Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Oldcodger

Did I just dodge a cowboy's bullet?

Another thought (at a tangent, as that is how I’m ticking, now).Those long, dangling stems of willow that you want to trim back? Do you have an independent florist nearby, or maybe evening...
    Another thought (at a tangent, as that is how I’m ticking, now).Those long, dangling stems of willow that you want to trim back? Do you have an independent florist nearby, or maybe evening classes doing flower-arranging? They might be delighted to have some of those stems, would be happy to...
    Another thought (at a tangent, as that is how I’m ticking, now).Those long, dangling stems of willow that you want to trim back? Do you have an independent florist nearby, or maybe evening classes doing flower-arranging? They might be delighted...
    Another thought (at a tangent, as that is how I’m ticking, now).Those long, dangling stems of willow that you want to trim back? Do you have an independent florist nearby, or maybe evening...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Palustris

Laburnum thought

I have just checked the internet. Laburnum anagyroides, laburnum - THE POISON GARDEN website Provides some interesting and valuable information.
    I have just checked the internet. Laburnum anagyroides, laburnum - THE POISON GARDEN website Provides some interesting and valuable information.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Fat Controller

Need a new fruit tree

Cherries, although nice, can be difficult to get to pick the fruit. Unless you're prepared to cover them the birds will eat them before they have ripened.
    Cherries, although nice, can be difficult to get to pick the fruit. Unless you're prepared to cover them the birds will eat them before they have ripened.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Nikayla

Poorly Curry Leaf Trees

Hello mint, as that thread was back in 2012, perhaps the OP is no longer around? I have a friend locally who grows lots of Murraya koenigii so if you like, I'll ask her if she's got some fresh,...
    Hello mint, as that thread was back in 2012, perhaps the OP is no longer around? I have a friend locally who grows lots of Murraya koenigii so if you like, I'll ask her if she's got some fresh, viable seed to spare. Watch this space!
    Hello mint, as that thread was back in 2012, perhaps the OP is no longer around? I have a friend locally who grows lots of Murraya koenigii so if you like, I'll ask her if she's got some fresh, viable seed to spare. Watch this space!
    Hello mint, as that thread was back in 2012, perhaps the OP is no longer around? I have a friend locally who grows lots of Murraya koenigii so if you like, I'll ask her if she's got some fresh,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. hoofy

Is my grafted cherry growing right?

It even appears to be making roots from slightly above the graft and at the base of the sucker..
    It even appears to be making roots from slightly above the graft and at the base of the sucker..
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Anthonyd70

Watering newly planted trees

@pete "Paul's Scarlet" is a decorative hawthorn, "Royal Empress" appears to be a Paulownia tomentosa. @Anthonyd70 I agree with Mike and Pete I wouldn't think of watering until I saw signs of...
    @pete "Paul's Scarlet" is a decorative hawthorn, "Royal Empress" appears to be a Paulownia tomentosa. @Anthonyd70 I agree with Mike and Pete I wouldn't think of watering until I saw signs of growth next spring. Even then I would only water if it was very dry already.
    @pete "Paul's Scarlet" is a decorative hawthorn, "Royal Empress" appears to be a Paulownia tomentosa. @Anthonyd70 I agree with Mike and Pete I wouldn't think of watering until I saw signs of growth next spring. Even then I would only water if it...
    @pete "Paul's Scarlet" is a decorative hawthorn, "Royal Empress" appears to be a Paulownia tomentosa. @Anthonyd70 I agree with Mike and Pete I wouldn't think of watering until I saw signs of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Fat Controller

Plum tree pruning and maintenance

You could try 'grease bands' FC..The female coddling moth can't fly so climb up the trunk to lay their eggs...causing the maggotty little critters. As Shiney says too late to prune now but the...
    You could try 'grease bands' FC..The female coddling moth can't fly so climb up the trunk to lay their eggs...causing the maggotty little critters. As Shiney says too late to prune now but the only other thing I can suggest is get rid of any fallen fruit and stones from off the tree.:blue thumb:
    You could try 'grease bands' FC..The female coddling moth can't fly so climb up the trunk to lay their eggs...causing the maggotty little critters. As Shiney says too late to prune now but the only other thing I can suggest is get rid of any...
    You could try 'grease bands' FC..The female coddling moth can't fly so climb up the trunk to lay their eggs...causing the maggotty little critters. As Shiney says too late to prune now but the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Slinky

Wollemi Pine

Well youre a cheerful one arent you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. hoofy
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Voobwm

When to top a new leylandii hedge tree

Although a lot of people cut back in the Autumn the conservationists (and Which? Gardening this month) say you should not prune hedges until the new year. This not for the good of the hedge but...
    Although a lot of people cut back in the Autumn the conservationists (and Which? Gardening this month) say you should not prune hedges until the new year. This not for the good of the hedge but for the insects that live in them as it helps the birds with winter feed.
    Although a lot of people cut back in the Autumn the conservationists (and Which? Gardening this month) say you should not prune hedges until the new year. This not for the good of the hedge but for the insects that live in them as it helps the...
    Although a lot of people cut back in the Autumn the conservationists (and Which? Gardening this month) say you should not prune hedges until the new year. This not for the good of the hedge but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Holy Moley

Pruning a magnolia grandiflora

I have a few mags. also tree hydrangea I prune. My method is------first I go inside the tree, I look for branches that are going straight up to the heavens, those I cut off. Then I look for...
    I have a few mags. also tree hydrangea I prune. My method is------first I go inside the tree, I look for branches that are going straight up to the heavens, those I cut off. Then I look for what limbs are rubbing against each other, that will cause harm to the outer bark on one of them. I...
    I have a few mags. also tree hydrangea I prune. My method is------first I go inside the tree, I look for branches that are going straight up to the heavens, those I cut off. Then I look for what limbs are rubbing against each other, that...
    I have a few mags. also tree hydrangea I prune. My method is------first I go inside the tree, I look for branches that are going straight up to the heavens, those I cut off. Then I look for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Jack Sparrow

Sorbus

Hi @Steve Canham . The tree is as thick as the cane. I'm more than happy to take the cane away. I have a Salix flamingo that is roughly the same size and looks after itself quite nicely.The wind...
    Hi @Steve Canham . The tree is as thick as the cane. I'm more than happy to take the cane away. I have a Salix flamingo that is roughly the same size and looks after itself quite nicely.The wind here is a problem. That's one of the reasons I've tucked the sorbus in behind the bin store....
    Hi @Steve Canham . The tree is as thick as the cane. I'm more than happy to take the cane away. I have a Salix flamingo that is roughly the same size and looks after itself quite nicely.The wind here is a problem. That's one of the reasons...
    Hi @Steve Canham . The tree is as thick as the cane. I'm more than happy to take the cane away. I have a Salix flamingo that is roughly the same size and looks after itself quite nicely.The wind...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Zaria123

Tree Suggestions

Shrubby honeysuckle (lonicera nitida). It's a classic hedging plant, looks a bit tidier than box or privet IMO, and whilst the flowers are tiny they do smell nice.
    Shrubby honeysuckle (lonicera nitida). It's a classic hedging plant, looks a bit tidier than box or privet IMO, and whilst the flowers are tiny they do smell nice.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. shiney

What Is This Tree?

Thanks everyone :blue thumb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Soys

Anyone able to graft pear trees !?

Thanks for the advice , im going to give it a try ! Hopefully i dont fail again lol
    Thanks for the advice , im going to give it a try ! Hopefully i dont fail again lol
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Rebekah

Is this fireblight?

It wasn't the biggest tree but anyway...l'll keep watering it next year. Thanks again.
    It wasn't the biggest tree but anyway...l'll keep watering it next year. Thanks again.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. northern_nubie

Monster Box Honeysuckle pruning

Thanks, Pete (and those who agreed with your comment). I feel a bit more confident now in giving it thorough cutting back, probably going back four or five inches in parts. I'll do it in stages...
    Thanks, Pete (and those who agreed with your comment). I feel a bit more confident now in giving it thorough cutting back, probably going back four or five inches in parts. I'll do it in stages over two or three Springs, doing one side first Spring, etc. It would have been a lot easier if it...
    Thanks, Pete (and those who agreed with your comment). I feel a bit more confident now in giving it thorough cutting back, probably going back four or five inches in parts. I'll do it in stages over two or three Springs, doing one side first...
    Thanks, Pete (and those who agreed with your comment). I feel a bit more confident now in giving it thorough cutting back, probably going back four or five inches in parts. I'll do it in stages...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Dougyb83

Acer cuttings

@Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings. As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd...
    @Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings. As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd stick them in a pot outside and see what happens. Mix plenty of grit into the soil in the pot and...
    @Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings. As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd stick them in a pot outside and see what happens....
    @Dougyb83 You have nothing to lose by trying cuttings in the garden; I doubt if they know their not supposed to grow easily from cuttings. As for the seed I don't know: I think for a first go I'd...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Voobwm

Do new leylandii go darker in time?

Thanks for the picture. :) I think they will remain light in colour but there is a chance they might darken slightly with maturity and trimming but won't be as dark as the others.
    Thanks for the picture. :) I think they will remain light in colour but there is a chance they might darken slightly with maturity and trimming but won't be as dark as the others.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Inca-Bo

Problem with a shrub / bush

Give yhe plants a good hosing down
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice