1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Victoria

Prunus dulcis var amara

Bitter almond liqueur - WikipediaThat was a bit of a non-descript post. I think what I wanted to say is that tonight we were talking about having it cut back drastically, even moreso, this year...
    Bitter almond liqueur - WikipediaThat was a bit of a non-descript post. I think what I wanted to say is that tonight we were talking about having it cut back drastically, even moreso, this year as the leaves have never looked this dead this time of year.
    Bitter almond liqueur - WikipediaThat was a bit of a non-descript post. I think what I wanted to say is that tonight we were talking about having it cut back drastically, even moreso, this year as the leaves have never looked this dead this...
    Bitter almond liqueur - WikipediaThat was a bit of a non-descript post. I think what I wanted to say is that tonight we were talking about having it cut back drastically, even moreso, this year...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. EmFlu

Avocado Tree Falling Over

I pruned my plant just to trim off branches growing into awkward directions or when something looked tatty. In general avocado grows into a nice shape on it's own so doesn't need much shaping. I...
    I pruned my plant just to trim off branches growing into awkward directions or when something looked tatty. In general avocado grows into a nice shape on it's own so doesn't need much shaping. I have heard that sometimes the plant refuses to grow branches unless the top is trimmed but mine have...
    I pruned my plant just to trim off branches growing into awkward directions or when something looked tatty. In general avocado grows into a nice shape on it's own so doesn't need much shaping. I have heard that sometimes the plant refuses to grow...
    I pruned my plant just to trim off branches growing into awkward directions or when something looked tatty. In general avocado grows into a nice shape on it's own so doesn't need much shaping. I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. Gn0me

Downsizing an Elderberry tree

Yup. They're practically indestructible. Have at it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Josh Balmer

Struggling Rowan tree

If the berries are not the usual red, then it might suggest it is/was a cultivar - Joseph Rock. Mine died for no apparent reason and I read somewhere it was prone to fireblight.
    If the berries are not the usual red, then it might suggest it is/was a cultivar - Joseph Rock. Mine died for no apparent reason and I read somewhere it was prone to fireblight.
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Steve Batchelor

Lemons

It's odd the birds haven't found the peaches yet nor the wasps . where 'as the birds , wasps and even squirrels have usually found everything before now it's always annoyed me how they will just...
    It's odd the birds haven't found the peaches yet nor the wasps . where 'as the birds , wasps and even squirrels have usually found everything before now it's always annoyed me how they will just land on one plum while it pecks away at another and as the bird flys off breaks the skin on the ripe...
    It's odd the birds haven't found the peaches yet nor the wasps . where 'as the birds , wasps and even squirrels have usually found everything before now it's always annoyed me how they will just land on one plum while it pecks away at another ...
    It's odd the birds haven't found the peaches yet nor the wasps . where 'as the birds , wasps and even squirrels have usually found everything before now it's always annoyed me how they will just...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Peter Dewhurst

Struggling Bay Tree

A further thought. If you remove the rootball from the pot, have a look for possible vine weevil grubs*. Unfortunately these are (too) often found in nursery stock, from even the best garden...
    A further thought. If you remove the rootball from the pot, have a look for possible vine weevil grubs*. Unfortunately these are (too) often found in nursery stock, from even the best garden centres! * Vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus) identification guide
    A further thought. If you remove the rootball from the pot, have a look for possible vine weevil grubs*. Unfortunately these are (too) often found in nursery stock, from even the best garden centres! * Vine weevil (Otiorhynchus sulcatus)...
    A further thought. If you remove the rootball from the pot, have a look for possible vine weevil grubs*. Unfortunately these are (too) often found in nursery stock, from even the best garden...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Matthew Rosen-Marsh

Plum tree yellowing leaves

It does look like scorch to me.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Aidan mc

sticky bay tree remedy

It's probably aphids on the underside of the leaves creating honeydew and black mould growing on the honeydew. If you don't use the leaves for food purposes a spray with a general insecticide...
    It's probably aphids on the underside of the leaves creating honeydew and black mould growing on the honeydew. If you don't use the leaves for food purposes a spray with a general insecticide will sort out the aphids then give it a good spraying with diluted washing up liquid and before it...
    It's probably aphids on the underside of the leaves creating honeydew and black mould growing on the honeydew. If you don't use the leaves for food purposes a spray with a general insecticide will sort out the aphids then give it a good...
    It's probably aphids on the underside of the leaves creating honeydew and black mould growing on the honeydew. If you don't use the leaves for food purposes a spray with a general insecticide...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Orielwen

Pruning a peach tree in a greenhouse

Hello Orielwen, welcome to GC :) Here's a link to a useful site....there's a section specifically aimed at pruning greenhouse peach trees.....Peaches I'd say you've nothing to lose by pruning all...
    Hello Orielwen, welcome to GC :) Here's a link to a useful site....there's a section specifically aimed at pruning greenhouse peach trees.....Peaches I'd say you've nothing to lose by pruning all the long, whippy stems back to the woody framework, leaving a couple of buds to form fruiting...
    Hello Orielwen, welcome to GC :) Here's a link to a useful site....there's a section specifically aimed at pruning greenhouse peach trees.....Peaches I'd say you've nothing to lose by pruning all the long, whippy stems back to the woody...
    Hello Orielwen, welcome to GC :) Here's a link to a useful site....there's a section specifically aimed at pruning greenhouse peach trees.....Peaches I'd say you've nothing to lose by pruning all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. 03carrd

Tall trees I can plant in 32cm bed?

I have lifted slabs and planted trees/shrubs in the space available.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. James Vellozzi

Can i grow Thuga green giant aborvitae in a small woodlot? Dappled light

Sounds like a great project but as to whether this particular plant will thrive in these conditions is not something I would know. I believe it is a forest tree so stands a chance, but may grow a...
    Sounds like a great project but as to whether this particular plant will thrive in these conditions is not something I would know. I believe it is a forest tree so stands a chance, but may grow a bit thin reaching up for the light.
    Sounds like a great project but as to whether this particular plant will thrive in these conditions is not something I would know. I believe it is a forest tree so stands a chance, but may grow a bit thin reaching up for the light.
    Sounds like a great project but as to whether this particular plant will thrive in these conditions is not something I would know. I believe it is a forest tree so stands a chance, but may grow a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. martin123321

Biggest, tallest, fastest growing evergreen trees

You led me astray. :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Timstan

Help! I think my plum tree is dying

Plums do have off years but have to say yours looks very unhappy. I'd start with a really good watering and checking it over for disease. Have you done any pruning on it in the last year?
    Plums do have off years but have to say yours looks very unhappy. I'd start with a really good watering and checking it over for disease. Have you done any pruning on it in the last year?
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Eric Lai

Is my tree infected again ?

Early next year, before the tree breaks into life, spray it with a solution of 5ml of Neem oil, and 2 ml of washing-up liquid in a litre of water.
    Early next year, before the tree breaks into life, spray it with a solution of 5ml of Neem oil, and 2 ml of washing-up liquid in a litre of water.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Voobwm

Good was to block gaps in base of leylandiis

Vinca major (greater Periwinkle) tends to do very well under Leylandii hedges. They'll need watering watering for the first year or two - unless you get more rain than we do. It's tough as old...
    Vinca major (greater Periwinkle) tends to do very well under Leylandii hedges. They'll need watering watering for the first year or two - unless you get more rain than we do. It's tough as old boots once it has got going.
    Vinca major (greater Periwinkle) tends to do very well under Leylandii hedges. They'll need watering watering for the first year or two - unless you get more rain than we do. It's tough as old boots once it has got going.
    Vinca major (greater Periwinkle) tends to do very well under Leylandii hedges. They'll need watering watering for the first year or two - unless you get more rain than we do. It's tough as old...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Daf

Larvae on Willow?

Hi all. First post so please excuse my ignorance! Just checking what these are on my small willow and if I need to get rid? Diolch-thanks Daf
    Hi all. First post so please excuse my ignorance! Just checking what these are on my small willow and if I need to get rid? Diolch-thanks Daf
    B628671C-F4EA-4527-BF58-8CD3C97BBEB8.jpeg 9B437AF1-3624-46A9-AE5D-0FF615FEA51D.jpeg 656DACF0-9589-4D6B-A742-BCF33485B8D7.jpeg 16371D40-24EF-4D7B-9E7B-4370F8097B0B.jpeg 80590B3C-2AEA-4D1A-A938-3837F59D757A.jpeg 81F6A8E5-6C3C-4364-86F0-594D7CE931D8.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Matthew Rosen-Marsh

Bay tree drying out

They make a lot of noise when burning too!
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. JasonC

acer globosums needing help!

First thing that always comes to mind with pot grown plants is the root ball drying out after planting. If it dries out it can be very difficult to re wet and its not easy to see either once...
    First thing that always comes to mind with pot grown plants is the root ball drying out after planting. If it dries out it can be very difficult to re wet and its not easy to see either once planted. Is it possible that could have happened last year after planting, as you can often soak the...
    First thing that always comes to mind with pot grown plants is the root ball drying out after planting. If it dries out it can be very difficult to re wet and its not easy to see either once planted. Is it possible that could have happened...
    First thing that always comes to mind with pot grown plants is the root ball drying out after planting. If it dries out it can be very difficult to re wet and its not easy to see either once...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Paul4321

Portugese Laurel

Thanks both. New leaves are all to bottom. Top leaves just look like they are struggling along Pete.Will give it a good feed as suggested Infradig and see how she goes.Thanks again. Paul
    Thanks both. New leaves are all to bottom. Top leaves just look like they are struggling along Pete.Will give it a good feed as suggested Infradig and see how she goes.Thanks again. Paul
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Eric Lai

Is it worth to save it?

I reckon just a spray a couple of times if you spot the caterpillars would be enough, just a normal trigger spray that says it kills caterpillars would work.Repot it into something a bit bigger...
    I reckon just a spray a couple of times if you spot the caterpillars would be enough, just a normal trigger spray that says it kills caterpillars would work.Repot it into something a bit bigger and just water through the summer.My box plants had the caterpillars last year and are growing...
    I reckon just a spray a couple of times if you spot the caterpillars would be enough, just a normal trigger spray that says it kills caterpillars would work.Repot it into something a bit bigger and just water through the summer.My box plants...
    I reckon just a spray a couple of times if you spot the caterpillars would be enough, just a normal trigger spray that says it kills caterpillars would work.Repot it into something a bit bigger...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice