1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please note - to keep GC running smoothly, from time to time the staff will have to close a long thread and continue it in a new thread. You too can do your bit to help - if you have a long running PM conversation, please terminate the conversation and start a new conversation. For further information, please contact a member of the staff team.
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Harmony Arb
    Like x 3

The Importance Of Proper Pruning Of Trees

Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Great article ... only two things to add - always think safety before pruning anything. And always take you time. I see so many branches being hacked off with impatience so leave long term damage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Harmony Arb
    Like x 6

Tree Health Diagnosis - A self help guide

Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!! The trees have been planted in the garden since...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1 eucalyptus. 1 blossom tree and 1 something else!!...
    Hi all,Please please help!! My husband and I have recently bought a brand new house - the garden was a complete blank canvas and the first addition we made to it were 6 trees. 3 red robins, 1...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Harmony Arb

The Importance of Tree Roots

When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the hose on all night, which had a adverse affect to...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had been well and truly soaked. This meant having the...
    When we took delivery of our Oak tree seven years ago, We used a drizzle hose to keep the roots wet and gradually moved the area around the base further out till we knew that the root system had...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Harmony Arb

The Importance Of Tree Ecosystems

:wink::hehe: They are right I am afraid Harmony... :hehe:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Zigs
    Like x 6

Little Tree

Thanks @Tetters . I'll keep an eye on it.G
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. silu

Very badly split Laburnum trunk

Thanks We do have a leaf blower. well needed with the number of huge trees we have:yikes:and we do have a very very long extension cable so not such a silly idea:). It's been dry but baltic here for the...
    Thanks We do have a leaf blower. well needed with the number of huge trees we have:yikes:and we do have a very very long extension cable so not such a silly idea:). It's been dry but baltic here for the last couple of weeks so stuff is pretty dry. I am hoping my friend is going to come armed with the...
    Thanks We do have a leaf blower. well needed with the number of huge trees we have:yikes:and we do have a very very long extension cable so not such a silly idea:). It's been dry but baltic here for the last couple of weeks so stuff is pretty dry. I am...
    Thanks We do have a leaf blower. well needed with the number of huge trees we have:yikes:and we do have a very very long extension cable so not such a silly idea:). It's been dry but baltic here for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Jack Sparrow

Collecting leaves from public places

Today I got 2 more bags of leaves from a client of mine. They were destined for the tip so I offered my services. There are more bags if I want them. The main problem is where to store them....
    Today I got 2 more bags of leaves from a client of mine. They were destined for the tip so I offered my services. There are more bags if I want them. The main problem is where to store them.The idea is to turn the greenhouse 90' and use the space behind for storing compost bins etc....
    Today I got 2 more bags of leaves from a client of mine. They were destined for the tip so I offered my services. There are more bags if I want them. The main problem is where to store them.The idea is to turn the greenhouse 90' and use...
    Today I got 2 more bags of leaves from a client of mine. They were destined for the tip so I offered my services. There are more bags if I want them. The main problem is where to store them....
    20171122_112516.jpg DSCI0164.JPG P1290599.JPG P1290597.JPG 20171124_121641.jpg gimme.gif
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Mike77

Moving Trees

I do this too with much the same result from the helper.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Redwing

Old Olive Trees in Pots

Today I picked about 120 small olives from my two young trees, enough to fill a jam jar. I’m going to process them and hopefully they’ll be ready to eat by around Christmas.
    Today I picked about 120 small olives from my two young trees, enough to fill a jam jar. I’m going to process them and hopefully they’ll be ready to eat by around Christmas.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. redstar
    Like x 8

Man films a tree for a year.

Järvzoo is further away from Stockholm than that. Around 400km or say 4-5 hours driving. The one I mentioned is about a 1,5 hours drive from Copenhagen airport.
    Järvzoo is further away from Stockholm than that. Around 400km or say 4-5 hours driving. The one I mentioned is about a 1,5 hours drive from Copenhagen airport.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Smudgedhorizon

Disease on acer - please help!

@Smudgedhorizon, I'm really pleased your acer is developing normally. It looks nice and strong. You must be so relieved.Can I ask a bit about how you got yours to this stage? I would love an...
    @Smudgedhorizon, I'm really pleased your acer is developing normally. It looks nice and strong. You must be so relieved.Can I ask a bit about how you got yours to this stage? I would love an acer but have killed two, one in a pot and the other directly in the ground. I would like one potted,...
    @Smudgedhorizon, I'm really pleased your acer is developing normally. It looks nice and strong. You must be so relieved.Can I ask a bit about how you got yours to this stage? I would love an acer but have killed two, one in a pot and the other...
    @Smudgedhorizon, I'm really pleased your acer is developing normally. It looks nice and strong. You must be so relieved.Can I ask a bit about how you got yours to this stage? I would love an...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Zigs
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. nikirushka

Is this a birch?

Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking...
    Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking rather than height as such so I want about a 7-8ft height on it.
    Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking rather than height as such so I want about a 7-8ft...
    Next question: how best to coppice it/keep it small? I let the last one grow tall and lost it. I don't want to lose this one and, it's planted next to a fence so I'm aiming for view-blocking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Jack Sparrow

Tree for small garden

I liked all of the three suggested by James Wong in the Guardian the other week. An amelanchier, a magnolia and a particularly spectacular liquidambar:...
    I liked all of the three suggested by James Wong in the Guardian the other week. An amelanchier, a magnolia and a particularly spectacular liquidambar: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/01/the-three-best-trees-for-tiny-spaces
    I liked all of the three suggested by James Wong in the Guardian the other week. An amelanchier, a magnolia and a particularly spectacular liquidambar: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/oct/01/the-three-best-trees-for-tiny-spaces
    I liked all of the three suggested by James Wong in the Guardian the other week. An amelanchier, a magnolia and a particularly spectacular liquidambar:...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. karaman

How to treat mulberry tree?

Hi karaman, pete - that explains why we only grow the black one! I saw something on TV recently about Tiptree jams, who still grow black mulberries. They claimed that the messy problem of picking...
    Hi karaman, pete - that explains why we only grow the black one! I saw something on TV recently about Tiptree jams, who still grow black mulberries. They claimed that the messy problem of picking the fruit gave rise to the expression 'caught red-handed'. At least the white one will not cause...
    Hi karaman, pete - that explains why we only grow the black one! I saw something on TV recently about Tiptree jams, who still grow black mulberries. They claimed that the messy problem of picking the fruit gave rise to the expression 'caught...
    Hi karaman, pete - that explains why we only grow the black one! I saw something on TV recently about Tiptree jams, who still grow black mulberries. They claimed that the messy problem of picking...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. karaman

why is my gingko not growing?

Thanks, willco. karaman
    Thanks, willco. karaman
    Thanks, willco. karaman
    Thanks, willco. karaman
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Andre Murphy

Trees for a small garden

I have a problem on my south facing garden with shade from neighbours trees. So I am thinking of making a woodland garden. Can anyone suggest small trees I can use to gain structure and balanced...
    I have a problem on my south facing garden with shade from neighbours trees. So I am thinking of making a woodland garden. Can anyone suggest small trees I can use to gain structure and balanced shade. At the moment only the east provides direct sunlight.
    I have a problem on my south facing garden with shade from neighbours trees. So I am thinking of making a woodland garden. Can anyone suggest small trees I can use to gain structure and balanced shade. At the moment only the east provides...
    I have a problem on my south facing garden with shade from neighbours trees. So I am thinking of making a woodland garden. Can anyone suggest small trees I can use to gain structure and balanced...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. BobbysMum

Gardener has damaged trees with a strimmer

Can't remember the last time I saw a gardener or company use a weed wipe so that there is very little contamination from a herbicide.
    Can't remember the last time I saw a gardener or company use a weed wipe so that there is very little contamination from a herbicide.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. jon nash

tree leaves

well asked shrimp keepers yes you can freeze the leaves but if not used quick they get freezer burn and spoil :)
    well asked shrimp keepers yes you can freeze the leaves but if not used quick they get freezer burn and spoil :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. cedarwood

Planting Thuja Occidentalis Smaragd - in pots or in ground near house?

Cedarwood, post a picture. Doesnt have to be Standishii; I have some different varieties, all good. Makes sense just to get another of what you have and, yes, you can shape however you want. (I...
    Cedarwood, post a picture. Doesnt have to be Standishii; I have some different varieties, all good. Makes sense just to get another of what you have and, yes, you can shape however you want. (I have a dark yew standing over 6' and I intend to "humanise" him for some fun!) Yew is very...
    Cedarwood, post a picture. Doesnt have to be Standishii; I have some different varieties, all good. Makes sense just to get another of what you have and, yes, you can shape however you want. (I have a dark yew standing over 6' and I intend to...
    Cedarwood, post a picture. Doesnt have to be Standishii; I have some different varieties, all good. Makes sense just to get another of what you have and, yes, you can shape however you want. (I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Gooseh

Cut top off cypress goldcrest?

I cut mine a few weeks ago I'm wanting to shape them in the future, I'm guessing yours are big mine are only little, I don't want them above the fence, I might make a ball on top of them in the...
    I cut mine a few weeks ago I'm wanting to shape them in the future, I'm guessing yours are big mine are only little, I don't want them above the fence, I might make a ball on top of them in the coming years.
    I cut mine a few weeks ago I'm wanting to shape them in the future, I'm guessing yours are big mine are only little, I don't want them above the fence, I might make a ball on top of them in the coming years.
    I cut mine a few weeks ago I'm wanting to shape them in the future, I'm guessing yours are big mine are only little, I don't want them above the fence, I might make a ball on top of them in the...
    IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0125.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. JDQuinn
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. zilly

Pruning Spindle Tree

Yes you are right, I have been looking at its shape and it isn't too bad more too tall than anything.
    Yes you are right, I have been looking at its shape and it isn't too bad more too tall than anything.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. wiseowl

What are these trees ?

Good afternoon Owls are a protected species:heehee:
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options