Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Paul4321

Lusitanica feed or not to feed?

Thanks Pete. Much appreciated.Best regards, Paul
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Paul4321

Recommendations for a instant screen tree pls

Just a quick update. In the end it was a Lusitanica we went with. I have to say it arrived quickly and is just what we had in mind. The service has been second to none. We were away for a week so...
    Just a quick update. In the end it was a Lusitanica we went with. I have to say it arrived quickly and is just what we had in mind. The service has been second to none. We were away for a week so delivery was arranged for our return and it arrived on time with an update to let us know it was...
    Just a quick update. In the end it was a Lusitanica we went with. I have to say it arrived quickly and is just what we had in mind. The service has been second to none. We were away for a week so delivery was arranged for our return and it...
    Just a quick update. In the end it was a Lusitanica we went with. I have to say it arrived quickly and is just what we had in mind. The service has been second to none. We were away for a week so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. sniffyjenkins

My new betula pendula sapling snapped in the storm: will it survive?

I would go back to the supplier and tell them just that plus send your photo, the onus is on them to supply a replacement and a more suitable staking method.
    I would go back to the supplier and tell them just that plus send your photo, the onus is on them to supply a replacement and a more suitable staking method.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Lilytippytoes

Tree id

Brilliant both, thanks very much
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. crocus

black spots on holly tree this year

yes definitely a holly tree. had it 21 years. when it stops raining i will investigate
    yes definitely a holly tree. had it 21 years. when it stops raining i will investigate
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. IttyBittyGreenSpace

Backyard Orchard Culture in cold temperate climate?

@IttyBittyGreenSpace Summer pruning to restrict growth of fruit trees has been carried out for centuries. Fruit trees grown as cordons, fans and espaliers are traditionally pruned in summer....
    @IttyBittyGreenSpace Summer pruning to restrict growth of fruit trees has been carried out for centuries. Fruit trees grown as cordons, fans and espaliers are traditionally pruned in summer. More recently commercial orchards have been grown planted at a closer spacing and are pruned to...
    @IttyBittyGreenSpace Summer pruning to restrict growth of fruit trees has been carried out for centuries. Fruit trees grown as cordons, fans and espaliers are traditionally pruned in summer. More recently commercial orchards have been grown...
    @IttyBittyGreenSpace Summer pruning to restrict growth of fruit trees has been carried out for centuries. Fruit trees grown as cordons, fans and espaliers are traditionally pruned in summer....
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Nick vdW

Pear tree pest

Hello Nick, welcome to GC. If the fruitlets are turning black and dropping off, it's pear midge. If the leaves are red and blistered, then blackening, it's pear leaf blister mite. In either...
    Hello Nick, welcome to GC. If the fruitlets are turning black and dropping off, it's pear midge. If the leaves are red and blistered, then blackening, it's pear leaf blister mite. In either case, for a small tree, the best remedy is to collect up all the affected fruits and/or leaves and...
    Hello Nick, welcome to GC. If the fruitlets are turning black and dropping off, it's pear midge. If the leaves are red and blistered, then blackening, it's pear leaf blister mite. In either case, for a small tree, the best remedy is to collect...
    Hello Nick, welcome to GC. If the fruitlets are turning black and dropping off, it's pear midge. If the leaves are red and blistered, then blackening, it's pear leaf blister mite. In either...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. weedaway

Red Maple Tree

If it grows I was going to keep the top low so that I could see over it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. TheMadHedger

Oak sapling with brown leaves at the top

Thanks, that does seem likely. The sapling is close to a hedge to the north that runs east to west and which is open to the south, the northerly winds will have affected the top of the sapling but...
    Thanks, that does seem likely. The sapling is close to a hedge to the north that runs east to west and which is open to the south, the northerly winds will have affected the top of the sapling but not the middle and the base.Will the tiny leaves be okay do you think? As in will they grow? (but...
    Thanks, that does seem likely. The sapling is close to a hedge to the north that runs east to west and which is open to the south, the northerly winds will have affected the top of the sapling but not the middle and the base.Will the tiny...
    Thanks, that does seem likely. The sapling is close to a hedge to the north that runs east to west and which is open to the south, the northerly winds will have affected the top of the sapling but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Gizmo

tree id

Good afternoon it looks like a distant relation of mine well known for his fast low flying I knew something like that would happen:heehee:
    Good afternoon it looks like a distant relation of mine well known for his fast low flying I knew something like that would happen:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. chris_elevate

Stop wild sycamores

Just an idea, is there a re-forestation charity or a like minded club nearby? They might be happy to organise a sapling harvest day once or twice a year.Free labour and the saplings would go to...
    Just an idea, is there a re-forestation charity or a like minded club nearby? They might be happy to organise a sapling harvest day once or twice a year.Free labour and the saplings would go to a very good use. :)
    Just an idea, is there a re-forestation charity or a like minded club nearby? They might be happy to organise a sapling harvest day once or twice a year.Free labour and the saplings would go to a very good use. :)
    Just an idea, is there a re-forestation charity or a like minded club nearby? They might be happy to organise a sapling harvest day once or twice a year.Free labour and the saplings would go to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Charlotte Wilson

Acer palmatum - new young tree not leafing out/dying?

ooohhh so many times on here over the years people buying from that awful company how they are still in business it is beyond me, I just had that feeling reading your post who it was you bought...
    ooohhh so many times on here over the years people buying from that awful company how they are still in business it is beyond me, I just had that feeling reading your post who it was you bought from ... yes they sent me two shrubs just in the pot nothing else !!! no packaging....whether the...
    ooohhh so many times on here over the years people buying from that awful company how they are still in business it is beyond me, I just had that feeling reading your post who it was you bought from ... yes they sent me two shrubs just in the...
    ooohhh so many times on here over the years people buying from that awful company how they are still in business it is beyond me, I just had that feeling reading your post who it was you bought...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Tinkerbelle61

Successful Experiment, but what do I do with them now?

Well, here are my little babies.....I’ve only ‘bonsai’d’ the conkers for now as the others are still a bit small...But happy so far!
    Well, here are my little babies.....I’ve only ‘bonsai’d’ the conkers for now as the others are still a bit small...But happy so far!
    80C72BBE-72BB-455D-A5CE-4405B70C3D51.jpeg DSC00078.JPG 20210513_094139.jpg 5B8B99ED-07B6-4B86-9B36-49C100C54F2C.jpeg 1484765B-CD61-4255-B732-CC76DFC9DB34.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Steve71957

Suggestions for hedge infill

A quick thanks to all who replied. The advice was much appreciated. Im going to try some sort of trellis in that area with clematis. Thanks all.
    A quick thanks to all who replied. The advice was much appreciated. Im going to try some sort of trellis in that area with clematis. Thanks all.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Emily Jones

Tree ID

Good news...appears that we might be getting some cherries on the treeIn other cherry related queries, I planted in a stella cherry tree a few months back, on a colt rootstock. This too...
    Good news...appears that we might be getting some cherries on the treeIn other cherry related queries, I planted in a stella cherry tree a few months back, on a colt rootstock. This too appears to be fruiting, I read somewhere (way back) that in the first few years any fruits produced should...
    Good news...appears that we might be getting some cherries on the treeIn other cherry related queries, I planted in a stella cherry tree a few months back, on a colt rootstock. This too appears to be fruiting, I read somewhere (way back) that...
    Good news...appears that we might be getting some cherries on the treeIn other cherry related queries, I planted in a stella cherry tree a few months back, on a colt rootstock. This too...
    IMG_20210414_164517_190.jpg 20210509_140456.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. dogsbody

Grey Willow

No wouldn't have thought so, its always worth a go with willow.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Max6389

Tree ID

Just off the top of my head I'd say a purple leaved crab apple.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. weedaway

Magnolia Tree

I assume you're magnolia is a grafted plant of a named variety. It looks in the picture to be in the shade of other trees and bushes, I think M. grandiflora needs full sun. It would be the one I...
    I assume you're magnolia is a grafted plant of a named variety. It looks in the picture to be in the shade of other trees and bushes, I think M. grandiflora needs full sun. It would be the one I would grow if I had the space.I have a small seed grown Magnolia that had it's first flower last...
    I assume you're magnolia is a grafted plant of a named variety. It looks in the picture to be in the shade of other trees and bushes, I think M. grandiflora needs full sun. It would be the one I would grow if I had the space.I have a small...
    I assume you're magnolia is a grafted plant of a named variety. It looks in the picture to be in the shade of other trees and bushes, I think M. grandiflora needs full sun. It would be the one I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Simon Harris

control the root spread of a conifer

Hi Simon. :)You say it's a Goldcrest conifer. Would that be Cupressus Macrocarpa? At maturity it's a large tree growing to 40ft in height and 13 - 18ft spread. The roots will spread as much as...
    Hi Simon. :)You say it's a Goldcrest conifer. Would that be Cupressus Macrocarpa? At maturity it's a large tree growing to 40ft in height and 13 - 18ft spread. The roots will spread as much as it's overall height and I would say planting it in a pot is not even a consideration. Even if that was...
    Hi Simon. :)You say it's a Goldcrest conifer. Would that be Cupressus Macrocarpa? At maturity it's a large tree growing to 40ft in height and 13 - 18ft spread. The roots will spread as much as it's overall height and I would say planting it in a...
    Hi Simon. :)You say it's a Goldcrest conifer. Would that be Cupressus Macrocarpa? At maturity it's a large tree growing to 40ft in height and 13 - 18ft spread. The roots will spread as much as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Voobwm

Worried about the width of my Leylandiis extending over the pavement

I think hedge creep is something that happens with most hedges, even ones trimmed regularly. Ive found it's best to use something that can take a really hard cutback every few years, and still...
    I think hedge creep is something that happens with most hedges, even ones trimmed regularly. Ive found it's best to use something that can take a really hard cutback every few years, and still come back good.
    I think hedge creep is something that happens with most hedges, even ones trimmed regularly. Ive found it's best to use something that can take a really hard cutback every few years, and still come back good.
    I think hedge creep is something that happens with most hedges, even ones trimmed regularly. Ive found it's best to use something that can take a really hard cutback every few years, and still...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice