Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. SacredLion

Concerned, new shoots on my apple tree

I assume they are small trees, as you have just planted them. If there is a forecast of frost, wrap them in horticultural fleece, this will afford some protection. This is what I would do. Good...
    I assume they are small trees, as you have just planted them. If there is a forecast of frost, wrap them in horticultural fleece, this will afford some protection. This is what I would do. Good luck, Fonzie.
    I assume they are small trees, as you have just planted them. If there is a forecast of frost, wrap them in horticultural fleece, this will afford some protection. This is what I would do. Good luck, Fonzie.
    I assume they are small trees, as you have just planted them. If there is a forecast of frost, wrap them in horticultural fleece, this will afford some protection. This is what I would do. Good...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. gardengnom

Melia trees

I don't think they solve anything, LoL, but it's good to see them, showing so clearly what the ones I found on-line didn't - that the branches are quite definitely alternate, not opposite. So...
    I don't think they solve anything, LoL, but it's good to see them, showing so clearly what the ones I found on-line didn't - that the branches are quite definitely alternate, not opposite. So we're still in the same position, that a rowan is the more likely, and probably the Joseph Rock...
    I don't think they solve anything, LoL, but it's good to see them, showing so clearly what the ones I found on-line didn't - that the branches are quite definitely alternate, not opposite. So we're still in the same position, that a rowan is the...
    I don't think they solve anything, LoL, but it's good to see them, showing so clearly what the ones I found on-line didn't - that the branches are quite definitely alternate, not opposite. So...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. phatus

growing mulberry tree indoors?

Yes - Pete is correct. White mulberry is from China and is the one for silkworms. It can grow outdoors in warmer places in Britain and was often grown in city and town gardens for the silk...
    Yes - Pete is correct. White mulberry is from China and is the one for silkworms. It can grow outdoors in warmer places in Britain and was often grown in city and town gardens for the silk weavers. Black mulberry is the hardier tree and the much more common one now found in Britain. Better...
    Yes - Pete is correct. White mulberry is from China and is the one for silkworms. It can grow outdoors in warmer places in Britain and was often grown in city and town gardens for the silk weavers. Black mulberry is the hardier tree and the...
    Yes - Pete is correct. White mulberry is from China and is the one for silkworms. It can grow outdoors in warmer places in Britain and was often grown in city and town gardens for the silk...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Seana

Sentimental apple tree in urgent need of something!

Thank you all so much for your advice. The tree really isn't very big. I think our big misake was about 15 years ago we moved it when she moved into Sheltered accomodation. It's never really...
    Thank you all so much for your advice. The tree really isn't very big. I think our big misake was about 15 years ago we moved it when she moved into Sheltered accomodation. It's never really been the same since. There's no top on it as such as we were advised to cut it down and start again,...
    Thank you all so much for your advice. The tree really isn't very big. I think our big misake was about 15 years ago we moved it when she moved into Sheltered accomodation. It's never really been the same since. There's no top on it as such as...
    Thank you all so much for your advice. The tree really isn't very big. I think our big misake was about 15 years ago we moved it when she moved into Sheltered accomodation. It's never really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. wkdwhite

Silver birch

People regularly mention good deals they've got, so I wouldn't worry too much, Stephen! Not sure I want a silver birch, though, they get big rather quickly, and I have a couple of tiny ones that...
    People regularly mention good deals they've got, so I wouldn't worry too much, Stephen! Not sure I want a silver birch, though, they get big rather quickly, and I have a couple of tiny ones that were volunteers in one of the gardens I do..... They'll be moved on as and when they get a bit...
    People regularly mention good deals they've got, so I wouldn't worry too much, Stephen! Not sure I want a silver birch, though, they get big rather quickly, and I have a couple of tiny ones that were volunteers in one of the gardens I do..... ...
    People regularly mention good deals they've got, so I wouldn't worry too much, Stephen! Not sure I want a silver birch, though, they get big rather quickly, and I have a couple of tiny ones that...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. carlaj

Why has my maple not changed colour?

Now David, THAT is a proposition I have never heard suggested before. I would be interested to hear the source of your knowledge in this direction Vertrees in his famous book on the subject...
    Now David, THAT is a proposition I have never heard suggested before. I would be interested to hear the source of your knowledge in this direction Vertrees in his famous book on the subject suggests "Fall colours .. can be suppressed or enhanced somewhat by conditions. Hardening for fall will...
    Now David, THAT is a proposition I have never heard suggested before. I would be interested to hear the source of your knowledge in this direction Vertrees in his famous book on the subject suggests "Fall colours .. can be suppressed or...
    Now David, THAT is a proposition I have never heard suggested before. I would be interested to hear the source of your knowledge in this direction Vertrees in his famous book on the subject...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Scotkat

Apple seeds sown

Look at the link on my previous post. The size of the tree will be largely determined by the rootstock. In such a position you could get two espalier trees that you train along wires on the...
    Look at the link on my previous post. The size of the tree will be largely determined by the rootstock. In such a position you could get two espalier trees that you train along wires on the wall. You could easily fit more than two if you used cordons and plant them at an angle. Espaliers and...
    Look at the link on my previous post. The size of the tree will be largely determined by the rootstock. In such a position you could get two espalier trees that you train along wires on the wall. You could easily fit more than two if you used...
    Look at the link on my previous post. The size of the tree will be largely determined by the rootstock. In such a position you could get two espalier trees that you train along wires on the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. wahaj

Japanese Acers

The second looks to me like p. atropurpureum, and the third, I think, is Brilliantissimum. David.
    The second looks to me like p. atropurpureum, and the third, I think, is Brilliantissimum. David.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. siriusb

Help... what trees will be best...

siriusb - for my two pennyworth, think of what you want to achieve from the site - if its remembrance and you don't know what your friend liked - then think of colour and interest through the...
    siriusb - for my two pennyworth, think of what you want to achieve from the site - if its remembrance and you don't know what your friend liked - then think of colour and interest through the seasons. Spring flowers, summer foliage, autumn colour/fruit, and winter interest.For spring flowers...
    siriusb - for my two pennyworth, think of what you want to achieve from the site - if its remembrance and you don't know what your friend liked - then think of colour and interest through the seasons. Spring flowers, summer foliage, autumn...
    siriusb - for my two pennyworth, think of what you want to achieve from the site - if its remembrance and you don't know what your friend liked - then think of colour and interest through the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. pete

Citrus

Oppps - or should that be ooooops!!!! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. sash

Palm Trees

if they have sharp, strap-like leavs then it is likely that they are either Cordylines or Yuccas. If that is the case all you need to do to protect them from frost is to draw the leaves together...
    if they have sharp, strap-like leavs then it is likely that they are either Cordylines or Yuccas. If that is the case all you need to do to protect them from frost is to draw the leaves together and tie them, this prevents frost from entering the crown and killing it. There is no need to rush...
    if they have sharp, strap-like leavs then it is likely that they are either Cordylines or Yuccas. If that is the case all you need to do to protect them from frost is to draw the leaves together and tie them, this prevents frost from entering...
    if they have sharp, strap-like leavs then it is likely that they are either Cordylines or Yuccas. If that is the case all you need to do to protect them from frost is to draw the leaves together...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. suzisu06

Fig tree

are you going to start one Pete. Put my name down for one please.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Victoria

Trees of the Algarve and Spain

I particually liked the line about bulldozing the trees and then naming the streets after them.
    I particually liked the line about bulldozing the trees and then naming the streets after them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Dillydo

Tree Root

Hi Green Fingers....Not too sure where I will put it yet but I rather fancy shade..if I choose ferns and mosses I think that would be the best place.
    Hi Green Fingers....Not too sure where I will put it yet but I rather fancy shade..if I choose ferns and mosses I think that would be the best place.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Juicer

Are they trying to kill off the Christmas Tree?

I don't think kittens and christmas trees mix very well. We once had the problem of trying to remove a small kitten from the top of a tree, without knocking it over. And tom cats are inclined to...
    I don't think kittens and christmas trees mix very well. We once had the problem of trying to remove a small kitten from the top of a tree, without knocking it over. And tom cats are inclined to do what they do to the trees in the garden.
    I don't think kittens and christmas trees mix very well. We once had the problem of trying to remove a small kitten from the top of a tree, without knocking it over. And tom cats are inclined to do what they do to the trees in the garden.
    I don't think kittens and christmas trees mix very well. We once had the problem of trying to remove a small kitten from the top of a tree, without knocking it over. And tom cats are inclined to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Greenlady

Bay Trees

my bay tree is out in all weathers and I take soft wood cuttings in the spring and autum. you dont have to leave cuttings in a greenhouse.
    my bay tree is out in all weathers and I take soft wood cuttings in the spring and autum. you dont have to leave cuttings in a greenhouse.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Gogs

Holly

Also I've found its the cheapest variety in the large plant nurseries, so you can buy big!
    Also I've found its the cheapest variety in the large plant nurseries, so you can buy big!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. vngrh1p5

Help! Really strong winds and unstable tree

Eucalyptus are pretty good at growing very fast on top with the roots being slower to get going, the result is a top heavy tree. I have in the past pruned gum trees hard early on to allow the...
    Eucalyptus are pretty good at growing very fast on top with the roots being slower to get going, the result is a top heavy tree. I have in the past pruned gum trees hard early on to allow the roots to catch up, and if you're in a windy area thats probably even more important. A good stake...
    Eucalyptus are pretty good at growing very fast on top with the roots being slower to get going, the result is a top heavy tree. I have in the past pruned gum trees hard early on to allow the roots to catch up, and if you're in a windy area...
    Eucalyptus are pretty good at growing very fast on top with the roots being slower to get going, the result is a top heavy tree. I have in the past pruned gum trees hard early on to allow the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. susannah

Getting rid of tree stumps/roots

Re tyres for play areas: beware that tyres often (possibly usually) have wire reinforcement which may in time be exposed. It can be very sharp and give a nasty cut. This happened on our playing...
    Re tyres for play areas: beware that tyres often (possibly usually) have wire reinforcement which may in time be exposed. It can be very sharp and give a nasty cut. This happened on our playing field where we had copied others in using tyres set vertically in th eground to act as a cushion under...
    Re tyres for play areas: beware that tyres often (possibly usually) have wire reinforcement which may in time be exposed. It can be very sharp and give a nasty cut. This happened on our playing field where we had copied others in using tyres set...
    Re tyres for play areas: beware that tyres often (possibly usually) have wire reinforcement which may in time be exposed. It can be very sharp and give a nasty cut. This happened on our playing...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Butterfly

TREES

Could one of the MODS move this thread from Computers to Trees please?
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice