1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Fat Controller

On the scent...

Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That isn't a house plant. It's a tree". Maybe I was a bit brusque, because her hackles went up and was...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That isn't a house plant. It's a tree". Maybe I was a...
    Many years ago, when I lived in Torbay, I came home from work, one day, to be presented with a new 'house' plant my wife had bought. It had no label, but my immediate reaction was "Nope. That...
    Choisya 'Sundance' (2).JPG 136.JPG Eucalyptus gunnii (Tasmanian Cider Gum)  01 - small.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Drahcir

Where have all the acorns gone, two weeks ago?

Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the other birds like Magpies; robins; tits and sparrows etc; Pigeons I treat as enemies because of the...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the other birds like Magpies; robins; tits and...
    Hi,I used to wonder where all the blackbirds disappeared to then suddenly weeks later they were here again;The blackbirds turned up again about three days ago and are very welcome as are the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. TheMadHedger

Common Beech - where to buy some saplings?

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. dogsbody

Sweet Chestnut

If you plant some in a container with a lid, such as a biscuit tin, containing damp compost and leafmould, placing the chestnuts just upon the surface, you can watch (check weekly!) for the...
    If you plant some in a container with a lid, such as a biscuit tin, containing damp compost and leafmould, placing the chestnuts just upon the surface, you can watch (check weekly!) for the emerging 'radicle' appear from the split case. Plant deeper in litre sized pots, grown on and coppice...
    If you plant some in a container with a lid, such as a biscuit tin, containing damp compost and leafmould, placing the chestnuts just upon the surface, you can watch (check weekly!) for the emerging 'radicle' appear from the split case. Plant...
    If you plant some in a container with a lid, such as a biscuit tin, containing damp compost and leafmould, placing the chestnuts just upon the surface, you can watch (check weekly!) for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. dogsbody

Crab Apples

Thanks for all your replies. I've taken a chance and sown a couple of dozen seeds in cells. We'll see how they get on. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks for all your replies. I've taken a chance and sown a couple of dozen seeds in cells. We'll see how they get on. Fingers crossed.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Bear1

Sessile oak acorns

I'd leave them outside they often make a root now but under normal conditions they don't grow a shoot until spring.
    I'd leave them outside they often make a root now but under normal conditions they don't grow a shoot until spring.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Jowo

Acer advice please

Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot ...
    Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot at first .it was growing well but after a few months it started to go black.it suppose to be...
    Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot at first .it was growing well but after a few...
    Hi jowo i bought a acer around 3;years ago it was a pot miniature Acer palmatum Golden Bark Japanese Maple Bi Hoo - not like yours but what i did might help you it arrived in a big pot ...
    20231015_151721.jpg 20231015_151728.jpg 20231015_151735.jpg IMG_20230613_112921042_edit_1686652213934.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. MAJ

Pear tree disease

I'll go back and check, but I think it's best to get rid anyway. My client has packed too many things in while I wasn't looking and I'd be quite happy to get rid. Thank you.
    I'll go back and check, but I think it's best to get rid anyway. My client has packed too many things in while I wasn't looking and I'd be quite happy to get rid. Thank you.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Drahcir

What happened to this?

Could the birds be attracted to worms boring into the tree. My neighbours have a half dead tree and occasionally I see wood peckers drilling into it to get at the insects in the dead wood.
    Could the birds be attracted to worms boring into the tree. My neighbours have a half dead tree and occasionally I see wood peckers drilling into it to get at the insects in the dead wood.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Wannabe

Cooper beech help

If these were mine, I would pot them on to the next size, disturbing the rootball as little as possible; do them dry . Pack tightly and then immerse overnight in a bath/bucket. Place in a shady...
    If these were mine, I would pot them on to the next size, disturbing the rootball as little as possible; do them dry . Pack tightly and then immerse overnight in a bath/bucket. Place in a shady spot until ground prepared to properly plant them out. I think the dried is likely to re leaf into...
    If these were mine, I would pot them on to the next size, disturbing the rootball as little as possible; do them dry . Pack tightly and then immerse overnight in a bath/bucket. Place in a shady spot until ground prepared to properly plant them...
    If these were mine, I would pot them on to the next size, disturbing the rootball as little as possible; do them dry . Pack tightly and then immerse overnight in a bath/bucket. Place in a shady...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. NoviceGardener2023

How to remove a newly planted tree

Thank you all above for your additional detailed responses, again very helpful and gives me a bit more confidence in doing it properly.@Clueless 1 v2 In relation to the backfilling the hole...
    Thank you all above for your additional detailed responses, again very helpful and gives me a bit more confidence in doing it properly.@Clueless 1 v2 In relation to the backfilling the hole option, do I backfill with some topsoil (I presume topsoil from any sort of shop will do for the sake...
    Thank you all above for your additional detailed responses, again very helpful and gives me a bit more confidence in doing it properly.@Clueless 1 v2 In relation to the backfilling the hole option, do I backfill with some topsoil (I presume...
    Thank you all above for your additional detailed responses, again very helpful and gives me a bit more confidence in doing it properly.@Clueless 1 v2 In relation to the backfilling the hole...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Danny Hughes

Question on Fig Trees

I've never heard of Fig Newtons and had to google it, looks a bit like a fig roll.
    I've never heard of Fig Newtons and had to google it, looks a bit like a fig roll.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Will Hay

Advice needed with my Leylandii hedging

They look good Will. :thumbsup: It looks as if you've almost filled the bed now.
    They look good Will. :thumbsup: It looks as if you've almost filled the bed now.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. martyn bromley

Advice please

Thank you all for your advice- very helpful .
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Bear1

Apple tree trunk

I don't think it's anything to worry about either, it's growing new bark and looks quite healthy. In the old days gardeners would sometimes remove a strip of bark halfway round the tree if it was...
    I don't think it's anything to worry about either, it's growing new bark and looks quite healthy. In the old days gardeners would sometimes remove a strip of bark halfway round the tree if it was growing too vigorously and that would be much worse than what yours has. This would be in the days...
    I don't think it's anything to worry about either, it's growing new bark and looks quite healthy. In the old days gardeners would sometimes remove a strip of bark halfway round the tree if it was growing too vigorously and that would be much...
    I don't think it's anything to worry about either, it's growing new bark and looks quite healthy. In the old days gardeners would sometimes remove a strip of bark halfway round the tree if it was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Max6389

Jelly substance on branches

I think you’re right, have looked at some pictures and it look the same. Thanks
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Fof

Tree advice, please

Right. This what I started with. Apart from the grass, pretty well everything else was growing in decaying planters or growbags:Starting to change it:Today, with bed for tree indicated: Edit...
    Right. This what I started with. Apart from the grass, pretty well everything else was growing in decaying planters or growbags:Starting to change it:Today, with bed for tree indicated: Edit - Looking SWMixed hedge, 11/2021:05/2022:07/2023:Fof
    Right. This what I started with. Apart from the grass, pretty well everything else was growing in decaying planters or growbags:Starting to change it:Today, with bed for tree indicated: Edit - Looking SWMixed hedge,...
    Right. This what I started with. Apart from the grass, pretty well everything else was growing in decaying planters or growbags:Starting to change it:Today, with bed for tree indicated: Edit...
    CAM00070P1-PR0161-STILL02 - small.jpg Oct 13th  02 - small.jpg P1080626 - small.jpg P1030754 - small.jpg P1080157 - small.jpg Wild flowers  09 - small.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Oldcodger

What determines when the life of a weeping willow tree is over?

Weeping willows are notorious for randomly tearing out limbs. You have a few options:A crown reduction, as your tree surgeon offered. This will reduce the end-loaded weight of the branches and...
    Weeping willows are notorious for randomly tearing out limbs. You have a few options:A crown reduction, as your tree surgeon offered. This will reduce the end-loaded weight of the branches and prevent further tear-out. Pollard - Removal of all branches, just leaving the main scaffold limbs to...
    Weeping willows are notorious for randomly tearing out limbs. You have a few options:A crown reduction, as your tree surgeon offered. This will reduce the end-loaded weight of the branches and prevent further tear-out. Pollard - Removal of all...
    Weeping willows are notorious for randomly tearing out limbs. You have a few options:A crown reduction, as your tree surgeon offered. This will reduce the end-loaded weight of the branches and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Lone Northern Lass

Monster evergreen tree

Two and a half years on . Still work in progress.
    IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1582.JPG IMG_1587.JPG IMG_1583.JPG IMG_1584.JPG 762E6A75-040D-4FDC-B37E-17BF4BFBFF0A.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Fat Controller

Advice please

Superb advice, thank you. I think I am going to have to save some money up and get a pro in to deal with these, as they are a nightmare waiting to happen. It will be a wee while as I don't...
    Superb advice, thank you. I think I am going to have to save some money up and get a pro in to deal with these, as they are a nightmare waiting to happen. It will be a wee while as I don't imagine that sort of work comes cheap.Whilst I am not a stranger to a chainsaw, I also have to accept...
    Superb advice, thank you. I think I am going to have to save some money up and get a pro in to deal with these, as they are a nightmare waiting to happen. It will be a wee while as I don't imagine that sort of work comes cheap.Whilst I am...
    Superb advice, thank you. I think I am going to have to save some money up and get a pro in to deal with these, as they are a nightmare waiting to happen. It will be a wee while as I don't...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice