1. THE MAY PHOTO COMP IS OPEN TO ALL MEMBERS COME AND JOIN IN.. AWW GO ON YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE PERFECT PIC SOMEWHERE IN YOU!
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Clare G

Plant a quince? Something else? Your recommendations please!

Thank you all again for your input. Some lovely trees there - if I had room I would find a place for them all :biggrin:.Having got the holly down, I realised that what would work best is a tree that in...
    Thank you all again for your input. Some lovely trees there - if I had room I would find a place for them all :biggrin:.Having got the holly down, I realised that what would work best is a tree that in addition to fulfilling my initial criteria is columnar or at least slender in shape. That way it can...
    Thank you all again for your input. Some lovely trees there - if I had room I would find a place for them all :biggrin:.Having got the holly down, I realised that what would work best is a tree that in addition to fulfilling my initial criteria is...
    Thank you all again for your input. Some lovely trees there - if I had room I would find a place for them all :biggrin:.Having got the holly down, I realised that what would work best is a tree that in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Freddy

Acre Palmatum ‘Garnet’

Just noticed, thread title reads ‘Acre’ :doh:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Clueless76

Help choosing a tree

Well it's better than a sunshade. :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Alex Newton-Smith

Unhappy Toona Sinesis

Its in the ground... to be honest we have had a little rain recently but not loads.I am hoping it isnt a drainage issue... we are clay here, but have done a bit of work trying to improve the...
    Its in the ground... to be honest we have had a little rain recently but not loads.I am hoping it isnt a drainage issue... we are clay here, but have done a bit of work trying to improve the soil in this bed too.
    Its in the ground... to be honest we have had a little rain recently but not loads.I am hoping it isnt a drainage issue... we are clay here, but have done a bit of work trying to improve the soil in this bed too.
    Its in the ground... to be honest we have had a little rain recently but not loads.I am hoping it isnt a drainage issue... we are clay here, but have done a bit of work trying to improve the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Alex Newton-Smith

Acer Problems - To cut or not to cut ?

So Thanks for all you input, did a cut back of acer and even though its a little bit of an odd shape all new sprouts seem strong.Gave a good feed and mulch too... and looks much better! Thanks
    So Thanks for all you input, did a cut back of acer and even though its a little bit of an odd shape all new sprouts seem strong.Gave a good feed and mulch too... and looks much better! Thanks
    IMG_20190511_100653_1.jpg IMG_20190522_081551.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Pilsburypie

Prunus cerasifera (Cherry plum) dying leaves

My thoughts too, viz., drying out. Pilsburypie, water well for a few days then apply as thick a mulch as possible On my light sandy loam I find mulching thickly, even my lawns, helps conserve an...
    My thoughts too, viz., drying out. Pilsburypie, water well for a few days then apply as thick a mulch as possible On my light sandy loam I find mulching thickly, even my lawns, helps conserve an awful lot of water.:)
    My thoughts too, viz., drying out. Pilsburypie, water well for a few days then apply as thick a mulch as possible On my light sandy loam I find mulching thickly, even my lawns, helps conserve an awful lot of water.:)
    My thoughts too, viz., drying out. Pilsburypie, water well for a few days then apply as thick a mulch as possible On my light sandy loam I find mulching thickly, even my lawns, helps conserve an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Dave_79

Tree ID

Thanks. Does the tree surgeon have access to database for checking TPO’s or do I contact the council for that? It may look nice but its a bit of an annoyance in this state. . .I’ve just been in...
    Thanks. Does the tree surgeon have access to database for checking TPO’s or do I contact the council for that? It may look nice but its a bit of an annoyance in this state. . .I’ve just been in that corner under it, painting fences, stuff was falling from it all the time, the whole area is...
    Thanks. Does the tree surgeon have access to database for checking TPO’s or do I contact the council for that? It may look nice but its a bit of an annoyance in this state. . .I’ve just been in that corner under it, painting fences, stuff was...
    Thanks. Does the tree surgeon have access to database for checking TPO’s or do I contact the council for that? It may look nice but its a bit of an annoyance in this state. . .I’ve just been in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. anth85

boundary hedge row

I'd prune them by about a third and hopefully they will fill out lower down.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Eden1

Another gift from mother nature. Can anyone ID this?

Oh the dreaded Sycamore! Having had a large one felled last Autumn there are still two in my garden, one at 60ft the other at the moment about 25ft. They self seed everywhere and tend to suffer...
    Oh the dreaded Sycamore! Having had a large one felled last Autumn there are still two in my garden, one at 60ft the other at the moment about 25ft. They self seed everywhere and tend to suffer from black spot as the season progresses. Just giant weeds to me. :doh:
    Oh the dreaded Sycamore! Having had a large one felled last Autumn there are still two in my garden, one at 60ft the other at the moment about 25ft. They self seed everywhere and tend to suffer from black spot as the season progresses. Just giant...
    Oh the dreaded Sycamore! Having had a large one felled last Autumn there are still two in my garden, one at 60ft the other at the moment about 25ft. They self seed everywhere and tend to suffer...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Eden1

Can anyone ID this tree

Norway Spruce. aka./ christmas tree.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. K78

Thuja Trees

I'd just like to say..What a cracking bunch of gardeners we all are..much respect.:love30::thumbsup:
    I'd just like to say..What a cracking bunch of gardeners we all are..much respect.:love30::thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. jacques27

Removing large bough from cherry blossom

In my opinion you'd be better off leaving it for now. Not only do trees need lower limbs to help grow, but a wound that close to the ground could easily lead to infection from wood decaying...
    In my opinion you'd be better off leaving it for now. Not only do trees need lower limbs to help grow, but a wound that close to the ground could easily lead to infection from wood decaying pathogens. Formative pruning will, instead, be a better option leaving you with a healthy, well shaped and...
    In my opinion you'd be better off leaving it for now. Not only do trees need lower limbs to help grow, but a wound that close to the ground could easily lead to infection from wood decaying pathogens. Formative pruning will, instead, be a better...
    In my opinion you'd be better off leaving it for now. Not only do trees need lower limbs to help grow, but a wound that close to the ground could easily lead to infection from wood decaying...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Snorky85

Espalier help needed

Just watch how side branches grow.....you can post picture in mid summer if you want further advice :)
    Just watch how side branches grow.....you can post picture in mid summer if you want further advice :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Nicholas Burman

Stumps

Contact local landscape gardeners and get quotes. I had loads of stumps removed and was not particularly expensive.
    Contact local landscape gardeners and get quotes. I had loads of stumps removed and was not particularly expensive.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Fat Controller

I need help with my plums

I have used pheromone traps in the orchard for about 30 years. They help to control numbers of pesky moths, but, at least here, they don't eradicate the problem completely. You need to get them in...
    I have used pheromone traps in the orchard for about 30 years. They help to control numbers of pesky moths, but, at least here, they don't eradicate the problem completely. You need to get them in the trees fairly early, IME earlier than they state on the packaging. Then it is important to...
    I have used pheromone traps in the orchard for about 30 years. They help to control numbers of pesky moths, but, at least here, they don't eradicate the problem completely. You need to get them in the trees fairly early, IME earlier than they...
    I have used pheromone traps in the orchard for about 30 years. They help to control numbers of pesky moths, but, at least here, they don't eradicate the problem completely. You need to get them in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Aden Priest
    Like x 7

Giant Redwoods - My story / growth from seed

Hi Aden, great to meet you. I also have a great passion for trees and great admiration for the giant redwoods. These beauties live for over a thousand years. In the Americas some have grown so...
    Hi Aden, great to meet you. I also have a great passion for trees and great admiration for the giant redwoods. These beauties live for over a thousand years. In the Americas some have grown so large that roads have been cut through them. However I doubt that any of us will be around to see...
    Hi Aden, great to meet you. I also have a great passion for trees and great admiration for the giant redwoods. These beauties live for over a thousand years. In the Americas some have grown so large that roads have been cut through them. ...
    Hi Aden, great to meet you. I also have a great passion for trees and great admiration for the giant redwoods. These beauties live for over a thousand years. In the Americas some have grown so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. cheapo

Serious maintainance for a cherry and getting rid of driveway invaders

Thanks for all the advice peeps. I wasn't intending to soak the ground/asphalt with vinegar, just maybe use it as a spray, I know that acetic acid occurs in nature and is basically organic, but is...
    Thanks for all the advice peeps. I wasn't intending to soak the ground/asphalt with vinegar, just maybe use it as a spray, I know that acetic acid occurs in nature and is basically organic, but is produced in bulk from other more toxic chemicals. Have I read somewhere about making a plasticine...
    Thanks for all the advice peeps. I wasn't intending to soak the ground/asphalt with vinegar, just maybe use it as a spray, I know that acetic acid occurs in nature and is basically organic, but is produced in bulk from other more toxic chemicals....
    Thanks for all the advice peeps. I wasn't intending to soak the ground/asphalt with vinegar, just maybe use it as a spray, I know that acetic acid occurs in nature and is basically organic, but is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Jimcub

My tree dusting

I've noticed the same thing in my conifers when the doves and stoggies are in and out of them making nests.
    I've noticed the same thing in my conifers when the doves and stoggies are in and out of them making nests.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. LauraRoslin

Square Park - new trees offered. But what types?

Planting Day is April 4th! :hapfeet:Now I've just got to get people to turn out and help. Will be highly embarrassing if it's just me.
    Planting Day is April 4th! :hapfeet:Now I've just got to get people to turn out and help. Will be highly embarrassing if it's just me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. The Tall One

Inherited Sycamore. To be or not to be.

Hi @The Tall One I agree with everyone else I would have it removed and the stump ground out as well if possible as they are not at all suited to smallgatdensvwhere they will dominate come...
    Hi @The Tall One I agree with everyone else I would have it removed and the stump ground out as well if possible as they are not at all suited to smallgatdensvwhere they will dominate come summer...Before you do that get in touch with the tree department in your local council.. Ask them to...
    Hi @The Tall One I agree with everyone else I would have it removed and the stump ground out as well if possible as they are not at all suited to smallgatdensvwhere they will dominate come summer...Before you do that get in touch with the tree...
    Hi @The Tall One I agree with everyone else I would have it removed and the stump ground out as well if possible as they are not at all suited to smallgatdensvwhere they will dominate come...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice