1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views
Last Message ↓
  1. DUBMAN2011

plumeria seeds

Cool :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. Bilbo675
    Like x 6

Pineapple and Ginger

Here's an update on the Pineapple and Ginger;The Ginger has now developed 2 suckers which growing quite quickly :thumb:The Pineapple is a picture of health, I'm really pleased with that :thumbsup:...
    Here's an update on the Pineapple and Ginger;The Ginger has now developed 2 suckers which growing quite quickly :thumb:The Pineapple is a picture of health, I'm really pleased with that :thumbsup:Both have now been moved in to our large kitchen away from central heating but still recieving...
    Here's an update on the Pineapple and Ginger;The Ginger has now developed 2 suckers which growing quite quickly :thumb:The Pineapple is a picture of health, I'm really pleased with that :thumbsup:Both have now been moved in to our large kitchen...
    Here's an update on the Pineapple and Ginger;The Ginger has now developed 2 suckers which growing quite quickly :thumb:The Pineapple is a picture of health, I'm really pleased with that :thumbsup:...
    b (1).jpg b (2).jpg Plants 064.jpg Plants 065.jpg
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. HYDROGEN86

canna plant and easter lilie winter care

Spot on bilbo :thumbsup:
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. NIKKI D

Papyrus help - again

I think I'll risk it. In the Spring I did much the same, just cut it back and crossed my fingers and it has never looked better. Previous years I've just put the entire thing on a window sill...
    I think I'll risk it. In the Spring I did much the same, just cut it back and crossed my fingers and it has never looked better. Previous years I've just put the entire thing on a window sill without cutting back but both plants are so enormous now I don't think I've a windowsill big enough LOL
    I think I'll risk it. In the Spring I did much the same, just cut it back and crossed my fingers and it has never looked better. Previous years I've just put the entire thing on a window sill without cutting back but both plants are so enormous...
    I think I'll risk it. In the Spring I did much the same, just cut it back and crossed my fingers and it has never looked better. Previous years I've just put the entire thing on a window sill...
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. a1roses

The Best Of Tropical Gardening

I having some images on my mind but it would be more better if you'll share some photos. Like what Shiney said it would be interesting.
    I having some images on my mind but it would be more better if you'll share some photos. Like what Shiney said it would be interesting.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. pete
    Like x 9

tropical spuds

Thanks Steve - actually I do remember that thread - I must have been thinking of that. :heehee: As I said not being a veg grower I was only half concentrating. I found the discussion you mentioned under...
    Thanks Steve - actually I do remember that thread - I must have been thinking of that. :heehee: As I said not being a veg grower I was only half concentrating. I found the discussion you mentioned under the subject "1 tonne of potatoes ?". I read a good part but will have to come back to read the...
    Thanks Steve - actually I do remember that thread - I must have been thinking of that. :heehee: As I said not being a veg grower I was only half concentrating. I found the discussion you mentioned under the subject "1 tonne of potatoes ?". I read a...
    Thanks Steve - actually I do remember that thread - I must have been thinking of that. :heehee: As I said not being a veg grower I was only half concentrating. I found the discussion you mentioned under...
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Kristen

Too late to sow Cannas from seed?

They started germinating a couple of days ago :)
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. GreenOliveTree

Tropical Seeds

Shipping seedsI can mail seeds to the UK, Europe or to the USA. I think that packages in the US go through the US customs now. If a phytosanitary certificate is needed then that can be provided...
    Shipping seedsI can mail seeds to the UK, Europe or to the USA. I think that packages in the US go through the US customs now. If a phytosanitary certificate is needed then that can be provided as well.Kirk
    Shipping seedsI can mail seeds to the UK, Europe or to the USA. I think that packages in the US go through the US customs now. If a phytosanitary certificate is needed then that can be provided as well.Kirk
    Shipping seedsI can mail seeds to the UK, Europe or to the USA. I think that packages in the US go through the US customs now. If a phytosanitary certificate is needed then that can be provided...
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. JWK

Banana Planting time

I had a basjoo in my old garden in Cheshire and the main stems grew to 10ft and it suckered - A LOT, producing a forest for want of a better word. Every neighbour in the street that was...
    I had a basjoo in my old garden in Cheshire and the main stems grew to 10ft and it suckered - A LOT, producing a forest for want of a better word. Every neighbour in the street that was interested in gardening had a rooted sucker as a gift.I used to protect the stems with straw and fleece...
    I had a basjoo in my old garden in Cheshire and the main stems grew to 10ft and it suckered - A LOT, producing a forest for want of a better word. Every neighbour in the street that was interested in gardening had a rooted sucker as a gift. ...
    I had a basjoo in my old garden in Cheshire and the main stems grew to 10ft and it suckered - A LOT, producing a forest for want of a better word. Every neighbour in the street that was...
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. chase100

Broken Canna Shoot...

Yes, you're right, Pete. That's another reason why some of the Cannas are in the Greenhouse and some in the Kitchen.:thumbsup::D
    Yes, you're right, Pete. That's another reason why some of the Cannas are in the Greenhouse and some in the Kitchen.:thumbsup::D
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. ARMANDII

Canna's - can i??

Where did the virus come from, Pete?, and is there any way of protecting against it? It must have been a real downer to lose your Canna's, how did it affect them!
    Where did the virus come from, Pete?, and is there any way of protecting against it? It must have been a real downer to lose your Canna's, how did it affect them!
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. freeman3030

Tropical themed garden

Lots of plants will help with the feel, not all are totally hardy, and many will depend on your exact location - where about are you?Trachycarpus, cordylines, butia, treeferns can all be...
    Lots of plants will help with the feel, not all are totally hardy, and many will depend on your exact location - where about are you?Trachycarpus, cordylines, butia, treeferns can all be considered for instance, but it really depends on your location and winter temperatures.Have a look...
    Lots of plants will help with the feel, not all are totally hardy, and many will depend on your exact location - where about are you?Trachycarpus, cordylines, butia, treeferns can all be considered for instance, but it really depends on your...
    Lots of plants will help with the feel, not all are totally hardy, and many will depend on your exact location - where about are you?Trachycarpus, cordylines, butia, treeferns can all be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. Mel

ooops just had an accident with my banana plant!

No problem at all, in a few weeks time when its pushed out more leaves you wont even notice it.
    No problem at all, in a few weeks time when its pushed out more leaves you wont even notice it.
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. holly88

Canna lily question

Hi holly88, those shoots mean that you can divide the plant from the root and you will have a new plant.Canna lily has got beautiful leaves which will benefit from regular watering.They...
    Hi holly88, those shoots mean that you can divide the plant from the root and you will have a new plant.Canna lily has got beautiful leaves which will benefit from regular watering.They say that it can withstand the cold and so on but I don't think so. It is a plant which performs much...
    Hi holly88, those shoots mean that you can divide the plant from the root and you will have a new plant.Canna lily has got beautiful leaves which will benefit from regular watering.They say that it can withstand the cold and so on but I...
    Hi holly88, those shoots mean that you can divide the plant from the root and you will have a new plant.Canna lily has got beautiful leaves which will benefit from regular watering.They...
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. OllyTanzania

How to mulch in tropical Tanzania

Olly - welcome to the forum. So nice to see someone from somewhere exotic. I do hope that, in due time, we might see some pictures of plants that grow out there.I think a mulch is something...
    Olly - welcome to the forum. So nice to see someone from somewhere exotic. I do hope that, in due time, we might see some pictures of plants that grow out there.I think a mulch is something placed on top of the soil to help to reduce the loss of moisture from the soil by evaporation. It can...
    Olly - welcome to the forum. So nice to see someone from somewhere exotic. I do hope that, in due time, we might see some pictures of plants that grow out there.I think a mulch is something placed on top of the soil to help to reduce the...
    Olly - welcome to the forum. So nice to see someone from somewhere exotic. I do hope that, in due time, we might see some pictures of plants that grow out there.I think a mulch is something...
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Tinkerbelle

Musa Cavendish Super Dwarf Banana Plug Plants?

Will do. Just pray for sun and warmth - the sooner the better.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. bexhillgardener

Ok to plant tropicals in November?

Do you already have the plants, and if so are the plants in pots, do remember it is easier for the roots to freeze when in pots. If you do have them already then try and keep them up against a...
    Do you already have the plants, and if so are the plants in pots, do remember it is easier for the roots to freeze when in pots. If you do have them already then try and keep them up against a house wall and keep the rain off the succulents. May even be worth wrapping the pots with bubble wrap...
    Do you already have the plants, and if so are the plants in pots, do remember it is easier for the roots to freeze when in pots. If you do have them already then try and keep them up against a house wall and keep the rain off the succulents. May...
    Do you already have the plants, and if so are the plants in pots, do remember it is easier for the roots to freeze when in pots. If you do have them already then try and keep them up against a...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. sneyom

tropical troubles

Mombasagardener, I was just thinking of Mombasa when I started to read this thread. I'd love ot have a go at growing a frangipani from seed so will have to see if some seeds jump into my case when...
    Mombasagardener, I was just thinking of Mombasa when I started to read this thread. I'd love ot have a go at growing a frangipani from seed so will have to see if some seeds jump into my case when I am next on my travels. In Msa, we used to get the pale cream one, the very dark pink/red ons...
    Mombasagardener, I was just thinking of Mombasa when I started to read this thread. I'd love ot have a go at growing a frangipani from seed so will have to see if some seeds jump into my case when I am next on my travels. In Msa, we used to get...
    Mombasagardener, I was just thinking of Mombasa when I started to read this thread. I'd love ot have a go at growing a frangipani from seed so will have to see if some seeds jump into my case when...
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. sunset

Growing Musa Bananarama in South London?

I have a musa basjoo, and it came from a good friend of mine, in New Jersey, and he insists that i can grow them here, in Canada:thumb:....although i will obviously have to bring it in for the...
    I have a musa basjoo, and it came from a good friend of mine, in New Jersey, and he insists that i can grow them here, in Canada:thumb:....although i will obviously have to bring it in for the winter.:gnthb: Good luck with it, and keep us posted.
    I have a musa basjoo, and it came from a good friend of mine, in New Jersey, and he insists that i can grow them here, in Canada:thumb:....although i will obviously have to bring it in for the winter.:gnthb: Good luck with it, and keep us posted.
    I have a musa basjoo, and it came from a good friend of mine, in New Jersey, and he insists that i can grow them here, in Canada:thumb:....although i will obviously have to bring it in for the...
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Bob

Canna

I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:So if I do make...
    I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:So if I do make some sort of bog garden area, I think I would try and bury them in pots so I can lift them in the...
    I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:So if I do make some sort of bog garden area, I think I would try and...
    I don`t think its that one simply because its not very well along yet so must flower later, It is still in the same pot as last year and came through the winter o.k. :thmb:So if I do make...
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice