Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Eddie Hayes

Help Tree planting soil depth

As a hedge I think you'd get away with it, but not as a pleach ... I think they need to grow "like trees" and get their roots down.If they are potted I'd leave them be until the ground is ready....
    As a hedge I think you'd get away with it, but not as a pleach ... I think they need to grow "like trees" and get their roots down.If they are potted I'd leave them be until the ground is ready. If they are rootballed or bare-root I'd get some big pots and covert them to potted ... until the...
    As a hedge I think you'd get away with it, but not as a pleach ... I think they need to grow "like trees" and get their roots down.If they are potted I'd leave them be until the ground is ready. If they are rootballed or bare-root I'd get some...
    As a hedge I think you'd get away with it, but not as a pleach ... I think they need to grow "like trees" and get their roots down.If they are potted I'd leave them be until the ground is ready....
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. clum111

Magnolia Side Shoot

Hi @clum111, the best thing would be some photos, always easier for people to give advice based on them as opposed to a description. :)Nick
    Hi @clum111, the best thing would be some photos, always easier for people to give advice based on them as opposed to a description. :)Nick
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Emily Jones

Jonagold apple tree

Hi @Emily Jones and welcome! All I can see is a flower bud (and a cluster of later ones around it) in the middle of a set of healthy leaves. What is worrying you specifically?
    Hi @Emily Jones and welcome! All I can see is a flower bud (and a cluster of later ones around it) in the middle of a set of healthy leaves. What is worrying you specifically?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Max6389

Cherry Blossom tree issue

I'm trying to work out where the close ups are on the picture of the tree?
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Max6389

Leaves falling off

I have this tree/bush in my garden and the leaves are falling off. Should this be happening at this time of year? I do not know what it is but noticed some spots on the leaves. Can’t see any...
    I have this tree/bush in my garden and the leaves are falling off. Should this be happening at this time of year? I do not know what it is but noticed some spots on the leaves. Can’t see any insects.
    I have this tree/bush in my garden and the leaves are falling off. Should this be happening at this time of year? I do not know what it is but noticed some spots on the leaves. Can’t see any insects.
    I have this tree/bush in my garden and the leaves are falling off. Should this be happening at this time of year? I do not know what it is but noticed some spots on the leaves. Can’t see any...
    689DC310-D481-49E3-9CA8-9CDDF97D2E75.jpeg FE14B678-CFDE-4B67-9341-F24ADB2356EC.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Markymark

Silver birch -can it go here?

You’ve put me off ha ha. I’ll take it to school and plant it there lol. I did that with another one I had about ten years ago... and now it looks great in the school grounds. Thanks :-))))
    You’ve put me off ha ha. I’ll take it to school and plant it there lol. I did that with another one I had about ten years ago... and now it looks great in the school grounds. Thanks :-))))
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Markymark

Cherry tree?

Last year I had a new shed and had to sacrifice a small tree that I’d had for about 12 years. It was a grafted tree... bottom was cherry of some kind but we never managed to find out exactly what...
    Last year I had a new shed and had to sacrifice a small tree that I’d had for about 12 years. It was a grafted tree... bottom was cherry of some kind but we never managed to find out exactly what the top was (even on this amazing forum!) in one year, it has sprouted new growth from the original...
    Last year I had a new shed and had to sacrifice a small tree that I’d had for about 12 years. It was a grafted tree... bottom was cherry of some kind but we never managed to find out exactly what the top was (even on this amazing forum!) in one...
    Last year I had a new shed and had to sacrifice a small tree that I’d had for about 12 years. It was a grafted tree... bottom was cherry of some kind but we never managed to find out exactly what...
    1722783A-0F7F-4BED-86F5-6501D3D3D22A.jpeg 51969752-977F-468C-9C70-01C1055829A5.jpeg 4BC4A7E2-BBD5-43CD-B1CD-116D1E951237.jpeg 1424A3BE-EECB-4FE0-BBA8-FC5B7E767144.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Heffalump

Poplars and firs.

It's unlawful to destroy nesting birds during any season, not just the spring. Generally speaking nesting season runs from Feb - Aug and is at its height between 1st March - 31st July. Conifers...
    It's unlawful to destroy nesting birds during any season, not just the spring. Generally speaking nesting season runs from Feb - Aug and is at its height between 1st March - 31st July. Conifers are often home to nesting birds for a long time, so you will need to keep an eye on any bird...
    It's unlawful to destroy nesting birds during any season, not just the spring. Generally speaking nesting season runs from Feb - Aug and is at its height between 1st March - 31st July. Conifers are often home to nesting birds for a long time, so...
    It's unlawful to destroy nesting birds during any season, not just the spring. Generally speaking nesting season runs from Feb - Aug and is at its height between 1st March - 31st July. Conifers...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Eva Green

E. Gunnii pruning?

Never managed ball shape on mine, I dont have a clear picture but this is the top half above a 6ft fence. I cut most of this growth off each year, its gone past the juvenile stage regarding...
    Never managed ball shape on mine, I dont have a clear picture but this is the top half above a 6ft fence. I cut most of this growth off each year, its gone past the juvenile stage regarding foliage and I only ever get adult leaves, but I do like the red stems and the way the leaves shine and...
    Never managed ball shape on mine, I dont have a clear picture but this is the top half above a 6ft fence. I cut most of this growth off each year, its gone past the juvenile stage regarding foliage and I only ever get adult leaves, but I do like...
    Never managed ball shape on mine, I dont have a clear picture but this is the top half above a 6ft fence. I cut most of this growth off each year, its gone past the juvenile stage regarding...
    68F95B3A-B4B7-4FB7-B29C-F846B8CF8DD0.jpeg 08B13D08-EE3D-4B1E-B11F-78A50FBA64D8.jpeg DSC_0471.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Kevin Cowans

Pruning of young Trees (Malus and Rowan)

Hi Kevin,If you want easily manageable trees I would suggest nipping that top leader off the malus. This should encourage the tree to concentrate growth in the lower, more accessible branches...
    Hi Kevin,If you want easily manageable trees I would suggest nipping that top leader off the malus. This should encourage the tree to concentrate growth in the lower, more accessible branches which can then be maintained more easily in the future.May I suggest the book 'The Pruning...
    Hi Kevin,If you want easily manageable trees I would suggest nipping that top leader off the malus. This should encourage the tree to concentrate growth in the lower, more accessible branches which can then be maintained more easily in the...
    Hi Kevin,If you want easily manageable trees I would suggest nipping that top leader off the malus. This should encourage the tree to concentrate growth in the lower, more accessible branches...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Carllennon

Removed Ivy from tree

Hi CarllennonDo you mind me asking why you thought you did it wrong? I posted a thread about ivy in trees a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it now sadly. As others have said, removing...
    Hi CarllennonDo you mind me asking why you thought you did it wrong? I posted a thread about ivy in trees a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it now sadly. As others have said, removing ivy from trees can either be done by pulling it all out or by severing the base of it and letting it...
    Hi CarllennonDo you mind me asking why you thought you did it wrong? I posted a thread about ivy in trees a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it now sadly. As others have said, removing ivy from trees can either be done by pulling it all...
    Hi CarllennonDo you mind me asking why you thought you did it wrong? I posted a thread about ivy in trees a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it now sadly. As others have said, removing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Richard86

Apple tree in the shade

Good afternoon @Richard86 I am by no means an expert but I do know that apples do tolerate shade providing they receive half a day’s sunshine in the growing season. Culinary varieties need less...
    Good afternoon @Richard86 I am by no means an expert but I do know that apples do tolerate shade providing they receive half a day’s sunshine in the growing season. Culinary varieties need less sunshine than dessert varieties.Hope this helps
    Good afternoon @Richard86 I am by no means an expert but I do know that apples do tolerate shade providing they receive half a day’s sunshine in the growing season. Culinary varieties need less sunshine than dessert varieties.Hope this helps
    Good afternoon @Richard86 I am by no means an expert but I do know that apples do tolerate shade providing they receive half a day’s sunshine in the growing season. Culinary varieties need less...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. 8260275R

Tree vs House

Hi all,Thank you for the concise answers, been looking for this information for about 2 hours on the web ! The images are pre hacking with cutters and yes they were put there with privacy in...
    Hi all,Thank you for the concise answers, been looking for this information for about 2 hours on the web ! The images are pre hacking with cutters and yes they were put there with privacy in mind though why when the previous owners paid a small fortune to install french blinds is beyond me....
    Hi all,Thank you for the concise answers, been looking for this information for about 2 hours on the web ! The images are pre hacking with cutters and yes they were put there with privacy in mind though why when the previous owners paid a small...
    Hi all,Thank you for the concise answers, been looking for this information for about 2 hours on the web ! The images are pre hacking with cutters and yes they were put there with privacy in...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Lee Shilling.

Pear tree. Dying?

Lee. Thanks for the photos. Please bare with me. Branches covered in lichen. Now then. Lichen often forms on live, thriving stems, branches etc. It also in a way, substitutes for fungi, and...
    Lee. Thanks for the photos. Please bare with me. Branches covered in lichen. Now then. Lichen often forms on live, thriving stems, branches etc. It also in a way, substitutes for fungi, and develops on dying hosts.Your photos tend to show. So much of the upper structure to be covered in...
    Lee. Thanks for the photos. Please bare with me. Branches covered in lichen. Now then. Lichen often forms on live, thriving stems, branches etc. It also in a way, substitutes for fungi, and develops on dying hosts.Your photos tend to show....
    Lee. Thanks for the photos. Please bare with me. Branches covered in lichen. Now then. Lichen often forms on live, thriving stems, branches etc. It also in a way, substitutes for fungi, and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Samantha B

Overgrown Apple Tree

Don't worry. It's a well-established mature tree, so you really can't hurt it by chopping off as much as you want.Do be aware that you're not going to get any apples this year and not many next...
    Don't worry. It's a well-established mature tree, so you really can't hurt it by chopping off as much as you want.Do be aware that you're not going to get any apples this year and not many next year. The buds for this year's apples are already on the tree, and cutting back to the trunk will...
    Don't worry. It's a well-established mature tree, so you really can't hurt it by chopping off as much as you want.Do be aware that you're not going to get any apples this year and not many next year. The buds for this year's apples are already...
    Don't worry. It's a well-established mature tree, so you really can't hurt it by chopping off as much as you want.Do be aware that you're not going to get any apples this year and not many next...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Clare G
    Like x 5

Nice BBC story about caring for Turner's Oak in Kew Gardens

Tony recently was awarded the VMH by the RHS, also he got the MBE from HM.That storm was really something. I think it was an eye opener for many, seeing how little root kept the trees standing....
    Tony recently was awarded the VMH by the RHS, also he got the MBE from HM.That storm was really something. I think it was an eye opener for many, seeing how little root kept the trees standing. I consider trees and horses to be the most majestic of the plant kingdom and the animal kingdom.
    Tony recently was awarded the VMH by the RHS, also he got the MBE from HM.That storm was really something. I think it was an eye opener for many, seeing how little root kept the trees standing. I consider trees and horses to be the most...
    Tony recently was awarded the VMH by the RHS, also he got the MBE from HM.That storm was really something. I think it was an eye opener for many, seeing how little root kept the trees standing....
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Floyd

Cherry blossom - builder have wrecked it - advice please

thank you all.Like most, I really try to avoid chopping trees but I think I might remove this one given the circumstances. I just wanted to check (with those that know) that it wasn't some kind...
    thank you all.Like most, I really try to avoid chopping trees but I think I might remove this one given the circumstances. I just wanted to check (with those that know) that it wasn't some kind of 'rare' or ancient tree... it doesn't produce fruit either...
    thank you all.Like most, I really try to avoid chopping trees but I think I might remove this one given the circumstances. I just wanted to check (with those that know) that it wasn't some kind of 'rare' or ancient tree... it doesn't produce...
    thank you all.Like most, I really try to avoid chopping trees but I think I might remove this one given the circumstances. I just wanted to check (with those that know) that it wasn't some kind...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Upsydaisy

Can anyone advise please.

My previous post was something of a quickie.I have some recollections of a type of scale insect that can attack beech trees. Then also a fairly common attack, if it can be called that of...
    My previous post was something of a quickie.I have some recollections of a type of scale insect that can attack beech trees. Then also a fairly common attack, if it can be called that of lichen. Usually we picture a growth-like invader of forest trees. Lichen being among the simpler forms...
    My previous post was something of a quickie.I have some recollections of a type of scale insect that can attack beech trees. Then also a fairly common attack, if it can be called that of lichen. Usually we picture a growth-like invader of...
    My previous post was something of a quickie.I have some recollections of a type of scale insect that can attack beech trees. Then also a fairly common attack, if it can be called that of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Tmuk

Badly pruned apple tree

No call for apologies etc. We comment upon what we have experienced. Best wishes.
    No call for apologies etc. We comment upon what we have experienced. Best wishes.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Oldcodger

Did I just dodge a cowboy's bullet?

1. Another good reason to use my decorating tower to support the branch while cutting it. See my 2nd reply before this reply.2. Yeah, I was a bit worried this year as my willow didn't stop...
    1. Another good reason to use my decorating tower to support the branch while cutting it. See my 2nd reply before this reply.2. Yeah, I was a bit worried this year as my willow didn't stop shedding twigs until July, and I was filling my green bin every 2 weeks, so much so that I was...
    1. Another good reason to use my decorating tower to support the branch while cutting it. See my 2nd reply before this reply.2. Yeah, I was a bit worried this year as my willow didn't stop shedding twigs until July, and I was filling my...
    1. Another good reason to use my decorating tower to support the branch while cutting it. See my 2nd reply before this reply.2. Yeah, I was a bit worried this year as my willow didn't stop...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice