1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is tap-rooted or not, as some species are while...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb
    Like x 7

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. kazzawazza

Over-pruning a Lilac tree

That was March, this is now
    A013A833-9FD8-445D-BE10-662318ABD87A.jpeg BBEA4D56-1292-4C46-BFA8-34A55EFD5E5D.jpeg 20180619_201848.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Bob9

Whats eating my Nectarines

Well looks like it was a good idea to check my tree out at night, found 2 slugs, as I have a hedgehog round sometimes, thought I would try a beer trap, so I hung some cups in the branches, ended...
    Well looks like it was a good idea to check my tree out at night, found 2 slugs, as I have a hedgehog round sometimes, thought I would try a beer trap, so I hung some cups in the branches, ended up with a slug and some woodlice, so I hope I have found the culprits, will keep the beer traps going...
    Well looks like it was a good idea to check my tree out at night, found 2 slugs, as I have a hedgehog round sometimes, thought I would try a beer trap, so I hung some cups in the branches, ended up with a slug and some woodlice, so I hope I have...
    Well looks like it was a good idea to check my tree out at night, found 2 slugs, as I have a hedgehog round sometimes, thought I would try a beer trap, so I hung some cups in the branches, ended...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Johnnie

Dead Apple tree

Johnnie, old age (could be over 60?) or disease....could be anything and we can only guess reallyRemove it asap :)
    Johnnie, old age (could be over 60?) or disease....could be anything and we can only guess reallyRemove it asap :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Centime

Re-potted Christmas tree struggling to thrive

Well it does look very brown and dead! But the bits underneath are still green and I'm ever the optimist - so I have re-planted now as per @misterQ 's advice, with some sand and a bit of grit, so...
    Well it does look very brown and dead! But the bits underneath are still green and I'm ever the optimist - so I have re-planted now as per @misterQ 's advice, with some sand and a bit of grit, so fingers crossed and I'll update if it works ...
    Well it does look very brown and dead! But the bits underneath are still green and I'm ever the optimist - so I have re-planted now as per @misterQ 's advice, with some sand and a bit of grit, so fingers crossed and I'll update if it works ...
    Well it does look very brown and dead! But the bits underneath are still green and I'm ever the optimist - so I have re-planted now as per @misterQ 's advice, with some sand and a bit of grit, so...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Scudo

Should I thin apples?

Aha that explains a lot then, many of the Polish have a natural affinity with nature and just seem to know what is right when it comes to gardening. My father and his brothers were of Lithuanian...
    Aha that explains a lot then, many of the Polish have a natural affinity with nature and just seem to know what is right when it comes to gardening. My father and his brothers were of Lithuanian parents and all of them were green fingered not so much for flowers but for veg, they all seemed to...
    Aha that explains a lot then, many of the Polish have a natural affinity with nature and just seem to know what is right when it comes to gardening. My father and his brothers were of Lithuanian parents and all of them were green fingered not so...
    Aha that explains a lot then, many of the Polish have a natural affinity with nature and just seem to know what is right when it comes to gardening. My father and his brothers were of Lithuanian...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Concrete_Garden

Pruning a birch, advice required

Welcome to Gardener's Corner.Your tree looks pretty nice to me. From the look of the bark it is Birch Jacquemontii having the lovely white bark. It will look lovely in the winter when the branches...
    Welcome to Gardener's Corner.Your tree looks pretty nice to me. From the look of the bark it is Birch Jacquemontii having the lovely white bark. It will look lovely in the winter when the branches are bare. I would leave it alone but if you desperately want to reduce the tree's size please don't...
    Welcome to Gardener's Corner.Your tree looks pretty nice to me. From the look of the bark it is Birch Jacquemontii having the lovely white bark. It will look lovely in the winter when the branches are bare. I would leave it alone but if you...
    Welcome to Gardener's Corner.Your tree looks pretty nice to me. From the look of the bark it is Birch Jacquemontii having the lovely white bark. It will look lovely in the winter when the branches...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Carllennon

Removed Ivy from tree

Maybe have a look at the thread I posted a few weeks ago @Carllennon "No good deed goes unpunished". The massive tree in question now has huge amounts of dead ivy in it. Hopefully over the next...
    Maybe have a look at the thread I posted a few weeks ago @Carllennon "No good deed goes unpunished". The massive tree in question now has huge amounts of dead ivy in it. Hopefully over the next winter or 2 all of it will fall out of the tree. Certainly the tree is in all its glory atm and...
    Maybe have a look at the thread I posted a few weeks ago @Carllennon "No good deed goes unpunished". The massive tree in question now has huge amounts of dead ivy in it. Hopefully over the next winter or 2 all of it will fall out of the tree....
    Maybe have a look at the thread I posted a few weeks ago @Carllennon "No good deed goes unpunished". The massive tree in question now has huge amounts of dead ivy in it. Hopefully over the next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Black Orchid

Cherry trees and nasturtium - are they good companions?

I suspect that the recommendation came about as Nasturtiums attract blackfly so the thinking goes that they'll lure nasties away from the trees. I'm with NigelJ and Verdun, though..a potted tree...
    I suspect that the recommendation came about as Nasturtiums attract blackfly so the thinking goes that they'll lure nasties away from the trees. I'm with NigelJ and Verdun, though..a potted tree needs plenty of water and nutrients, which the Nasturtiums will be using up.
    I suspect that the recommendation came about as Nasturtiums attract blackfly so the thinking goes that they'll lure nasties away from the trees. I'm with NigelJ and Verdun, though..a potted tree needs plenty of water and nutrients, which the...
    I suspect that the recommendation came about as Nasturtiums attract blackfly so the thinking goes that they'll lure nasties away from the trees. I'm with NigelJ and Verdun, though..a potted tree...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Gail_68

Cordyline Australis and Flowering

Pete the one where the main shoots was took from, in the middle at the top there was new leaves hiding under the dead ones but in this one in the centre it looked hollow but it only as this one...
    Pete the one where the main shoots was took from, in the middle at the top there was new leaves hiding under the dead ones but in this one in the centre it looked hollow but it only as this one shooting.Looking at them in reality to pictures they look healthy, so as you've advised i'll leave...
    Pete the one where the main shoots was took from, in the middle at the top there was new leaves hiding under the dead ones but in this one in the centre it looked hollow but it only as this one shooting.Looking at them in reality to pictures...
    Pete the one where the main shoots was took from, in the middle at the top there was new leaves hiding under the dead ones but in this one in the centre it looked hollow but it only as this one...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Nattie75

Moving 11 yr old Christmas tree

Nattie75, you can't move that conifer; far, far too big. If you cut it back it won't grow back.I would take it out or cut it down to leave a 6' to 9' bare trunk and use it to plant a clematis...
    Nattie75, you can't move that conifer; far, far too big. If you cut it back it won't grow back.I would take it out or cut it down to leave a 6' to 9' bare trunk and use it to plant a clematis montanna on it.:)
    Nattie75, you can't move that conifer; far, far too big. If you cut it back it won't grow back.I would take it out or cut it down to leave a 6' to 9' bare trunk and use it to plant a clematis montanna on it.:)
    Nattie75, you can't move that conifer; far, far too big. If you cut it back it won't grow back.I would take it out or cut it down to leave a 6' to 9' bare trunk and use it to plant a clematis...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. bestify
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Terri Stevens

problems with Acer

Hi Terri...the crimson sentry what you have still comes under crimson king when I was looking on the net...some times they're in the same genetic family :)
    Hi Terri...the crimson sentry what you have still comes under crimson king when I was looking on the net...some times they're in the same genetic family :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. 2nd_bassoon

Flowering Acer

Hi KFF...this isn't mentioned though when reading about the plant only about leaf changes in colour...:thankyou: for mentioning that :thumbsup: another piece of information learnt never having one myself :)
    Hi KFF...this isn't mentioned though when reading about the plant only about leaf changes in colour...:thankyou: for mentioning that :thumbsup: another piece of information learnt never having one myself :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Weedling

Apple Tree Fire Blight?

While I am posting in the trees section.I realised I can get some thoughts of another tree related issue.I have an old apple tree in the back garden. It is provides a good crop when it is a good...
    While I am posting in the trees section.I realised I can get some thoughts of another tree related issue.I have an old apple tree in the back garden. It is provides a good crop when it is a good year. It is at least 40 years old.In the last few years, it seemed to get weaker and one one side...
    While I am posting in the trees section.I realised I can get some thoughts of another tree related issue.I have an old apple tree in the back garden. It is provides a good crop when it is a good year. It is at least 40 years old.In the last...
    While I am posting in the trees section.I realised I can get some thoughts of another tree related issue.I have an old apple tree in the back garden. It is provides a good crop when it is a good...
    trees-5540.jpg trees-5542.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Weedling

To Fell or Not to Fell

My thinking too Shiney....good advice too about the TPO. :) The copper beech, with skilled pruning, has to be retained :)
    My thinking too Shiney....good advice too about the TPO. :) The copper beech, with skilled pruning, has to be retained :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. TheMadHedger
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Bfm

Lylandi stumps

Thanks for all the great advice. Certainly lots of think about.I took a few hours last weekend and dug a hole around each stump. I'd say another 2-3 feet below ground level. My reasoning...
    Thanks for all the great advice. Certainly lots of think about.I took a few hours last weekend and dug a hole around each stump. I'd say another 2-3 feet below ground level. My reasoning was that it would make work easy for a stump grinder. Would this be a fair assumption? So rather...
    Thanks for all the great advice. Certainly lots of think about.I took a few hours last weekend and dug a hole around each stump. I'd say another 2-3 feet below ground level. My reasoning was that it would make work easy for a stump...
    Thanks for all the great advice. Certainly lots of think about.I took a few hours last weekend and dug a hole around each stump. I'd say another 2-3 feet below ground level. My reasoning...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Jack Sparrow

Tree for small garden

For another possibility, look into peaches. You won't find most people with a peach tree, but the right ones are perfectly happy in Britain.Sadly I wasn't in the place I planted mine long enough...
    For another possibility, look into peaches. You won't find most people with a peach tree, but the right ones are perfectly happy in Britain.Sadly I wasn't in the place I planted mine long enough to see it get to full sized (which was due to be about 6ft). In spring it produced amazing magenta...
    For another possibility, look into peaches. You won't find most people with a peach tree, but the right ones are perfectly happy in Britain.Sadly I wasn't in the place I planted mine long enough to see it get to full sized (which was due to be...
    For another possibility, look into peaches. You won't find most people with a peach tree, but the right ones are perfectly happy in Britain.Sadly I wasn't in the place I planted mine long enough...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. silu

No good deed goes unpunished?

Thanks all for your input. Have no intention or for that matter hope! of removing the Ivy atm or ever . All that has been done is to saw through the stems at the base of the tree. It's about 80/90...
    Thanks all for your input. Have no intention or for that matter hope! of removing the Ivy atm or ever . All that has been done is to saw through the stems at the base of the tree. It's about 80/90 ft high and so it will be a case of the stems dying off and then falling over time I expect. I...
    Thanks all for your input. Have no intention or for that matter hope! of removing the Ivy atm or ever . All that has been done is to saw through the stems at the base of the tree. It's about 80/90 ft high and so it will be a case of the stems...
    Thanks all for your input. Have no intention or for that matter hope! of removing the Ivy atm or ever . All that has been done is to saw through the stems at the base of the tree. It's about 80/90...
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. alex-adam

Killing Trees using Copper Nails?

@Marley Farley I'm sure it isn't and it's just my cynical nature.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options