1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ECOSYSTEMS..

Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to increase and more benefits of trees are being...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter, medicine, and tools. Today, their value continues to...
    Importance and Value of TreesSince the beginning, trees have furnished us with two of life’s essentials, food and oxygen. As we evolved, they provided additional necessities such as shelter,...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky
    Like x 3

THE IMPORTANCE OF PROPER PRUNING OF TREES..

The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as little as required in order to grow and produce...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising organisms that will try to conserve energy and expend as...
    The Importance Of The Proper Pruning Of Trees' by Harmony ArboricultureHow and why pruning should be carried out correctlyA tree will self-prune (shed limbs) Trees are self-optimising...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

THE IMPORTANCE OF TREE ROOTS..

The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant to the vitality and health of the tree. Also,...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are sometimes ignored and thought of as being unimportant...
    The Importance Of Tree RootsWhy care should be taken below ground as well as above.Tree roots are often overlooked and misunderstood. Because their nature is to remain underground they are...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Marley Farley
    Locked Sticky

TREE HEALTH DIAGNOSIS - A SELF HELP GUIDE..

Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as much detail as possible to help in diagnosing any...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist of things to go through to provide readers with as...
    Unfortunately trees can be hard things to understand and simply saying, "the leaves are brown and falling off" could relate to a whole host of problems. So I thought what may help is a checklist...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6.   » Normal Threads
  7. Danny Hughes

Lemon Tree Problem

Do be a bit wary of standing a citrus tree in or on anything that impedes good drainage. The quickest way to kill off citrus is to leave the pot in standing water :) If it's possible to put the...
    Do be a bit wary of standing a citrus tree in or on anything that impedes good drainage. The quickest way to kill off citrus is to leave the pot in standing water :) If it's possible to put the tree outside somewhere sheltered, cooler temperatures and natural humidity will help to control pests too.
    Do be a bit wary of standing a citrus tree in or on anything that impedes good drainage. The quickest way to kill off citrus is to leave the pot in standing water :) If it's possible to put the tree outside somewhere sheltered, cooler temperatures...
    Do be a bit wary of standing a citrus tree in or on anything that impedes good drainage. The quickest way to kill off citrus is to leave the pot in standing water :) If it's possible to put the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Madra

A tree was damaged by wind and I'm wondering if it's a lost cause

In addition to the advice already given, what kind of tree is it, and when you say 'small' what do you mean? Approx size in feet/metres will help :)It's hard to give truly appropriate advice...
    In addition to the advice already given, what kind of tree is it, and when you say 'small' what do you mean? Approx size in feet/metres will help :)It's hard to give truly appropriate advice without seeing it properly - ie a photo. It may well be fine if it's staked/supported as @flounder suggests.
    In addition to the advice already given, what kind of tree is it, and when you say 'small' what do you mean? Approx size in feet/metres will help :)It's hard to give truly appropriate advice without seeing it properly - ie a photo. It may well be...
    In addition to the advice already given, what kind of tree is it, and when you say 'small' what do you mean? Approx size in feet/metres will help :)It's hard to give truly appropriate advice...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Adam I
    Like x 4

Not the first time ive seen this!

There is an old stump, 10ft high, of cedar of Lebanon in my local cemetery that has a Lawsons cypress growing out of it.
    There is an old stump, 10ft high, of cedar of Lebanon in my local cemetery that has a Lawsons cypress growing out of it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. M4rtin

Advice on Pear tree please

Well it does seem like it could be nitrogen fixing nodules if they were falling apart, but wouldn't like to say for certain.
    Well it does seem like it could be nitrogen fixing nodules if they were falling apart, but wouldn't like to say for certain.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Rachel Knowles

Burlap on rootballs

Welcome advice. Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Bear1

Pruning young apple tree

Hi,Lots of online guides for pruning young appples tree better than we could describe -eg -Apple and pears: pruning newly planted trees / RHS GardeningAlso check if you need to stake the...
    Hi,Lots of online guides for pruning young appples tree better than we could describe -eg -Apple and pears: pruning newly planted trees / RHS GardeningAlso check if you need to stake the tree as some young cordons we tried split their trunk in summer due to the weight of fruit during a...
    Hi,Lots of online guides for pruning young appples tree better than we could describe -eg -Apple and pears: pruning newly planted trees / RHS GardeningAlso check if you need to stake the tree as some young cordons we tried split their...
    Hi,Lots of online guides for pruning young appples tree better than we could describe -eg -Apple and pears: pruning newly planted trees / RHS GardeningAlso check if you need to stake the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Danny Hughes

Lemon Tree Questions

That is good news! It's much easier to tackle them before an infestation takes hold, which it can easily do in the warm :). Bonnes fêtes!
    That is good news! It's much easier to tackle them before an infestation takes hold, which it can easily do in the warm :). Bonnes fêtes!
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Fat Controller

On the scent...

Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That isn't a house plant. It's a tree". Maybe I was a bit brusque, because her hackles went up and was...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That isn't a house plant. It's a tree". Maybe I was a...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That...
    Choisya 'Sundance' (2).JPG 136.JPG Eucalyptus gunnii (Tasmanian Cider Gum)  01 - small.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Drahcir

Where have all the acorns gone, two weeks ago?

Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the other birds like Magpies; robins; tits and sparrows etc; Pigeons I treat as enemies because of the...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the other birds like Magpies; robins; tits and...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. TheMadHedger

Common Beech - where to buy some saplings?

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. dogsbody

Sweet Chestnut

If you plant some in a container with a lid, such as a biscuit tin, containing damp compost and leafmould, placing the chestnuts just upon the surface, you can watch (check weekly!) for the...
    If you plant some in a container with a lid, such as a biscuit tin, containing damp compost and leafmould, placing the chestnuts just upon the surface, you can watch (check weekly!) for the emerging 'radicle' appear from the split case. Plant deeper in litre sized pots, grown on and coppice...
    If you plant some in a container with a lid, such as a biscuit tin, containing damp compost and leafmould, placing the chestnuts just upon the surface, you can watch (check weekly!) for the emerging 'radicle' appear from the split case. Plant...
    If you plant some in a container with a lid, such as a biscuit tin, containing damp compost and leafmould, placing the chestnuts just upon the surface, you can watch (check weekly!) for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. dogsbody

Crab Apples

Thanks for all your replies. I've taken a chance and sown a couple of dozen seeds in cells. We'll see how they get on. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks for all your replies. I've taken a chance and sown a couple of dozen seeds in cells. We'll see how they get on. Fingers crossed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Bear1

Sessile oak acorns

I'd leave them outside they often make a root now but under normal conditions they don't grow a shoot until spring.
    I'd leave them outside they often make a root now but under normal conditions they don't grow a shoot until spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Jowo

Acer advice please

Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot ...
    Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot at first .it was growing well but after a few months it started to go black.it suppose to be...
    Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot at first .it was growing well but after a few...
    Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot ...
    20231015_151721.jpg 20231015_151728.jpg 20231015_151735.jpg IMG_20230613_112921042_edit_1686652213934.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. MAJ

Pear tree disease

I'll go back and check, but I think it's best to get rid anyway. My client has packed too many things in while I wasn't looking and I'd be quite happy to get rid. Thank you.
    I'll go back and check, but I think it's best to get rid anyway. My client has packed too many things in while I wasn't looking and I'd be quite happy to get rid. Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Drahcir

What happened to this?

Could the birds be attracted to worms boring into the tree. My neighbours have a half dead tree and occasionally I see wood peckers drilling into it to get at the insects in the dead wood.
    Could the birds be attracted to worms boring into the tree. My neighbours have a half dead tree and occasionally I see wood peckers drilling into it to get at the insects in the dead wood.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Wannabe

Cooper beech help

If these were mine, I would pot them on to the next size, disturbing the rootball as little as possible; do them dry . Pack tightly and then immerse overnight in a bath/bucket. Place in a shady...
    If these were mine, I would pot them on to the next size, disturbing the rootball as little as possible; do them dry . Pack tightly and then immerse overnight in a bath/bucket. Place in a shady spot until ground prepared to properly plant them out. I think the dried is likely to re leaf into...
    If these were mine, I would pot them on to the next size, disturbing the rootball as little as possible; do them dry . Pack tightly and then immerse overnight in a bath/bucket. Place in a shady spot until ground prepared to properly plant them...
    If these were mine, I would pot them on to the next size, disturbing the rootball as little as possible; do them dry . Pack tightly and then immerse overnight in a bath/bucket. Place in a shady...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. NoviceGardener2023

How to remove a newly planted tree

Thank you all above for your additional detailed responses, again very helpful and gives me a bit more confidence in doing it properly.@Clueless 1 v2 In relation to the backfilling the hole...
    Thank you all above for your additional detailed responses, again very helpful and gives me a bit more confidence in doing it properly.@Clueless 1 v2 In relation to the backfilling the hole option, do I backfill with some topsoil (I presume topsoil from any sort of shop will do for the sake...
    Thank you all above for your additional detailed responses, again very helpful and gives me a bit more confidence in doing it properly.@Clueless 1 v2 In relation to the backfilling the hole option, do I backfill with some topsoil (I presume...
    Thank you all above for your additional detailed responses, again very helpful and gives me a bit more confidence in doing it properly.@Clueless 1 v2 In relation to the backfilling the hole...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Danny Hughes

Question on Fig Trees

I've never heard of Fig Newtons and had to google it, looks a bit like a fig roll.
    I've never heard of Fig Newtons and had to google it, looks a bit like a fig roll.
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. Will Hay

Advice needed with my Leylandii hedging

They look good Will. :thumbsup: It looks as if you've almost filled the bed now.
    They look good Will. :thumbsup: It looks as if you've almost filled the bed now.
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice