Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Sheikh

Another “big silver birch” question

One was pruned badly local to me and its dead now. I tend to think you need to do it at this end of the year as they do bleed if cut nearer the spring.
    One was pruned badly local to me and its dead now. I tend to think you need to do it at this end of the year as they do bleed if cut nearer the spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. CanadianLori

Spraying an apple tree

I'm sure everyone has seen me moan about the neighbour's apple tree at my back fence line. It has been dropping diseased or rotten apples on my lawn for about 3 weeks now. They don't prune, spray,...
    I'm sure everyone has seen me moan about the neighbour's apple tree at my back fence line. It has been dropping diseased or rotten apples on my lawn for about 3 weeks now. They don't prune, spray, or do anything to maintain this tree.Is it possible to get healthy apples from one half of a...
    I'm sure everyone has seen me moan about the neighbour's apple tree at my back fence line. It has been dropping diseased or rotten apples on my lawn for about 3 weeks now. They don't prune, spray, or do anything to maintain this tree.Is it...
    I'm sure everyone has seen me moan about the neighbour's apple tree at my back fence line. It has been dropping diseased or rotten apples on my lawn for about 3 weeks now. They don't prune, spray,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Tinkerbelle61

Garden with established orchard but neglected for years Q1

Ahh, okay thank you @NigelJ That’s my first job of the day sorted :) I best start before it gets too warm. Happy Gardening everyone.
    Ahh, okay thank you @NigelJ That’s my first job of the day sorted :) I best start before it gets too warm. Happy Gardening everyone.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. weedaway

Dying Conifers, Please help.

Osmocote controlled release is all I can think of. It needs mixing into the compost when you pot on.
    Osmocote controlled release is all I can think of. It needs mixing into the compost when you pot on.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. wiseowl

Victoria Plum tree

Your welcome Woo.
    Your welcome Woo.
    Your welcome Woo.
    Your welcome Woo.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Tinkerbelle61

Established orchard plum tree sick or dying?

The rotten plum fruits could have grubs in them, that's why they rot.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. brianbloke

Advice needed - unhealthy knothole/overflow.

Always the way that your favourites get into trouble. Just a word of advice, try to get a proper arborist not a cowboy firm who are tree slaughterers rather than surgeons! We unfortunately have...
    Always the way that your favourites get into trouble. Just a word of advice, try to get a proper arborist not a cowboy firm who are tree slaughterers rather than surgeons! We unfortunately have had quite a few chainsaw massacreists ( spelling iffy!) over the years c/o the power company as there...
    Always the way that your favourites get into trouble. Just a word of advice, try to get a proper arborist not a cowboy firm who are tree slaughterers rather than surgeons! We unfortunately have had quite a few chainsaw massacreists ( spelling...
    Always the way that your favourites get into trouble. Just a word of advice, try to get a proper arborist not a cowboy firm who are tree slaughterers rather than surgeons! We unfortunately have...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. weedaway

Can you ID this please

Absolutely Pete, an acre, no problems there, I thought it looked quite pretty but it was the pot I was buying, the Birch is a very nice unsuspected surprise to me, so I am very pleased with my...
    Absolutely Pete, an acre, no problems there, I thought it looked quite pretty but it was the pot I was buying, the Birch is a very nice unsuspected surprise to me, so I am very pleased with my purchase.
    Absolutely Pete, an acre, no problems there, I thought it looked quite pretty but it was the pot I was buying, the Birch is a very nice unsuspected surprise to me, so I am very pleased with my purchase.
    Absolutely Pete, an acre, no problems there, I thought it looked quite pretty but it was the pot I was buying, the Birch is a very nice unsuspected surprise to me, so I am very pleased with my...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Yana

Roses decease and eaters

Hi yana hardly any leaves on my red robin was free of black spot it must have got like that over first few weeks in winter i thought oh no my beautiful bush but someone on here did mention...
    Hi yana hardly any leaves on my red robin was free of black spot it must have got like that over first few weeks in winter i thought oh no my beautiful bush but someone on here did mention milk so i looked it up and it said use milk and water for 2 or 3 weeks ,so i used it so i repotted it...
    Hi yana hardly any leaves on my red robin was free of black spot it must have got like that over first few weeks in winter i thought oh no my beautiful bush but someone on here did mention milk so i looked it up and it said use milk and...
    Hi yana hardly any leaves on my red robin was free of black spot it must have got like that over first few weeks in winter i thought oh no my beautiful bush but someone on here did mention...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. BettyPratchit

Advice Needed: My Tree May Need Removing!

I had problems in a previous house with roots from my neighbours conifer hedge causing damage to my sewer and house foundations. The roots will break through anything other than 'plastic' because...
    I had problems in a previous house with roots from my neighbours conifer hedge causing damage to my sewer and house foundations. The roots will break through anything other than 'plastic' because it is porous and they are searching for water. This family of trees are shallow rooted but spread...
    I had problems in a previous house with roots from my neighbours conifer hedge causing damage to my sewer and house foundations. The roots will break through anything other than 'plastic' because it is porous and they are searching for water....
    I had problems in a previous house with roots from my neighbours conifer hedge causing damage to my sewer and house foundations. The roots will break through anything other than 'plastic' because...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. weedaway

Have You Done Any Air Layering

I've got to say that although it is more fiddly to do I think the polythene wrap is better than the black spheres. Especially with the cable ties as you have used @misterQ the spheres do dry out...
    I've got to say that although it is more fiddly to do I think the polythene wrap is better than the black spheres. Especially with the cable ties as you have used @misterQ the spheres do dry out and I'm finding slugs love to hide in them during the day.
    I've got to say that although it is more fiddly to do I think the polythene wrap is better than the black spheres. Especially with the cable ties as you have used @misterQ the spheres do dry out and I'm finding slugs love to hide in them during...
    I've got to say that although it is more fiddly to do I think the polythene wrap is better than the black spheres. Especially with the cable ties as you have used @misterQ the spheres do dry out...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Voobwm

When should I top these Leylandiis to be the same height as the rest?

Hi VoobwmI recommend trimming the tops as soon as possible, even if you're only removing a few centimetres of growth. The reason for this is that it should help promote thickening of the tree,...
    Hi VoobwmI recommend trimming the tops as soon as possible, even if you're only removing a few centimetres of growth. The reason for this is that it should help promote thickening of the tree, it's less damaging to the tree, and it's easier to trim little and often rather than doing a big hit....
    Hi VoobwmI recommend trimming the tops as soon as possible, even if you're only removing a few centimetres of growth. The reason for this is that it should help promote thickening of the tree, it's less damaging to the tree, and it's easier to...
    Hi VoobwmI recommend trimming the tops as soon as possible, even if you're only removing a few centimetres of growth. The reason for this is that it should help promote thickening of the tree,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. xf8u39

My Waggie

A good point made by JWK, they seem to like a lot more water than is often suspected. They survive in dryer conditions but grow much faster with good watering.
    A good point made by JWK, they seem to like a lot more water than is often suspected. They survive in dryer conditions but grow much faster with good watering.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JAS

Greengage in Scotland?

Good drainage may be my downfall. We planted a walnut a couple of years ago and its just sitting in the ground sulking, its not liking the clay I fear.
    Good drainage may be my downfall. We planted a walnut a couple of years ago and its just sitting in the ground sulking, its not liking the clay I fear.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. CrystalT

Tree catalog by post?

Many nurseries are online only these days. However get a couple of garden magazines and leaf through the classified and you should find some that supply catalogs.
    Many nurseries are online only these days. However get a couple of garden magazines and leaf through the classified and you should find some that supply catalogs.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. John-Paul Wilkins

Acer Shirasawanum Jordan leaf burn?

Cant help really, but all I will say is I know these types of Acers often suffer leaf damage, mostly from sun or cold dry winds in spring when the leaves are soft. So, is it only recently that...
    Cant help really, but all I will say is I know these types of Acers often suffer leaf damage, mostly from sun or cold dry winds in spring when the leaves are soft. So, is it only recently that the leaves have started to look like this?Definitely a difference between the top of the tree and...
    Cant help really, but all I will say is I know these types of Acers often suffer leaf damage, mostly from sun or cold dry winds in spring when the leaves are soft. So, is it only recently that the leaves have started to look like...
    Cant help really, but all I will say is I know these types of Acers often suffer leaf damage, mostly from sun or cold dry winds in spring when the leaves are soft. So, is it only recently that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Tinkerbelle61
    Like x 3

Successful Experiment, but what do I do with them now?

Watch Herons Bonsai youtube channel for inspiration then have a go at making a bonsai forest group with the 8 trees.My thoughts are that there is somebody somewhere in the world who is...
    Watch Herons Bonsai youtube channel for inspiration then have a go at making a bonsai forest group with the 8 trees.My thoughts are that there is somebody somewhere in the world who is desperately trying to germinate sycamore seeds (Acer pseudoplatanus) and having no luck. If only the two...
    Watch Herons Bonsai youtube channel for inspiration then have a go at making a bonsai forest group with the 8 trees.My thoughts are that there is somebody somewhere in the world who is desperately trying to germinate sycamore seeds (Acer...
    Watch Herons Bonsai youtube channel for inspiration then have a go at making a bonsai forest group with the 8 trees.My thoughts are that there is somebody somewhere in the world who is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. dogsbody

New Beech tree

A young tree shouldn't need pruning If you can provide us with pictures please, it would help to see what you mean by straggly bits.
    A young tree shouldn't need pruning If you can provide us with pictures please, it would help to see what you mean by straggly bits.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. andy873

Elder Tree, what month is this

Hi Nigel,I'm sure it was an elder, I got into making wine in my early 20's and was always frustrated that I couldn't pick any of the berries from it.The railway line in question was a branch...
    Hi Nigel,I'm sure it was an elder, I got into making wine in my early 20's and was always frustrated that I couldn't pick any of the berries from it.The railway line in question was a branch line and you have to trust me on this one, I have spent five years researching this.Always nice to...
    Hi Nigel,I'm sure it was an elder, I got into making wine in my early 20's and was always frustrated that I couldn't pick any of the berries from it.The railway line in question was a branch line and you have to trust me on this one, I have...
    Hi Nigel,I'm sure it was an elder, I got into making wine in my early 20's and was always frustrated that I couldn't pick any of the berries from it.The railway line in question was a branch...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Tony Deal

Wych Elm in hedgerow

You need to cut the top down some 12 inches below the final required height.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice