Bless her, she always put on a surprised look ( as adults we now think it...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking bottle of homemade perfume. Bless her, she always...
    Always had a least one in all of my childhood gardens as it was my Mums favourite.We use to collect the petals and make up a concoction ...then proudly present her with a very dubious looking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky

Rose Replant Disease

Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose where one has been in the last 2 years? You could suffer from rose replant disease and the rose could...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose where one has been in the last 2 years? You could...
    Some gardeners have used a cardboard box with the bottom removed to line the hole; by the time the cardboard rots away, the plant has established,problems with tired soil? Trying to plant a rose...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. wiseowl
    Locked Sticky
    Informative x 4

Propagating A Rose By Taking A Cutting

ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5 leaves,from the stock plant.Remove all except the top two leaf shoots but keep the buds.Cut the...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5 leaves,from the stock plant.Remove all except the...
    ROSE CUTTINGS This is the way that I have done it in the past when cars had solid tyres:heehee::heehee::heehee: In late Summer or early Autumn cut a piece of stemup to about 23 cm (9 inches) in length,with about 4 or 5...
    P1340546.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. wiseowl

ITS A GOOD TIME TO PRUNE YOUR ROSES

Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch above the bud, slanting away from the bud and I still teach my students that an angled cut allows...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch above the bud, slanting away from the bud and I...
    Good afternoon @Perki my friend I always say that in the garden rules are meant to guide you and not to bind you especially with Roses but I still make a cut at a 45-degree angle about 1/4 inch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. wiseowl
    Like x 11

Rose Of The Year 2024

Oh thank you, I might have to have a look. I have not bought roses from them before.
    Oh thank you, I might have to have a look. I have not bought roses from them before.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. wiseowl

Members Roses 2024

I've got a couple of tiny buds on my Palais Biron. Completely covered in aphids. I did wipe them off, but they're very determined. Hopefully they won't affect the blooms too badly, it was my...
    I've got a couple of tiny buds on my Palais Biron. Completely covered in aphids. I did wipe them off, but they're very determined. Hopefully they won't affect the blooms too badly, it was my favorite last year.
    I've got a couple of tiny buds on my Palais Biron. Completely covered in aphids. I did wipe them off, but they're very determined. Hopefully they won't affect the blooms too badly, it was my favorite last year.
    I've got a couple of tiny buds on my Palais Biron. Completely covered in aphids. I did wipe them off, but they're very determined. Hopefully they won't affect the blooms too badly, it was my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13.   » Normal Threads
  14. fothers

climbing rose

What do other people in the area grow? That would give you a good idea what would do well in your garden.Or do you want to be different? Personally I like gorse bushes. Sorry I didn't spot it was...
    What do other people in the area grow? That would give you a good idea what would do well in your garden.Or do you want to be different? Personally I like gorse bushes. Sorry I didn't spot it was your question about the clematis plugs. pete2255 [ February 01, 2005, 08:00...
    What do other people in the area grow? That would give you a good idea what would do well in your garden.Or do you want to be different? Personally I like gorse bushes. Sorry I didn't spot it was your question about the clematis plugs. ...
    What do other people in the area grow? That would give you a good idea what would do well in your garden.Or do you want to be different? Personally I like gorse bushes. Sorry I didn't spot it was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Eileen

Primroses

I think its sparrows, they do the same to yellow crocus aswell
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Fran

Roses

Last year I used Roseclear on my roses - seemed to work well initially but was limited to three applications, and later in the season black spot appeared. Have done the usual of clearing old...
    Last year I used Roseclear on my roses - seemed to work well initially but was limited to three applications, and later in the season black spot appeared. Have done the usual of clearing old leaves and re-mulchingMultirose does not limit to 3 - but is it effective?Your help would be much...
    Last year I used Roseclear on my roses - seemed to work well initially but was limited to three applications, and later in the season black spot appeared. Have done the usual of clearing old leaves and re-mulchingMultirose does not limit to 3 -...
    Last year I used Roseclear on my roses - seemed to work well initially but was limited to three applications, and later in the season black spot appeared. Have done the usual of clearing old...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Hannah

Roses

I've taken cuttings of both 'iceberg' and 'zephrine drouhin'about four years ago,Yyou have to be very patient as zephrine drouhin only flowered fo the first time last year and not very much at...
    I've taken cuttings of both 'iceberg' and 'zephrine drouhin'about four years ago,Yyou have to be very patient as zephrine drouhin only flowered fo the first time last year and not very much at that. Dr Hessayon says(it's too long ago to remember what I did)use with ramblers,climbers and vigorous...
    I've taken cuttings of both 'iceberg' and 'zephrine drouhin'about four years ago,Yyou have to be very patient as zephrine drouhin only flowered fo the first time last year and not very much at that. Dr Hessayon says(it's too long ago to remember...
    I've taken cuttings of both 'iceberg' and 'zephrine drouhin'about four years ago,Yyou have to be very patient as zephrine drouhin only flowered fo the first time last year and not very much at...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. juliendave

Roses

Thankyou all for your condolences and good advice ...I'm sure i will be able to find a suitable Rose in memory of dad.. Thanks again Julie X
    Thankyou all for your condolences and good advice ...I'm sure i will be able to find a suitable Rose in memory of dad.. Thanks again Julie X
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. The Skiver

Another Rose Question

Its a tad on the late side for those that need spring pruning - but if you prune now, they should still flower this season, although perhaps a lot later, if they are the variety that should have...
    Its a tad on the late side for those that need spring pruning - but if you prune now, they should still flower this season, although perhaps a lot later, if they are the variety that should have been pruned in the autumn, the ramblers, you could have a problem.
    Its a tad on the late side for those that need spring pruning - but if you prune now, they should still flower this season, although perhaps a lot later, if they are the variety that should have been pruned in the autumn, the ramblers, you could...
    Its a tad on the late side for those that need spring pruning - but if you prune now, they should still flower this season, although perhaps a lot later, if they are the variety that should have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. alisonfan

Rose hedge

Depends on if the rosa rugosas were grafted stock, if they were then no, or at least not the rose your growing, possibly briar stock (tear the suckers off rather than cutting them back), if not...
    Depends on if the rosa rugosas were grafted stock, if they were then no, or at least not the rose your growing, possibly briar stock (tear the suckers off rather than cutting them back), if not then possibly yes. But be warned, I have a rose rugosas grown from a cutting by a friend and the...
    Depends on if the rosa rugosas were grafted stock, if they were then no, or at least not the rose your growing, possibly briar stock (tear the suckers off rather than cutting them back), if not then possibly yes. But be warned, I have a rose...
    Depends on if the rosa rugosas were grafted stock, if they were then no, or at least not the rose your growing, possibly briar stock (tear the suckers off rather than cutting them back), if not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Charlie

Beginner to roses need help

Hi Mrs Cloudy, Yes I do have good drainage holes. I actually now believe I've been watering just that bit too much. I'm going to slacken off now. Any help on week by week care ie when do I feed...
    Hi Mrs Cloudy, Yes I do have good drainage holes. I actually now believe I've been watering just that bit too much. I'm going to slacken off now. Any help on week by week care ie when do I feed and what with? Thanks for the advice Charlie
    Hi Mrs Cloudy, Yes I do have good drainage holes. I actually now believe I've been watering just that bit too much. I'm going to slacken off now. Any help on week by week care ie when do I feed and what with? Thanks for the advice Charlie
    Hi Mrs Cloudy, Yes I do have good drainage holes. I actually now believe I've been watering just that bit too much. I'm going to slacken off now. Any help on week by week care ie when do I feed...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Charlie

Discoloured rose leaves - what is it.

:D Hi charlie mean't to say mention it when you go to garden cetre. Next trip maybe, if no one comes uo with anything. I did wonder about earwigs though, they are s**s. :confused: [ 20....
    :D Hi charlie mean't to say mention it when you go to garden cetre. Next trip maybe, if no one comes uo with anything. I did wonder about earwigs though, they are s**s. :confused: [ 20. June 2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]
    :D Hi charlie mean't to say mention it when you go to garden cetre. Next trip maybe, if no one comes uo with anything. I did wonder about earwigs though, they are s**s. :confused: [ 20. June 2005, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]
    :D Hi charlie mean't to say mention it when you go to garden cetre. Next trip maybe, if no one comes uo with anything. I did wonder about earwigs though, they are s**s. :confused: [ 20....
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Charlie

Critters on my rose leaves - Photos

This is a good site for help with pests Charliehttp://www.garden-care.org.uk/GardenCare/default.asp
    This is a good site for help with pests Charliehttp://www.garden-care.org.uk/GardenCare/default.asp
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Charlie

What is the Ideal soil for Roses

Rosietu, one of the reasons I would not want the sandy loam my father gardened on. Clay may be a swine to cultivate, and condition - but it is great for growing.Well done you, for getting...
    Rosietu, one of the reasons I would not want the sandy loam my father gardened on. Clay may be a swine to cultivate, and condition - but it is great for growing.Well done you, for getting blooms from October planted roses - give em a few years, and I betcha they find meatier ground below the...
    Rosietu, one of the reasons I would not want the sandy loam my father gardened on. Clay may be a swine to cultivate, and condition - but it is great for growing.Well done you, for getting blooms from October planted roses - give em a few...
    Rosietu, one of the reasons I would not want the sandy loam my father gardened on. Clay may be a swine to cultivate, and condition - but it is great for growing.Well done you, for getting...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Paladin

Climbing Rose

hi Paladin ...you can just cut an odd stem, just above a notch, to encourage branching out and you will get more flowers later, just do an odd one and more later, you can get continous flowers...
    hi Paladin ...you can just cut an odd stem, just above a notch, to encourage branching out and you will get more flowers later, just do an odd one and more later, you can get continous flowers right to frost from each stem, but feed on rosefood all Summer.. ----------- Ladybird
    hi Paladin ...you can just cut an odd stem, just above a notch, to encourage branching out and you will get more flowers later, just do an odd one and more later, you can get continous flowers right to frost from each stem, but feed on...
    hi Paladin ...you can just cut an odd stem, just above a notch, to encourage branching out and you will get more flowers later, just do an odd one and more later, you can get continous flowers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. steve b

Climbing Roses

thanks a lot for the info Bayleaf,
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. kat

Roses

Does it look anything like this?
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. loganlea

Moving Roses

Depends kinda how "established". Roses tend to have long tap roots, but its doable, witness planting bare root roses, but as I haven't tried it!!! can' t vouch for it, - but as long as its late in...
    Depends kinda how "established". Roses tend to have long tap roots, but its doable, witness planting bare root roses, but as I haven't tried it!!! can' t vouch for it, - but as long as its late in the season you take as much root ball as possible and plant in a well prepared hole with as little...
    Depends kinda how "established". Roses tend to have long tap roots, but its doable, witness planting bare root roses, but as I haven't tried it!!! can' t vouch for it, - but as long as its late in the season you take as much root ball as possible...
    Depends kinda how "established". Roses tend to have long tap roots, but its doable, witness planting bare root roses, but as I haven't tried it!!! can' t vouch for it, - but as long as its late in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. gypangel

Roses

Hi gypangel, Moving well established roses can be difficult work. How big are they? What type? I moved one a couple of years ago, an old floribunda. I pruned it back first, not too hard at this...
    Hi gypangel, Moving well established roses can be difficult work. How big are they? What type? I moved one a couple of years ago, an old floribunda. I pruned it back first, not too hard at this time of year. It was very hard as it turned out as they have the most fantastic roots. Ended up with...
    Hi gypangel, Moving well established roses can be difficult work. How big are they? What type? I moved one a couple of years ago, an old floribunda. I pruned it back first, not too hard at this time of year. It was very hard as it turned out as...
    Hi gypangel, Moving well established roses can be difficult work. How big are they? What type? I moved one a couple of years ago, an old floribunda. I pruned it back first, not too hard at this...
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Grottybags

Roses - Suckers?

Cheers Fran - I will probably post a pic tomorrow but at the base of my plant just above the root, there are three main stems so to speak shooting up and all are of an equal size really. Should...
    Cheers Fran - I will probably post a pic tomorrow but at the base of my plant just above the root, there are three main stems so to speak shooting up and all are of an equal size really. Should two of them have been torn off when they started growing months ago?And can you recommend any...
    Cheers Fran - I will probably post a pic tomorrow but at the base of my plant just above the root, there are three main stems so to speak shooting up and all are of an equal size really. Should two of them have been torn off when they started...
    Cheers Fran - I will probably post a pic tomorrow but at the base of my plant just above the root, there are three main stems so to speak shooting up and all are of an equal size really. Should...
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. gypangel

propogating roses - too late?

there is a good article in gardeners world magazine about propagating roses it seems easy to do, good luck
    there is a good article in gardeners world magazine about propagating roses it seems easy to do, good luck
    Replies:
    Views:
  32. shell

Climbing rose that won't flower.

Hi Shell. Like you i planted two new climbing roses in the spring. One has grown three qaurters up the rose arch and hasn'nt flowered.The other has hardley reached the second rung of the arch, and...
    Hi Shell. Like you i planted two new climbing roses in the spring. One has grown three qaurters up the rose arch and hasn'nt flowered.The other has hardley reached the second rung of the arch, and bore three huge roses, but only one at a time.
    Hi Shell. Like you i planted two new climbing roses in the spring. One has grown three qaurters up the rose arch and hasn'nt flowered.The other has hardley reached the second rung of the arch, and bore three huge roses, but only one at a time.
    Hi Shell. Like you i planted two new climbing roses in the spring. One has grown three qaurters up the rose arch and hasn'nt flowered.The other has hardley reached the second rung of the arch, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  33. Rob

black spot on roses

Thanks for taking the time to reply.I was under the impression that black spot was a bad thing in a garden but I shall save it from the chop and continue training it along the fence. I'm going...
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.I was under the impression that black spot was a bad thing in a garden but I shall save it from the chop and continue training it along the fence. I'm going to keep it sprayed, and I'm going to give the seeds a go now.Thanks for bringing me up to speedRob
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.I was under the impression that black spot was a bad thing in a garden but I shall save it from the chop and continue training it along the fence. I'm going to keep it sprayed, and I'm going to give the seeds...
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.I was under the impression that black spot was a bad thing in a garden but I shall save it from the chop and continue training it along the fence. I'm going...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice