Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Kayne

Crab apple choice

Hi some crab apple tree take a while to mature but Some crab apple trees grow faster than others name a fewButterball - for its beautiful large yellow speckled fruits.Comtesse de Paris - for...
    Hi some crab apple tree take a while to mature but Some crab apple trees grow faster than others name a fewButterball - for its beautiful large yellow speckled fruits.Comtesse de Paris - for its bright yellow fruits, which stay on the tree well into autumn.Jelly King - its large...
    Hi some crab apple tree take a while to mature but Some crab apple trees grow faster than others name a fewButterball - for its beautiful large yellow speckled fruits.Comtesse de Paris - for its bright yellow fruits, which stay on the tree...
    Hi some crab apple tree take a while to mature but Some crab apple trees grow faster than others name a fewButterball - for its beautiful large yellow speckled fruits.Comtesse de Paris - for...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Tinkerbelle61

Established orchard plum tree sick or dying?

Thanks @NigelJ I’ll intend to be more on top of things but it’s good to know there is a bit of leeway on dates. :)Tink.
    Thanks @NigelJ I’ll intend to be more on top of things but it’s good to know there is a bit of leeway on dates. :)Tink.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jules W

New Eucalyptus Leaves Dying

Thanks for your reply Tomcat! Hopefully one day I'll have a real garden, but for now I'll make the best of my balcony :)
    Thanks for your reply Tomcat! Hopefully one day I'll have a real garden, but for now I'll make the best of my balcony :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Jocko

Mistletoe. A good idea?

From what I have read the berries are best picked in late February or early March.
    From what I have read the berries are best picked in late February or early March.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Cherry Blossom beginner

Cherry Blossom Beginner

Your little tree looks very healthy in the photo. It is a good thing that it is not putting on lots of growth yet , it is busy putting out a good root system , to support a tree ! . Let’s see...
    Your little tree looks very healthy in the photo. It is a good thing that it is not putting on lots of growth yet , it is busy putting out a good root system , to support a tree ! . Let’s see how it looks now
    Your little tree looks very healthy in the photo. It is a good thing that it is not putting on lots of growth yet , it is busy putting out a good root system , to support a tree ! . Let’s see how it looks now
    Your little tree looks very healthy in the photo. It is a good thing that it is not putting on lots of growth yet , it is busy putting out a good root system , to support a tree ! . Let’s see...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Victoria
    Like x 4

Olea europaea (Olive Tree)

I would NOT call you “ old “ , l prefer “ experienced “ !! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Oldcodger

How to find a competent person to determine if my tree is in a safe condition.

I think it was considered "an act of god", but the tree itself was a balsam poplar growing very close to a drainage ditch, the water table where they live is not that far down anyway.The hole...
    I think it was considered "an act of god", but the tree itself was a balsam poplar growing very close to a drainage ditch, the water table where they live is not that far down anyway.The hole where the roots came out the ground was just filled with water.The tree was growing within the...
    I think it was considered "an act of god", but the tree itself was a balsam poplar growing very close to a drainage ditch, the water table where they live is not that far down anyway.The hole where the roots came out the ground was just filled...
    I think it was considered "an act of god", but the tree itself was a balsam poplar growing very close to a drainage ditch, the water table where they live is not that far down anyway.The hole...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Lem

The Sycamore

@pete i’ve already got 3 maple seedling and 3 gum tree seedlings growing, their about 2 1/2” tall at present. The reason for the sycamore, I was curious as I’d never tried to germinate the seed....
    @pete i’ve already got 3 maple seedling and 3 gum tree seedlings growing, their about 2 1/2” tall at present. The reason for the sycamore, I was curious as I’d never tried to germinate the seed. I’ve got 2 Scot’s pine bonsai saplings growing, they are doing quite well, I kept dwarfing them so...
    @pete i’ve already got 3 maple seedling and 3 gum tree seedlings growing, their about 2 1/2” tall at present. The reason for the sycamore, I was curious as I’d never tried to germinate the seed. I’ve got 2 Scot’s pine bonsai saplings growing,...
    @pete i’ve already got 3 maple seedling and 3 gum tree seedlings growing, their about 2 1/2” tall at present. The reason for the sycamore, I was curious as I’d never tried to germinate the seed....
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Lem
    Like x 11

My favourite tree

Oh I see thanks.
    Oh I see thanks.
    Oh I see thanks.
    Oh I see thanks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Quovadisuk

Fruit tree disease

Hello Quo, welcome to GC :) Make sure you collect up all the wormy apples and dispose of them thoroughly...i.e. don't put on a compost heap. You could try pheromone traps next spring. They...
    Hello Quo, welcome to GC :) Make sure you collect up all the wormy apples and dispose of them thoroughly...i.e. don't put on a compost heap. You could try pheromone traps next spring. They attract the males of the moths responsible for maggotty apples (codling moth), they get stuck on the trap,...
    Hello Quo, welcome to GC :) Make sure you collect up all the wormy apples and dispose of them thoroughly...i.e. don't put on a compost heap. You could try pheromone traps next spring. They attract the males of the moths responsible for maggotty...
    Hello Quo, welcome to GC :) Make sure you collect up all the wormy apples and dispose of them thoroughly...i.e. don't put on a compost heap. You could try pheromone traps next spring. They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Frazzled

Where to start with recovering an abandoned orchard?

I think for this year I'd keep it to clearing the floor and pruning out dead, diseased and crossing wood from the apples and pears. Leave the rest to next summer
    I think for this year I'd keep it to clearing the floor and pruning out dead, diseased and crossing wood from the apples and pears. Leave the rest to next summer
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. weedaway

Over hanging tree

I took some new pictures of the hedge and tree this afternoon from my side of the boundary, in this first one you can see that the hedge is on the boundary, with the hole in it you can see the...
    I took some new pictures of the hedge and tree this afternoon from my side of the boundary, in this first one you can see that the hedge is on the boundary, with the hole in it you can see the ground of the service lane.This next picture you can see that the tree/branches are on the...
    I took some new pictures of the hedge and tree this afternoon from my side of the boundary, in this first one you can see that the hedge is on the boundary, with the hole in it you can see the ground of the service lane.This next picture...
    I took some new pictures of the hedge and tree this afternoon from my side of the boundary, in this first one you can see that the hedge is on the boundary, with the hole in it you can see the...
    95.JPG 96.JPG 97.JPG 98.JPG 99.JPG 98.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Tinkerbelle61
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Denis_RUS

Cherry tree pruning

Thanks a lot for your advice! :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Barders

Dying Acer?

Brilliant @pete, many thanks. I will do that tomorrow :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Sheikh

Another “big silver birch” question

Thanks @shiney,i dont think itl be too thick the tree doesnt look a big as sheikhs,i just wouldnt want to harm the tree to gain them to dry the washing faster,there isnt a lot on the back hedges...
    Thanks @shiney,i dont think itl be too thick the tree doesnt look a big as sheikhs,i just wouldnt want to harm the tree to gain them to dry the washing faster,there isnt a lot on the back hedges here between the houses and the bats need all the hedge growth/trees they can use xx
    Thanks @shiney,i dont think itl be too thick the tree doesnt look a big as sheikhs,i just wouldnt want to harm the tree to gain them to dry the washing faster,there isnt a lot on the back hedges here between the houses and the bats need all the...
    Thanks @shiney,i dont think itl be too thick the tree doesnt look a big as sheikhs,i just wouldnt want to harm the tree to gain them to dry the washing faster,there isnt a lot on the back hedges...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. CanadianLori

Spraying an apple tree

I'm sure everyone has seen me moan about the neighbour's apple tree at my back fence line. It has been dropping diseased or rotten apples on my lawn for about 3 weeks now. They don't prune, spray,...
    I'm sure everyone has seen me moan about the neighbour's apple tree at my back fence line. It has been dropping diseased or rotten apples on my lawn for about 3 weeks now. They don't prune, spray, or do anything to maintain this tree.Is it possible to get healthy apples from one half of a...
    I'm sure everyone has seen me moan about the neighbour's apple tree at my back fence line. It has been dropping diseased or rotten apples on my lawn for about 3 weeks now. They don't prune, spray, or do anything to maintain this tree.Is it...
    I'm sure everyone has seen me moan about the neighbour's apple tree at my back fence line. It has been dropping diseased or rotten apples on my lawn for about 3 weeks now. They don't prune, spray,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. weedaway

Dying Conifers, Please help.

Osmocote controlled release is all I can think of. It needs mixing into the compost when you pot on.
    Osmocote controlled release is all I can think of. It needs mixing into the compost when you pot on.
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. wiseowl

Victoria Plum tree

Your welcome Woo.
    Your welcome Woo.
    Your welcome Woo.
    Your welcome Woo.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. brianbloke

Advice needed - unhealthy knothole/overflow.

Always the way that your favourites get into trouble. Just a word of advice, try to get a proper arborist not a cowboy firm who are tree slaughterers rather than surgeons! We unfortunately have...
    Always the way that your favourites get into trouble. Just a word of advice, try to get a proper arborist not a cowboy firm who are tree slaughterers rather than surgeons! We unfortunately have had quite a few chainsaw massacreists ( spelling iffy!) over the years c/o the power company as there...
    Always the way that your favourites get into trouble. Just a word of advice, try to get a proper arborist not a cowboy firm who are tree slaughterers rather than surgeons! We unfortunately have had quite a few chainsaw massacreists ( spelling...
    Always the way that your favourites get into trouble. Just a word of advice, try to get a proper arborist not a cowboy firm who are tree slaughterers rather than surgeons! We unfortunately have...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice