1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Trees

All Arboreal Discussion can be found in this area

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. Liz

Dead conifer?

Thanks both :(
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Victoria

Olive Pot Home

Thank you, Hy and walnut. A bit of a relief but still not an answer to my Bruggie. In saying that, it is now covered in budlets and new shoots from the bare stems/trunks? (there stems, here...
    Thank you, Hy and walnut. A bit of a relief but still not an answer to my Bruggie. In saying that, it is now covered in budlets and new shoots from the bare stems/trunks? (there stems, here trunks?) and one that is 10cms long that somehow we both have failed to notice! :eek:Interesting...
    Thank you, Hy and walnut. A bit of a relief but still not an answer to my Bruggie. In saying that, it is now covered in budlets and new shoots from the bare stems/trunks? (there stems, here trunks?) and one that is 10cms long that somehow we...
    Thank you, Hy and walnut. A bit of a relief but still not an answer to my Bruggie. In saying that, it is now covered in budlets and new shoots from the bare stems/trunks? (there stems, here...
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. peapod

Box Elder question (acer)

Thanks so much! this is such a help flower..I never thought about pruning it That picture is perfect, I can see exactly where you are coming from now. Thanks again
    Thanks so much! this is such a help flower..I never thought about pruning it That picture is perfect, I can see exactly where you are coming from now. Thanks again
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. peapod

Another tree fern question

Most of the big ones that I've seen are well and truly rooted in the ground, I find it hard to believe that a plant, can reach the heights that these do, without having a decent root system in the...
    Most of the big ones that I've seen are well and truly rooted in the ground, I find it hard to believe that a plant, can reach the heights that these do, without having a decent root system in the ground. Especially when grow in the dryer conditions that most of these poor things are expcted to...
    Most of the big ones that I've seen are well and truly rooted in the ground, I find it hard to believe that a plant, can reach the heights that these do, without having a decent root system in the ground. Especially when grow in the dryer...
    Most of the big ones that I've seen are well and truly rooted in the ground, I find it hard to believe that a plant, can reach the heights that these do, without having a decent root system in the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. daisybelle

Pruning a silver birch

Thanks for the reassurance, I'll leave it be then. When we moved in, there was a lilac tree closer to the wall than the silver birch and a huge ash equally close to the wall on the other side of...
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll leave it be then. When we moved in, there was a lilac tree closer to the wall than the silver birch and a huge ash equally close to the wall on the other side of the garden. They didn't cause any problems and the building is derelict anyway, so I think I'll risk it
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll leave it be then. When we moved in, there was a lilac tree closer to the wall than the silver birch and a huge ash equally close to the wall on the other side of the garden. They didn't cause any problems and the...
    Thanks for the reassurance, I'll leave it be then. When we moved in, there was a lilac tree closer to the wall than the silver birch and a huge ash equally close to the wall on the other side of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Hyla arborea

A VERY Weeping Willow...

Sounds like a fair bit of work there, H-A :rolleyes: But as Voltaire says........ and he wasn't even the one credited with coming up with mots justes!
    Sounds like a fair bit of work there, H-A :rolleyes: But as Voltaire says........ and he wasn't even the one credited with coming up with mots justes!
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. elliegreenwellie

Apple tree - no blosom :

There are varieties of apple which are self-fertile, some that need 1 other, and some that need 2. The pollinators have to flower at the same time, obviously.
    There are varieties of apple which are self-fertile, some that need 1 other, and some that need 2. The pollinators have to flower at the same time, obviously.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. blue

Olive Tree

Welcome back, DaisyChain47.I could talk lots about olive trees but it would not be of any benefit to you. However, there are several people here who can assist.Hope you stay around this time...
    Welcome back, DaisyChain47.I could talk lots about olive trees but it would not be of any benefit to you. However, there are several people here who can assist.Hope you stay around this time .. the forum has probably changed drastically since you left.
    Welcome back, DaisyChain47.I could talk lots about olive trees but it would not be of any benefit to you. However, there are several people here who can assist.Hope you stay around this time .. the forum has probably changed drastically...
    Welcome back, DaisyChain47.I could talk lots about olive trees but it would not be of any benefit to you. However, there are several people here who can assist.Hope you stay around this time...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. paul walker

apple tree

Hi, K-G. I've got a dwarf apple, in the pictures the fruit are growing right on the trunk. My tree is throwing out long leaders from the side. Do you know if you have to shorten theses to the trunk?
    Hi, K-G. I've got a dwarf apple, in the pictures the fruit are growing right on the trunk. My tree is throwing out long leaders from the side. Do you know if you have to shorten theses to the trunk?
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. gerkin50

caterpillar web thingy on apple tree

you can actually see a caterpillar at the top of the pic on the stalk,,,took picture come back half hour later and there was about a dozen of the little ******s running around outside the web,now...
    you can actually see a caterpillar at the top of the pic on the stalk,,,took picture come back half hour later and there was about a dozen of the little ******s running around outside the web,now disposed of with my size 9s
    you can actually see a caterpillar at the top of the pic on the stalk,,,took picture come back half hour later and there was about a dozen of the little ******s running around outside the web,now disposed of with my size 9s
    you can actually see a caterpillar at the top of the pic on the stalk,,,took picture come back half hour later and there was about a dozen of the little ******s running around outside the web,now...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. daz and debs

apple tree

Hi leonora. Knew I'd find a mention of mini-apples if I looked back far enough. Your mini apple tree. Did you get it from v-meuwen? I've got one (first year). In the piccies, it grows straight up...
    Hi leonora. Knew I'd find a mention of mini-apples if I looked back far enough. Your mini apple tree. Did you get it from v-meuwen? I've got one (first year). In the piccies, it grows straight up with no side-shoots. Mine's growing well but it'sthrowing side-shoots. Do you prune them back to the...
    Hi leonora. Knew I'd find a mention of mini-apples if I looked back far enough. Your mini apple tree. Did you get it from v-meuwen? I've got one (first year). In the piccies, it grows straight up with no side-shoots. Mine's growing well but...
    Hi leonora. Knew I'd find a mention of mini-apples if I looked back far enough. Your mini apple tree. Did you get it from v-meuwen? I've got one (first year). In the piccies, it grows straight up...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. cavalierd73

ACER PALMATUM

I guess you can't say s****e around here :confused:Scale insects can be tough to control, you have to keep after them. Try and figure out which one it is, if you can, as some have hard...
    I guess you can't say s****e around here :confused:Scale insects can be tough to control, you have to keep after them. Try and figure out which one it is, if you can, as some have hard shells and some are soft. You have to have your timing down when going after the hard shelled ones....
    I guess you can't say s****e around here :confused:Scale insects can be tough to control, you have to keep after them. Try and figure out which one it is, if you can, as some have hard shells and some are soft. You have to have your...
    I guess you can't say s****e around here :confused:Scale insects can be tough to control, you have to keep after them. Try and figure out which one it is, if you can, as some have hard...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. David G

Jonagold Apple tree

Hi After reading the replies I got I could not wait to receive the tree. The tree arrived only 12" tall but looking very healthy I planted it in a pot and it has wilted so I have taken it out of...
    Hi After reading the replies I got I could not wait to receive the tree. The tree arrived only 12" tall but looking very healthy I planted it in a pot and it has wilted so I have taken it out of the pot and put in the garden soil. I have had a lot of trouble with seeds this year (same compost...
    Hi After reading the replies I got I could not wait to receive the tree. The tree arrived only 12" tall but looking very healthy I planted it in a pot and it has wilted so I have taken it out of the pot and put in the garden soil. I have had a...
    Hi After reading the replies I got I could not wait to receive the tree. The tree arrived only 12" tall but looking very healthy I planted it in a pot and it has wilted so I have taken it out of...
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. wiseowl

Hawthorn

Hi Mike they have a competition somewhere for the best layer in Britain I remember seeing it last year But don't know where its held,I will probably use It just for roosting In. :D
    Hi Mike they have a competition somewhere for the best layer in Britain I remember seeing it last year But don't know where its held,I will probably use It just for roosting In. :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. penguin

conifer

Hi penguin, a good hedging conifer is Thuja plicata atrovirens the Western Red Cedar. It is slower growing than Leylandii, has aromatic foliage, is more compact than Leylandii and will regrow if...
    Hi penguin, a good hedging conifer is Thuja plicata atrovirens the Western Red Cedar. It is slower growing than Leylandii, has aromatic foliage, is more compact than Leylandii and will regrow if any foliage dies off. David.
    Hi penguin, a good hedging conifer is Thuja plicata atrovirens the Western Red Cedar. It is slower growing than Leylandii, has aromatic foliage, is more compact than Leylandii and will regrow if any foliage dies off. David.
    Hi penguin, a good hedging conifer is Thuja plicata atrovirens the Western Red Cedar. It is slower growing than Leylandii, has aromatic foliage, is more compact than Leylandii and will regrow if...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Sarah_999

Tree peony leaves

Thanks Walnut. I'm not sure we've had frost down here, but I'll keep an eye on them!
    Thanks Walnut. I'm not sure we've had frost down here, but I'll keep an eye on them!
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. netty

tree staking ?

For me, planting a tree is best done in the autumn - gives the roots time to settle before the spring and summer.Just remember that a tree in a container needs a lot of feeding and watering. ...
    For me, planting a tree is best done in the autumn - gives the roots time to settle before the spring and summer.Just remember that a tree in a container needs a lot of feeding and watering. Planting at this time of year means you need to water at least every week.
    For me, planting a tree is best done in the autumn - gives the roots time to settle before the spring and summer.Just remember that a tree in a container needs a lot of feeding and watering. Planting at this time of year means you need to...
    For me, planting a tree is best done in the autumn - gives the roots time to settle before the spring and summer.Just remember that a tree in a container needs a lot of feeding and watering. ...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. dancing queen

Japanese Maple

I've got a few, they don't seem that fussy. The biggest is 2m tall in a large pot in neutral soil. I feed it with ericacious plant food but they're certainly not as sensitive to alkaline...
    I've got a few, they don't seem that fussy. The biggest is 2m tall in a large pot in neutral soil. I feed it with ericacious plant food but they're certainly not as sensitive to alkaline conditions as things like blueberries. I'll probably plant it in the ground later this year. It suffered a...
    I've got a few, they don't seem that fussy. The biggest is 2m tall in a large pot in neutral soil. I feed it with ericacious plant food but they're certainly not as sensitive to alkaline conditions as things like blueberries. I'll probably plant...
    I've got a few, they don't seem that fussy. The biggest is 2m tall in a large pot in neutral soil. I feed it with ericacious plant food but they're certainly not as sensitive to alkaline...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. jeppo

lavender tree

Thanks-I now think it probably is a normal form of Lavandula-simply trained and pruned. It just seems to have leaves unlike any I've seen in lavender as they are lobed (pointed lobes) and...
    Thanks-I now think it probably is a normal form of Lavandula-simply trained and pruned. It just seems to have leaves unlike any I've seen in lavender as they are lobed (pointed lobes) and slightly thicker than the typical. Otherwise tthe color is the same and scent also. There is no evidence...
    Thanks-I now think it probably is a normal form of Lavandula-simply trained and pruned. It just seems to have leaves unlike any I've seen in lavender as they are lobed (pointed lobes) and slightly thicker than the typical. Otherwise tthe color...
    Thanks-I now think it probably is a normal form of Lavandula-simply trained and pruned. It just seems to have leaves unlike any I've seen in lavender as they are lobed (pointed lobes) and...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. tiggs&oscar

Horse chestnuts

Thanks for that Celia. No, there is nothing between the upper sideshoots and the tip. I think I will give it another week then if there is no activity chop it! That way, I figure the energy...
    Thanks for that Celia. No, there is nothing between the upper sideshoots and the tip. I think I will give it another week then if there is no activity chop it! That way, I figure the energy gets diverted to those sideshoots instead of the tip that was knocked off by it's clumsy owner!
    Thanks for that Celia. No, there is nothing between the upper sideshoots and the tip. I think I will give it another week then if there is no activity chop it! That way, I figure the energy gets diverted to those sideshoots instead of the tip...
    Thanks for that Celia. No, there is nothing between the upper sideshoots and the tip. I think I will give it another week then if there is no activity chop it! That way, I figure the energy...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice