1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Tropical Gardening

All Discussion for Tropical Species Can Be Found Here

Sort By:
Title
Replies Views ↓
Last Message
  1. Kandy

FAO Bananaman

Well BM very impressed, you certainly have created what looks like a large space, Do you have edible bananas or is the weather a problem in our country as i had banana trees on my patio when i...
    Well BM very impressed, you certainly have created what looks like a large space, Do you have edible bananas or is the weather a problem in our country as i had banana trees on my patio when i lived in houston,texas. mind dont know what kind they were, in actual fact a friend of mine over there...
    Well BM very impressed, you certainly have created what looks like a large space, Do you have edible bananas or is the weather a problem in our country as i had banana trees on my patio when i lived in houston,texas. mind dont know what kind they...
    Well BM very impressed, you certainly have created what looks like a large space, Do you have edible bananas or is the weather a problem in our country as i had banana trees on my patio when i...
    Replies:
    Views:
  2. sparkle

cannas

Thanks Ornata, I will give it a go and keep a close eye on them.
    Replies:
    Views:
  3. daz and debs

banana problem

Hi guys thank you for the feed back.Right here goes.I planted it in the ground about mmmmm late march it looked ok it was on about the third leaf indoors.planted it out it slowed down so i fed it...
    Hi guys thank you for the feed back.Right here goes.I planted it in the ground about mmmmm late march it looked ok it was on about the third leaf indoors.planted it out it slowed down so i fed it watered down chick poo. [dustbin full of water and a couple of pints of chicken pellets]Started...
    Hi guys thank you for the feed back.Right here goes.I planted it in the ground about mmmmm late march it looked ok it was on about the third leaf indoors.planted it out it slowed down so i fed it watered down chick poo. [dustbin full of water and...
    Hi guys thank you for the feed back.Right here goes.I planted it in the ground about mmmmm late march it looked ok it was on about the third leaf indoors.planted it out it slowed down so i fed it...
    Replies:
    Views:
  4. Honey Bee

Poorly Bananas??????

Cheers BM - I shall post the results when they start to grow! :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  5. Bilbo675

Yucca aloifolia purpurea

beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    beautiful dark foliage.
    Replies:
    Views:
  6. Banana Man

Banana Man's May Hide-out....

What a grey day ! :( Must be time to get the camera out and spend an hour on an update :D
    What a grey day ! :( Must be time to get the camera out and spend an hour on an update :D
    Replies:
    Views:
  7. Sirius

Utricularia

Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds...
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds need time, but are not too difficult to germinate.
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds need time, but are not too difficult to germinate.
    Very kind of you to offer, thank you. If you can get fresh seeds, try growing u. westonii (Polypompholyx). I grew these partially submerged and the bright pink flowers where amazing. The seeds...
    Replies:
    Views:
  8. longk

Advice on Alstromeria and Moraea seeds please

Victoria - here is the Alstro that the seeds came from..................I'm trying to grow the seed to see if the slight variegation in the foliage will disappear.
    Victoria - here is the Alstro that the seeds came from..................I'm trying to grow the seed to see if the slight variegation in the foliage will disappear.
    Replies:
    Views:
  9. Victoria
    Like x 9

PROTEA 'TANGO" Orange Pincushion (Leucospermum)

I have always thought cold tea was good for plants, ;) I have even put J's coffee grounds on things. And milk that has gone off, watered down. I was brought up to use what is available.
    I have always thought cold tea was good for plants, ;) I have even put J's coffee grounds on things. And milk that has gone off, watered down. I was brought up to use what is available.
    Replies:
    Views:
  10. sal73

Terminalia chebula

I`ve just asked my mate Tony , who so far have grown about 250 plants out of seeds from shop , it`s basicly a tropical wallnut , so will die around the 3rd year if is potted , seams that really...
    I`ve just asked my mate Tony , who so far have grown about 250 plants out of seeds from shop , it`s basicly a tropical wallnut , so will die around the 3rd year if is potted , seams that really hate confined roots , the leaves of the young plant are really big ...so worth try one and see what...
    I`ve just asked my mate Tony , who so far have grown about 250 plants out of seeds from shop , it`s basicly a tropical wallnut , so will die around the 3rd year if is potted , seams that really hate confined roots , the leaves of the young plant...
    I`ve just asked my mate Tony , who so far have grown about 250 plants out of seeds from shop , it`s basicly a tropical wallnut , so will die around the 3rd year if is potted , seams that really...
    Replies:
    Views:
  11. walnut

bananas

It would be interesting to know how effective that method would be in the UK. Given our damp winters, and much cooler less humid summers, I somehow think that initial growth in spring could be...
    It would be interesting to know how effective that method would be in the UK. Given our damp winters, and much cooler less humid summers, I somehow think that initial growth in spring could be very slow to start, but as I say its interesting.
    It would be interesting to know how effective that method would be in the UK. Given our damp winters, and much cooler less humid summers, I somehow think that initial growth in spring could be very slow to start, but as I say its interesting.
    It would be interesting to know how effective that method would be in the UK. Given our damp winters, and much cooler less humid summers, I somehow think that initial growth in spring could be...
    Replies:
    Views:
  12. Scotkat

Dendrobium Orchids

Depending on which Dendro species they are they may appreciate a cool spell........This is the trick for the D.kingianium in the photo below.
    Depending on which Dendro species they are they may appreciate a cool spell........This is the trick for the D.kingianium in the photo below.
    Replies:
    Views:
  13. daz and debs

banana book?

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a book on growing bananas please thank you ..daz
    Hi can anyone tell me if there is a book on growing bananas please thank you ..daz
    Replies:
    Views:
  14. sal73

Orach red

It is a bit of a bully but not so bad.. My friend grows it & this is what she says..
    It is a bit of a bully but not so bad.. My friend grows it & this is what she says..
    Replies:
    Views:
  15. richardb

Trouble with Cannas

My Dad's got some which hadn't flowered before, he moved them to a very sunny spot in the garden last year and they flowered well - so it seems like position is important, as others have said!
    My Dad's got some which hadn't flowered before, he moved them to a very sunny spot in the garden last year and they flowered well - so it seems like position is important, as others have said!
    Replies:
    Views:
  16. Greybelle

Help with figs

Looks like you will be getting some ripe figs this year.
    Replies:
    Views:
  17. liliana

Commelina Dianthifolia

I have never grown this plant before, so thought I would give it a go. :ideaIPB: I Have 7 plants in my conservatory, and for the past 2 months have started happily flowering away. :yes:. How long can I...
    I have never grown this plant before, so thought I would give it a go. :ideaIPB: I Have 7 plants in my conservatory, and for the past 2 months have started happily flowering away. :yes:. How long can I expect them to keep flowering,Do I cut them back/do they die down by themselves?, any information would...
    I have never grown this plant before, so thought I would give it a go. :ideaIPB: I Have 7 plants in my conservatory, and for the past 2 months have started happily flowering away. :yes:. How long can I expect them to keep flowering,Do I cut them back/do...
    I have never grown this plant before, so thought I would give it a go. :ideaIPB: I Have 7 plants in my conservatory, and for the past 2 months have started happily flowering away. :yes:. How long can I...
    Replies:
    Views:
  18. al n

browning leaves on phoenix palm ( CIDP)?

I thought they might be new purchases, just wondering how used they are to out lousy outdoor conditions. On the other had it could be sun scorch from the warm spell a week or more ago.
    I thought they might be new purchases, just wondering how used they are to out lousy outdoor conditions. On the other had it could be sun scorch from the warm spell a week or more ago.
    Replies:
    Views:
  19. ricky101
    Replies:
    Views:
  20. Carllennon

Will this grow new shoots?

Thanks for the replies. I might just keep it now :)
    Replies:
    Views:

Thread Display Options

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice