Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. dogsbody

Acorns

Hello allI planted acorns in pots in September, when should I be seeing a sign of growth? They are singularly in pots, outside, being ignored. An experiment really, I assumed it takes years to...
    Hello allI planted acorns in pots in September, when should I be seeing a sign of growth? They are singularly in pots, outside, being ignored. An experiment really, I assumed it takes years to grow?I did the ‘put in water and discard the floating ones’ test.Thanks Tink
    Hello allI planted acorns in pots in September, when should I be seeing a sign of growth? They are singularly in pots, outside, being ignored. An experiment really, I assumed it takes years to grow?I did the ‘put in water and discard the...
    Hello allI planted acorns in pots in September, when should I be seeing a sign of growth? They are singularly in pots, outside, being ignored. An experiment really, I assumed it takes years to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. AnnieH

Magnolia

Many thanks will investigate further for another possibility for a flowering tree. Much appreciated :)
    Many thanks will investigate further for another possibility for a flowering tree. Much appreciated :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. TomSparkes

Planting 12 ft Wisteria

I'm not surprised! Imagine leaving a tight tourniquet on someone's arm or leg for months.....
    I'm not surprised! Imagine leaving a tight tourniquet on someone's arm or leg for months.....
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Laura21

Planting a new Conifer tree to replace a felled one?

Thank you so much for this. It helps a lot.Currently, due to the risks involved with taking out the stump, we are thinking of just leaving it there with all its roots, and planting a new tree...
    Thank you so much for this. It helps a lot.Currently, due to the risks involved with taking out the stump, we are thinking of just leaving it there with all its roots, and planting a new tree near it- does this seem like a good idea? If we left it to nature for the deceased roots to decompose...
    Thank you so much for this. It helps a lot.Currently, due to the risks involved with taking out the stump, we are thinking of just leaving it there with all its roots, and planting a new tree near it- does this seem like a good idea? If we left...
    Thank you so much for this. It helps a lot.Currently, due to the risks involved with taking out the stump, we are thinking of just leaving it there with all its roots, and planting a new tree...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. The Wizard

Damage to Apple Tree

I agree with Pete the only thing i would add is remove the grass from the base of the tree ...you will be surprised how much water it takes up in the summer and nutrients
    I agree with Pete the only thing i would add is remove the grass from the base of the tree ...you will be surprised how much water it takes up in the summer and nutrients
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Tabbee

Pruning an overgrown pear tree

Hi TabbeeThe FIRST thing you need to do before carrying out ANY pruning is to determine if the tree is TIP or SPUR bearing. This means does the fruit grow on the tips of the branches, or along...
    Hi TabbeeThe FIRST thing you need to do before carrying out ANY pruning is to determine if the tree is TIP or SPUR bearing. This means does the fruit grow on the tips of the branches, or along the branch length. Finding this out will determine HOW to correctly prune the tree. If it's tip...
    Hi TabbeeThe FIRST thing you need to do before carrying out ANY pruning is to determine if the tree is TIP or SPUR bearing. This means does the fruit grow on the tips of the branches, or along the branch length. Finding this out will determine...
    Hi TabbeeThe FIRST thing you need to do before carrying out ANY pruning is to determine if the tree is TIP or SPUR bearing. This means does the fruit grow on the tips of the branches, or along...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. PhilC

Trapycarpus seedlings struggling to stay alive

No, don't repot now, its totally the wrong time of the year, dry them out a bit, although I think the one on the right is a gonna.
    No, don't repot now, its totally the wrong time of the year, dry them out a bit, although I think the one on the right is a gonna.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Mike Allen
    Like x 3

Sweet Chestnut Trees

Following on from, Wise Owl's recent walk in the woods. 30/10/2020. His photo of sweet chestnuts, prompted me to share some thoughts etc.As Wise Owl had in times past, worked in Greenwich Park,...
    Following on from, Wise Owl's recent walk in the woods. 30/10/2020. His photo of sweet chestnuts, prompted me to share some thoughts etc.As Wise Owl had in times past, worked in Greenwich Park, one of the Royal Parks. Myself having spent much of my time also in the park. I decided to share...
    Following on from, Wise Owl's recent walk in the woods. 30/10/2020. His photo of sweet chestnuts, prompted me to share some thoughts etc.As Wise Owl had in times past, worked in Greenwich Park, one of the Royal Parks. Myself having spent much...
    Following on from, Wise Owl's recent walk in the woods. 30/10/2020. His photo of sweet chestnuts, prompted me to share some thoughts etc.As Wise Owl had in times past, worked in Greenwich Park,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Geoff Catterall
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. NessaJ70

Best tree for privacy

Good call, something different and attractive, but not that common, and maybe difficult to source, but generally pest and disease free, I would go for a mix of Pyracantha, evergreen, blossom in...
    Good call, something different and attractive, but not that common, and maybe difficult to source, but generally pest and disease free, I would go for a mix of Pyracantha, evergreen, blossom in spring, berries in winter, quick growing, easy to train, pollinator friendly, feeds the birds in...
    Good call, something different and attractive, but not that common, and maybe difficult to source, but generally pest and disease free, I would go for a mix of Pyracantha, evergreen, blossom in spring, berries in winter, quick growing, easy to...
    Good call, something different and attractive, but not that common, and maybe difficult to source, but generally pest and disease free, I would go for a mix of Pyracantha, evergreen, blossom in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Steve Dowsing

Staking new silver birch

On my allotment plots, I left self sown Silver Birches to grow to about 2 or 3m high before coppicing for pea stick production, and they grew straight up without any need for support.Apples...
    On my allotment plots, I left self sown Silver Birches to grow to about 2 or 3m high before coppicing for pea stick production, and they grew straight up without any need for support.Apples planted prior to my occupation were bent over by the prevailing winds from the west, but all the bare...
    On my allotment plots, I left self sown Silver Birches to grow to about 2 or 3m high before coppicing for pea stick production, and they grew straight up without any need for support.Apples planted prior to my occupation were bent over by the...
    On my allotment plots, I left self sown Silver Birches to grow to about 2 or 3m high before coppicing for pea stick production, and they grew straight up without any need for support.Apples...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. HalC

Tree Condition Advice

Just plain ol' sycamore. Acer pseudoplatanus.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. oldwinegum

Orange spots on pear tree leaves

@Peter Piper I would wait for them to drop off then rake up and donate to council composting scheme or burn them.
    @Peter Piper I would wait for them to drop off then rake up and donate to council composting scheme or burn them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Surfer

Avacado tree

Just found this.....pics as requested. Needless to say not taken in UK! Yummy...I love avocado.
    Just found this.....pics as requested. Needless to say not taken in UK! Yummy...I love avocado.
    PERSEA  AMERICANA  AVOCADO 16-01-2019 12-29-32.JPG PERSEA  AMERICANA  AVOCADO 16-01-2019 12-29-42.JPG PERSEA  AMERICANA  AVOCADO 16-01-2019 12-29-58.JPG PERSEA  AMERICANA  AVOCADO 16-01-2019 12-30-17.JPG PERSEA  AMERICANA  AVOCADO 16-01-2019 12-30-30.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Emily Jones

Apple trees

Hi Emily, you could add a mulch in a meter or so circle around the trees. The earthworms would pull this in and improve the soil over the next few months. The main thing is not to disturb the...
    Hi Emily, you could add a mulch in a meter or so circle around the trees. The earthworms would pull this in and improve the soil over the next few months. The main thing is not to disturb the roots. Hopefully in the Spring you will have blossom and maybe a apple or two although it will make...
    Hi Emily, you could add a mulch in a meter or so circle around the trees. The earthworms would pull this in and improve the soil over the next few months. The main thing is not to disturb the roots. Hopefully in the Spring you will have blossom...
    Hi Emily, you could add a mulch in a meter or so circle around the trees. The earthworms would pull this in and improve the soil over the next few months. The main thing is not to disturb the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. LizPond

Prunus cerasifera "Nigra"dead?

Really useful to know - thanks Victoria.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Paragon1234

Topiary Cube dying

Most of the time i dont cut back the stems, just removed the fallen leaves and shake the plant to get the others off too,then binned. The seaweed really seems to help them out. I dont prune when...
    Most of the time i dont cut back the stems, just removed the fallen leaves and shake the plant to get the others off too,then binned. The seaweed really seems to help them out. I dont prune when humid or damp and only shape them in October now because the blight is still in the plant but under...
    Most of the time i dont cut back the stems, just removed the fallen leaves and shake the plant to get the others off too,then binned. The seaweed really seems to help them out. I dont prune when humid or damp and only shape them in October now...
    Most of the time i dont cut back the stems, just removed the fallen leaves and shake the plant to get the others off too,then binned. The seaweed really seems to help them out. I dont prune when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Sophocles

What to do with these conifers

I don't think your trees are as big as ours were. We had 22 of them removed six years ago and to take it all away and stump grind the trees cost us £900. :rolleyespink:Your trees look a lot smaller so it's...
    I don't think your trees are as big as ours were. We had 22 of them removed six years ago and to take it all away and stump grind the trees cost us £900. :rolleyespink:Your trees look a lot smaller so it's possible you may be able to do the job yourself and, if not, it should not be as expensive - inflated...
    I don't think your trees are as big as ours were. We had 22 of them removed six years ago and to take it all away and stump grind the trees cost us £900. :rolleyespink:Your trees look a lot smaller so it's possible you may be able to do the job yourself...
    I don't think your trees are as big as ours were. We had 22 of them removed six years ago and to take it all away and stump grind the trees cost us £900. :rolleyespink:Your trees look a lot smaller so it's...
    P1180580.JPG P1210216.JPG P1210237.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Howard

Starting off trees from seed/nut

If you want some English hazelnut /English walnut trees I can send you some of each .from time to time I find little trees in the garden that the jays and squirrels have planted.
    If you want some English hazelnut /English walnut trees I can send you some of each .from time to time I find little trees in the garden that the jays and squirrels have planted.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. weedaway

Have You Done Any Air Layering

I have had a go of air layering with my new ball propagators, its so much easier than trying to do it with an empty cotton bud box,I found the bark on my Red Maple very thin, I wondered if it...
    I have had a go of air layering with my new ball propagators, its so much easier than trying to do it with an empty cotton bud box,I found the bark on my Red Maple very thin, I wondered if it might have been caused from being completely covered with brambles before I cleared it away.I...
    I have had a go of air layering with my new ball propagators, its so much easier than trying to do it with an empty cotton bud box,I found the bark on my Red Maple very thin, I wondered if it might have been caused from being completely covered...
    I have had a go of air layering with my new ball propagators, its so much easier than trying to do it with an empty cotton bud box,I found the bark on my Red Maple very thin, I wondered if it...
    17 resized.JPG 18.JPG 19.JPG 20.JPG 20200818_161136.jpg 20200818_161052.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice