All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is tap-rooted or not, as some species are while...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful when planning gardens if we knew whether a tree is...
    Going back to @kindredspirit 's post, I've always wanted a good book or some sort of reference on what sort of root systems individual trees have, but have drawn a blank. It would be very helpful...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb
    Like x 7

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Zaria123

Replacement Tree Question

Leylandii are not particularly good for fires but if the wood is free then you can't complain. They don't give off a lot of heat for their size. Also, it's best not to have them on an open fire...
    Leylandii are not particularly good for fires but if the wood is free then you can't complain. They don't give off a lot of heat for their size. Also, it's best not to have them on an open fire as they spit - even if seasoned. They do have a nice smell. They're also a wood that can be a bit...
    Leylandii are not particularly good for fires but if the wood is free then you can't complain. They don't give off a lot of heat for their size. Also, it's best not to have them on an open fire as they spit - even if seasoned. They do have a...
    Leylandii are not particularly good for fires but if the wood is free then you can't complain. They don't give off a lot of heat for their size. Also, it's best not to have them on an open fire...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Aden Priest
    Like x 6

Giant Redwoods - My story / growth from seed

I grew a few years ago from seed gathered in my local park. I only kept one, and it was in a pot for many years, stunted, eventually I planted it out on my allotment, me being crazy,:biggrin: it has had...
    I grew a few years ago from seed gathered in my local park. I only kept one, and it was in a pot for many years, stunted, eventually I planted it out on my allotment, me being crazy,:biggrin: it has had the top taken out of it a couple of times, but it just forms a new leader and heads for the sky...
    I grew a few years ago from seed gathered in my local park. I only kept one, and it was in a pot for many years, stunted, eventually I planted it out on my allotment, me being crazy,:biggrin: it has had the top taken out of it a couple of times, but it...
    I grew a few years ago from seed gathered in my local park. I only kept one, and it was in a pot for many years, stunted, eventually I planted it out on my allotment, me being crazy,:biggrin: it has had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. MAJ

Mature Comice Pear Tree Struggling

Hello MAJ :) I am a great believer in mulching. I am currently mulching my own garden and apply it thickly and generously and this is what I would do in your case. A fertiliser would not...
    Hello MAJ :) I am a great believer in mulching. I am currently mulching my own garden and apply it thickly and generously and this is what I would do in your case. A fertiliser would not hurt....if you decide to do this I would use fish blood and bone and topped with a thick mulch. You could...
    Hello MAJ :) I am a great believer in mulching. I am currently mulching my own garden and apply it thickly and generously and this is what I would do in your case. A fertiliser would not hurt....if you decide to do this I would use fish blood and...
    Hello MAJ :) I am a great believer in mulching. I am currently mulching my own garden and apply it thickly and generously and this is what I would do in your case. A fertiliser would not...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. LauraRoslin

Square Park - new trees offered. But what types?

Thanks Redwing!It's not really clay-clay. It's actually quite good soil. The picture below is off it after it had been squished onto the pavement after a week of rain.
    Thanks Redwing!It's not really clay-clay. It's actually quite good soil. The picture below is off it after it had been squished onto the pavement after a week of rain.
    IMG_20181228_125258.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Snorky85

Granny Smiths

@pete cheers I'll have a read when I've a few minutes ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Phil James

Dreaded Conifer Problem!

If they touch at any point then they are a hedge. :blue thumb: It's being pedantic but the law copes with that.
    If they touch at any point then they are a hedge. :blue thumb: It's being pedantic but the law copes with that.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Phil A

Which tree?

I understand Martin-f has gone as well.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Snorky85

Pleached trees....spacing

Hi,I'm looking to purchase some pleaced portuguese laurel trees to provide some screening in the front garden. We walk down steps from our drive into the front garden and the wall height is...
    Hi,I'm looking to purchase some pleaced portuguese laurel trees to provide some screening in the front garden. We walk down steps from our drive into the front garden and the wall height is slightly above 1 meter and the wall length is 6m.I've found a pleached portguese laurel tree with a...
    Hi,I'm looking to purchase some pleaced portuguese laurel trees to provide some screening in the front garden. We walk down steps from our drive into the front garden and the wall height is slightly above 1 meter and the wall length is...
    Hi,I'm looking to purchase some pleaced portuguese laurel trees to provide some screening in the front garden. We walk down steps from our drive into the front garden and the wall height is...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Luke Underwood

How can I help my cherry tree?

I would just clear the site and start again.I had 2 cherry trees,needed pruned,left one to recover for 10 years and it just turned into an ugly big tree. Plenty cherry blossom but ugly when the...
    I would just clear the site and start again.I had 2 cherry trees,needed pruned,left one to recover for 10 years and it just turned into an ugly big tree. Plenty cherry blossom but ugly when the leaves dropped. One met the chainsaw last year. So much light in the garden again and that part of...
    I would just clear the site and start again.I had 2 cherry trees,needed pruned,left one to recover for 10 years and it just turned into an ugly big tree. Plenty cherry blossom but ugly when the leaves dropped. One met the chainsaw last year. So...
    I would just clear the site and start again.I had 2 cherry trees,needed pruned,left one to recover for 10 years and it just turned into an ugly big tree. Plenty cherry blossom but ugly when the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. hedgefog

Is this Birch tree dead?

Friends. I am so delighted when I read Q&A's relating to trees. Naturally gardening forums are a meeting place for those who simply love plants and flowers. Ooops! sorry veggie growers, but I...
    Friends. I am so delighted when I read Q&A's relating to trees. Naturally gardening forums are a meeting place for those who simply love plants and flowers. Ooops! sorry veggie growers, but I am sure we are all on track here. What would we do without our spuds, greens and salad crops. Oh...
    Friends. I am so delighted when I read Q&A's relating to trees. Naturally gardening forums are a meeting place for those who simply love plants and flowers. Ooops! sorry veggie growers, but I am sure we are all on track here. What would we...
    Friends. I am so delighted when I read Q&A's relating to trees. Naturally gardening forums are a meeting place for those who simply love plants and flowers. Ooops! sorry veggie growers, but I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Amy Willshire

Alder Tree

Hi @Amy Willshire the old way of building ponds (large ones) was with puddled clay. But they need skill and scale. And an alder sucking out the moisture would cause the clay to crack and thus ruin...
    Hi @Amy Willshire the old way of building ponds (large ones) was with puddled clay. But they need skill and scale. And an alder sucking out the moisture would cause the clay to crack and thus ruin such a pond. I think Christopher Lloyd mentioned that his horse pond (originally for providing...
    Hi @Amy Willshire the old way of building ponds (large ones) was with puddled clay. But they need skill and scale. And an alder sucking out the moisture would cause the clay to crack and thus ruin such a pond. I think Christopher Lloyd mentioned...
    Hi @Amy Willshire the old way of building ponds (large ones) was with puddled clay. But they need skill and scale. And an alder sucking out the moisture would cause the clay to crack and thus ruin...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Gail_68

Cordyline Australis and Flowering

Hi @pete I hope your doing ok :thumbsup:...my cordylines are coming on smashing since you gave me great advice mate :)
    Hi @pete I hope your doing ok :thumbsup:...my cordylines are coming on smashing since you gave me great advice mate :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. karaman

Which is a sweet cherry?

magic! lots to think about, thanks to all -- tending towards a sunburst fan but have to sleep on it...thanks again to everyone, its so good to get lots of opinions. cheers, karaman
    magic! lots to think about, thanks to all -- tending towards a sunburst fan but have to sleep on it...thanks again to everyone, its so good to get lots of opinions. cheers, karaman
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Victoria
    Like x 7

Spectacular Oak

Thank you Woo. xx I am 'contemplating painting again, perhaps in the New Year as I am busy with crochet at the moment. Maybe I will attempt that spectacular tree. :whistle:
    Thank you Woo. xx I am 'contemplating painting again, perhaps in the New Year as I am busy with crochet at the moment. Maybe I will attempt that spectacular tree. :whistle:
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. hedgefog

Moving an Apple Tree

hi allWe have an apple tree about 8-9 years old. It is at the corner of the garden surrounded by other plants like connifers, box trees and ferns. It was ok when it was a young tree thin and...
    hi allWe have an apple tree about 8-9 years old. It is at the corner of the garden surrounded by other plants like connifers, box trees and ferns. It was ok when it was a young tree thin and short, but now it has grown to about 15 ft from ground. It is growing fast, and look a bit crowded in...
    hi allWe have an apple tree about 8-9 years old. It is at the corner of the garden surrounded by other plants like connifers, box trees and ferns. It was ok when it was a young tree thin and short, but now it has grown to about 15 ft from...
    hi allWe have an apple tree about 8-9 years old. It is at the corner of the garden surrounded by other plants like connifers, box trees and ferns. It was ok when it was a young tree thin and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Paul Blackburn

Solanum Tree Blown Over

Paul, how about two stakes - one either side and attach some wire trellis (wouldn`t cost too much) between for your solanum to grow on to - even if the wire trellis was in front of the plant, it...
    Paul, how about two stakes - one either side and attach some wire trellis (wouldn`t cost too much) between for your solanum to grow on to - even if the wire trellis was in front of the plant, it would give it some support :)
    Paul, how about two stakes - one either side and attach some wire trellis (wouldn`t cost too much) between for your solanum to grow on to - even if the wire trellis was in front of the plant, it would give it some support :)
    Paul, how about two stakes - one either side and attach some wire trellis (wouldn`t cost too much) between for your solanum to grow on to - even if the wire trellis was in front of the plant, it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. crocus
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Phil A

Sperm

Yeah, they get everywhere these days. Be glad when we get brexit sorted, that'le stop em.:biggrin:
    Yeah, they get everywhere these days. Be glad when we get brexit sorted, that'le stop em.:biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Mel

tree fern

Really good to know, Pete. I have been spraying them daily. The temp at my windowsill is 10degrees. The room was 14 degrees this morning. I'll spray them several times a day from now on. Thanks
    Really good to know, Pete. I have been spraying them daily. The temp at my windowsill is 10degrees. The room was 14 degrees this morning. I'll spray them several times a day from now on. Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. TheMadHedger

Apple tree uprooted

Surely it could be winched back up and then supported in position
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice