1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. ARMANDII

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2017

Went there some years ago and it's a lovely garden in a wonderful setting :dbgrtmb:
    Went there some years ago and it's a lovely garden in a wonderful setting :dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

CANNA - 2017

The sun has been really strong over the last few days here @pete , the sun index for here tomorrow is 8 which I've not seen this far north.
    The sun has been really strong over the last few days here @pete , the sun index for here tomorrow is 8 which I've not seen this far north.
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Like x 7

How to Germinate a Mango...!

My avocado plant 9months old
    DSC_3119.jpg DSC_3223.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Wayne
    Like x 4

A few pictures of last year's Brugmansia's

?? Never was fluent in Gibberish :snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. catztail

brugmansia question

I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    I think it gets pretty cold in winter where it comes from, but at the same time, its probably dryer and spring comes a bit earlier, with a guaranteed summer.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. PeterS
    Like x 10

Cannas - 10 things you didn't know

Strictly speaking edible ginger, I think, is Zingiber officinale, as opposed to the ornamental gingers that are various species of Hedychium. But they are all the same family and closely related.
    Strictly speaking edible ginger, I think, is Zingiber officinale, as opposed to the ornamental gingers that are various species of Hedychium. But they are all the same family and closely related.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. Wayne
    Like x 6

Alan's Brugmansia Hurstwood Elinor

It is so pretty. I guess those are the species that I only get to enjoy watching from far, far away. It is too hot here. Thanks for sharing.
    It is so pretty. I guess those are the species that I only get to enjoy watching from far, far away. It is too hot here. Thanks for sharing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Hurstwood brugs.

Sphaerocarpium Brugmansia

Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous colouration from Wildfire. Another positive of these two is that they have the hardiness of the Arborea. Hope...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous colouration from Wildfire. Another positive of these two is...
    Hurstwood BowWayne Hurstwood Elinor is below this one.Here is Hurstwood Bow (H. Elinors pod sister) This one has also carried the strong fragrance from Arborea 'S' and the gorgeous...
    Hurstwood Bryony  Quality (Large).JPG insertimage.gif attach.gif Hurstwood Elinor Black BG with star (Large).jpg Hurstwood Bow Black BG PS (Large).jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. longk

Brugmansia sanguinea

Hi Victoria Wayne lured me from the 'Darkside' LOL Its nice to be here, Thanks for the Welcome.AlanHurstwood Brugmansia
    Hi Victoria Wayne lured me from the 'Darkside' LOL Its nice to be here, Thanks for the Welcome.AlanHurstwood Brugmansia
    Replies:
    Views:
  11.   » Normal Threads
  12. Mike77

Bamboo Fargesia Rufa

Can anyone confirm how tall Fargesia Rufa bamboo will grow?I bought 9 plants to for use as hedging/screening. The nursery website stated they would grow to a maximum of 3.5 meters tall which...
    Can anyone confirm how tall Fargesia Rufa bamboo will grow?I bought 9 plants to for use as hedging/screening. The nursery website stated they would grow to a maximum of 3.5 meters tall which would be ideal for my intended use. However when they arrived the suppliers label states they will grow...
    Can anyone confirm how tall Fargesia Rufa bamboo will grow?I bought 9 plants to for use as hedging/screening. The nursery website stated they would grow to a maximum of 3.5 meters tall which would be ideal for my intended use. However when they...
    Can anyone confirm how tall Fargesia Rufa bamboo will grow?I bought 9 plants to for use as hedging/screening. The nursery website stated they would grow to a maximum of 3.5 meters tall which...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. longk

Cordyline, Phormium and Yucca

And these :)
    CIMG0005.JPG IMG_1346.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. longk
    Like x 5

Furcraea

Ok.............. so the Beschorneria yuccoides that I've grown from seed clearly isn't................ Furcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on...
    Ok.............. so the Beschorneria yuccoides that I've grown from seed clearly isn't................ Furcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea foetida...
    Ok.............. so the Beschorneria yuccoides that I've grown from seed clearly isn't................ Furcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea?...
    Ok.............. so the Beschorneria yuccoides that I've grown from seed clearly isn't................ Furcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on FlickrFurcraea? by longk48, on...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. PeterS
    Like x 3

Bananas

The basjoo on it's 2nd leaf, 1st one shredded 3rd roller coming now. The sikkimensis on its 2nd leaf, 2 the 3 ensetes died but the biggest survived and is now in the garden in a 50L pot
    The basjoo on it's 2nd leaf, 1st one shredded 3rd roller coming now. The sikkimensis on its 2nd leaf, 2 the 3 ensetes died but the biggest survived and is now in the garden in a 50L pot
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. David Butler

Help with large outdoor plant !!

Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Cordyline australis.;)
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. Richard360
    Like x 3

Entada gigas Sea pea

Looking forward to seeing how this goes they are soaking now after I have drilled a few holes through the really hard shell but will keep you posted
    Looking forward to seeing how this goes they are soaking now after I have drilled a few holes through the really hard shell but will keep you posted
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. noisette47

Propagating Hoya carnea

Thanks, pete....:dbgrtmb:
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PeterS
    Like x 6

Recent purchases

No its hasn't arrived yet. They did say on the site that there was a heavy backlog and there would be a 2 to 3 week delay before sending out. So I am not worried ......yet.:snork:
    No its hasn't arrived yet. They did say on the site that there was a heavy backlog and there would be a 2 to 3 week delay before sending out. So I am not worried ......yet.:snork:
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. PeterS
    Like x 13

The Jungle Garden - Nick Wilson - Leeds

Great - I am glad you saw that Richard - I had been meaning to send you a message knowing your proximity and your interest
    Great - I am glad you saw that Richard - I had been meaning to send you a message knowing your proximity and your interest
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. PeterS
    Like x 8

Why not grow something new

Thanks LongK - I grew a couple of lots from seed, but unfortunately as I said the labels have gone missing, and as long as I recognised the Bauhinia leaf I didn't worry - after all there were all...
    Thanks LongK - I grew a couple of lots from seed, but unfortunately as I said the labels have gone missing, and as long as I recognised the Bauhinia leaf I didn't worry - after all there were all new to me, and I operate a policy of the survival of the fittest. :biggrin:Actually, I must be honest, I...
    Thanks LongK - I grew a couple of lots from seed, but unfortunately as I said the labels have gone missing, and as long as I recognised the Bauhinia leaf I didn't worry - after all there were all new to me, and I operate a policy of the survival...
    Thanks LongK - I grew a couple of lots from seed, but unfortunately as I said the labels have gone missing, and as long as I recognised the Bauhinia leaf I didn't worry - after all there were all...
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. ARMANDII
    Like x 8

WHAT'S LOOKING EXOTIC IN 2015

There is a 2017 thread now
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PeterS
    Like x 14

What's looking exotic in 2016

As long as it remains frost free it stays undamaged. Plenty of buds coming (although they take longer to form fully) and the flowers are definitely better if I follow the "cool is better" regime.
    As long as it remains frost free it stays undamaged. Plenty of buds coming (although they take longer to form fully) and the flowers are definitely better if I follow the "cool is better" regime.
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. mr c

overgrown lime tree

That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a...
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a pair of loppers and a telescopic 'parrot-beak' pruner and there'll be no looking back!
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a pair of loppers and a telescopic 'parrot-beak' pruner...
    That rings several bells...oh dear:roflol: Seriously, limes aren't as prickly as some citrus, as long as it's not an Aussie finger lime! Get yourself some decent leather or rubber gardening gloves, a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. longk
    Like x 6

Passiflora and other "exotic" climbers

Sal, Good to see you back! How have you been?Lovely Passifloras
    Replies:
    Views:
  26. miraflores

tropical

If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but not direct, at this time of year I doubt thats the problem. Don't feed it until you can establish...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but not direct, at this time of year I doubt thats...
    If it is a rubber plant then I wouldn't leave it in water, they hate soggy compost and the roots will rot. What's the drainage like?They also need to be out of draughts, with plenty of sun - but...
    Replies:
    Views:
  27. joolz68
    Like x 7

Canna 2016

Its droppin cold now :( i still have some flowers and a few ready to bud but arnt we usually due a frost 1 oct?
    Its droppin cold now :( i still have some flowers and a few ready to bud but arnt we usually due a frost 1 oct?
    aug 11th (1).JPG 20160424-P4240021.jpg canna.jpg DSC_0094.JPG DSC_0111.JPG DSC_0112.JPG
    Replies:
    Views:
  28. pete

Palms

Good to hear I've planted a few this year too, a trachycarpus princeps hybrid & fortunei, chamaerops humilis. All seem to have transplanted well
    Good to hear I've planted a few this year too, a trachycarpus princeps hybrid & fortunei, chamaerops humilis. All seem to have transplanted well
    Replies:
    Views:
  29. youngalistai

are salvias under tropicals?

It is a member of the mint family as are Salvia. The threads title is a little confusing but we get there in the end.
    It is a member of the mint family as are Salvia. The threads title is a little confusing but we get there in the end.
    Replies:
    Views:
  30. Tara100

A couple of banana plant queries :)

@Tara100Seems you can get it via Amazon or Bit pricey though may be cheaper via ebay
    @Tara100Seems you can get it via Amazon or Bit pricey though may be cheaper via ebay
    Replies:
    Views:
  31. longk
    Like x 3

Puya

Yay - it's in bloom!
    Yay - it's in bloom!
    Yay - it's in bloom!
    Yay - it's in bloom!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options