1. THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING IN THE 2 MINUTE SILENCE
    IN MEMORY OF ARMANDII

Armandii's chosen charity was Motor Neurone Disease Association (MNDA) - donations in his memory are welcomed, paid directly to the charity. Please ask a member of Admin for further information.

Dismiss Notice
We have a very sad announcement to make - please see the thread in the link below:

Please Click Here

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1.   » Sticky Threads
  2. shiney

What's looking Exotic in 2021

Old Thread Here:-What's looking Exotic in 2020
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. ARMANDII

CANNA - 2020

My cannas are over 7 ft tall, they have taken a bit of a battering in the recent gales:
    My cannas are over 7 ft tall, they have taken a bit of a battering in the recent gales:
    20200208_111826.jpg 20200208_111817.jpg IMG_4457.jpg 20200409_125617.jpg 20200409_125708.jpg 20200409_125751.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Marley Farley
    Like x 7

How to Germinate a Mango...!

I know this isn’t a plant but I had to just show you this picture........
    DSC_3119.jpg DSC_3223.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg 2EBAE072-3A0B-4925-B261-7776803B05A1.jpeg
    Replies:
    Views:
  5.   » Normal Threads
  6. Mark L Cliff

My Musa Banana Plant is a mess!

Leave the leaves on until it's made some more decent sized ones.I only cut off leaves that are pretty much dead.
    Leave the leaves on until it's made some more decent sized ones.I only cut off leaves that are pretty much dead.
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Mary by the sea

Strelitzia

Mine is pushing up the paving slabs, I hate the think how big the root system is, and how much soil it is displacing.
    Mine is pushing up the paving slabs, I hate the think how big the root system is, and how much soil it is displacing.
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. noisette47

Saving a banana...

It hit 29C today and it's going to persist down all next week...reckon that'll do :biggrin:
    It hit 29C today and it's going to persist down all next week...reckon that'll do :biggrin:
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK
    Like x 12

What's looking Exotic in 2020

New Thread Here:-What's looking Exotic in 2021
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. Purple Streaks

Anglian bulb comp a ny

Yes I Highly recommend Anglian bulbs , all my best bulbs/tubers have come from them.
    Yes I Highly recommend Anglian bulbs , all my best bulbs/tubers have come from them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. Mel03

My mango tree is dying, is it too late??

Hehehe! No, it was autocorrect getting carried away.... I typed “colder”, and autocorrect substituted “children”.
    Hehehe! No, it was autocorrect getting carried away.... I typed “colder”, and autocorrect substituted “children”.
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Jonny

Tetrapanax Rex help please!

Good to know. I’ll be keeping mine in pots for a while as expecting to have to move about for a few years.
    Good to know. I’ll be keeping mine in pots for a while as expecting to have to move about for a few years.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Michael Hewat

Areca palm scale?

ok thats good to know, appreciated
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. Michael Hewat

Monstera geniculum or scale? Chlorosis?

Hi, thanks your replies. Yeah i think its definitely nutrient deficient in some way and agree some watering inconsistencies. Also been giving it some nice humidity last couple days and given it...
    Hi, thanks your replies. Yeah i think its definitely nutrient deficient in some way and agree some watering inconsistencies. Also been giving it some nice humidity last couple days and given it prime location in the window. Ill wait and see what i've given it kicks it back.Cheers
    Hi, thanks your replies. Yeah i think its definitely nutrient deficient in some way and agree some watering inconsistencies. Also been giving it some nice humidity last couple days and given it prime location in the window. Ill wait and see what...
    Hi, thanks your replies. Yeah i think its definitely nutrient deficient in some way and agree some watering inconsistencies. Also been giving it some nice humidity last couple days and given it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. JWK
    Like x 5

Cannas 2021

Tried the boiling water and there was definite cracking! Just have to wait and see what happens next..
    Tried the boiling water and there was definite cracking! Just have to wait and see what happens next..
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. PhilC

Has my pineapple plant had it?

I go along with @flounder , but only if the stem feels solid.Pineapples dont have a large root system, and the roots they do have are mostly for anchorage rather than feeding.Being Bromeliads...
    I go along with @flounder , but only if the stem feels solid.Pineapples dont have a large root system, and the roots they do have are mostly for anchorage rather than feeding.Being Bromeliads they absorb feed and water through their leaves, so misting a couple of times a day is good, along...
    I go along with @flounder , but only if the stem feels solid.Pineapples dont have a large root system, and the roots they do have are mostly for anchorage rather than feeding.Being Bromeliads they absorb feed and water through their leaves,...
    I go along with @flounder , but only if the stem feels solid.Pineapples dont have a large root system, and the roots they do have are mostly for anchorage rather than feeding.Being Bromeliads...
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. JWK

What's looking Exotic 2021

I had to wrap all my newly planted exotic trees. Persimmon, fig and almonds don't really like it cold. And I just planted them last october. I hope my babies don't die in the harsh cold (up to...
    I had to wrap all my newly planted exotic trees. Persimmon, fig and almonds don't really like it cold. And I just planted them last october. I hope my babies don't die in the harsh cold (up to -15°C agree expected).
    I had to wrap all my newly planted exotic trees. Persimmon, fig and almonds don't really like it cold. And I just planted them last october. I hope my babies don't die in the harsh cold (up to -15°C agree expected).
    I had to wrap all my newly planted exotic trees. Persimmon, fig and almonds don't really like it cold. And I just planted them last october. I hope my babies don't die in the harsh cold (up to...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. Texas Pete

Cordyline surface root question

During the really bad frost which I believe we all had that stayed with us here in South Yorkshire my Cordylines and Phormiums turned to mush . I sadly cleared it all away.the following spring the...
    During the really bad frost which I believe we all had that stayed with us here in South Yorkshire my Cordylines and Phormiums turned to mush . I sadly cleared it all away.the following spring the phormiums 're sprutted. And the cordylines where one had been just the individual 7 started growing...
    During the really bad frost which I believe we all had that stayed with us here in South Yorkshire my Cordylines and Phormiums turned to mush . I sadly cleared it all away.the following spring the phormiums 're sprutted. And the cordylines where...
    During the really bad frost which I believe we all had that stayed with us here in South Yorkshire my Cordylines and Phormiums turned to mush . I sadly cleared it all away.the following spring the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. PhilC

Problems germinating gunnera seeds

Give it a go @PhilC ....I always try the Ziploc baggie method first now, surprisingly good results on most things.If not then I return to traditional methods. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as...
    Give it a go @PhilC ....I always try the Ziploc baggie method first now, surprisingly good results on most things.If not then I return to traditional methods. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as they say.:biggrin: :dbgrtmb:
    Give it a go @PhilC ....I always try the Ziploc baggie method first now, surprisingly good results on most things.If not then I return to traditional methods. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as they say.:biggrin: :dbgrtmb:
    Give it a go @PhilC ....I always try the Ziploc baggie method first now, surprisingly good results on most things.If not then I return to traditional methods. Nothing ventured nothing gained...as...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. ARMANDII
    Like x 5

NEWLY BOUGHT TREE FERN

Amen to that! @ARMANDII That looks so pretty with snow on. Im really going to try and get one this year.
    Amen to that! @ARMANDII That looks so pretty with snow on. Im really going to try and get one this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  21. HarryS

Hardy Palm Suggestion?

Don't go for a massive one to start with, at £30 per foot you'll need at least a 3 footer for a decent show - a lot of money in my book.
    Don't go for a massive one to start with, at £30 per foot you'll need at least a 3 footer for a decent show - a lot of money in my book.
    Replies:
    Views:
  22. john mackay
    Like x 6

First thread ,few pics hopefully

Thanks upsydasy . The next door neighbours have a young son . He'll be 3 soon . Did it for him .
    Thanks upsydasy . The next door neighbours have a young son . He'll be 3 soon . Did it for him .
    Replies:
    Views:
  23. PhilC

Musa Ensete Maurelli problems...Help!

I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.Unless of course it was red when you bought itIf you grow it from seed you just get the green...
    I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.Unless of course it was red when you bought itIf you grow it from seed you just get the green plant. Musa is a different group of plants.
    I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.Unless of course it was red when you bought itIf you grow it from seed you just get the green plant. Musa is a different group of plants.
    I think it's probably Ensete ventricosum the species plant and not the variety Maurelli.Unless of course it was red when you bought itIf you grow it from seed you just get the green...
    Replies:
    Views:
  24. buddleia64

Fig Tree

I've got a brown turkey that grows in a pot outside - last week I went over it and removed anything bigger than a pea. Anything smaller should "pause" over winter and resume developing once the...
    I've got a brown turkey that grows in a pot outside - last week I went over it and removed anything bigger than a pea. Anything smaller should "pause" over winter and resume developing once the weather warms up next year; in previous years I've found about 50% of them go on to ripen properly,...
    I've got a brown turkey that grows in a pot outside - last week I went over it and removed anything bigger than a pea. Anything smaller should "pause" over winter and resume developing once the weather warms up next year; in previous years I've...
    I've got a brown turkey that grows in a pot outside - last week I went over it and removed anything bigger than a pea. Anything smaller should "pause" over winter and resume developing once the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  25. Texas Pete

Chamaerops planting and questions.

Well it is definitely growing nicely, has thrown out loads of new growth on the top, and has been suckering since I posted this - although no doubt this will wind down as winter approaches! Cheers!
    Well it is definitely growing nicely, has thrown out loads of new growth on the top, and has been suckering since I posted this - although no doubt this will wind down as winter approaches! Cheers!
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice