1. Forum News
    A NEW PHOTO COMP WILL BE STARTING THIS MONTH more information in Photo Competitions Photo Competitions Are Changing!
    Please Support The Road Verge Campaign!
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Dougyb83

Acer cuttings

@Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings. As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd...
    @Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings. As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd stick them in a pot outside and see what happens. Mix plenty of grit into the soil in the pot and...
    @Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings. As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd stick them in a pot outside and see what happens....
    @Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings. As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Rebekah

Is this fireblight?

Thank you Redwing, I'm pretty sure it's not lack of water as I've been very careful in that regard, and a birch planted at the same time, and getting the same attention, seems fine.
    Thank you Redwing, I'm pretty sure it's not lack of water as I've been very careful in that regard, and a birch planted at the same time, and getting the same attention, seems fine.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Voobwm

Do new leylandii go darker in time?

Thanks for the picture. :) I think they will remain light in colour but there is a chance they might darken slightly with maturity and trimming but won't be as dark as the others.
    Thanks for the picture. :) I think they will remain light in colour but there is a chance they might darken slightly with maturity and trimming but won't be as dark as the others.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Voobwm

When to top a new leylandii hedge tree

Basically it's up to you. Most conifers unlike other trees will not sprout new growth from cut tip. New growth will appear from below the cut end. This will cause the Leylandii to spread out more.
    Basically it's up to you. Most conifers unlike other trees will not sprout new growth from cut tip. New growth will appear from below the cut end. This will cause the Leylandii to spread out more.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Inca-Bo

Problem with a shrub / bush

Give yhe plants a good hosing down
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. nikirushka

Fuzzy tips on an acer?

My poor acer is still struggling to recover after the drought last year. I had to cut almost half of it out in spring as that much was just dead.This year it has tried to grow a good 10" all...
    My poor acer is still struggling to recover after the drought last year. I had to cut almost half of it out in spring as that much was just dead.This year it has tried to grow a good 10" all over, and did produce good leaves initially, but they all crisped and died in the end (black crisping....
    My poor acer is still struggling to recover after the drought last year. I had to cut almost half of it out in spring as that much was just dead.This year it has tried to grow a good 10" all over, and did produce good leaves initially, but...
    My poor acer is still struggling to recover after the drought last year. I had to cut almost half of it out in spring as that much was just dead.This year it has tried to grow a good 10" all...
    20190831_175607.jpg 20190831_175643.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Lydia Ghazali

Help with Golden False Acacia (Robinia)

Opps ..sorry. I mistyped I think when I was in a panic. The tree is 3 stories high and actually our building insurance says we can't have trees of a certain height so close to the building so we...
    Opps ..sorry. I mistyped I think when I was in a panic. The tree is 3 stories high and actually our building insurance says we can't have trees of a certain height so close to the building so we then made a decision to prune back the tree and we will keep an eye on it on a yearly basis.
    Opps ..sorry. I mistyped I think when I was in a panic. The tree is 3 stories high and actually our building insurance says we can't have trees of a certain height so close to the building so we then made a decision to prune back the tree and we...
    Opps ..sorry. I mistyped I think when I was in a panic. The tree is 3 stories high and actually our building insurance says we can't have trees of a certain height so close to the building so we...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Well said @HarmonyArb :blue thumb: I was thinking a similar way, especially about the warning about branches. All trees drop branches but are rarely any problem.My tallest birch is over 50ft high and...
    Well said @HarmonyArb :blue thumb: I was thinking a similar way, especially about the warning about branches. All trees drop branches but are rarely any problem.My tallest birch is over 50ft high and occasionally drops a dead branch but these always seem to be smaller, lighter ones of little...
    Well said @HarmonyArb :blue thumb: I was thinking a similar way, especially about the warning about branches. All trees drop branches but are rarely any problem.My tallest birch is over 50ft high and occasionally drops a dead branch but these always...
    Well said @HarmonyArb :blue thumb: I was thinking a similar way, especially about the warning about branches. All trees drop branches but are rarely any problem.My tallest birch is over 50ft high and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Jack Sparrow

Sorbus

@Jack Sparrow The Sorbus below I've grown from seed The taller one is 12 to 15 years old showing no sign of filling out. It took about 6-7 years to produce flowers and berries. It is on...
    @Jack Sparrow The Sorbus below I've grown from seed The taller one is 12 to 15 years old showing no sign of filling out. It took about 6-7 years to produce flowers and berries. It is on relatively shallow soil and can get very dry.This Sorbus was also grown from seed and is now 8 to 10...
    @Jack Sparrow The Sorbus below I've grown from seed The taller one is 12 to 15 years old showing no sign of filling out. It took about 6-7 years to produce flowers and berries. It is on relatively shallow soil and can get very dry.This...
    @Jack Sparrow The Sorbus below I've grown from seed The taller one is 12 to 15 years old showing no sign of filling out. It took about 6-7 years to produce flowers and berries. It is on...
    20190823_184444.jpg 20190105_141026.jpg Sorbus 1.JPG Sorbus3.JPG Sorbus2.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. ridgiemum

apple trees

@Redwing perhaps you should read a little more thoroughly. Ridgiemum quoted her introduction not this thread.Here's the link....i have no idea what I'm doing!!
    @Redwing perhaps you should read a little more thoroughly. Ridgiemum quoted her introduction not this thread.Here's the link....i have no idea what I'm doing!!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Zaria123

Tree Suggestions

You beat me to it Dai that was exactly what I was going to suggest, Italian Cyprus as they tend to grow shorted in a more squat manor here with our weather.. Or there is Juniper, but both of these...
    You beat me to it Dai that was exactly what I was going to suggest, Italian Cyprus as they tend to grow shorted in a more squat manor here with our weather.. Or there is Juniper, but both of these will need trimming and care to keep to the height you want, but both will make a for beautiful...
    You beat me to it Dai that was exactly what I was going to suggest, Italian Cyprus as they tend to grow shorted in a more squat manor here with our weather.. Or there is Juniper, but both of these will need trimming and care to keep to the height...
    You beat me to it Dai that was exactly what I was going to suggest, Italian Cyprus as they tend to grow shorted in a more squat manor here with our weather.. Or there is Juniper, but both of these...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Voobwm

What to fill leylandii hedge gap with temporarily?

Prob as good as anything I could suggest Voobwm:)I suggest though enriching the soil before replanting :)I am as angry as you are about the scumbag arsonist......hope he/she was caught.Once...
    Prob as good as anything I could suggest Voobwm:)I suggest though enriching the soil before replanting :)I am as angry as you are about the scumbag arsonist......hope he/she was caught.Once caught the guy who regularly snapped off pieces of plants on the front boundary....to cut a long story...
    Prob as good as anything I could suggest Voobwm:)I suggest though enriching the soil before replanting :)I am as angry as you are about the scumbag arsonist......hope he/she was caught.Once caught the guy who regularly snapped off pieces of...
    Prob as good as anything I could suggest Voobwm:)I suggest though enriching the soil before replanting :)I am as angry as you are about the scumbag arsonist......hope he/she was caught.Once...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. eddybaby

Too soon to prune?

Yes, time to summer prune soon ....ideal time for down here but I suggest where you are to delay until middle of August eddy baby :)I would take a little off the growing tip, main stem tooOn...
    Yes, time to summer prune soon ....ideal time for down here but I suggest where you are to delay until middle of August eddy baby :)I would take a little off the growing tip, main stem tooOn the other branches cut side shoots on each of them to about 3 buds. You want to do it as the wood...
    Yes, time to summer prune soon ....ideal time for down here but I suggest where you are to delay until middle of August eddy baby :)I would take a little off the growing tip, main stem tooOn the other branches cut side shoots on each of them...
    Yes, time to summer prune soon ....ideal time for down here but I suggest where you are to delay until middle of August eddy baby :)I would take a little off the growing tip, main stem tooOn...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. crocus

question on weather to thin out twisted hazel tree

No worries @Mike Allen - I just wish I had more 'heft'! And once the suckers start, as @shiney says, they seem to become very strong. I assume it's for cheapness that they are grafted on standard...
    No worries @Mike Allen - I just wish I had more 'heft'! And once the suckers start, as @shiney says, they seem to become very strong. I assume it's for cheapness that they are grafted on standard hazel? Same as with named wisteria and roses...
    No worries @Mike Allen - I just wish I had more 'heft'! And once the suckers start, as @shiney says, they seem to become very strong. I assume it's for cheapness that they are grafted on standard hazel? Same as with named wisteria and roses...
    No worries @Mike Allen - I just wish I had more 'heft'! And once the suckers start, as @shiney says, they seem to become very strong. I assume it's for cheapness that they are grafted on standard...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Degsy

Pear tree advice needed

Yes, that’s rust Degsy :)Pick off all affected leaves and bag them....burn them if you can. I would also scrape away the very top of the soil and apply a thick mulch :)
    Yes, that’s rust Degsy :)Pick off all affected leaves and bag them....burn them if you can. I would also scrape away the very top of the soil and apply a thick mulch :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. karaman

How to treat mulberry tree?

hallo all, yes luckily have a warm south-facing wall to create a cordon against and yes i will try to propagate it - i take it i just stick a twig in the ground in autumn and see what has/has not...
    hallo all, yes luckily have a warm south-facing wall to create a cordon against and yes i will try to propagate it - i take it i just stick a twig in the ground in autumn and see what has/has not happened when i return in spring. cheers, karaman
    hallo all, yes luckily have a warm south-facing wall to create a cordon against and yes i will try to propagate it - i take it i just stick a twig in the ground in autumn and see what has/has not happened when i return in spring. cheers, karaman
    hallo all, yes luckily have a warm south-facing wall to create a cordon against and yes i will try to propagate it - i take it i just stick a twig in the ground in autumn and see what has/has not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Mr.Bump

Conifer hedge..

Hello again, Well I'm well into trying to tame this garden, but still a few issues. One of the main ones is the huge conifer hedge. It's over 7 ft tall 18ft long and 5ft deep. I would like to...
    Hello again, Well I'm well into trying to tame this garden, but still a few issues. One of the main ones is the huge conifer hedge. It's over 7 ft tall 18ft long and 5ft deep. I would like to make my life easier. Can I just cut it back several inches from the top? I don't want it to die back...
    Hello again, Well I'm well into trying to tame this garden, but still a few issues. One of the main ones is the huge conifer hedge. It's over 7 ft tall 18ft long and 5ft deep. I would like to make my life easier. Can I just cut it back several...
    Hello again, Well I'm well into trying to tame this garden, but still a few issues. One of the main ones is the huge conifer hedge. It's over 7 ft tall 18ft long and 5ft deep. I would like to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Centime

Re-potted Christmas tree struggling to thrive

Can't really help without a photo, but my initial thoughts are to remove it from the pot and plant it out if possible. And by saying ' but does get watered now and then' that suggests a bit more...
    Can't really help without a photo, but my initial thoughts are to remove it from the pot and plant it out if possible. And by saying ' but does get watered now and then' that suggests a bit more would be a good place to start.:dbgrtmb:
    Can't really help without a photo, but my initial thoughts are to remove it from the pot and plant it out if possible. And by saying ' but does get watered now and then' that suggests a bit more would be a good place to start.:dbgrtmb:
    Can't really help without a photo, but my initial thoughts are to remove it from the pot and plant it out if possible. And by saying ' but does get watered now and then' that suggests a bit more...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. alison Westbrook

Small tree for pot in sunny garden

Freddy! behave. you must remember to take your pills . :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Freddy! behave. you must remember to take your pills . :lunapic 130165696578242 5:
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. hoofy

Transporting an acer tree

I planted a small one around 5 years ago. It’s huge now. Going to be a very big tree.It seems to love the sun.
    I planted a small one around 5 years ago. It’s huge now. Going to be a very big tree.It seems to love the sun.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice