1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. JWK

What's looking Exotic 2024

I wondered what season it was in Puerto de la Cruz:scratch:
    P8310016.JPG P8310019.JPG P8310012.JPG 20240117_111820.jpg 20240118_113009.jpg 20240118_113101.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. JWK
    Replies:
    Views:
  4.   » Normal Threads
  5. Butterfly6

Tropical garden Novice

If your ground gets a goodly amount of water then some nice structural plants can look good. What used to be called darmera peltata but has a funky new name I think, rheum palmatum and rodgersia...
    If your ground gets a goodly amount of water then some nice structural plants can look good. What used to be called darmera peltata but has a funky new name I think, rheum palmatum and rodgersia can all look very tropical but are completely hardy. I also think the common persicaria like bistort...
    If your ground gets a goodly amount of water then some nice structural plants can look good. What used to be called darmera peltata but has a funky new name I think, rheum palmatum and rodgersia can all look very tropical but are completely...
    If your ground gets a goodly amount of water then some nice structural plants can look good. What used to be called darmera peltata but has a funky new name I think, rheum palmatum and rodgersia...
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Annie206

Rocking cordyline

yours were about the same size of mine before the "Beast from the East" KILLED THEM mine flowers in the summer which it hadnt done before then fell over lolIf me I would use a saw cut off...
    yours were about the same size of mine before the "Beast from the East" KILLED THEM mine flowers in the summer which it hadnt done before then fell over lolIf me I would use a saw cut off cleanly to the height you want it at .. let it heal over for a couple of days .. pull of about 50% of the...
    yours were about the same size of mine before the "Beast from the East" KILLED THEM mine flowers in the summer which it hadnt done before then fell over lolIf me I would use a saw cut off cleanly to the height you want it at .. let it heal...
    yours were about the same size of mine before the "Beast from the East" KILLED THEM mine flowers in the summer which it hadnt done before then fell over lolIf me I would use a saw cut off...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Victoria

Bamboo needs help ...

I have had this bamboo for forever (think it came from @roders) and I have not been able to tend to it. How should I thin it out ... cut all the dead stalks?Thank you.
    I have had this bamboo for forever (think it came from @roders) and I have not been able to tend to it. How should I thin it out ... cut all the dead stalks?Thank you.
    Bamboo 17 Mar 24.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Victoria
    Like x 9

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis

They are looking beautiful Victoria, they look like large flowers too, you should be very proud of yourself :imphrt:
    They are looking beautiful Victoria, they look like large flowers too, you should be very proud of yourself :imphrt:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Punkdoc

Amicia zygomeris

Hi @Punkdoc it grew well for me in rural Nottinghamshire in an open garden but needed a good year to flower well
    Hi @Punkdoc it grew well for me in rural Nottinghamshire in an open garden but needed a good year to flower well
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Fof

Calceolaria pavoni

I am in central Cornwall and this is new to me so I googled it. It is sold by Charlie Pridham at Roseland house in Chasewater so should be OK for you. Apparently it dies down in winter so would...
    I am in central Cornwall and this is new to me so I googled it. It is sold by Charlie Pridham at Roseland house in Chasewater so should be OK for you. Apparently it dies down in winter so would avoid the worst winds. I have a shrubby calceolaria grown from a cutting, now a 2 foot high shrub...
    I am in central Cornwall and this is new to me so I googled it. It is sold by Charlie Pridham at Roseland house in Chasewater so should be OK for you. Apparently it dies down in winter so would avoid the worst winds. I have a shrubby calceolaria...
    I am in central Cornwall and this is new to me so I googled it. It is sold by Charlie Pridham at Roseland house in Chasewater so should be OK for you. Apparently it dies down in winter so would...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Caz2024

Poorly moth orchid

I have several phalaenopsis and I agree about a constant temperature to help them grow naturally. I always water and mist with rainwater - kept inside in old squash bottles to reach ambient...
    I have several phalaenopsis and I agree about a constant temperature to help them grow naturally. I always water and mist with rainwater - kept inside in old squash bottles to reach ambient temperature. Once a month I soak the complete pot in rain water for 30 minutes and allow to drain...
    I have several phalaenopsis and I agree about a constant temperature to help them grow naturally. I always water and mist with rainwater - kept inside in old squash bottles to reach ambient temperature. Once a month I soak the complete pot in...
    I have several phalaenopsis and I agree about a constant temperature to help them grow naturally. I always water and mist with rainwater - kept inside in old squash bottles to reach ambient...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. vbgr

Grow lights. Can someone tell me what all this means.

@NigelJ WOW! Thank you so much. That is so detailed. V
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Victoria

Adenium obesum (Desert Rose)

Had J bring them out of the The Baffa to the front coffee table. The little ones are leafless.
    Had J bring them out of the The Baffa to the front coffee table. The little ones are leafless.
    Adenium Nursery 22 Aug 22.jpg Adenium Nurseru 25 Aug 22.jpg DSC03273.JPG Adenium 25 Aug 22.jpg Plumeria2 25 Aug 22.jpg Adeium 6 Sep 22.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. ricky101

Phal Orchid Spikes

Thanks, similar to cutting the stem part way back after flowering to encourage a second shoot.Will give it a try as only looking to delay some of them a few weeks.
    Thanks, similar to cutting the stem part way back after flowering to encourage a second shoot.Will give it a try as only looking to delay some of them a few weeks.
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. Fof

Dendrobium kingianum

I think Glendurgan is, to all intents and purposes, a frost free site.
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. welshone

Banana Musa Basjoo - Pups

I've been growing musas for years now and still find them fascinating I've even had one of them produce 'fruit' . when it comes to pups I tend to leave them until their 1-2 feet then with the aid...
    I've been growing musas for years now and still find them fascinating I've even had one of them produce 'fruit' . when it comes to pups I tend to leave them until their 1-2 feet then with the aid of a hose pipe and a sharp knife I water around the pup enough to get my hand deep enough down in...
    I've been growing musas for years now and still find them fascinating I've even had one of them produce 'fruit' . when it comes to pups I tend to leave them until their 1-2 feet then with the aid of a hose pipe and a sharp knife I water around...
    I've been growing musas for years now and still find them fascinating I've even had one of them produce 'fruit' . when it comes to pups I tend to leave them until their 1-2 feet then with the aid...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Victoria
    Like x 9

PROTEA 'TANGO" Orange Pincushion (Leucospermum)

I have always thought cold tea was good for plants, ;) I have even put J's coffee grounds on things. And milk that has gone off, watered down. I was brought up to use what is available.
    I have always thought cold tea was good for plants, ;) I have even put J's coffee grounds on things. And milk that has gone off, watered down. I was brought up to use what is available.
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Fof

Orchid advice. please

I had a blue one gifted to me by our daughter. When it flowered in subsequent years it was white! Though the blue & pink where very nice these colours in Orchids are not natural.
    I had a blue one gifted to me by our daughter. When it flowered in subsequent years it was white! Though the blue & pink where very nice these colours in Orchids are not natural.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. Loofah

Cannas 2023

New thread here : Canna 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. JWK

What's looking Exotic in 2023

Link to new threadWhat's looking Exotic 2024
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. Fof

Orchid feed question

Just been watering the orchids and looking on the Vitax bottles of fertilisers they show rather different values to yours.Growth 100 - 30 - 50 Bloom 50 - 30 -100You could probably use...
    Just been watering the orchids and looking on the Vitax bottles of fertilisers they show rather different values to yours.Growth 100 - 30 - 50 Bloom 50 - 30 -100You could probably use any standard balanced fertiliser but at 1/4 strength, which some of the old hands seem to do to save...
    Just been watering the orchids and looking on the Vitax bottles of fertilisers they show rather different values to yours.Growth 100 - 30 - 50 Bloom 50 - 30 -100You could probably use any standard balanced fertiliser but at 1/4...
    Just been watering the orchids and looking on the Vitax bottles of fertilisers they show rather different values to yours.Growth 100 - 30 - 50 Bloom 50 - 30 -100You could probably use...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. Victoria
    Like x 8

Jatropha multifida

I took four leaves off the multifida an two off the podagrica and think another two will have to go. The podariga did this last year.
    I took four leaves off the multifida an two off the podagrica and think another two will have to go. The podariga did this last year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. Victoria

Iochroma

Reading back, I saw this question I did not appear to answer. We do it twice a year, late Spring and Autumn.
    Reading back, I saw this question I did not appear to answer. We do it twice a year, late Spring and Autumn.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. Victoria
    Like x 4

Cycas revoluta

He is very handsome ...
    He is very handsome ...
    He is very handsome ...
    He is very handsome ...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice